What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > sci-fi/fantasy possible YA book about space travel. read 25 years ago

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 16 comments Read it as a kid. I don't remember much except it had a teenager as the protagonist and there was an alien race that was teaching Earth humans Faster than light travel, there was someone studying sharks and there was some alien creature that was almost monkey-like and a sidekick. The protagonist became a stoy away and went into space and ended up on a space station and then another alien planet? sorry for the vagueness. it was a while ago... I loved it as a kid though.

message 2: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments Not a 100% match, but perhaps Childhood's End? For sure the stowaway part is there, also the alien race teaching humans things.

message 3: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 16 comments Thanks for the suggestion but that wasn't it.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37777 comments Mod
Bump. Nathan is still looking for this book.

I read this book late 80s, early 90s. It was about a teenager from earth who is then on an adventure in space. I remember there's an alien side kick as well as in the early parts of the book when on Earth there's scientists talking about sharks and how they need to keep moving to stay alive. An alien race had given Earth the ability to travel faster than light. The boy went to space and visited a few planets/space stations.

message 5: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 16 comments thanks Lobstergirl. I couldn't remember if I had already asked or not.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

No problem. An easy way to see all your old posts is to hover over your avatar next to one of your posts, click on "see comment history." Also useful over on the right on the page that comes up is "topics created by (username)."

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Nathan, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 8: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 16 comments Still haven’t found it...

message 9: by Ensign (new)

Ensign (ensignbell) | 28 comments Maybe the pride of chanur? feauters a human stowaway and there is an apelike alien race.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 10: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 16 comments Ensign, that sounds similar. Let me check it out.

message 11: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33423 comments Mod
Here's the Google Books preview of The Pride of Chanur by C.J. Cherryh - Ensign's suggestion - https://books.google.com/books?id=JdV...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Childhood's End (other topics)
The Pride of Chanur (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

C.J. Cherryh (other topics)