Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Miscellaneous Book Talk > Book / Reading goals for the rest of the year

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14291 comments Does anyone have any thoughts on your reading progress to date this year? Thoughts on what you will accomplish before 2015?
I am always a bit surprised at how fast time flies when November rolls around and the new year becomes so much closer. Thanksgiving is only three and a half weeks away! The days are shorter (especially with standard time back in place) and my thoughts today have begun to contemplate my annual reading goals and progress.
One of the things I do is start a lot of books and finish quite a few of them; but not all that I have started. I am going to make a concerted effort to reduce the "Currently Reading" list here on GR a bit by the end of the year, perhaps in half from fifteen books to maybe seven or eight. I have no idea if I will be successful, I have so many books I want to read! Of course I could just move them to another shelf, and I might - but these are books I really want to finish.

message 2: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments The biggest difference for me this year is this is the first time in about 15 years I will not reach my goal of 75 books!! I could blame it on so many things, but I will just mark it as a sub-par year. Hoping to get back on track next year!!!

message 3: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3590 comments i don't think i'll do as well as in past years, either! so far, i've read 54 books, so don't think i'll make 75 by the end of the year. i plan to end the year with Written in My Own Heart's Blood by diana gabaldon. i had started it, but had to put it aside to read book club reads for this group and my f2f group.

message 4: by LizH (new)

LizH (liz_h) | 955 comments Love Gabaldon! Can't even think about that book yet, not mentally prepared! Do do you think it is our age?? I hate to go there but it is the nagging thought in the back of my mind about inability to focus, easily distracted, etc!!! Lol!!!!

message 5: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1368 comments Since it's already November I doubt I'll get to my usual total of 150 reads by the end of the year, but given how badly my year started I'm happy that I've already passed a hundred reads.

message 6: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3590 comments LizH wrote: "Love Gabaldon! Can't even think about that book yet, not mentally prepared! Do do you think it is our age?? I hate to go there but it is the nagging thought in the back of my mind about inability ..."

lol, liz! i have had it on my kindle since it came out and just haven't had time to read it. it's my christmas present to myself to do it!

message 7: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3497 comments funny we must have esp Ann we think alike. I was just coming on the board to set something up like this for progress and what our thoughts if we are keeping the same systems for next year.
At this point I'm up to 11 books finished this month so far and 177 books for the year. Last year (since you know we always compare to the year before the total at that date from what I can tell since when I'm a few days or over a week behind and can't remember the exact date I just leave the date opened and just put the month and year but last year I was in the 180's at this point so I'm a few books behind this year. My goal is to at least get to 200 which I did last year 213 was that total. okay I kind of want to at least get that amt or higher. so 23 books to 200 and this month isn't over yet so I think I can do it. with the arcs that I've been reading and reviewing this year for the one newer publishing co. I get every book that they come out with. for the most part I feel at times when they give up more than 1 at time overbooked. my sister keeps saying I'm crazy for doing them. but I'm for the most part enjoying everyone of them and doing the reviews when it's not too many at a time it's okay too. but at time I feel I can't get anything else read. ones I get from the bookstores I can't seem to get too which I feel bad about. I don't know how some do it and keep on top of all the arcs they get so they are out on time. they might not all be page wise up there so if anything that has helped. Where some are behind on the books the only one I have is the one that I got yesterday so I'm current. So yes that makes me want to read something else and let that sit for awhile but I also know that going by their calendar ther might be at least another 2 or 3 we get this month if not more. so wanting to keep on top as soon as I get them is the right thing to do. and you all know I'm not one to read the same series book one after the other. that is so not true with these books. because it's been happening. I've read more christmas books already this year than I ever have in past years.
My goal is to finish all the current right now books I have. And next year I want to maybe bring down the current pile to one book or 2 on the ereader and no more than 2 real books at the same time.

message 8: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3497 comments Decided to start another post. The other thing I want to do is catch up (since I'm months behind) on my GRs finished bookshelf. I did buy as I mentioned in another post that I picked up the levenger's style notebook from staplers yesterday part of me wants to switch back to the BN notebook but I figured it can't hurt to have this one since my mind might change. if I get to the bigger BN I'll pick that other one up to have a copy just in case. at least that i can put 2 years in if I want and it ends up a thinner notebook when finished the one that I bought yesterday and used last year and this year I've already had to switch to the bigger rings so it ends up alot thicker. it's a good notebook but lately if I'm writing on one page it comes off the ring and has to be put back on. keeping it updated got away from me this year I used to write my entries when I finished the book this year it sometimes was over a week later when I had more books finished and it got to be just the basic info on top of the page and no comments. which I'm not happy with. also I got behind on the goodreads bookshelf. the books I reviewed yes they were done but not all the other books. so now by the end of the year I would like to get caught up with that. also I seemed to have more shelves for the arcs or the epub copies so I want to work on bringing them down. so that means figuring out what to do with the past ones. do I just start a folder for arcs/rev for 2015 and leave the past in the past folders. or do I just delete and have the main read/2014 folder or past year folders and get rid of all the other extra past year ones. what does everyone else do. I know if you don't read alot of books each year it's not much of a problem. then do I want a folder for each of the bookstores or the ebook locations each to it's own and keep it separate. I guess I could do one for tule (the one I get alot for) then have a folder for other ebook rev. then do one for booktowne and one for other (which is only well read). then a folder for read 2015, read ebook 2015, (then NTM author 2015, library 2015) so still ending up with 8 new folders. I know decisions.

message 9: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3497 comments Ann wrote: "Does anyone have any thoughts on your reading progress to date this year? Thoughts on what you will accomplish before 2015?
I am always a bit surprised at how fast time flies when November rolls ar..."

