What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Detective/Spy book with a magnifying glass? [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstynumbers) | 3 comments I'm trying to find a book me and my sister had when we were kids. It's a children's book about a spy or detective (kind of an Inspector Gadget look to him) and I think he's looking for a birthday cake or birthday present.

The pictures in the book had hidden images that you had to use the attached magnifying glass to view (The magnifying glass was cardboard with a red plastic film for the "glass").

Not sure when we had it exactly but it would probably be late 80's/early 90's.

Does anyone remember this book? Do you know what it was called? I've been Googling and I can't find anything that looks even close.

message 2: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 186 comments When you had the book was it old or relatively new?

message 3: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstynumbers) | 3 comments I'm fairly sure it was new when we got it. I was born in 84 and my sister in 87 so it's more likely to be early 90s than late 80s.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33475 comments Mod
I haven't found a book that matches your description but, just in case you're interested, Art Fraud Detective: Spot the Difference, Solve the Crime! comes with a magnifying glass.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Longworth | 2 comments I remember this book too!!! It was so lovely and the red cellophane magnifying glass came attached to the book on a little bit of string and you used it to find a hidden clue (shown in 'red reveal') on each page. The magnifying glass then had it's own little pocket on the front cover. I'm so terribly sorry though as I can't remember the title either and I've just tried to find it on the internet as well and can't. What a shame that nothing like this seems to be in print today.

message 6: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirstynumbers) | 3 comments That's the one! I think I might need to raid my parents attic and see if it's still up there somewhere. :)

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Kristy--if you do so, and find it--come back and tell the rest of us what it is. I think I'd like a copy for the day when I have another generation of kids in my family. . . .

message 8: by Mark (new)

Mark | 2 comments Hi guys,

I had this too - I think you're thinking of 'Inspector Smart Gets The Message' by Richard Fowler. I still have my copy!
http://www.biblio.com/book/inspector-...

Hope this helps, even several months later...!

All best,
M

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Longworth | 2 comments That's it, that's it!!!! Fantastic!! Thanks so much Mark for posting the link and details - have just ordered a copy (entirely for my little son obviously!!! ...wink wink!!!). Thanks so much again and best wishes :)

message 10: by Mark (new)

Mark | 2 comments Ahaaa, brilliant! Glad to help. :)

message 11: by Kris (last edited Feb 26, 2015 08:56AM) (new)

Kris | 33475 comments Mod
Nice find, Mark! I was curious about this one. I would have loved it as a kid. :)

Note: Shelved as Inspector Smart Gets the Message! by Richard Fowler.