Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)
This topic is about Eragon
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Paolini, Christopher ; Eragon (Inheritance Cycle #1) ; Informal Buddy Read Start Date 17 January 2015

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Nov 06, 2014 02:14AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30937 comments Mod

One boy . . .

One dragon . . .

A world of adventure.

When Eragon finds a polished blue stone in the forest, he thinks it is the lucky discovery of a poor farm boy; perhaps it will buy his family meat for the winter. But when the stone brings a dragon hatchling, Eragon soon realizes he has stumbled upon a legacy nearly as old as the Empire itself.

Overnight his simple life is shattered, and he is thrust into a perilous new world of destiny, magic, and power. With only an ancient sword and the advice of an old storyteller for guidance, Eragon and the fledgling dragon must navigate the dangerous terrain and dark enemies of an Empire ruled by a king whose evil knows no bounds.

Can Eragon take up the mantle of the legendary Dragon Riders? The fate of the Empire may rest in his hands.

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

What is a buddy read?

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book

EXPECT SPOILERS!

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30937 comments Mod
reserved

message 3: by Kaora (new)

Kaora (ophelja) I will join this one. I need a kick to finally read this.

message 4: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14346 comments Mod
Same here! My sister has been telling me about this series for years.
What date in Jan suits?

message 5: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sounds good

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4308 comments Are you thinking of reading all four books in this series?

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I'm in and I'd like to read all them in the series.

message 8: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Provided I like the first one, I'm up for reading the whole series

message 9: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (shelld79) | 288 comments I've had this one at home for a very long time so this might be a good incentive for me to finally get to reading it!
Count me in!

message 10: by Sydney (new) - added it

Sydney | 92 comments I'm in!

Jackie | 1908 comments I'm in. I've had this on my TBR for a long time.

message 12: by Jex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments I own this so I'm adding it to my calendar. Been on my TBR for quite some time.

Allison Ann | 1408 comments Twice I have tried to read this book, twice I have given up after a dozen or so pages. Maybe with others to discuss it with I will have more success. :D

message 14: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

*claps*
welcome everyone

message 15: by Caron (new) - rated it 1 star

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 210 comments My friend loaned me the book a few months ago and he's getting agitated because I still haven't read it yet. So I'm going to take part in this. Definitely in!

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 699 comments I need to read this bad

Mirliz | 373 comments Can we participate even if we've read it before? I still haven't gotten around to reading the 4th book but I need to re-read book 1-3 first.

message 18: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Of course Mirliz -welcome! Just be clear and use spoiler tags if you are referring to anything that is about the series for those who haven't read that far ahead :)

message 19: by Caron (new) - rated it 1 star

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 210 comments Are we still planning on reading this book?

Jackie | 1908 comments I've just started today.

message 21: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I got my copy today

message 22: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Finished the chapter "Tea for Two" which is up to page 55 in my version.

Initial thoughts...

I quite like the world, I think it is interesting and the protagonist is generally likeable so far, as is his family. At times I find the writing style a little juvenile, which I guess is to be expected from a 15 year old author. I also think there is a fair bit of 'obvious' plot building happening which gives it all the markings of a classic fantasy tale.
(view spoiler)

message 23: by Caron (new) - rated it 1 star

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 210 comments I'm just about to start this.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I finished the book. Here are my notes on it.

I've always wanted to read this book series because I bought them when they came out for my son. He read them and liked them. I didn't get to reading this book until now.

I knew that the influences were strong in LOTR and Star Wars. In one of my groups this was listed at one of the worst fantasy books. I was surprised but read their reasons why. I can understand it because as I was reading the book, I felt there were parts that really lacked. I wouldn't give this book a one star. I gave it 3 because I liked it. The amazing things is that Christopher Paolini was 15 when he started to write the book and 19 when he finished it. This is amazing to me. Looking at the fact that a teen wrote this is just remarkable and I wish I had just some of that talent.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Oh wow. That's a great prologue. So much going on there. The first sentence alone, (view spoiler)

Amazing start to the entire book. I've only had two other books that have the best starts. One of them being The Gunslinger and the other The Martian.

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I'm loving the story of Eragon. I'm past you, I'm about page 50. Just starting the Chapter Tea for Two. I'm really liking it a lot.

The build up of the world is really nice. I was totally sucked in the story. (view spoiler)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I read half the book. Good gravy! This book is full of so much stuff.

(view spoiler)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I'm at the 3/4 mark in the book.

