Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Archives (maybe Revisit) > Series Read: Butcher, Jim - Codex Alera series; Starts November 16, 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31507 comments Mod
Thread for the series buddy read of the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher.

Books:
Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, #1) by Jim Butcher Academ's Fury (Codex Alera, #2) by Jim Butcher Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera, #3) by Jim Butcher Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4) by Jim Butcher Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5) by Jim Butcher First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, #6) by Jim Butcher

Rules & How to:
1. Identify the book you are commenting
2. Comments ALWAYS under spoiler tags

Example:
Book 1:
(view spoiler)

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I'm excited! Jim Butcher is great.

message 5: by Mary C (last edited Nov 05, 2014 07:00AM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5189 comments It's no secret that I'm a Butcher fan. I belong to 2 Dresden Theme facebook groups.

eta: I need to get the 1st one from the library. Shouldn't take long.

message 6: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5189 comments As luck would have it, I was able to download the audio & ebook versions from the library.

message 7: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5189 comments So when are we starting?

message 8: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiab) Has anyone decided when we're going to start?

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I am starting as soon as I finish The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch . Let's start on Sunday!

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments If you have it and want to start now, I'll quickly catch up.

message 11: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5189 comments This weekend sounds good to me. Then I can finish up Whiskey Beach and the Johnny Cash bio first.

message 12: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiab) I'll probably start it tomorrow or the next day. I've got Locke to finish as well as 2 BRs.

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Sounds perfect. I'll pop in this weekend to start adding my thoughts.

message 14: by Michelle (last edited Nov 14, 2014 12:05PM) (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Just started chapter 1.

(view spoiler)
Wish I wasn't working all weekend so I could absorb myself in Alera.

message 15: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiab) I tried to put it down and start something else, but I couldn't help myself. I finished it last night (wee hours of this morning, really).

So good. I can't believe I didn't read it sooner.

I'm still left with the same question, although given some pretty huge hints, as I had almost at the beginning.

(view spoiler)

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I read WAY too late last night! This is a re-read for me. I'm designing a tabletop RPG for my group around the furies system so I'm reading through it with a different set of eyes. I love the world building Jim Butcher did with Alera. It really came to life for me.

Cynthia, I'm so glad you liked it! I should finish up tomorrow and will start book 2 soon.

message 17: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5189 comments I haven't started yet.

message 18: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Mary, I hope you like it! It's such a good series.

message 19: by Steven (new)

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4934 comments Gah, I have to jump in to this one really soon, as I love Jim Butcher and have put these off for far too long.

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Question for those of you through book 1:
Who is your favorite character? And if you had furies, what would you want them to be?
(view spoiler)

message 21: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiab) Furies of Calderon (The Codex Alera, #1) by Jim Butcher
Who is your favorite character? (view spoiler)

If you had furies, what would you want them to be?
(view spoiler)

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I just got my daughter to start Furies of Calderon! Very excited. I told her we would read and discuss them together. She isn't very far yet. (view spoiler) I told her I couldn't believe she stopped there! But she said the bell rang and she had to go to class. She and I will read more today.

message 23: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5189 comments I haven't started yet. I couldn't handle 2 door stoppers at once. But I just finished The Map of Time. Knocking out the 2nd Longmire book today and will start this tomorrow. I have it on audio & ebook.

message 24: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiab) @ Mary - I think you'll appreciate the pace of Furies after finishing Map of Time. I couldn't take it and returned it to the library, with no regrets.

I have Academ's Fury ready to go. I'm just waiting on someone else to start it with me.

message 25: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5189 comments I have that one too. I picked up at Big Lots a while ago. They have cheap audiobooks there.

message 26: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiab) I've never thought to look at Big Lots for audiobooks. You're officially an enabler.

message 27: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, #1) by Jim Butcher
Something I love about Jim Butcher's writing is the way he world builds. I am completely immersed in Alera right now. (view spoiler)

message 28: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiab) @ Michelle - I was shocked. What a foundation to set a story upon!

message 29: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I love the strong women characters in this series. Amara and Isana are so great. Actually, I love most of the characters, and the ones I love to hate (like Kord!) are so perfectly written that it is a testament to Jim Butcher's talent that I feel so strongly about everyone in the book.

message 30: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiab) So true! Great characterization, and his world building is thorough but not so wordy that it gets tiresome. I may have said that already, but it's true.