Ann, I would be very surprise if you don't pass up your past goals with the amt of reading you are doing just with your walking you are doing. You aren't getting as much real book reading done but the audios have to help.

message 10: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3497 comments I know I want 2015 to work different with my reading haven't exactly figured out yet what I want to do or change from what I'm doing now. I feel I have way too many books on the current pile (I'll figure that out today and post it on the regular thread the next time I'm online) hey what can I say I can't resist starting something new. if I finish a late night book then I start a new one rather than start reading something else that is on the current pile) I already know that on tuesday after my dr's appt I want to go down the street to well read and see what books I can get from the arc to review cart) that also means I'll buy a book or 2. but alot of you know I'm not buying as many books as I used to (thank you ereader). but my real book mountains never seem to go down. maybe I'm reading more ebooks then real books. maybe need to do a weed out.

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14291 comments Good luck catching up your shelves on GR, DJ. I have my recent years caught up and every once in a while when I see an author I don't have up to date for older books I gather the dates from my Excel file and update them. The stats on Goodreads will give you a page count and when you enter the dates read, will total your books by year, today I am "on track" for my 75 book goal per GR.

Donnajo wrote: " I guess I could do one for tule (the one I get a lot for) then have a folder for other ebook rev. then do one for booktowne and one for other (which is only well read). then a folder for read 2015, read ebook 2015, (then NTM author 2015, library 2015) so still ending up with 8 new folders. I know decisions. "

message 12: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3497 comments usually I don't bother with trying to find anymore the correct book if it's a ebook, or which version of the book I got. it got to be too much when I got behind last year and sometimes I couldn't even find the one I had. so now I just click whatever comes up. I used to put the page count etc in my comments but stopped even doing that. But I do put it in my written journal. I know the last time I did the update it was sometimes in the summer and I still was out a few books by the count at the end and couldn't figure out if I messed in numbering the pages or if something wasn't right with the way I put the book on grs. I'll have to go back and see what I'm up to and maybe see about starting to do the updating so I'll be caught up at the end of the year.
I finished 2 books yesterday. And I'll post them on the other thread.

message 13: by Wiley (new)

Wiley | 95 comments My recreational goal for the rest of 2014 is to finish Shadow of Night and The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness and possibly squeeze in Wolf Pact and Vampires of Manhattan, both by Melissa de la Cruz. My goal for 2015 is to get caught up with George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones books before the TV series catches up with me, and to get caught up with John Grisham, Lee Child and Anne Perry (it will be quite a challenge at the rate she writes; I am many, many books behind).

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14291 comments Good goals, Wiley! Ambitious, at least for me. I am not planning on catching up with Game of Thrones, but would like to start it in 2015.

message 15: by Wiley (new)

Wiley | 95 comments Thanks Ann! For Game of Thrones I just need to read the two latest books which I have on my iPad kindle app but other things keep getting in front of these. I read the first three when I was still in college ha. Love the books, so hopefully soon. Love the TV series too.

message 16: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1114 comments I loved the Harkness books.

message 17: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Wiley, I just read Shadow of Night and look forward to The Book of Life, although I will probably wait a bit as it was such a BFB.

message 18: by Wiley (new)

Wiley | 95 comments I am enjoying Shadow of Night. Most of my recreational reading is done at the gym on recumbent bike days so it has taken a long time to read, but I love the characters, history, magic/supernatural elements.

message 19: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Wiley, have you been won over to the joys of audiobooks? That is how I do most of my "reading" these days.

Wiley wrote: "I am enjoying Shadow of Night. Most of my recreational reading is done at the gym on recumbent bike days so it has taken a long time to read, but I love the characters, history, magic/supernatural ..."

message 20: by Wiley (new)

Wiley | 95 comments Hi Carol, I have enjoyed some audiobooks but still prefer visual right now --- physical or e. I do have a number of Dark Shadows audio dramas to listen to (read by a mixture of the original cast and other casts, plus new people!) so that may help convert me!

message 21: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3598 comments Wiley wrote: "Hi Carol, I have enjoyed some audiobooks but still prefer visual right now --- physical or e. I do have a number of Dark Shadows audio dramas to listen to (read by a mixture of the original cast an..."

You'll have to let me know what you think of those DS audios, Wiley. I've looked at them, but haven't been able to make up my mind. On the whole, I don't care for audios.

message 22: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3497 comments I caught up today on the written book journal (okay no comments only the top stuff. I know I'm bad have to get better next year. also need to still (yes still) catch up on the Goodreads finished book list for this year).
But back to what I was saying. I'm up to 189 books finished this year so far. last year's total at year end was 213. that means if I want to reach that at least what 24 books need to finish this month (haven't finished any yet and it's the 4th) yet I read 20 some books in November. (yeah, yeah too much time online not enough doing the reading thing). At this point I'll be happy if I get over 200 (11/12 books very doable)
I didn't forget about the off the stack DT challenge. will figure something out with Ann on that one.
also hopefully soon I'll get back to reading the 2nd traveling book. will see what I have for a 3rd after that one.