Start by marking “Pretty Deadly #1” as Want to Read:
Pretty Deadly #1

Pretty Deadly #1

(Pretty Deadly #1)

PRETTY DEADLY #1 2ND PTG (MR) IMAGE COMICS (W) Kelly Sue DeConnick (A) Emma Rios, Jordie Bellaire (CA) Emma Rios KELLY SUE DECONNICK (Avengers Assemble, Captain Marvel) & EMMA RÍOS (Dr. Strange, Osborn) reunite to bring you an all-new ongoing series that marries the magical realism of Sandman with the western brutality of Preacher. Death's daughter rides the wind on a hors ...more
Paperback, Second Printing, 32 pages
Published October 23rd 2013 by Image Comics (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Deadly #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pretty Deadly #1

Start your review of Pretty Deadly #1
Mir
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic, fantasy
This lists as volume 1, but it doesn't feel like it. I'm fine with stories starting in medias res, but at some point the author has to sort things so I know what happened. DeConnick sort of does that here, in that I eventually figured out what was going on, but it still felt like a fragment of a larger story that I had missed the start of. How did Fox meet Sissy and why is Sissy's drawing important? What's the story with Johnny Coyote and Molly Raven? Why is this narrated by a skeleton of a bunn ...more
J.L.   Sutton
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Even when I was confused about what was happening in the story, the art (and colors which matched/charged the emotion and atmosphere) kept me going and drew me into Kelly Sue DeConnick and Emma Rios’s mystical world of the Old West (even if Abby wouldn’t give me any spoilers). I liked the dead bunny and butterfly storytellers which we return to as touchstones throughout the five sections. That gave it a nice fable-like quality I appreciated. I’m still not positive how I feel about the story goin ...more
Terence
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies
description
I have no idea what I just read. There was a Western type story, nudity, and brutality. It felt like I was reading the fifth issue in a series rather than the first.
Cathy
No idea. A weird Western. After 20 pages still absolutely no idea what is going on. Revenge? Absolutely no interest to continue. DNF.
Mely
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like Jeremy Love's Bayou
Shelves: read-seq-art
An amazing, dreamlike, nightmarish, atmospheric fantasy/horror Western. This first issue doesn't so much build as gather up different strands of story in a single hand: you can tell they'll weave together, but not yet how. Images linger: a dead rabbit, a butterfly, a blood-streaked girl holding a gun; gorgeous pink and yellow skies; Death's daughter, with scars or stitches creasing her mouth. In a theatre made up of an open-air stage in the town square (probably they use it for hangings), tramps ...more
Sam Quixote
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Old West and magic – Kelly Sue DeConnick rustles up a Dark Tower-flavoured tale of humans, animals, and elementals in a sweeping, lyrical tale of desperate men, vulture girls, and a blind gunslinger called Fox. The first issue is very atmospheric and Emma Rios’ art is unbelievable, made all the more impressive by Jordie Bellaire’s colours. One hell of an intriguing comic to kick things off. Read the full review here! ...more
Jessica
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Pretty Deadly: Vol 1 is my first adventure into the "Weird Western" genre. I'll be honest, I'd never heard of this before I stumbled upon this book. It's apparently the combination of Western elements with another genre. In this case, that genre would probably be described as Fantasy. Something new for this bookworm, and I was definitely looking forward to seeing how it panned out.

The story is told in a fable format, through two narrators who are not quite what you'd expect. A lone butterfly, a
First Second Books
I liked this! Super atmospheric and GORGEOUSLY illustrated and colored.
Christine
This was pretty fun. The framing device is pretty neat, and there is a nice feel to the setting and story telling.
Stacy Fetters
May 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
"For a moment I feared her like the bud about to blossom fears the sun"
Received at BEA Chicago!!!
A dead bunny and a butterfly tell the sordid tale of Ginny. She was in the hunt, but for what?
The end of the world began when death fell in love.
Confused on where this was going to take you. A female death bringer whos going to hell for theft. Think thats the least of her problems.
Still undecided on if I want to read any more of this, but then again it could leave to big answers that I'm not ready
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I found the first issue a bit confusing. It was like starting to read in the middle of a book and you got no clue to who all these characters are and what they are doing. But it all gets a lot better when you get to the next issue and the next, it's like a puzzle, first you have some pieces that fits together and slowly you are getting to see the image as more bits are fitting in.
Irena
Apr 02, 2014 rated it liked it
First thing I did after completing the first issue of Pretty Deadly is read reviews of others to see what they thought.

I often feel like I need to compare my own impression to others' just in order to place myself somewhere in the taste-section of comics and mangas. So where did that get me? I realize I'm not a fan of western, gunslinger stories. It's a matter of taste (de gustibus non est disputandum), not a matter of objective judgment.

So, I'm giving this a 3* not because I think it low quali
Rachel Drrmrmrr
Nov 05, 2014 rated it liked it
I feel like a lot of comics just rush right into introducing as many characters as possible as quickly as possible and that can get a little frustrating. Still, this story is cool if you're into spooky ladies seeking revenge and dead things telling stories. A spooky fantastical western where deaths time is almost up and he has a human daughter who likes to kill. I blew through the first five books and really want to continue it.
Kara
Nov 01, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novel

I get it that the book is Edgy and Clever. Very Now. Very Happening. All the bells and whistles and envelope pushing and Inclusive and Progressive.

