Start by marking “Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera, #3)” as Want to Read:
Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera, #3)

Cursor's Fury

(Codex Alera #3)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  64,580 ratings  ·  1,572 reviews
Gaius Sextus ha salvado la vida y el Imperio ha conseguido aplastar la amenaza antigua e insospechada de los vord, una raza extraña y parasitaria que amenaza con dominar todo el mundo de Carna. Tavi ha jugado un papel fundamental en la salvación del Primer Señor, junto con Maximus Antillar y Kitai, convertida ahora en embajadora de los marat. Tavi, a pesar de su falta de f ...more
Published December 5th 2006 by Ace Hardcover

To ask other readers questions about Cursor's Fury, please sign up.
Lawrence
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  64,580 ratings  ·  1,572 reviews

Start your review of Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera, #3)
Anne
This series just keeps getting better and better.
THAT TWIST!
I never saw that spoilery thing coming, and I'm betting neither did most of you. But kudos if you did...

description

Ok, it starts out with the stars turning red and something scary getting loose in the clouds...

description

All the characters we love are back, along with all the ones we love to hate.
*rubs hands together with glee*
The story switches mostly between these main groups of characters:
Tavi (and his friends) on a spoilery mission from Gaius as Legiona
Mario the lone bookwolf
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: butcher-jim
Roman legions rock the Pokemon house.

There seems to be no universal acclaim to the greatness of this series as it´s with behemoths like Sanderson, Rothfuß, Brett, Simmons, Williams,… and I guess one of the reasons for this is that there is nothing really new in this one while people got used to reading one genre revolution after the other.

So we have: The hive mind organism evil enemy, check. A frenemy whose culture is used to describe different societal systems, showing a kind of alternative h
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
[4.5 stars] The Codex Alera is shaping up to becoming one of my favorite fantasy series. It’s already responsible for one of my favorite books I’ve ever read (Academ’s Fury) and I’d be hard-pressed to tell you why Cursor’s Fury doesn’t deserve a spot of honor right next to it. It focused more on the legionary aspect of the story, which brought along with it an excellent mix of battle scenes, intrigue, and character development. I loved absolutely everything about it. I’ve been stingy with solid ...more
Gene
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The First Lord of Alera does not get any younger (I am stating obvious, am I not?) He also does not have any male heir - or female for that matter. No wonder that everybody and their brother want his job, yesterday. Several high-ranking people actually have the means to get it.

To neutralize the danger from the most likely contender (High Lord Kalare), The First Lord forces him to act early hoping his lack of preparation would allow for an easy victory. He severely underestimated Kalare's streng
Rob
Executive Summary: To me this is where the series really starts to shine. Mr. Butcher established the world and the key players in the last 2 books, and now he gets down the business of telling the story.

Audio book: I didn't like Ms. Reading too much at the start. Her male voices bothered me. By this book however, I couldn't imagine anyone else reading this. There is a scene where random legionaries are calling out and Ms. Reading does different voices for all of them.

I think she's also flushed
Scott  Hitchcock
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
By far the best of the first three books in the series. I think the biggest change was Tavi stopped whining and in the first two novels the author kept insisting Tavi was smart but his clueless actions said otherwise. The action was also much faster. All of the other characters have been interesting and compelling all along and continue to be so. It's just hard when the focal character isn't.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Rossana
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
THAT ENDING.

Ok, so, I loved this book so much! This was my favorite installment, I loved everything about it: Tavi, the Canim, Tavi, the military setting, Tavi, the new characters, TAVI and basically everything else.
I enjoyed all the flashbacks, I think they are very well done and also necessary to the story. Araris is now a much more relatable character and I got to know Septimus, my new obsession.

But let's talk about the very best: Tavi. Oh God I love you. At the beginning of FoC I liked you a
Kaila
I have yet to actually like any of the books in the Codex Alera. Why do I keep reading them, you ask? Good question. I guess at some point I couldn't tear my eyes away from the train wreck and I love a good groan as well as the next bloke. At this point I'm in gaped mouthed awe at how angry these books make me, and I just have to know if they continue to be so bad. Prepare for maximum bitchiness.

(view spoiler)
Tom
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another 5 for sure on this book in the series! I’m not sure whether I liked it as much as the second book but I do know that I loved it.