(view spoiler)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Karen wrote: "Finished the chapter "Tea for Two" which is up to page 55 in my version.

Initial thoughts...

I quite like the world, I think it is interesting and the protagonist is generally likeable so far, as..."

(view spoiler)

Jackie | 1908 comments I've read through A Miller-to-Be, 62 pages in my copy. So far the book has been standard setting up the world and introducing the characters. The writing does feel a little juvenile but that's to be expected considering the writer's age at the time. Regardless, the story is flowing smoothly and I'm enjoying it.

(view spoiler)

message 31: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm pausing for a few days as I don't get much reading done through the week (other than audiobooks), but I'll catch up soon!

message 32: by Caron (new) - rated it 1 star

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 210 comments Prologue - Palancar Valley:

(view spoiler)

Fantasy is my favourite genre but I've put this book so far in my mind that it never went on to my TBR shelf. I'm reading it for a friend and I want to put it down so bad, but I think a prologue and 2 chapters is hardly giving the book a chance. Onward we go!

message 33: by Caron (new) - rated it 1 star

Caron (diminishingthoughts) | 210 comments I can't finish this book. I know I said that I'd try, and I can't even get through 'Dragon Tales'. And that used to be my favourite show as a kid. But yes, maybe if I had read this when I was younger and hadn't delved so deep into the reading world I would have enjoyed it, but I can't. I'm 20 and usually I enjoy books with the main character being a teenager because it makes me imagine all the awesome things that I wished were real. But Eragon's world is confusing. Maybe that's just me. I wasn't here long, but thanks for having me either way. Happy reading further

message 34: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

No probs Caron. I find if I'm not enjoying something it is best to just move on!

Jackie | 1908 comments I've read through Magic Is the Simplest Thing, 151 pages. The book has been very predictable so far but I'm still enjoying it. Quite an easy read.

(view spoiler)

message 36: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

@Jackie

I'm about to start "Revelation at Yazuac" ; page 128

I agree about Brom. (view spoiler)

message 37: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

RachelvlehcaR wrote: "I read half the book. Good gravy! This book is full of so much stuff.
.."

I was so surprised about (view spoiler)

Jackie | 1908 comments I'm through Capture at Gil'ead, page 292.

(view spoiler)

Jackie | 1908 comments I finished. It was an okay read. Especially since it was written by an author so young. I'll probably read the next in the series sometime soon to see what happens next. I like all the main characters except Eragon who just gets on my nerves.

(view spoiler)

message 40: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Jan 31, 2015 12:46PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I agree with you Jackie. I finished it this morning and I did enjoy it because I made those allowances for the author's age and the demographic it is marketed to. I'm really interested in Angela and Solembum too. I hope they play a larger role in the next books.

My (older... over 40yrs old) sister loved the first and second books and then got annoyed because the trilogy was turned into a 4 part series and I know she ended up being really disappointed with the 3rd and 4th books.... So I'm not in a rush to keep going, but I may pick up book 2 at some point

message 41: by Allison Ann (last edited Feb 05, 2015 07:15PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Allison Ann | 1408 comments I'm almost halfway through this novel and it was clearly written by a young person greatly influenced by J.R.R. Tolkien, however I am enjoying it more than I thought I would. My least favourite plot device on earth is "I can't tell you what is really going on because of MYSTERIOUS REASONS so stop asking so many questions boy!!!!" so I am really glad that Brom seems to have gotten over that fairly quickly. Also the author clearly couldn't think up those mysterious reasons either. :)

message 42: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

lol
indeed ;)

Allison Ann | 1408 comments The more I read the less I like Eragon the character but the more I enjoy Eragon the book.

Jackie | 1908 comments I felt the same way, Allison Ann.

Allison Ann | 1408 comments Finished. This book sort of made me want to read the next one, which is more than I expected, so bravo 19 year old Paolini. :) I continued to dislike the main character. He's damn near useless. Useless shouldn't cut it in high fantasy. Useless should get you killed in a very messy way. When the hero makes a noble speech and it is written by someone like Tolkien or Guy Gavriel Kay (who, if you haven't read, what are you waiting for???) I can feel it and react to it and I forget I'm reading a story. Eragon's noble speech made me roll my eyes and wish that Ajihad would just kill him already. Yes it was derivative, yes it was basically fanfiction but I'd read this over 50 Shades of Crap any day of the year and that hack of an author didn't have youth as her excuse. ;)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Gunslinger (other topics)
The Martian (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

J.R.R. Tolkien (other topics)