Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)
This topic is about Unravel Me
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Mafi, Tahereh ; Unravel Me (Shatter Me #2), Informal Buddy Read, Start Date December 3, 2014

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31133 comments Mod

What is a Buddy Read?

This is an "Informal Buddy Read"
An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

Book synopsis

tick
tick
tick
tick
tick
it's almost
time for war.

Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.

She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch.

Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.

In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31133 comments Mod
reserved

message 3: by Khaoula E. (new)

Khaoula E. | 34 comments Great. Will try to read Shatter me in November and read this one with you guys!

message 4: by Greta (new)

Greta | 1459 comments Thank you Red Baron!

Marla | 1674 comments Looking forward to it ladies. I might start it earlier, but I will put my comments under spoilers, because I already have it from the library and it's due back on December 2nd.

message 6: by Damini (new)

Damini | 63 comments I had read Shatter Me earlier this year, didn't like it much though. But it ended on a rather curious note. So I'll read this one.

message 7: by Hope (new)

Hope | 22 comments Same it just didn't interest me as much it didn't get to the point I guess it was world building but it just didn't make me want to read the next one but I might just to see

message 8: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy H (twinypa) | 266 comments I am totally in :)

message 9: by Marla (last edited Nov 22, 2014 01:33PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marla | 1674 comments For once, I'm early...lol

Chapter 1-6: nothing much happens, except Juliette whine and feels sorry for herself and crushes on Adam
Chapter 7-9: (view spoiler)
Chapter 10-12: Love Kenji's talks at Juliette. (view spoiler)
Chapter 13-14: Okay, I may actually feel sorry for Juliette. (view spoiler)
Chapter 15-22: (view spoiler)
Chapter 23: Getting tired of the romantic dramatics.
Chapter 24-26: Training and even talking to Kenji is so good for Juliette.

message 10: by Marla (last edited Nov 23, 2014 01:30PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marla | 1674 comments Chapter 27-43: (view spoiler)
Chapter 44-56: Juliette get distracted and has NO idea how to interrogate a prisoner. (view spoiler)
Chapter 57-62: Warner can (view spoiler)
Chapter 63-65: (view spoiler)
Chapter 66-73 (end): Juliette gets (view spoiler)

I don't know how I can like this book, when I don't trust or like Warner at all, Juliette is all about herself and Adam is all emotional and lovesick. Kenji is definitely a large part of the reason I like this book and the crazy descriptions that almost don't make sense.

message 11: by Greta (new)

Greta | 1459 comments Marla, I will make sure to respond to you once I get started!!

Marla | 1674 comments Thanks Greta, I'll be popping back in after Dec 3. My library book was due :D

message 13: by Greta (new)

Greta | 1459 comments Ok, I've just started and I Realize its been a long time since I read the first book. It is taking a while for me to remember all the characters and what happened in the first book.

Marla | 1674 comments Me too, Greta, I didn't write a very detailed review of Shatter Me, so I wandered around and read reviews and such until I got a feel for the first book again. This book is so different, new faces, new location and new situation.

message 15: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Hmm. Been wanting to read this series.

Marla | 1674 comments I liked Cinder and I'm not a huge fan of retellings. So come play Kelly...

message 17: by Greta (new)

Greta | 1459 comments Marla wrote: "Me too, Greta, I didn't write a very detailed review of Shatter Me, so I wandered around and read reviews and such until I got a feel for the first book again. This book is so different, new faces,..."

I am going to that too then!

message 18: by Greta (new)

Greta | 1459 comments I have finished through Chapter 6.

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Greta (new)

Greta | 1459 comments Marla wrote: "For once, I'm early...lol

Chapter 1-6: nothing much happens, except Juliette whine and feels sorry for herself and crushes on Adam
Chapter 7-9: [spoilers removed]
Chapter 10-12: Love Kenji's talks..."

I'm through Ch. 14 now.
(view spoiler)

I wish I was more into this book! I hope it gets better!

