Start by marking “A Study in Silks (The Baskerville Affair, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Study in Silks (The Baskerville Affair, #1)

A Study in Silks (The Baskerville Affair #1)

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,896 Ratings  ·  423 Reviews
London, April 4, 1888 ~ Evelina Cooper, niece of Sherlock Holmes, is ready for her first London Season - except for a murderer, missing automatons, a sorcerer, and a talking mouse. In a Victorian era ruled by a ruthless steam baron council, mechanical power is the real monarch, and sorcery the demon enemy of the empire. Evelina has secretly mastered a coveted weapon - magi ...more
Published September 24th 2013 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about A Study in Silks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Study in Silks

Soulless by Gail CarrigerLeviathan by Scott WesterfeldBoneshaker by Cherie PriestPerdido Street Station by China MiévilleThe Time Machine by H.G. Wells
Best Steampunk Books
114th out of 810 books — 3,774 voters
Soulless by Gail CarrigerEtiquette & Espionage by Gail CarrigerChasing the Star Garden by Melanie KarsakLady of Devices by Shelley AdinaCinder by Marissa Meyer
Buttkicking Female Steampunk
6th out of 73 books — 59 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh (the Grinch)
I'm a somewhat impatient reader. I don't mind a long book, but it has to be worth the investment, and I felt that this very, very long book was not worth the time and effort that I have devoted to it.

This book has the feel of Anne Perry's Charlotte & Thomas Pitt series, without the sensible plot development, without the complex character portrayal, with a largely forgettable cast. What it does have (to its detriment), is a predictable and stupid love triangle, a boring main character---who,
Maria Snyder
Aug 29, 2013 Maria Snyder rated it really liked it
This book isn't out yet, but the editor sent me a copy to read and give a cover quote if I liked it. Well, I didn't read it fast enough to give a quote, but I did enjoy it.

The setting is very similar to the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger - Victorian England with steampunk and magic. While Gail's book has vampires and werewolves as part of the story, A Study in Silks has a different magic system. Also the main character, Evelina is younger and on the verge of her debutante season.

E
Allison
Re-posting review to coincide with book publication on September 24th, 2013.
-------------------------

A Study in Silks is still lingering in my mind. It ended up having depths to it that I really didn't expect from a historical mystery/romance. Often even when I enjoy a book, it's easy to move right on to the next one, but this is making me pause for a moment to absorb it all. I'm so thankful that I don't have to wait a year for the next two books, since they are all being released this year.

It's
Jacob Proffitt
Oct 31, 2013 Jacob Proffitt rated it really liked it
Through most of this book, I couldn't make up my mind if I liked it or not. There were so many elements that could break badly so the jury remained out, even as the story was gripping enough to keep me going. Fortunately, my worst fears were never realized and Holloway even managed a deeply satisfying ending (though not in ways you'd think).

There are three elements that niggled at me the most. First was the love triangle. I hate these things and wish authors would just stop. And this one felt as
Mogsy (MMOGC)
A Study in Silks was a book I won from a Goodreads giveaway. Part steampunk historical mystery and part fantasy paranormal romance, I was initially drawn to the story's setting as well as its description of the main character Evelina Cooper as being the niece of the great Sherlock Holmes.

Eveline, however, is not solely defined by her famous uncle, and I liked how Emma Jane Holloway has given her character an exceptional background with which to distinguish herself. Thanks to her Granny Holmes,
Angela
2 September 2015: $0.99 on Kindle

2.7 stars is where I think I end up.

I expected a lot from this book when I started it - it's hard not to when the author puts Sherlock Holmes in the mix, even if we are dealing with his niece. While in some aspects it didn't disappoint, in others it sorely left me wanting.

See my full review on my blog or booklikes

The last 15% of this book were what I was hoping for from the entire thing. I need to write my review to figure out where I stand all together though.

Re
Cora Tea Party Princess
Sep 21, 2013 Cora Tea Party Princess rated it really liked it
From the very start I was hooked. This is steampunk world building at it's best. The writing is great, the characters are great and the sense of mystery is entrancing.

