Shut Up & Read discussion

Archives > Do you re-read?

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 240 comments Do you re-read books? I do, I have some I've read many times. There are probably too many to list, if I am honest. Some I turn to as I'm comfortable with them, they suit a need for example. Or I am stuck with what to read next.

Anyone else re-read? If not, what is the reason?

message 2: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new)

Leigh | 15414 comments Mod
Yes, I re-read. The books I love I have no problem re-reading them.

message 3: by Keep Calm (new)

Keep Calm Novel On (keepcalmandnovelon) | 165 comments I often reread a book I can't live without

message 4: by Dr.N-mila (last edited Nov 08, 2014 01:27PM) (new)

Dr.N-mila Nop I don't like to reread books unless it's a very very interesting one

message 5: by John (new)

John (jross00) | 44 comments there are some books I re-read. there are just some books so good that just have to read it more than once

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Leiva (jensters) | 1 comments I like to think of it as re-watching your favorite movie. I enjoy reliving the emotions I felt from reading it the first time.

message 7: by Niah (new)

Niah Patterson  (goodreadscomniahpatterson) | 2 comments Sometimes I read books years ago and I forest what they're about so I re-read. Or because I find out wayyy down the road a book is a part of a series so I re-read the 1st before I go on. Or because I loved the book. Or because I want to pick it apart . Or because I didn't understand it . So many reasons lol

message 8: by Rachel Joy (new)

Rachel Joy I do re-read my favorite books/authors. For instance, I am re-reading all of Jane Austen's novels with my teenage daughter.
Sometimes I think I should have a TBRR shelf, alongside my TBR shelf because there are a growing number of books I do want to re-read. And like you, Niah, if I want to read a book in a series and haven't read it for a while, I will go back and do it all over again. I'm actually in that position right now as a very old, very good friend just gifted me a copy of Prince Lestat and I read the first four of this series years and years ago. It was such a sweet gesture from this friend but I feel a moral, ethical obligation to go back, re-read the first 4 and all the rest in the series, which is quite extensive at this point, so that I can know what's going on when I get to my gift.
Crazy, huh ;)??

message 9: by Rae (new)

Rae King (abookishgirl4) | 3 comments I'm a big re-reader! Just like Jennifer said, Its just like watching a movie more than once. I enjoy re-reading books that I love after I have forgotten all the minor details. And if I have to wait a year for the next installment in a series, I always re-read the previous ones.

message 10: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) I'm a constant re-reader, particularly when I'm busy or tired. It's like putting on a comfy set of clothes and totally relaxing.

message 11: by Niah (new)

Niah Patterson  (goodreadscomniahpatterson) | 2 comments Yes indeed I absolutely agree though !! :)

message 12: by Camillia (new)

Camillia (Twenty Three Pages) (camilliadeborah) | 15 comments I don't like to re-read. There are so many books out there. So many new adventures and characters to fall in love with.

message 13: by Deeann (new)

Deeann (forevereader61) | 50 comments Never !!!! The only way I re-read is by accident ... I might have read a book a long time ago and forgot that I read it already .... At some point I usually recall the story and just skim until the end !

message 14: by Camillia (new)

Camillia (Twenty Three Pages) (camilliadeborah) | 15 comments Deeann wrote: "Never !!!! The only way I re-read is by accident ... I might have read a book a long time ago and forgot that I read it already .... At some point I usually recall the story and just skim until th..."

Ooh yes! I do that too! I skim the book and pick out my favourite bits if I really loved the book.

message 15: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 240 comments I have certain books I'll re-read, mostly classics or true crime. There is something comforting about a familiar book.

message 16: by Satinder (new)

Satinder I definitely re-read. Some books are just that good and yes, its certainly the comfort factor of a familiar world and characters. When I need cheering up, I often go back and immerse myself in a world I was happy in. Cheaper than therapy!

Jane Eyre is my most re-read book. Currently I'm re-reading the Mortal Instruments.

message 17: by C.D. (new)

C.D. Gorri (cdgorri) | 10 comments Yes!! Some books just deserve a re-read and when I re-read others it is like visiting old friends

message 18: by Deeann (new)

Deeann (forevereader61) | 50 comments Camilla....I totally get it ! Too many books too little time !

message 19: by Emory (new)

Emory Skwara (emoryxskwara) | 3 comments It's really rare if I re-read a book, like next to never. I think it's happened a few times. I agree with Camilla and Deeann. If I re-read a book, I start thinking about other books I haven't read yet.

message 20: by -RininTa- (last edited Nov 15, 2014 05:46PM) (new)

-RininTa- (rinz) | 159 comments I do reread but only the book that I love or like. Sometimes I do it if I'm bored or if the book that I'm reading moves slow. So it can help me to get up my mood again.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I rarely re-read. I have a TBRR pile of books I'd love to re-read, but I always feel guilty when I start one because of ALL THE NEW BOOKS I could be reading instead...and I just don't read that fast to begin with. I've been thinking of getting audio versions of re-reads, so I can enjoy them in a different format while I'm busy doing other things.

