Espionage Aficionados discussion

Blood from a Shadow (Con Maknazpy, #1)
This topic is about Blood from a Shadow
Banned > Wall of Shame Sanction - explanation

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Nov 03, 2014 07:50PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 768 comments Mod
Folks, I've just been treated to a little bit of nastiness from a Goodreads author in another Goodreads group. I'm a little fed up at this point, and this is how I have decided to deal with it.

Its been just one too many times that I've experienced 'authors behaving badly' in Goodreads groups. Apparently their habit now is to enlist their various pals and cronies to 'run interference' for them.

In THIS group now, there is a new bookshelf and discussion folder called the 'Wall of Shame' and that is where these authors may be arraigned. This is where --in our group--complaints can be lodged.

If you feel an author is manipulating or browbeating you, please inform me. Your claim will be investigated. If found to have merit, the author in question will receive no further book-promotion here. If they have abused good manners and courtesy, they will not profit by that course.

The author referenced in this post is the first on the wall. And one of his boosters has been removed from our group here.

This is an experiment, maybe it won't even work. But its time to do something.

message 2: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 123 comments To me folks now days are just to thinned skinned, sensitive to critism, hold grudges if their feelings are hurt..
did like your some of those movies, such as the Wild Bunch, and The Sand Pebbles..

message 3: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Nov 03, 2014 07:49PM) (new)

Hey Double, good to see you again

Heck you know me, I am anything but thin-skinned. I can take anything anyone can dish out.

But I have a specific beef with 'being banned' from a Goodreads group. That is "silencing someone's voice" and it has nothing to do with 'hurt feelings'.

Groups are supposed to be democratic. All voices allowed. This is why no group I moderate has reckless bannings.

EXCEPT in the case of abuse. I always made that clear.

And what happened to me in that other group was definitely a form of abuse. Authors have no right to play dirty with regular people.

Hence my new policy wrinkle. If I catch any author pulling that shyt here, they will regret it.

Now: Wild Bunch? Sand Pebbles? Did you see them on my recommendation?

message 4: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 123 comments Nope saw them as they were released back in the 60's, plus read the book Sand Pebbles... some of those movies in your list like these two I watch quite often.

message 5: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Nov 03, 2014 08:12PM) (new)

Good man. I re-watched 'Twelve O'Clock High' last week and was moved to tears as always.

This week, I am wishing I still had my 'Butch Cassidy' DVD. I put all my discs in storage though, and now I am feeling the lack.

I know that flick by heart; but still need to re-hear all that great Goldman dialog.

I posted my list of fave comedies the other day..didja see it? Here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

and here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 6: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 123 comments Yea, "who are those guys"..

Your spot on with your comedies and your listings of all those great actors we grew up with.... pretty near every time I watch a McQueen film at some point I'll get a little misty eyed..

message 7: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Yeah. McQueen. A web-crony of mine used to race mini-bikes with him.

I just wrote a lengthy review of 'Great St Louis Bank Robbery' on another site. Let me know if you want the link.

message 8: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 123 comments Sure send the link..

message 9: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Oct 21, 2015 02:13PM) (new)

Another rogue added to the Wall of Shame. Ron Hummer, who moderates this group:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

Why these would-be authors get 'little tin god' syndrome, is beyond me.

He removed the dialog, but I have it saved and will repost (on my profile, I guess). You wanna see hypocrisy on display, I got the goods.

I'm in his group and without speaking a single cross word--polite as a priest--I get booted. Someone else there sneers at me to 'shut the eff up, Feliks--' and it doesn't even raise his eyebrow.

Anyway, his career and his titles will not be promoted in this environment and we do not endorse him as an author. We wash our hands of him.