Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > How to create an author profile if the author is dead?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Meyerovich (laurameyerovich) | 8 comments Herman Melville has a profile, but he obviously did not create an author account - how did it get there?
The reason I ask is that I have published a translation of a book by the person who died years ago. I would like to create an author page for him: list his other books, upload his photograph, add his quotes, etc. What is the process to do it?

Herman Melville Herman Melville

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42044 comments Mod
Laura wrote: "Herman Melville has a profile, but he obviously did not create an author account - how did it get there?"

Librarians added that information. Let us know what information should be added to https://www.goodreads.com/author/show..., and we can do that as well.

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Meyerovich (laurameyerovich) | 8 comments Thank you! Please add to Alexey Krylov's page

1. biography: copy from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksey...

2. How can I provide images?

3. Quotes:
True engineers must trust the eye more than any formula.

In engineering, there is no place for adjectives but only for numbers.

Statistics should consist not only in filling the register the size of a double bed sheet with useless numbers but in reducing these numbers
to a quarter of a page and in relating them to one another, making it possible to see what happened and to anticipate what is going to happen.

For the décor of the admiral’s cabin, majestic modesty of a pious bishop’s cell is more befitting than ostentatious luxury of a depraved
soubrette’s bedroom.

There are two groups of observational sciences. One is called exact—astronomy, physics, chemistry, and so on—and there is another:
black and white magic, astrology, graphology, chiromancy, and so on. This second group includes meteorology.

The ark was built by direct instructions of Divine Providence, therefore, everything in it was good, meaning the bulkheads were distributed
correctly, neither decks nor bulkheads leaked, and hatches were cut where necessary and did not weaken the strength of the ark.

Even the additions of Professor Baudouin de Courtenay to Dahl’s ''Dictionary of the Living Russian Language'' did not include the ensuing
sheer Volga eloquence

My father often expressed the view that foreign language should be taught in childhood in the same way as a puppy is taught to swim.
“Take it by the nape, and throw into a pond. If it floats, it would learn to swim. If it drowns, it would never learn.”

Thanks!

LauraAlexey Krylov

message 4: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments Hi Laura, I've updated the profile with a Wiki blurb, including a photo in the public domain. I also merged the profile with another that was already here, so he is now Alexey N. Krylov. I've also included a link to the Cyrillic-spelling profile that was already on Goodreads.

Incidentally, the book you added was already on Goodreads (which is why you had trouble adding the ISBN and had to put it, truncated, into the ISBN13 field). I have merged the duplicates.

message 5: by Z-squared (new)

Z-squared | 8580 comments and now the quotes are up, too.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Is this book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

the original Russian of your translated book, Laura?

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura Meyerovich (laurameyerovich) | 8 comments Yes, it is - the tenth edition. The first edition was in 1942 and is an absolute rarity. I own a 1945 edition, also a rarity, which I used to translate. The link above is the first one with two additions: an introduction by Andrey Kapitsa (of Antarctica Lake Vostok fame) and an appendix based on taped conversations with Krylov's daughter, the wife of a famous physicist Pyotr Kapitsa. I included both items in my translation.

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Thanks for confirming. Combined.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura Meyerovich (laurameyerovich) | 8 comments Please uncombine or make the English translation to show

it does not make sense to show the edition which is not available.

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Goodreads policy is that translations are combined with the original book.

Your edition is the one that shows up on your author page. As more users shelve it, it will also become the edition that shows up on the original author's age.