Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
This topic is about Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Previous BOMs - Authors; A - D > Clarke, Susanna - Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Informal Buddy Read; Start: January 8,2015--REVISIT-- 22 June 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 155 (155 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Nov 03, 2014 08:33AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31610 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Book Synopsis:
At the dawn of the nineteenth century, two very different magicians emerge to change England’s history. In the year 1806, with the Napoleonic Wars raging on land and sea, most people believe magic to be long dead in England—until the reclusive Mr Norrell reveals his powers, and becomes a celebrity overnight.

Soon, another practicing magician comes forth: the young, handsome, and daring Jonathan Strange. He becomes Norrell’s student, and they join forces in the war against France. But Strange is increasingly drawn to the wildest, most perilous forms of magic, straining his partnership with Norrell, and putting at risk everything else he holds dear.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 4: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy (nancyhelen) | 1469 comments Oh, I'll do this. I just picked up a copy for 75p at a charity shop, so I am set to read it!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I would like to take part in this Buddy Read too :)

message 6: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments Well ok then. Welcome everybody.

message 7: by Ari (new)

Ari | 124 comments Oh,hey! I'm in, if that's ok.

I really like the beginning of this book, but I've never managed to get very far. It's so long.

message 8: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14770 comments Mod
One of my only 5 star reads and it has been many years. I really want to re-read, and boy, I hope it remains as good for me!

message 9: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle (govmarley) | 3115 comments I'm in. I'll add it to my calendar so I don't forget.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Excited to read this one.

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments You know, I don't think I'd read this on my own, but I think I just might read it with a group.

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments I am in :)

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 451 comments I'm in!

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments This sound really neat. I'm in.

kat (wanderfulbooks) (wanderfulbooks) | 2199 comments Just added it on my to-read-buddy-read list!

message 16: by Alanna (new) - added it

Alanna | 7 comments Got to page 800-ish about a year ago and then just kinda stopped. I was enjoying it and I'd like to finish, so I'm in!

message 17: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

wow Alanna. You were so close!

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments I had no idea this book was so long! I read the short stories The Ladies of Grace Adieu, which was much shorter than this!

Kelsi | 1181 comments I would like to join :)

Colleen (colls) | 114 comments I'd like to join! This has been sitting unread on my shelf for too long.

message 21: by Agnès (last edited Dec 15, 2014 01:22PM) (new)

Agnès (margali87) I'd really like to join too :)

message 22: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

The more the merrier :)

Vicki | 194 comments I've had this book for ever. This will be a great time to read it.

message 24: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Not long now!
I got the audio to do as a re-read.
I'm not sure it would be a good idea for a first time reader due to all the footnotes in the book, but I'm hoping that as I've read it before it won't be too confusing.

message 25: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

There are some very different page lengths for Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

According to AR BookFinder it has a word count of 308,931 words (dividing by 250 it goes around 1236 pages) meaning we'll accept any edition over 901 pages.

message 26: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments What does that exactly mean? Does it mean we just can't accept my edition for the Air vs Earth read a thon mini challenge (846 pages) but I 'm still good to go for the buddy read?

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I've started early so far I'm really enjoying it.

message 28: by Kristie (new) - added it

Kristie | 3345 comments Karen wrote: "Not long now!
I got the audio to do as a re-read.
I'm not sure it would be a good idea for a first time reader due to all the footnotes in the book, but I'm hoping that as I've read it before it ..."

Let me know what you think of the audio. I'm thinking about using it for the audio challenge, but I haven't read it before. (I probably won't check this thread for the update though because I don't want to risk spoilers! Let me know in the audio thread, if you don't mind.)

message 29: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments Want to finish up two more reads first - then it's a go.

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments I'll also start this sometime after the 10th! Need to finish a couple more.

message 31: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments Srividya - you starting Mudbound?

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Yes Sarah. I started it last night. Want to finish it soon and then get to this one.

message 33: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura wrote: "What does that exactly mean? Does it mean we just can't accept my edition for the Air vs Earth read a thon mini challenge (846 pages) but I 'm still good to go for the buddy read?"