A superb, complex and believable Steampunk world comes to life on these pages. The technologies are inspiring, the world a dark, dark place, especially if you fall foul of the steam barons. The author has taken inspiration from Sherlock Holmes and really made it work, weaving it wonderfully into this story - the result is quite spl
Sabrina
First off, let me declare that I strongly disapprove of fanfiction.

That being said, if we uprooted the fanfiction from this book, I could like it. It would still have its flaws, but it would be likeable.
As it is, it's been a dreadful experience.

When I picked up this from Netgalley, I was blinded by the cover and the words “steampunk”, “murder”, “sorcery” and “mystery”. So what if the heroine is supposed to be Sherlock Holmes’ niece? It will be just a little mention here and there…

That wretched k
Erin
Jul 08, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk, netgalley
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

If I have a literary guilty pleasure, it's steampunk. I'm not a huge fan of science fiction, but there is something about the sub-genre that appeals to me in a way I can't explain. It's fun, it's imaginative and I get a kick seeing what authors are capable of when allowed to play in an alternative time period littered with retro-futuristic gadgets.

Generally speaking, I gravitate toward adult titles like Steampunk Darcy or H
Mara
3 1\2
A Study in Silks has many readers as its intended target:
-Fans of Sherlock Holmes will appreciate the many hints to the classic works of Conan Doyle (starting from the title) and his cameos
-Fans of steampunk will cheer the alternate world Ms Holloway has created.
-Fans of UF will love the mix of magic and technology it entails.

The mix of steampunk and UF was well blended and created a world-building in which I was elated to sink my teeth into. You will find a historical mystery, a touch o
Feminista
Aug 29, 2013 Feminista rated it it was ok
Rating: 2.5 out of 5.

This could have been a lovely book, if it weren't for the characters.

From the start, I disliked the love triangle between Evelina, Nick and Tobias. I normally don't mind love triangles but I hated Evelina's crush on Tobias. I couldn't understand what she found attractive in him.

Was it his drinking, gambling or sleeping around ways? The slightest favourable thing about him was his ability to make things. But even that paled a lot next to his fickle character and his character
Kara-karina
Nov 23, 2013 Kara-karina rated it really liked it
This was really pleasurable steampunk fiction, ladies and gents. Not steampunk-ish which is pretty popular these days, but something that was full of delightful cogs and gadgets, and with a whole empire running on steam. Loved it!

Steven Harper, Meljean Brook and Pip Ballantine and Tee Morris come to mind. So if you enjoyed their books, you shouldn't have a problem liking A Study in Silks.

There are three elements which made this book for me.

First of all, British Empire is ruled by a council of g
Buddy read with Ange

After really enjoying the prequel short story The Adventure of the Woolaston Ritual (you can read that for free on the author's website) I was really looking forward to reading A Study in Silks. Unfortunately although I liked the story it failed to live up to expectations and I didn't enjoy it as much as I expected to. I think my main issues were to do with the pacing, this is a long book (over 500 pages) and at times it really struggled to hold my interest. I think the main
Gwynn White
I love stumbling upon books which leave me longing for the next in the series. A Study in Silks is definitely one of those. Happily, I don't have to wait to long because the next two books will be out before the end of the year. I will definitely be reading them.

I saw A Study in Silks on Netgalley and was beguiled by the premise. . .

In this steampunk whodunit, Emma Jane Holloway weaves an imaginative story around Sherlock Holmes's niece, Evelina Cooper. Evelina is a girl caught between two wor
Chris N
Jul 06, 2013 Chris N rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I have read some steampunk book and have enjoyed the ones that I have read. This is the first steampunk/magic one that I have read and even though I am only 75% through it I am enjoying it so much I wanted to write a review now.

I love the interaction of the characters and the sprinkling of Sherlock Holmes in there as well. The one thing that struck me was the attention to detail and the use of language in the story. Eveline is a strong and gutsy woman who doesn't back down. You can feel the tens
Beth
Evelina, the niece of Sherlock Holmes, is trying to make her way in the Victorian era's society. Joining her friend for their coming out, she is caught in a murder mystery...a young maid has been murdered with magical traces left behind. Trying to save the reputation of the kind family that has taken her in for the season, Evelina slowly uncovers truths that can destroy all she cares about.