It just doesn’t have a story to hang all that on.

All sizzle and no steak.
Dec 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Laura by: Kelly Sue DeConnick
Gorgeous and confusing. Or maybe I'm just feverish. I saw Kelly Sue DeConnick a few years back and she said that she had this kicking around in the back of her head for a while but kept putting it of because she didn't think illustrators liked to draw horses.
Romney Wordsworth
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
I stumbled on this book at the library knowing nothing of it's story or art work. Both are superb. Mystical, supernatural horrific and beautiful... tell us more bunny and butterfly... tell me more. I can't wait to continue with this series.. instantly smitten!!!
Julia O'Connell
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Only read the first issue...

Looks intriguing. The first issue alludes to the origin story of death's daughter, told by two mysterious travelling companions--a girl who wears a vulture cloak and an older man who appears blind but isn't. The story features a classic Western setting.
Leslie
Mar 27, 2015 rated it liked it
I get why people love this series, but it just wasn't my thing. I've never been into the Western genre even with a supernatural twist.
Kathleen
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Magic West, Death as a parent - good stuff.
Tiffany-Reads
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-read-books
I loved the art and the story set up. This one was a huge surprise. I wasn't really sure I would like it and I just thought it was beautiful and a wonderful beginning to volume.
Kylie
The artwork is gorgeous, and I found the mix of horror/fantasy and Old West setting engaging and different (probably because I don't usually read or watch Westerns all that often).
Leif
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's weird and it's beautiful in long passages: I liked this one very much. DeConnick crafts a mythological structure of death's cyclical replacement and narrates the complex relationships among mortals, gods, and ascendants who are each attempting to help or hinder this cyclical process. Along the way she uses a folksy narrative frame suitably warped for her purposes: a skeletal rabbit and a gentle butterfly, each of which corresponds to a major character within the tale. With dusky greys and p ...more
Lee-Anne Linton
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
It's difficult to know where to start with this review because there is so much to unpack in what is really such a small amount of pages.

The art and colourwork are beautiful and fits the genre of the comic well. You can feel the heat at your back and taste the grit in your teeth, and for that alone I think I love it a little. While it's very much a Western there's a marvellous twist in the tale that elevates it to something almost mythic.

What confusion you might feel in the beginning is probab
Earl Shaffer
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Ive read a few Graphic Novels recently that are too convoluted, and I mean that both story and art. This one had both good story and art but it was like someone had taken the plot points and written them down on slips of paper. Then thrown those up into the air and picked them up in a new order and said: "Let's do it like this." They let the art tell some parts of the story but there's weird breaks in the art and everyone's art is half black feathers so it's rough. By the end the story was figur ...more
Rose
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The drawing are beautiful, and the colours amazing. The story had the familiar air of a fairy tale or fable, but was fairly unique in its contents. The characters were strange and fascinating. The pace was fast. It seemed as though there was enough story in this one volume to be stretched across several volumes if the creators had been so inclined. I'm interested to see where the rest of the tale goes.
Daria Gray
May 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lackluster
(2.5 stars)
This was a good start to a series. I love the art and the general aesthetic of the story. It suits the story very well. This did feel like an introductory issue because we gotten the story that felt empty and it seemed like there wasn't point to it. Plus we didn't really get any information about the characters and their motives for whatever they wanted to do. I hope the next issue give us some context for both story and the characters.
Gina
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
At least the first one didn't make me cry.

There was a beauty to the first book, but it was more in the relationships and the caring. Here there is a grander scheme, and if there are things that hurt about it, there are things that are deeply beautiful about it too.
Aaron McBride
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it
An absolutely stunning and interesting first half with a ridiculously confusing and annoying second half. The first half is worth checking out however.
DOUGLAS J BERRY
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An occult western.

Good color artwork,image freebie. Reminds me of the gunslinger by Steven king. There's a lot violence brewing in these wasteland.
Catherine
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I have to agree with some of the previous assessments - this felt like at least Book 2 of a series rather than Book 1. But, that said, intriguing characters, scary women, interesting storyline (if a tad murky for me to follow). I'll definitely be picking up the next book and will reread this one when I do. Interesting stuff!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Rose (Bone, #0)
  • Asterios Polyp
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home (Season 8, Volume 1)
  • Black Science, Vol. 1: How to Fall Forever
  • Descender, Vol. 1: Tin Stars
  • Thor, Volume 1: The Goddess of Thunder
  • Preacher, Volume 1: Gone to Texas
  • Ardalén
  • Blacksad (Blacksad, #1-3)
  • kings of nowhere Volume 1 (Kings of Nowhere, #1)
  • L'Enfer, le silence (Blacksad, #4)
  • Anya's Ghost
  • Pride of Baghdad
  • Giant Days, Vol. 1 (Giant Days, #1)

Pretty Deadly (10 books)