Amy (DemonKittie) (demonkittie) | 502 comments I do re-read but only certain books and normally about once every 10 years or so save for like The Zombie Survival Guide. I try to read that every year.

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisabeepatrick) | 3 comments Well, it depends on how I feel. I may not go back an re-read the entire book. Usually, I make a note of interesting passages or turns of phrase or just really interesting stuff in general.
What I always will re-read are plays. Each time I see a play of a book I have already read, I may go back and examine the differences. There are always new things to discover in plays!

In short- yes.

message 24: by Jan (new)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson (janhurst-nicholson) | 10 comments I very rarely re-read a book because I read to learn 'what happens next'. However, I do re-read Monica Dickens' early books for the sheer enjoyment of her wonderful characterisation, The Fancy being my favourite.

message 25: by Josephine (new)

Josephine McNabb | 3 comments I do re-read books because, I remember that I enjoyed them and as time passes, I forget why... I also love re-reading my fav books like Immortals After Dark series by Kresley Cole.

message 26: by Shahbaz (new)

Shahbaz (abelisii) | 163 comments Also re-read books. Dresden Files, Demon Cycle, MHI, few others, I usually look for links in the earlier books that show in later books.

message 27: by Benjamin (last edited Mar 01, 2015 04:12PM) (new)

Benjamin Kuttner | 10 comments I re-read classics like Sherlock Holmes or The Count of Monte Cristo as they are firmly set in a specific era so the language and style never seems to date. Other books like the reviewer above said, 'as time passes, I forget why [I liked them]' - so the Da Vinci Code and others get a re-read.

message 28: by Linda (new)

Linda Dobinson (baspoet) I re-read my favourite books, I have read Pride & Prejudice three times and Jane Eyre, there is always something new to find.

message 29: by Mari (new)

Mari Hamill | 17 comments I used to re-read books for research purposes.

message 30: by Faith (new)

Faith McKay (faithmckay) | 26 comments I re-read all the time! It's a little funny when I always have a big TBR pile, but I love reading books I know I love. It's comforting to revisit worlds I know and love. Also, sometimes I get a book hangover and just can not move on to a new world yet, so I start over.

I recently read Fangirl a bunch of times over, I've reread The Hunger Games series a few times.

I wish there was a better way to keep track of the number of times I reread books on goodreads, just because it's fun to know.

message 31: by E.A. (last edited Mar 31, 2015 09:28AM) (new)

E.A. | 50 comments Yes, I re-read.

I can't help it, sometimes when I start to remember a book, I get a itch and I have to re-read it.

message 32: by E.G. (new)

E.G. Manetti (thornraven) What Emily-Ann said. Also, Satinder - Jane Eyre is my favorite and I re-read every couple of years. In fact, I'm so into re-reading that my 5-star ratings pretty recognize I know I'm going to reread. ;D

message 33: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Detwiler | 3 comments I never re-read only because there are always spook many books on my reading list that I feel like I don't want to waste time on a book I know ...I like to try to discover more. I had a quote in my classroom that said "So many books, so little time," which is exactly my motto.

message 34: by Paula (new)

Paula E. (paulaes) | 6 comments Totally and always <3 all my favs

I think Goodreads could have a way to mark how many times you re-read. Would be awesome to actually contabilize how many times do you read a book, series....

message 35: by E.A. (new)

E.A. | 50 comments Paula wrote: "Totally and always <3 all my favs

I think Goodreads could have a way to mark how many times you re-read. Would be awesome to actually contabilize how many times do you read a book, series...."

That would be awesome. It could be in the review panel, under date read, then have another column with an add option for second date read, and so on.

message 36: by Bunny (new)

Bunny (BunnyJey) | 1 comments I haven't yet, but I've been thinking about it. But I've been so busy with work that I haven't really read anything in weeks :(....

Common Summer!

-Bunny Out

message 37: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 240 comments I find all sorts of new things when I re-read.

message 38: by J.K. (new)

J.K. Ullrich (jkullrich) Absolutely! There are some books I've read half a dozen times and still notice something new every time. Other books are the intellectual equivalent of a favorite sweatshirt: comforting to wrap yourself in, no matter how worn the fabric or the pages.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) Very rarely. The book has to be extra good for me to read it again. If I really enjoyed it the first time around, it earns a spot on my Keepers Shelf, which is for books I can see myself re-reading in the future, and would definitely pass on to people.