The Book Vipers discussion

Film Chat > Favourite actors and actresses

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo Weston (joster) | 1697 comments Mod
I'd be so interested to know who your favourite actors and actresses are, whether you will watch and adore everything they are in, or just for a particular role. Equally, has an actor you had previously written off, later surprised you?

Spill the beans and this is meant to be lighthearted, so if you disagree with someone else's point of view, you are free to say so, but be kind!

Film or TV, just interested to generate a discussion on the topic.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1877 comments Clint Eastwood is probably the only actor I will give any of his movies a go.

I tend to base my movie choices on who has directed it and if it has nudity in it of course.

message 3: by Tytti (last edited Oct 28, 2014 01:52PM) (new)

Tytti | 494 comments I don't really have favourite actors/actresses, I mean I like some more than others but I don't try to watch all their movies. Names like Clark Gable, Paul Newman, maybe Robert Redford, Clint Eastwood come to mind, and I have always liked Kate Winslet and Audrey Hepburn, well there are actually many other classic actresses I don't mind watching in the movies.

I have never cared for (modern) stars or blockbuster movies, they are usually not that good, so it's more that I usually like the type of movies they do, especially if the are "smaller". I think my favourite, lesser known actor comes from Quebec, Roy Dupuis. I recently found "again" the series La Femme Nikita and he was just so perfect in the role, it was so different. I didn't realize it when I used to watch it when I was younger. I also liked how much he reminded both Maurice Richard and Roméo Dallaire when he played them. (I think Dallaire had said that he would like that someone like Dupuis would play him, not thinking that a big star like him actually would.) I usually like actors/actresses with some theatre background, and for example in Being at Home with Claude he has a very long monologue, IIRC. There are not many actors I could watch long enough.

message 4: by Jo (new)

My biggest turn off is Tom Cruise. I find Cate Blanchett strangely cold, though I cannot deny her acting skills. I adore Michael Caine, David Morrissey and my old mucker Olivia Colman.

Plenty of others. Oh Jim Nesbitt. Just the look of him gives me goosebumps.

message 5: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 494 comments Jo wrote: "My biggest turn off is Tom Cruise. I find Cate Blanchett strangely cold, though I cannot deny her acting skills."

Same here. I think it would be easier to say whose movies I'd rather not watch, *cough*Gwyneth Paltrow*cough*.

message 6: by Feliks (last edited Nov 12, 2014 08:25AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Top faves:
William Holden, Sterling Hayden, Frederick March, Gregory Peck, Jimmy Stewart, Kirk Douglas, Burt Lancaster, Alec Guinness, Marx Bros, Glenn Ford, Vic Morrow, Richard Attenborough, Gary Cooper, Spencer Tracy, Henry Fonda, Humphrey Bogart, Jimmy Cagney, James Garner, James Mason, Jean Gabin, Clark Gable, Gene Kelly, Ray Milland, Marlon Brando, Karl Malden, Orson Welles, Joseph Cotton, John Wayne, Ronald Colman, Charles Laughton, WC Fields, David Niven, Errol Flynn, Alan Ladd, Claude Rains, Richard Burton, Cary Grant, Walter Matthau, Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, Michael Caine, Donald Sutherland, Oliver Reed, Peter O'Toole, Trevor Howard, Terence Stamp, Ralph Richardson, Richard Harris, Tom Courtenay, Anthony Quinn, Anthony Perkins, Anthony Quayle, Anthony Bates, Anthony Hopkins, Alain Delon, Fred Astaire, Frank Sinatra, Stanley Baker, Dean Martin, Darren McGavin, Robert Donat, Robert Mitchum, Rod Steiger, Rod Taylor, Robert Ryan, Robert Preston, Richard Widmark, Warren Oates, Peter Lorre, Edward G. Robinson, Charlton Heston, Edward O'Brian, Lawrence Olivier, John Gielgud, Herbert Marshall, Tyrone Power, Adolphe Menjou, James Whitmore, Ian Bannen, Ernest Borgnine, Robert Wagner, William Powell, Montgomery Clift...

I'd watch these guys in anything.

But I grew up predominantly with:
Charles Bronson, Steve McQueen, Sean Connery, Yul Brynner, James Coburn, Clint Eastwood, Jack Nicholson, Robert DeNiro, Dustin Hoffman, Jon Voight, Paul Newman, Al Pacino, Gene Hackman, Roy Scheider, Richard Dreyfus, Robert Redford, Martin Sheen, James Caan, Ben Gazzarra, George C. Scott, Lee Marvin, Lee Van Cleef, Woody Allen, Peter Sellers, David Carradine, Peter Fonda, Jack Palance, Sidney Poitier, George Segal, Joe Don Baker, Robert Shaw, Bruce Dern, Cliff Robertson, Elliott Gould, Hal Holbrook, Peter Falk, Alan Arkin, Sam Waterston, Michael Moriarty, Keith Carradine, Harvey Keitel, Ryan O'Neal, Gary Busey, Yaphet Kotto, Harry Dean Stanton, Dennis Hopper, Peter Strauss, Nick Nolte, Monty Python, Mel Brooks...