I loved that this book takes place years after the last book and that gives the characters to grow up a bit. As in the other books in the series, there are constant twists and turns. The characters are so real and the villians again show to be in a very grey zone. I love how Gaius is supposed to be the “good” guy but the story is always bringing up evidence that
Kathleen
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful. Best so far. Good integration of magic, strategy, and Roman engineering. Tavi's character takes shape and some new relationships develop, along with the old favorites (Max, Kitai, Ehren, Amara, Bernard, etc.). We learn about Fade's role in his birth, and see more of the wolf-like Canum warriors and ritualist sorcerers.

But Butcher goes overboard with "wolfish grins" and inserts a bit too much on the sexy Amara-Bernard ship.

I don't buy into the reformed character. Redemption isn't so ch
YouKneeK
Mar 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cursor’s Fury is the third book in the six-book Codex Alera series. I thought this book was nearly as good as the previous one. The enemy wasn’t as exciting to me, but the characters and the story and all the action still held my interest well.

I really don’t have much to say that I haven’t said already about the previous books, but I do have one other comment that belongs behind spoiler tags:

(view spoiler)
Donna
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is the third book in the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher. This is fantasy in the way that only Jim Butcher can do. This book was a solid 4 stars for me. The ending was 5 stars. I loved the ending.

I like the characters. They are endearing. Even the token romance between Tavi and Katai is kind of sweet, but in a good way. I like that they are still their own character without the constant mooning over each other and plus, she was funny. There was actually way more to this story than romanc
Tilly
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is my least favorite in the "Codex Alera" series so far and, to be fair, it´s probably mostly my own fault. First of all, it´s been a while since I´ve read the second book in the series and due two the huge amount of characters and place names, which many adult fantasy books feature, I already forgot quite a few and it took me a while to dive into this world again. Furthermore I was a bit disappointed that all the Marat, except for Kitai, were not really present in this book because th ...more
Stephen
Feb 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Another outstanding installment of this high quality epic fantasy series. Of Butcher's two series, I think I like this series more (even though the Dresden books are a ton of fun). The quality of the writing continues to improve, the scope of the story continues to expand and the world-building is absolutely superb. So far, each successive installment has been better than the previous one and I hope the trend continues. Highly Recommended!! ...more
S.K. Inkslinger
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another epic and adventurous page-turner in this amazing series! I'm totally looking forward to see Tavi's growth and development, and his embrace of the destiny that lies ahead of him. I have fallen totally in love with this series. ...more
Soo
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mini-Review:

4.5 Stars for Narration by Kate Reading
4.5 Stars for Progression & Characters

The series is not about sunshine & roses but I'm a fan of how love for family, friends & lovers are a central part of the story line. I've enjoyed each book in Codex Alera. Cursor's Fury had the best mix of relevant story parts, character & story progression, tension filled action sequences and little moments of connection.

It is a little cheesy?
A little predictable?
Sure.

It's not about a story having bee
Jessica (JessicaReads)
4.5 stars! My favorite of the series so far. After that ending I NEED to start book 4 now!!!
Nicholas
Aug 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Good, good, good book. Tavi is growing up, and his mysterious past, and why he has no furies is finally revealed.

Things that are really good:
1. Maximus
2. Maximus
3. Grown-up Ehren
4. Kitai
5. Tavi as a legionnaire captain

oh wait, .5. The Freaking Canim.

Finally Tavi's got some worthy adversaries and while treachery is always afoot in the Kingdom of Alera, this time, there's far more open conflict. Butcher continues to write really well and put his characters through legitimately believable emotion
Kostas
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
8.5/10

Reaching at the end of the first half, having earned after two successful books a big recognition both through his writing capabilities and the love of readers who pushed his career even further, Jim Butcher comes to Cursor’s Fury, the third installment of the Codex Alera series, with a greater will and imagination, taking us into a civil war, into a story of Legionaries and Cursors, of political rivals, spies and bestial ritualists, and into an adventure of subjugation and domination, of
⋆  yel  ⋆
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 of 5 stars

-----

I know I've said it a lot of times before but I'll say it again: Tavi is just so damn good and I loved him so much! He proved his skills, cleverness, resourcefulness and courage once more in this book. I can no longer picture the small teenage Tavi herding sheeps and gargants in his steadholt many years ago. All I can see is a young man, who managed to catch up with his delayed growth spurt, able to lead and commandeer an entire legion to manipulate and outwit their enemi
Xara Niouraki
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Solid five starts. An excellent book that expands the universe and makes you keep reading. I love the characters. Butcher is really good at making them interesting and I end up caring about all of them, even the bad ones. Fidelias is one of my favourite and I really enjoy the fact that he is not wholly good or bad but has his own moral compass. The ending of the book was totally awesome and it made me start reading the fourth book immediately.
A highly recommended series. Butcher shows once agai
Shreyas Deshpande
This series gets better with each book. Cursor's Fury is still solidly in the military fantasy camp. I always like good military fantasy book. The battles are well-written, and we can see Tavi grow as character. Also, There are twists and revelations at parts of book that take it beyond pure military fantasy, and some great developments to looking a foreword to reading next book ASAP.