Marla | 1674 comments Greta wrote: "I wish I was more into this book! I hope it gets better! "

Um...don't hold your breath? You've said much of what I thought and I was frustrated with most of the book.

message 21: by Greta (new)

Greta | 1459 comments Ch. 15 (view spoiler)

Marla | 1674 comments You're very compassionate Greta, I'm not very patient with fictional characters. I tend to reserve my empathy for real life. :D

message 23: by Greta (new)

Greta | 1459 comments Marla- I am trying to like her but it's just not working so far!!

message 24: by Greta (new)

Greta | 1459 comments Hey Marla, I think I'm going to give up on this one...I just am not enjoying it at all and I have too many other good books to read right now. I think you should still get the buddy read points for all of your observations. Sorry to bail...I wish I liked this book more!!

message 25: by Greta (new)

Greta | 1459 comments If you don't think you can get the points without me finishing, then I will press on and finish!

Megan (megantron119) | 159 comments Is anyone still reading this? I am halfway finished with Shatter Me and was hoping to get some more points for my tower team, but if not that's okay. :) I am waiting for the rest of the books to make it to my library branch.

message 27: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Megan wrote: "Is anyone still reading this? I am halfway finished with Shatter Me and was hoping to get some more points for my tower team, but if not that's okay. :) I am waiting for the rest of the books to..."

I have to read the first one first but then was planning on doing this one. Need to finish up some of my current open books though.

message 28: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Megan wrote: "Is anyone still reading this? I am halfway finished with Shatter Me and was hoping to get some more points for my tower team, but if not that's okay. :) I am waiting for the rest of the books to..."

BTW. There's a buddyread/bom post for Shatter Me here.

Marla | 1674 comments Megan, I read it last month and I'd discuss it with you, my comments start on Message 9, but I will warn you that I liked Shatter Me much better.

message 30: by Megan (last edited Dec 16, 2014 10:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Megan (megantron119) | 159 comments Thanks, Marla! I really appreciate it. I would've been back sooner, but I forgot about the buddy read post for it.

I loved Shatter Me, but I am really liking this one so far too.

I'm on chapter 36. I agree with everything you've said up to this point. (view spoiler)

Megan (megantron119) | 159 comments Holy cow! The end of chapter 38 an interesting twist to the story! I can't wait to find out what happens next!

Megan (megantron119) | 159 comments I still don't trust Warner either. (view spoiler)

Marla | 1674 comments Sorry, been busy with life.

I thought Juliette was (view spoiler)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments I had trouble remembering the first book so this one started out very confused for me, although I am glad she did not do a lot of retelling. I just went and read a summary of the first book so that should help me get going now!

Kay Kay | 1794 comments Greta wrote: "I have finished through Chapter 6.

I thought Juliette was whiny also,even though it must be really difficult to have people avoid you all the time. That would make me pretty mad and want to withdr..."

The good think about the repeating and the list like writing is that it takes up room on the page, so the book goes faster. Needless to say, I am not really enjoying this book either. I am on chapter 14

Kay Kay | 1794 comments Greta wrote: " Marla wrote: "For once, I'm early...lol

Chapter 7-9: [spoilers removed]
Chapter 10-12: Lov..."

That is exactly what I was going to post. (view spoiler)

Kay Kay | 1794 comments Just finished chapter 21
(view spoiler)

Marla | 1674 comments I liked Kenji better than Adam or Juliette in this book.

Kay Kay | 1794 comments Marla wrote: "I liked Kenji better than Adam or Juliette in this book."

So far I really do too!

Kay Kay | 1794 comments Ok. I finished it. I did not really like it. Here is why (view spoiler)

message 41: by Marla (last edited Feb 25, 2015 07:55AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marla | 1674 comments I agree Karrie, Juliette is NOT my favorite female main character. I might like everyone else more than her.

Laura | 9707 comments Karrie wrote: "Ok. I finished it. I did not really like it. Here is why [spoilers removed]"

I agree Karrie, Juliette is not my favorite character. I think I like Werner actually the most in this book! I just finished this one up this evening. I didn't like it as much as the first one. I am intrigued enough to want to find out what happens next!

Hi Marla!!