So that's probably where my true heart is. In fact, I can't name a single current celeb (more recent than any of this last-named bunch), who's career interests me.

p.s. ...and I also feel that Christopher Reeve is the *only* Superman, and really that first flick is the only worthwhile super-hero movie

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5462 comments Mod
Never sure of all of the names, but some of the actors that I admire are:
Robert DeNiro, Jean Reno, Christian Bale, Matt Damon, Gene Hackman, Sean Connery, Michael Caine, Sean Bean

Actresses:
Natalie Portman, Angelina Jolie, Jodie Foster. There are others that have more, how shall I put this, screen appeal, but I cannot recall their names at the moment

Cannot watch anything with Tom Hanks in.

message 8: by Jo (new)

With you on all those men, Paul, though don't really know Christian Bale (thought he was a footballer!). Love Natalie Portman too. Angelina a bit too cartoon like for me, I don't find her real.

I also love Philip Glennister. My husbands favourite is Keeley Hawes.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan (suze0501) | 190 comments Kevin Spacey, Kevin Spacey, Kevin Spacey ... Jim Broadbent. Gillian Anderson. Sarah Lancashire. Marlon Brando. Orson Welles. Oh ... did I mention Kevin Spacey :))

message 10: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 274 comments You don't know Christian Bale?? Oh My! I've been a huge fan since he was a young teenager. When he was aged 18 he had an auction on his site and I am the proud owner of a jacket from the film Newsies, a hat from the set of Swing Kids and his photo ID from the Telluride film festival, aged 17.

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 5462 comments Mod
Jo, he is Batman in The Dark Knight http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/

message 12: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 458 comments Christian Bales is also in a new movie Exodus. I like his acting, but maybe not his Batman. I'm not a fan of Tom Cruise.

message 13: by Jazzy (last edited Oct 28, 2014 04:22PM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 274 comments I adored Christian Bale's 'Jim' in Empire of the Sun, his second Spielberg film. I knew he'd be a star. Spielberg has the magic touch with child actors though.

Here is is with Stephen Spielberg and John Malkovich on the set, about age 13.

message 14: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 458 comments Christopher Reeve is my only Superman too.

message 15: by Feliks (last edited Oct 28, 2014 05:35PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) I actually wouldn't know Christian Bale even if he bumped into me on the street. But that's true of a lot of celebs with regard to how familiar I am with them. What I remember is some story about his beating up his mother and sister on some Oscar night? And his frequent on-set tantrums and hissy-fits? If I have this gossip in error, I apologize. But that's what I recall about him. I don't want to besmirch anyone's idol so please correct me if I'm mistaken..

p.s. hoot! @ the Tom Hanks comment. Haw!

message 16: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 458 comments * Bale

message 17: by Jason (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1877 comments Susan wrote: "Kevin Spacey, Kevin Spacey, Kevin Spacey ... Jim Broadbent. Gillian Anderson. Sarah Lancashire. Marlon Brando. Orson Welles. Oh ... did I mention Kevin Spacey :))"

Ah there are not many people out there who can handle all three Kevin Spaceys. hehe

message 18: by Jazzy (last edited Oct 29, 2014 04:37AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 274 comments i wouldn't say he has frequent tantrums and hissy fits, but like most people under a lot of stress, he's lost his temper and become quite upset. I'd hate for my life to be under public scrutiny, especially during those coming of age years, that's tragic for anyone. i don't think there's any one of us who could pass for perfect.

As a bonus, here's 18-year-old Christian Bale and 24-year-old Robert Sean Leonard dancing in one of my favourite films, Swing Kids (1993).

the link if it won't load.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zyjt0bWiz5U...

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mrswhams) | 730 comments Mod
I am completely the same about Tom Hanks, Paul. A totally irrational dislike. I find him smug and irritating on screen.

I don't really have Hollywood favourites although I agree with most of those mentioned. I find Kevin Spacey mesmerising. I adore David Tennant and will watch him in anything (for additional reasons aside from his excellent acting, ahem).

message 20: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 553 comments Yes to Christopher Reeve as Superman!

