Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > computer game book from the early 90's??

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi. I remember reading a book in the 80's or early 90's when I was about 11 maybe...it was about a boy and a girl who played a computer game and when they got to a certain level, they were magically sucked into the game. It might have had 'space' something in the title? But maybe not. My son just said he'd love to read a book about that and my memories of this book came flooding back! I really enjoyed it as a kid but can't for the life of me think what it was called.

Any ideas?

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin Pauley | 12 comments the twilight realm by: Chrisopher Carpenter?? maybe

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) That was a big theme back then. Lots of books 'like that' are available. I'm not sure, based on your description, what the particular one you're remembering is.

Off the top of my head:
Invitation to the Game
Deadly Pink (and the others in that universe)
There's also
The Faces Of Fear
Epic

I'm sure there are more, too. Maybe on one of these Listopias:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

(also, can you or mod change subject line to be more helpful, so this thread can be reference for other seekers of the theme?)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you. I have changed the title to hopefully a better one. None of those titles sound familiar unfortunately but I will google them just in case, and check out those lists too, thanks Cheryl. I had no idea it was such a popular theme! It is the only one I read like it. It might not be so easy to find after all.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, I found it! Space Demons by Australian author Gillian Rubinstein (makes sense as I'm in Australia and we probably had to read it for school). So excited :-)

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Space Demons is also a trilogy, it seems:
Space Demons: The Trilogy

Thanks for the better thread title and for letting us know you've found it! I hope you can get a copy and that your son likes it.

Btw, I really enjoyed the first two books I recommended up there, by Hughes and Van de Velde.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Cheryl, I will check those ones out too.