Clean Reads discussion

Recommendations For Books With A Twist?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elena (new)

Elena | 87 comments Could anyone recommend any clean books that have a twist (or multiple twists)? Pretty much any genre is fine, except romance. Thanks a lot! :)

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 1 comments 'The master of the clever twist' is Robert Goddard. He writes mysteries and all but his most recent books have very mild expletives in and no gore or anything to keep you awake at night. Most of his books don't have steamy sex scenes in as his 'heroes' are usually some of the world's failures, who happen to caught up in situations. I love his earlier books. For me, he is a wonderful British author who writes really well, often with gentle humour.

message 3: by Edie (new)

Edie | 5 comments I just finished the book "The Story Keeper" by Lisa Wingate. Both the mystery and romance are very low key; it is the story of the history of Appalachia and it does have a twist at the end. (fiction) It is a story within a story, the present-day part of the story is about a publisher who comes across an old story.

message 4: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 13 comments One of the first books that comes to mind is Agatha Christie's "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd". I didn't see the twist coming.

message 5: by Elena (new)

Elena | 87 comments Thank you all for your suggestions! I got a Robert Goddard book and am in the process of reading it (well actually, listening to it, since it's an audio book :). It's the first he wrote, I believe....."Past Caring". It's interesting so far!

Oh, and, Carolyn, you know what? It's funny, but I've just been listening to "Roger Ackroyd"!! Crazy, no? I'm a big Christie fan and I love her twists and surprises.....although I must say, while I was listening to "Ackroyd", something I read on the Internet long ago about the book popped into my head, and I believe it gave away the whole surprise!! I was so frustrated! lol I thought I'd put the book away for a while and see if I can forget the surprise, then pick it up again...may take years, but oh well. Thanks again, everybody!

CompassBookRatings | 26 comments Kate Morton's novels always have a twist in them. A great author of historical fiction set in the first half of the 1900's. To see content levels in some of her books, there are content reviews at www.compassbookratings.com for all of her novels.

message 7: by Elena (new)

Elena | 87 comments Thanks for the suggestions, CompassBookRatings.

message 8: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (handmaiden) | 170 comments The Thief, and the rest in its series, by Megan Whalen Turner.

message 9: by Elena (new)

Elena | 87 comments Will look into it, thanks Abigail!

message 10: by B (new)

B (deathandchocolate) | 37 comments The false prince by Sheila nielson

message 11: by Karin (new)

Karin Boutall (goodreadscomkarinb) | 8 comments Elena wrote: "Could anyone recommend any clean books that have a twist (or multiple twists)? Pretty much any genre is fine, except romance. Thanks a lot! :)"

Hello Elena:
Community Gardens is a clean read with a twist. It is the story of a woman who rebuilds her life after losing her husband. She turns an antebellum home into a thriving garden center while raising her son in a small southern town. But she runs into trouble when she attempts to build gardens near the library. If you like Fannie Flag's Redbird Christmas, you would like this book.

message 12: by Ian (new)

Ian Coates (iancoatesthrillers) | 5 comments Eavesdrop by Ian Coates is a "clean" thriller - no sex or bad language. Several reviewers commented on the story's unexpected twists and turns.

message 13: by Ljb (new)

Ljb | 2 comments looking for books for my 94 year old friend. she Loves Lillian Jackson braun - but we have almost finished her books. and she has enjoyed all of Catherine cookson too. we have ran through georgette heyer, Agatha Christie, Donald bain, erle Stanley gardener and so many more. please - can anyone suggest a prolific author similar to any of the previously mentioned ones? published books only as she has no interest to learn new technology :o)

message 14: by Edie (new)

Edie | 5 comments Veronica Heley does 3 different series, all of which are very good.She has written over 70 books.

message 15: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (handmaiden) | 170 comments Ljb, what about the Brother Cadfael mysteries by Ellis Peters? Lord Peter Wimsey books by Dorothy Sayers? No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith? Father Brown short stories, and other stories by G.K. Chesterton? P.G. Wodehouse? Margery Allingham? Nero Wolfe books by Rex Stout? James Herriot? D.E. Stevenson? Flavia de Luce books by Alan Bradley? Maisie Dobbs books by Jacqueline Winspear? Have you checked the group bookshelf for ideas?

message 16: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (coolmom23) | 1 comments Abigail wrote: "The Thief, and the rest in its series, by Megan Whalen Turner." Totally concur with this rec!!