Ratings:- 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Kitty G Books
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book number 3 in the Codex Alera series and I have really enjoyed the previous two so I was hoping to really love this one too and it did not disappoint!

The storyline of this book is focussed mostly on Tavi once again as the main character, but it does still include chapter snippets into the lives of the other major players. Whilst the first book was mostly a set up book and the second was mostly based in Politics, this one was based mostly around warfare and battles.

In this storyline we
Mike (the Paladin)
Getting to know the characters better here. The "aforementioned" underlying plot comes more clearly into focus and the story grows. Well written and very enjoyable.

I gave these short "I liked them reviews" when I finished these books. My attention was brought back to them and I want to take a minute to recommend them and say again that I like them. Being a huge Dresden fan I probably tend to give them a bit of
short shrift.

You can tell by the titles that Tavi's is moving through life. Having gon
Jim
Another good addition to the series, but some of the foreshadowing was heavy handed, so 3.5. A fun, quick read. This didn't appeal to me in some ways as much as the first or second because Butcher is getting a little too predictable, still it had its moments. The series is definitely worth continuing. No real need for a full review - if you liked the first 2 books, you'll like this one. I did & am moving on to the 4th.

Update: This book in the MMP edition, is the only one to have a map, so far &
Nadine
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cursor’s Fury is the third installment in the Codex Alera. Its main focus is war. For most of the novel, readers follow the various characters as a full-fledged war is fought against the Canim.

Tavi is now much older and readers get to see who he is as a man and what he’s capable of despite his limitations. Tavi is intelligent and adaptable. Both qualities serve him well as he fights on the front lines.

Max is easily one of my favorite secondary characters. He’s fun as he brings a lot of comedy to
Amanda
Jan 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Cursor's Fury is the third novel in the Codex Alera sequence by Jim Butcher. We return to events following Tavi, orphaned child - or, rather, young man by this stage - as he takes up a political position within the First Aleran Legion at the request of the First Lord. Gaius intends Tavi to learn the process of legion life, while trying to keep him away from the actual fighting - the First Legion is newly created and going through a drilling process. However, events conspire against the First Lor ...more
Giota
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It has many problems as a book but it is just as engaging and entertaining.

Update: 10.05.2016

Generally speaking this book was very enjoyable in spite of its problems.

Jim Butcher didn’t do a good job intertwining the different characters’ plotlines. I especially didn’t like the way Kitai kept popping in and out of the picture in a very inconsistent way and solely when her presence was crucial to the plot. The way Kitai was dealt with in this book was amateur.

I am not invested at all in Amara or
Rosanna
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series just keeps getting better! I love these characters and story line. The only thing that kept it from a five star was the long drawn out battle scenes, other than that, this was pretty damn amazing.

On to book four...

J. Griff
Oct 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an incredible book in the series! Which an amazing twist in the end. Am really enjoying these characters, they’re all interesting with depth. The political intrigues can be a bit much for me at times as that level of subtlety is a bit beyond me 😆 There was nothing about the story or the plot that didn’t interest me.

• Cytonic (Skyward, #3)
  • Reaper (Cradle, #10)
  • Soulsmith (Cradle, #2)
  • Bloodline (Cradle, #9)
  • Blackflame (Cradle, #3)
  • Underlord (Cradle, #6)
  • Skysworn (Cradle, #4)
  • Ghostwater (Cradle, #5)
  • The Broken Eye (Lightbringer, #3)
  • Unsouled (Cradle, #1)
  • ReDawn (Skyward, #2.2)
  • Sunreach (Skyward, #2.1)
  • Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • The Blood Mirror (Lightbringer, #4)
  • Wintersteel (Cradle, #8)
  • Wrath (The Faithful and the Fallen, #4)
  • Rhythm of War (The Stormlight Archive, #4)
See top shelves…
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

Codex Alera (6 books)
  • Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, #1)
  • Academ's Fury (Codex Alera, #2)
  • Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4)
  • Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5)
  • First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, #6)