I sometimes (always) tire of reading page after page of building descriptions and long lists of house members and whatnot.

message 31: by Roc (new)

Roc (roc1138) | 4 comments This has been on my to read list for way too long, seen this thread and decided time to read them.

I love the Dresen Files and so far really liking Butcher's writing and world building here.

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Roc, I just got to chapter 25 on my re-read. I'll be cautious in not spoiling you! I'm taking my time and jotting down details about Alera as I go to add to the RPG I am designing. I think it's going to be fun to play someone with fury craft. You start as an academy student and choose an area of study. Anyway...back to the book!
(view spoiler)
I know you aren't too far yet, but do you have a favorite character so far?

message 33: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5189 comments Not sure what chapter I am no, using the audiobook. But it's right after Michell's spoiler in post 27. I like it so far.

message 34: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I heard from someone on a different book site that the audio is excellent. I wish I had done the audio this time around.

message 35: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5189 comments I am enjoying the narrator. It's the same woman that reads the Pink Carnation books by Lauren Willig. I keep waiting for Colin and Eloise to show up.

I got another 45 min or so done today. I'm liking the concept of the furies. But I kind of felt like I was dropped into the middle of the store and not a first book of a series.

message 36: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments If you haven't read up through the Trial of Wits, avoid this spoiler!
(view spoiler)
I should finish up tomorrow and won't start Academ's Fury until after the holiday weekend.

message 37: by Roc (new)

Roc (roc1138) | 4 comments Tavi and Isana are my favorite point of view characters so far.
Made it up to chapter 36 now so spoilers below.
(view spoiler)

message 38: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Oh, completely agree about Kord. (view spoiler)
Finishing the book right now!

message 39: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5189 comments I'm up to chapter 12. (view spoiler) I like it a lot so far. Not really sure what else to say. I haven't really formed any opinions as to what I think might happen.

message 40: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5189 comments I'm around Chapter 20: Trying to figure out how old Bernard is (view spoiler)

message 41: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments You know, I guess I hadn't thought too much about Bernard's age. Does the book say if he's Isana's older brother, or younger? In my mind, he was in his mid 30s, but now I'm curious what everyone else thought. Isana says at one point that she is nearly 40, and I guess I think of Bernard as being a few years younger than she is--no real reason why.

message 42: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5189 comments I forgot about them saying her age. So he could really only be about 10 years or so older than Amara. I don't remember them saying her age but I've had her in her early 20's in my mind.

message 43: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiab) In my head, Amara is early to mid 20s. Not sure why I think that other than she was on her final training mission in the first book. I know Isana is in her 40s but doesn't look it. I think of Bernard as being late 30s, but he could be older. I want him to be my age so I can comfortably crush on him, but for Amara's sake I want him to be in his 30s.

message 44: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5189 comments I'm on Chapter 35.

(view spoiler)

I will probably finish this today but I don't think I'll start the 2nd one Academ's Fury for a few days. I want to get the next Longmire book in this week and the 4th Edge book by Ilona Andrews.

message 45: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments Mary, yes, I completely agree with your spoiler!

The third Longmire book is a good one. I flew through it yesterday. I plan to start Academ's Fury at the end of this week. Just have to find someone to chat with me about The Road first for a different challenge.

message 46: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5189 comments I finished book 1 this afternoon. I read the bulk of it yesterday and have managed not to read any spoilers.

So now I am going to go back and comment on some.

I gave it 4 stars.

message 47: by Mary C (last edited Nov 30, 2014 05:52PM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5189 comments Michelle's spoiler in post 32: (view spoiler)

I am crushing on Bernard.

post 36: The Trial of Wits: (view spoiler)

message 48: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I'm so glad you liked it, Mary!
Furies ending thoughts:
(view spoiler)

message 49: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiab) @ Michelle (view spoiler)

message 50: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments @ Cynthia
Yes, I completely agree! I had actually forgotten about Isana asking that question, but now that you reminded me, for sure.

« previous 1