If that is the edition you want to use, that is fine. It just means that you can use the 'page override' tab in the team spreadsheets to count it as a >901 page book if you chose to instead

Cynthia (cynthiab) I'll be ready to discuss a little tomorrow if anyone wants to start early.

Vicki | 194 comments I'll be about 100 pages in, so let's discuss tomorrow.

Cynthia (cynthiab) I'd like to get through the first 10 chapters and comment. I've set my goal at 10 chapters/day, so I have time to finish some other books and also so I remember to come back and discuss the book. I'm terrible to just keep reading on and on.

message 37: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments I have already read the first 250 pages and need to get back to the book so hopefully discussion will help jog my memory. I have to say I remember I found much of the dialogue slap stick - hope I have that right? But humurous and I enjoyed that.

Cynthia (cynthiab) I'm only a little into the 2nd chapter, and I find it more Victorian than slapstick. But that is certainly a fine line. I often roll my eyes when I'm reading steampunk.

message 39: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments See, I don't know the difference? Or why they all mean exactly?

Cynthia (cynthiab) Victorian is a style of writing that is usually easily recognizable. Think Sherlock Holmes. That's a set of books set in the early Victorian period. Doesn't Watson sometimes seem a little slapstickish? It's just the period. The manners, the formality of speech. People were very rigid, and the class system was important.

This novel isn't set in the Victorian period (Queen Victoria didn't take the throne until the late 1830s), but it is that style. I thought of it due to the speech patterns as well as the social mannerisms and class system.

Steampunk is just alternate reality SF/F set in the Victorian era. Its the 19th century but they have advanced science, more advanced than we have now and sometimes magic, too. It's a weird juxtaposition that's a lot of fun to read if you like that kind of thing.

Vicki | 194 comments I keep thinking this reminds me of The Pickwick Papers by Dickens which is somewhat slapstick too.

Cynthia (cynthiab) I fell asleep reading and haven't made it to the funny part yet! The Pickwick Papers is a great Victorian era comedy. I love Dickens' sense of humor. I can't wait to read more.

(view spoiler)

Cynthia (cynthiab) Through Chapter 10 (view spoiler)

Very good so far.

message 44: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Karen wrote: "Laura wrote: "What does that exactly mean? Does it mean we just can't accept my edition for the Air vs Earth read a thon mini challenge (846 pages) but I 'm still good to go for the buddy read?"

I..."

ok , thanks Karen!

message 45: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments I am not sure slapstick is even the right word at all. Maybe I just find some of the dialogue humorous. But it has been awhile. There is way more than humor in the story.

message 46: by Sarah (last edited Jan 07, 2015 01:48PM) (new) - added it

Sarah | 3273 comments Cynthia wrote: "Through Chapter 10

All shall be revealed.

Cynthia (cynthiab) Oh, now I must hurry up and read today's 10 chapters!

message 48: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

The writing style is really interesting and very unique. I could never find a way to describe it either. I checked wikipedia and it is summed up as:

"The narrative draws on various Romantic literary traditions, such as the comedy of manners, the Gothic tale, and the Byronic hero. The novel's language is a pastiche of 19th-century writing styles, such as those of Jane Austen and Charles Dickens."

message 49: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cynthia wrote: "Oh, now I must hurry up and read today's 10 chapters!"

teehee

Cynthia (cynthiab) Karen wrote: "The writing style is really interesting and very unique. I could never find a way to describe it either. I checked wikipedia and it is summed up as:

"The narrative draws on various Romantic litera..."

That's why it's one of those similar to but not quite feelings! I think we can comfortably say we're all brilliant in figuring it out.

Thanks for the link, Karen. That's an interesting article. Of course, I couldn't resist reading the articles on Dickens and Austen and blah and blah to infinity. If Wikipedia had existed when I was in school, I would have failed every class due to spending 18 hours a day on it.

« previous 1 3 4