There might be a Queen of England but the “steam barons” are ruling the country by monopolizing the utilit
edifanob
Dec 29, 2013 edifanob rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books, 2013-reads
A good start into a new series.
There are steampunk elements combined with dark arts, detective story, romance and a look behind the scene of the Victorian nobility.

Romance is not my cup of tea. Therefore I skimmed over the romance passages.
The main character Evelina Cooper is the niece of Sherlock Holmes. But from my point of view it was not really necessary to involve him and Dr. Watson.

Anyway I will read the following two books
- A Study in Darkness and A Study in Ashes
Hilary
Jun 18, 2014 Hilary rated it really liked it
A steampunk mystery set in a universe where magic is present but forbidden within the British Empire (not that this stops people, of course) and where London is controlled by an uneasy local monopoly of steam barons.

Evelina, daughter of gentry and a soldier, is torn between her two worlds, the circus where she grew up and the "civilized" society she was brought into. She can't subjugate all her old skills and instincts while acting the proper debutante - and indeed has something to hide - but n
Dark Faerie Tales
Nov 14, 2013 Dark Faerie Tales rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: Evelina Cooper is a girl on a mission in this entertaining, hilarious tale. A mystery tale with betrayals, tension, and new questions at every turn!

Opening Sentence: Evelina froze, a breath half taken catching in her throat, nerves tingling down every limb.

The Review:

Evelina Cooper, the niece of the famous detective Sherlock Holmes, uses magic. She can talk to devas, spirits of certain elements, and she also has a few other special talents
Fangs for the Fantasy
Sep 10, 2013 Fangs for the Fantasy rated it really liked it
Though Evelina Cooper is gentry, she is a woman caught between worlds. As the niece of the famous detective Sherlock Holmes, when a young maid is murdered she is determined to find justice but at the same time Evelina must be careful as her best friend's family is indicated in wrong doing. If that were not enough, Evelina is pulled by her past when her lost childhood love makes an appearance. With him comes the danger of discovering she is a magical person in a society that has outlawed magic.

Ho
April Steenburgh
Jun 25, 2013 April Steenburgh rated it it was amazing
"...this visit is clearly not being spent with finding a husband in mind."
Eveline made a sound a protest. "There was only the one corpse"(A Study in Silks, Holloway).

Eveline is the niece of Sherlock Holmes, and appears to have inherited both his acute attentive curiosity as well as his inability to quite fit in with societies expectations of normal. While visiting her friend Imogen, right before the start of their Season, the body of a murdered servant girl is found in the house, and Evelina fin
Jaclyn
A Study in Silks is a steampunk mystery from debut author, Emma Jane Holloway. Holloway creates a Victorian London that explores the Industrial Age with steam. In Silks, London is essentially ruled by the steam barons that control the power to various sectors of the city. The peerage is rather immobilized in this Steam Age because they do not have the financial backing that the steam barons have claimed. In this society the steam barons rule with an iron fists, making sure that no one poses a th ...more
Victoria
Jul 08, 2013 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
For this and other review please visit Zemfirka Blogs...

Egalley courtesy of Random House Publishing Group - Del Rey Spectra via NetGalley in exchange for fair and honest review.

A Study in Silks is a charming, steampunk murder mystery from a debut author Emma Jane Holloway, which I was fortunate enough to read ahead of its release date. Having read the description on the NetGalley website, I had to click the request button at once. What more one can wish for? It seemed this was a perfect book f
Elaine
Jul 17, 2013 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow I loved this book, it had eveything, action. mystery, romance. magic and steampunk.
The action starts from the very beginning and straight away you are thrown into the world of Evelina Cooper.
I liked the fact that the first chapter introduced you to all the major players and started with the action straight away and the action just flowed at a nice pace to keep you reading and wanting more.
The world created was perfect and I visulized the london the author creayed. The world created was belie
Karissa
Sep 15, 2013 Karissa rated it really liked it
I got a copy of this book to review through NetGalley(dot)com. I love steampunk books and thought the idea of following a character around that was Sherlock Holme’s neice was a good one. This book has two more books planned in the series. The second book will be titled, A Study in Darkness, and is planned to have an October 2013 release. The third book will be titled, A Study in Ashes, and is planned to release in November 2013. I really enjoyed this book a lot.

