Shut Up & Read discussion

Archived Reading Challenges > November TBR Cleanup Challenge

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Nov 03, 2014 06:24AM) (new)

Sheri | 12308 comments Mod
My TBR pile has grown exponentially over this past year, and I bet all of yours has too. Since it's getting to be the end of the year, I thought we should do some cleaning up of our TBR piles.

For this month's challenge, read only only books that are already on your TBR pile. Do not add new books for this challenge!

Remember, this is just for fun so if you don't make your goal, that's ok! Happy reading!

Photobucket

1. Challenges Gone By: Choose a book that you had slated to read for a past challenge but never got to.

2. Start Again, Start Again: Pick a book that you started but never finished.

3. Pick your favorite number. Now read a book from your TBR list that has that number in it. (If yours don't have numbers, you can enable sorting in batch edit - then clock "sort by position to reorder").

4. Sort your TBR alphabetically. Now select a book that begins with the first letter of your first name.

5. Now select a book that begins with the first letter of your middle name.

6. Now select a book that begins with the first letter of your last name.

7. Sort your tbr books by date added and read the "oldest" book (or a book added on the same day).

8. Sort your TBR books by average rating and read a book rated in the 20 highest.

9. Sort your TBR books by average rating and read a book rated in the 20 lowest.

10. Choose a BOTM book from your TBR list that you haven't gotten to.

11. Using the numbers on your TBR list (see pt.3), read book 23 on the list. (Random number)

12. Choose a TBR book that has been on your list for 6 months.

13. Choose a TBR book that has been on your list for 1 year.

14. Choose a TBR book that has been on your list for over a year.

Challenge Levels:
1. Easy – read 3-5 books
2. Medium – read 6-8 books
3. Hard – read 9+ books

message 2: by Aisha (new)

Aisha Oaktree (aishao) I'm so taking part I'm doing the first level. Tfs

message 3: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (last edited Oct 28, 2016 07:52AM) (new)

Leigh | 15894 comments Mod
I'm in.

Shut Up & Read November TBR Cleanup Challenge

photo 58b042a4-61de-4ee4-bfa7-96bb167e5e9b_zps2fc99723.jpg

Challenge Levels: Easy

Completed: 3/3

6. First letter of your last name. P: Phoenix Island (Phoenix Island, #1) by John Dixon 11/11

10. BOTM: Paper Towns by John Green 11/18

12. 6 months. Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2) by Jennifer Estep 11/30

message 4: by MollyK (last edited Nov 11, 2014 11:24AM) (new)

MollyK | 206 comments Cool challenge! I am trying to finish up the yearly challenges so I am going to go for easy on this one. I decided to devote more time in Nov/ Dec to more reading and less computering so this challenge is right up my alley.

K:

A Kiss of Shadows (Merry Gentry #1) - Laurell K. Hamilton

8. Sort your TBR books by average rating and read a book rated in the 20 highest.

Even the Red Heron - Julian Feeld, 4.77 avg rating (Goodreads giveaway winner)

9. Sort your TBR books by average rating and read a book rated in the 20 lowest.

Are These Eyeballs? - Garry Charles author avg rating2.91

message 5: by Carol (last edited Dec 02, 2014 02:49AM) (new)

Carol | 78 comments I'm in. Don't know how I'll do as I'm busy knitting Christmas presents. Will start with easy.

1)Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
2)Lost in a good book by Jasper Fforde
3)16 Lighthouse Road by Debbie Macomber
4)And then there were none by Agatha Christie

message 6: by NayNay (last edited Nov 26, 2014 06:08PM) (new)

NayNay November TBR Cleanup Challenge
Duration:
November 1/14 - November 30/14

Level: Hard – read 9+ books

1. Challenges Gone By: Choose a book that you had slated to read for a past challenge but never got to.
The Apothecary's Daughter by Charlotte Betts Apathocary's Daughter by Charlotte Betts 11/01/14 ***

Ruby Among Us (La Rosaleda Series #1) by Tina Ann Forkner Ruby Among Us by Tina Ann Forkner 11/17/14 ***

3. Pick your favorite number. Now read a book from your TBR list that has that number in it. (If yours don't have numbers, you can enable sorting in batch edit - then clock "sort by position to reorder").
Angel Fire (Lydia Strong, #1) by Lisa Miscione Angel Fire by Lisa Unger 11/06/14 ****

4. Sort your TBR alphabetically. Now select a book that begins with the first letter of your first name.
Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay 11/08/14 *** (Renee)

