Weird Westerns discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Reads > Dec 2014 Group Read Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashe (new)

Ashe Armstrong (ashearmstrong) | 604 comments Mod
Figured an actual thread couldn't hurt to discuss the topic. I think, and several of you have agreed, that starting off with short stories is a good idea. I got to thinkin, what if we also use this a bit as a "history of." That is, find some early shorts and do them in pairs.

Then, later on, maybe we could try doing group reads for everyone's books. Start with SA's stuff since he started the group and then go from there.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

message 2: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 309 comments I agree, short is probably the best way to go at first. Don't want to burden people with not being able to dedicate time into reading, at least right away. Here are a few shorts I suggest:

Whiskey & Wheelguns: Foreshadows: A Collection of Tall Tales from the Weird West

Helldorado: "East Eats West"

Pretty Deadly #1

message 3: by Ashe (new)

I suppose the first arc of Pretty Deadly would work well. The trade is either comin out soon or is out, I'm not sure but it's five issues. DeConnick said recently that they were going to do a little story each if I remember right. So it'll come in chunks of 5 to 10 I imagine.

I'd like to suggest we flat start with Robert E. Howard's "The Horror from the Mound." It's up on Project Gutenberg so it's easy for everyone to get. It's also included in The Horror Stories of Robert E. Howard if anyone's lookin to get a new Howard collection.

I'd also like to suggest "The Walking Woman" by Mary Austin. It's real short and not an "official" weird western but I could not HELP but feel the presence of the Weird all over it. It's also up on Gutenberg.

message 4: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 231 comments Hey guys, just for your info, my book Brackett Hollister: The Werewolf Pack is on sale for .99 this week. I'd love for you do it as a group read eventually, if you wanted to go ahead and pick it up now. (Not trying to rush anyone on when we read it though.)

http://www.amazon.com/Brackett-Hollis...

I know some of you had it on your lists, so wanted to give you all a heads up.

message 5: by Ashe (new)

That reminds me, Quentin, any thoughts on addin a paperback version?

message 6: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 231 comments Yep, it will be up either later tonight or tomorrow.

message 7: by Ashe (new)

Awesome. I don't mind digital copies for shorts but reading anything over 20 pages for me requires a physical copy. I'm just dyslexic and ADD enough that I'll get lost in another thought and have to reset or misread an entire paragraph. Much easier to do that on a physical copy.

message 8: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 231 comments Paperback is up now Ashe!

message 9: by Ashe (new)

Groovy. Still can't get it now. Can't afford it and I'm trying desperately not to add to my library since I've already gotta rebox part of it for the move in December. Fuck moving.

message 10: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 231 comments Ah, I got ya, good idea, if I moved my books alone would fill a truck o.o

message 11: by Ashe (new)

Yeah, moving out of state is rough.

Anyone have any other suggestions for shorts to vote on to read?

message 12: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 309 comments I gave my suggestions already lol.

message 13: by Ashe (new)

Then give everyone some backrubs while they figure their suggestions out. I command it.

message 14: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 231 comments I really don't have suggestions but I'm up for what you guys decide on, or if we do votes I'll vote.

message 15: by Gwyn (new)

Gwyn  | 35 comments I'm up for anything as far as shorts go. For SA's stuff are you talking about full books? I've got The Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree qued up to read pretty soon here, but I'll wait if we were thinking about doing a group read on it (or I'll go ahead and read it if you were thinking of another :) )

message 16: by Ashe (new)

Are there any shorts that have caught your eye?

And yeah, at some point, we'll go through SA's series and probably anyone else whose got a book. Wh is currently Quentin, John, and Justin for sure, mine'll be out in June I hope, and then if Ed gets mmore active, his series. And then Paul I think? So we've got a lot of "local" stuff to read eventually.

message 17: by Gwyn (new)

Gwyn  | 35 comments I'd be down with

message 18: by Gwyn (new)

Gwyn  | 35 comments I'd be down with goodreads not posting my comments before I'm done :-/ I was going to say I would be down with reading some of REH's stories. I actually haven't read any of his work to my knowledge.

message 19: by Ashe (new)

Sounds good. See if anyone else gets some suggestions and see what SA has to say and then we can do a vote. Maybe shoot for a couple of stories in December.

message 20: by John (new)

John | 135 comments If you guys are serious about reading "Ghost Marshal," let me know or post something here. I'll drop the ebook down to $.99 for a day or so. I'll be doing a free run eventually, but not until the sequel is closer to being finished.

message 21: by Quentin (new)

Quentin Wallace (quentinwallace) | 231 comments I'd like to read it John, just let me know.

message 22: by John (new)

John | 135 comments Okay, Quentin. I spun the dials at KDP down to $.99 for a limited time for you fine folk here on the Weird Westerns board. I'll let you know when Amazon goes live with it.

message 23: by John (new)

John | 135 comments Okay, buckaroos. Ghost Marshal is now for sale at $.99 on the Kindle Store:

http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Marshal-T...

I'm not publicizing the sale, just leaving it up long enough for you Weird West lovers here on Goodreads to get your copies, probably through the weekend. Enjoy!

message 24: by Ashe (new)

Cheers, John. I'll still be getting the paperback some time in the next few months.

message 25: by Rick (new)

Rick Jantz | 3 comments Hi, John. Saw this thread and grabbed a copy. Thanks. Looking forward to reading it (love the concept).

message 26: by Ashe (new)

Feel free to join the festivities, Rick!

message 27: by John (new)

John | 135 comments Thanks, Rick! Hope you enjoy the story.

message 28: by Ashe (new)

I'm gonna forgo the Whiskey & Wheelguns collection right now and go ahead and post the four other suggestions in a poll.

message 29: by Rick (new)

Rick Jantz | 3 comments Great story, John. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Will get a review up for you, this is a great book and I look forward to the next one.

message 30: by John (new)

John | 135 comments Wow, Rick, thanks! I'm so glad you liked it. Rest assured, I'm hard at work on the next book. We'll see more of the Big Bad, plus Custer's ghost and a giant, demon bear at Devil's Tower. Plenty to keep Wild Bill and Jessie busy!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.