Evelina was raised by her grandmot
Alessandra
Sep 17, 2013 Alessandra rated it really liked it
E-galley received through Netgalley for review.

Need next book(s) in the series *right now*.

Evelina Cooper, the niece of detective Shelock Holmes, has finished school and is about to enter her first Season in London. She's been living with her friend Imogen, the daughter of Lord Bancroft - a politician and former ambassador. However, when one of the Bancroft servants is murdered, Evelina begins her own investigation to discover the name of the killer.

The world in which Ms Holloway's series is set
Gawelleb
May 11, 2015 Gawelleb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
un twist final qui me fait trépigner ! J'espère que Bragelonne va sortir la suite sinon...vo
Mandy
Jul 17, 2015 Mandy rated it liked it
Shelves: recommended
I’m pretty torn on this book.

On the one hand, I really really like the world that Holloway creates. Steam barons are the new aristocrats because they hold all the control to powering and heating the city. They’re the evil mobsters of the city. Magic is outlawed and punishable by death or “testing” done by royally sanctioned scientists. Very cool world.

I liked Evelina’s backstory and how she tries to hide her unique gifts and talents. I liked that, even with the steampunk aspect, this world sti
Brackman1066
Mar 21, 2014 Brackman1066 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up-on
Dear "Study in Silks"
I'm giving up on you. It's not you, though, it's me. You weren't listed as YA, but let's see what I encountered in your first third:
* Teenage heroine? Check
* . . .who has mysterious powers? Check.
* . . . who lacks a familial support network? Check.
* . . . who lives in a dystopian society controlled by bad guys in a thinly-veiled allegory about modern culture? Check.
* . . . who is drawn to two different boys but WHICH will she CHOOSE? Check.

That was enough to make my YA aller
νєяαℓι∂αιиє
Alright, so I know there's a few complaints about this book in that some people think the representation of Sherlock Holmes is way off the canon. And yes, I must admit a couple of times I bulked at how he behaved/what he said. But only twice.

One of these peculiar un-Sherlock-Holmes type moments was entirely just to fit in with the setting of the story. The canon was set in the real world, this book is not, and so I think it is fair to alter one personality trait to fit the plot. (I am being del
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 11, 2015 09:48AM
  • Her Ladyship's Curse (Disenchanted & Co., Book 1, Part #1)
  • The Red Plague Affair (Bannon & Clare, #2)
  • Gossamer Wing (Steam and Seduction, #1)
  • Heart of Brass (Clockwork Agents, #1)
  • Tarnished (The St. Croix Chronicles, #1)
  • Bronze Gods (Apparatus Infernum, #1)
  • The Impossible Cube (Clockwork Empire, #2)
  • A Clockwork Heart (The Chronicle of Light and Shadow, #2)
  • Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2)
  • The Janus Affair (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #2)
  • The Diabolical Miss Hyde (Electric Empire, #1)
  • The Hunter (The Legend Chronicles, #1)
  • Steam & Sorcery (Gaslight Chronicles, #1)
  • Skies of Fire (The Ether Chronicles, #1)
  • The Miss Education of Dr. Exeter (Paranormal Investigator, #3)
  • The Mysterious Lady Law
Ever since childhood, Emma Jane Holloway refused to accept that history was nothing but facts prisoned behind the closed door of time. Why waste a perfectly good playground coloring within the timelines? Accordingly, her novels are filled with whimsical impossibilities and the occasional eye-blinking impertinence—but always in the service of grand adventure.

Struggling between the practical and the
More about Emma Jane Holloway...

The Baskerville Affair (4 books)
  • A Study in Darkness (The Baskerville Affair, #2)
  • A Study in Ashes (The Baskerville Affair, #3)
  • The Baskerville Affair Complete Series 3-Book Bundle: A Study in Silks, A Study in Darkness, A Study in Ashes (plus three short stories)

“That's the trouble with gathering truth. It's never neat and tidy...” 7 likes
“Finding a proper husband is rather like selecting a hound. They all have more bark than bite, my girl. One day you'll look across the breakfast table and realize the only option is obedience training. -Grandmamma Holmes” 5 likes