Lakeside Cottage by Susan Wiggs Lakeside Cottage by Susan Wiggs 11/03/24 **** (Louise)

Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult 11/22/14 ** (Belanger)

7. Sort your tbr books by date added and read the "oldest" book (or a book added on the same day).
The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson 11/11/14 ***

Winter Solstice Winter (Viking Blood Saga #1) by E.J. Squires Winter Solstice Winter by E.J. Squire 11/10/14 ****

Gypsy Lord (Garrick, #1) by Kat Martin Gypsy Lord by Kat Martin 11/02/14 ***

Never Look Away A Thriller by Linwood Barclay Never Look Away by Linwood Barclay 11/26/14 ****

11. Using the numbers on your TBR list (see pt.3), read book 23 on the list. (Random number)
The Secret (The Haunted Trilogy #1) by Kat Martin The Secret by Kat Martin 11/21/14 ****

Dead Girls Don't Lie by Jennifer Shaw Wolf Dead Girls Don't Lie by Jennifer Shaw Wolf 11/04/14 ****

Nothing To Fear (Romantic Suspense, #4) by Karen Rose Nothing to Fear by Karen Rose 11/05/14 *****

Shadowland by C.M. Gray Shadowland by C.M. Gray 11/03/14 ***

message 7: by Rachel Joy (new)

Rachel Joy Carol wrote: "I'm in. Don't know how I'll do as I'm busy knitting Christmas presents.

Hi Carol,
So nice to see a fellow knitter out there. I have the same problem, so many books to read and so many presents to make, all at the same time ;)! I've done books on audio in the past so that I could do both simultaneously, but I do love curling up on a cold day with my hot cocoa and book in hand, too. Tough choices . . .
Happy knitting to you!

message 8: by Rachel Joy (last edited Dec 01, 2014 02:07PM) (new)

Rachel Joy I am so in!
Challenge level: medium
Completed 7/7

4. Begins with the first letter of your first name. ~ The Restorer Nov. 9th
8. Book rated in the 20 highest. ~ Between the Spark and the Burn Nov. 22nd
9. Book rated in the 20 lowest. ~ The Prophet Nov. 21st
10. BOTM book ~ Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea Nov. 6th
11. Read book 23 on the list ~ Faerie After Nov. 8th
12. On your list for 6 months. ~ Sinner Nov. 28th
13. On your list for 1 year. ~ The Kingdom Nov. 16th

All done!

message 9: by Joi (new)

Joi | 39 comments When does this start?

message 10: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

Joi wrote: "When does this start?"

This goes through the whole month of November. I was a little late posting so you can include books from the last two days as well.

message 11: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

Leigh wrote: "I'm in.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Paper Towns. I read it this summer...

message 12: by Jennifer (last edited Nov 20, 2014 08:19PM) (new)

Jennifer (featherlashes) November TBR Cleanup Challenge
Hard – read 9+ books
Completed: 10/9+

1. Challenges Gone By: Wild Card (11/03/14)
2. Start Again, Start Again: Nothing Personal (11/02/14)
3. Favorite number (100): Blind Obsession (11/16/14)
4. First letter of first name (J): Johnny Be Good
5. First letter of middle name (S): Second Grave on the Left (11/04/14)
6. First letter of last name (B): Burn for Me (11/14/14)
7. "Oldest" TBR book: A Game of Thrones
8. Rated in the 20 highest: Heir of Fire (11/01/14)
9. Rated in the 20 lowest: Good Enough to Eat
10. BOTM book from TBR list: Bared to You (11/06/14)
11. Book #23 on the list: Roar and Liv
12. On TBR list for six months: Dirty Angels (11/10/14)
13. On TBR list for one year: Lady Luck (11/18/14)
14. On TBR list for over a year: Attachments (11/04/14)

Wild Card by Lora Leigh Nothing Personal by Jaci Burton Blind Obsession by Ella Frank Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson, #2) by Darynda Jones Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1) by Ilona Andrews Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3) by Sarah J. Maas Bared to You (Crossfire, #1) by Sylvia Day Dirty Angels (Dirty Angels, #1) by Karina Halle Lady Luck (Colorado Mountain, #3) by Kristen Ashley Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

message 13: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

Sheri wrote: "Leigh wrote: "I'm in.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Paper Towns. I read it this summer..."

My daughter is reading it for her reading class.

Amy (DemonKittie) (demonkittie) | 502 comments I am in.1. Challenges Gone By: Choose a book that you had slated to read for a past challenge but never got to.