Other faves are Gillian Anderson, Gabriel Byrne, Bill Nighy, Kevin Spacey, Julianne Moore, Vanessa Redgrave, Tilda Swinton, Christopher Eccleston.

I find David Tennant quite irritating but I know I'm in the minority on this!

message 21: by Jason (last edited Oct 29, 2014 11:48PM) (new)

Jason (jasondenness) | 1877 comments I have finally thought of an actor I love and will watch anything by him. Ron Perlman. Brilliant in Hellboy and in Frankie go boom.

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan (suze0501) | 190 comments Cathy wrote: "Yes to Christopher Reeve as Superman!

Other faves are Gillian Anderson, Gabriel Byrne, Bill Nighy, Kevin Spacey, Julianne Moore, Vanessa Redgrave, Tilda Swinton, Christopher Eccleston.

I find Dav..."

A minority of two then, Cathy!!

message 23: by Susan (new)

Susan (suze0501) | 190 comments Cathy wrote: "Yes to Christopher Reeve as Superman!

I find Dav..."

PS ... sounds like you and me should get together - with the exception of Tilda - who I find a bit weird - you've identified a few more of my faves!

message 24: by Feliks (last edited Oct 30, 2014 10:57AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) An acquaintance of mine, her sister attended college with Reeve. She knew I was interested in his background so she passed on some info to me. The sister said just about every female on campus was dizzy over him; had her eye on him; but he kept fairly aloof and didn't take advantage of all the attention. Not that he was shy but he just seemed to be..holding himself back in some way. As if he couldn't put any stock in all the flattery. Self-effacing type of guy. He was very focused on simply graduating, keeping a high gpa, getting ahead and 'making good'. Much like young Clark in the later movie.

message 25: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 553 comments Susan wrote: "Cathy wrote: "Yes to Christopher Reeve as Superman!

Other faves are Gillian Anderson, Gabriel Byrne, Bill Nighy, Kevin Spacey, Julianne Moore, Vanessa Redgrave, Tilda Swinton, Christopher Ecclesto..."

Glad it's not just me! Not that I'm denying David Tennant's acting ability, just something about him annoys me. Maybe I just have't seen him in the right role. And you're right about Tilda, she is a bit weird, but I quite like weird.

message 26: by Grey (new)

Grey Wolf | 35 comments On one level of course there are so many!

Classic actors and actresses, I loved Audrey Hepburn, Lauren Bacall, Humphrey Bogart, James Mason

These days if there is a film with Harrison Ford, Tom Cruise, Matt Damon, Liev Schreiber, Hugh Grant, Jeremy Renner I will look into it to see if it sounds like my type of film because if it is, I know it will be good.

Actresses, I love Drew Barrymore, her and Hugh Grant in Music and Lyrics is one of my all-time favourites.

One can't really have favourite child actors/actresses as they grow up so quickly but I had noted Nell Tiger Free in Endeavour before she was cast in Game of Thrones, and both Maisie Williams and Kerry Ingram in Game of Thrones are very talented indeed.

message 27: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 359 comments So sorry to see that Warren Clarke has died. One of my favourite TV actors over the years.

message 28: by Feliks (last edited Nov 12, 2014 07:49AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Didn't know the man. Was he in daytime tv? It's always a bummer though. I still can't get over Cliff Robertson passing; and the scant news splash it made at the time. Meanwhile some h-bag like Amy Winehouse was front page news.

message 29: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) | 359 comments I mainly watched him in dramas like Dalziel and Pascoe, and Moving Story. But he was also in films like A Clockwork Orange.

message 30: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariagibbs) | 6 comments Oh no just seen this here. Loved the characters he played always the grumpy old sods.

message 31: by Joyce (last edited Nov 12, 2014 09:19AM) (new)

Joyce (sarjon8087) Faves from the golden age of films:

James Cagney, Tyrone Power, Clark Gable, Jimmy Stewart, Spencer Tracy, Humphrey Bogart, Olivia de Havilland, Bette Davis, Katharine Hepburn, Carole Lombard & Greta Garbo (among others).
I don't need to mention my favorite movies they were in because they excelled in everything they did.

Faves NOT from the golden age:

Christian Bale (Empire of the Sun); Kevin Spacey (The Usual Suspects, American Beauty), Tom Hanks (Forrest Gump, Big, Philadelphia), Tom Cruise (Born On the Fourth of July), Kate Winslet (Titanic, Revolutionary Road, Heavenly Creatures), Cate Blanchett (Fellowship of the Ring, Elizabeth, Veronica Guerin), Meryl Streep (Sophie's Choice, Kramer vs Kramer, Silkwood, The Hours) and Natalie Portman (The Professional, Black Swan).