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol | 78 comments Rachel wrote: "Carol wrote: "I'm in. Don't know how I'll do as I'm busy knitting Christmas presents.

Hi Carol,
So nice to see a fellow knitter out there. I have the same problem, so many books to read and so ma..."

You are so right. At the moment I'm making a Frozen Jumper for my daughter (she's 28!), a Dr Who Tardis Tea Cosy for a friend and mug cosies for Chirstmas Presents. I really need to stop working and just knit and read. :)

message 16: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

Congrats Jennifer!

message 17: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

Congrats Jennifer :)

message 18: by NayNay (new)

NayNay Finished my challenge....happy reading!

Level: Hard – read 9+ books

The Apothecary's Daughter by Charlotte Betts Apathocary's Daughter by Charlotte Betts 11/01/14 ***

Ruby Among Us (La Rosaleda Series #1) by Tina Ann Forkner Ruby Among Us by Tina Ann Forkner 11/17/14 ***

Angel Fire (Lydia Strong, #1) by Lisa Miscione Angel Fire by Lisa Unger 11/06/14 ****

Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay 11/08/14 *** (Renee)

Lakeside Cottage by Susan Wiggs Lakeside Cottage by Susan Wiggs 11/03/24 **** (Louise)

Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult 11/22/14 ** (Belanger)

The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson The Healer's Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson 11/11/14 ***

Winter Solstice Winter (Viking Blood Saga #1) by E.J. Squires Winter Solstice Winter by E.J. Squire 11/10/14 ****

Gypsy Lord (Garrick, #1) by Kat Martin Gypsy Lord by Kat Martin 11/02/14 ***

Never Look Away A Thriller by Linwood Barclay Never Look Away by Linwood Barclay 11/26/14 ****

The Secret (The Haunted Trilogy #1) by Kat Martin The Secret by Kat Martin 11/21/14 ****

Dead Girls Don't Lie by Jennifer Shaw Wolf Dead Girls Don't Lie by Jennifer Shaw Wolf 11/04/14 ****

Nothing To Fear (Romantic Suspense, #4) by Karen Rose Nothing to Fear by Karen Rose 11/05/14 *****

Shadowland by C.M. Gray Shadowland by C.M. Gray 11/03/14 ***

message 19: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

Congrats NayNay!

message 20: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

Finished.

Shut Up & Read November TBR Cleanup Challenge

photo 58b042a4-61de-4ee4-bfa7-96bb167e5e9b_zps2fc99723.jpg

Challenge Levels: Easy

Completed: 3/3

6. First letter of your last name. P: Phoenix Island by John Dixon 11/11

10. BOTM: Paper Towns by John Green 11/18

12. 6 months. Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2) by Jennifer Estep 11/30

message 21: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

Congrats Leigh! What did you think of Paper Towns?

message 22: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

Thanks Sheri! I was not a fan of Paper Towns. Margo was a selfish witch. While it was thought provoking, it was also slow.

message 23: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

Leigh wrote: "Thanks Sheri! I was not a fan of Paper Towns. Margo was a selfish witch. While it was thought provoking, it was also slow."

Lol, yeah I agree. I think I gave it 3 stars. And I hated how it ended!

message 24: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (last edited Dec 01, 2014 07:54AM) (new)

Sheri wrote: "Leigh wrote: "Thanks Sheri! I was not a fan of Paper Towns. Margo was a selfish witch. While it was thought provoking, it was also slow."

Lol, yeah I agree. I think I gave it 3 stars. And I hate..."

I did too. The road trip was fun.

message 25: by Rachel Joy (last edited Dec 01, 2014 02:08PM) (new)

Rachel Joy All done!
Challenge level: medium
Completed 7/7

4. Begins with the first letter of your first name. ~ The Restorer Nov. 9th
8. Book rated in the 20 highest. ~ Between the Spark and the Burn Nov. 22nd
9. Book rated in the 20 lowest. ~ The Prophet Nov. 21st
10. BOTM book ~ Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea Nov. 6th
11. Read book 23 on the list ~ Faerie After Nov. 8th
12. On your list for 6 months. ~ Sinner Nov. 28th
13. On your list for 1 year. ~ The Kingdom Nov. 16th

message 26: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

Congrats Rachel!

message 27: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

Congrats Rachel :)

message 28: by Carol (new)

Carol | 78 comments Just finished - Read 4. Not too bad

message 29: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

Great job Carol :)

message 30: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new)

Congrats Carol!