flight paths discussion

What are you reading? > notes for november

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2334 comments Get with the program!
That is what the seasons are signalling

I am still trying to catch up, not really ready to let go of the books I collected in the summer, before I have read them. But maybe I am ready to mark as read the ones I have indeed read, but not yet reviewed.

message 2: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1244 comments What program?

I'm hopelessly behind (for the first time in my GR life) in my reading challenge. All I can obsess about is work. What I'm reading: Academic Conversations: Classroom Talk that Fosters Critical Thinking and Content Understandings to try to jump start my teaching to another level. (one GR member commented on the title "Sounds pretentious"-amazing how something that petty can hurt. Heaven knows, I have read books that were far more "pretentious" than this one.

I hate the darker days and the lesson planning. Can't wait for next August. :(

What are you reading now?

message 3: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2334 comments ah, what program, i refer to the great revolution of the seasons,the cosmic cycle that is now reminding the trees to let go of their leaves, or something like that :-)
time of moving inward, hunkering down so when the winter arrives we wont be so vulnerable
or something like that...
i am having a lot of fun with rebecca goldstein, i believe you liked this. also reading pessoas poetry which doesn.t appear in gr lists.And just read 2 wonderful short works by Anne Lamott

message 4: by Kelvin (new)

Kelvin James (keloJames) | 1 comments Ellie wrote: "What program?

I'm hopelessly behind (for the first time in my GR life) in my reading challenge. All I can obsess about is work. What I'm reading: [book:Academic Conversations: Classroom Talk that ..."

Hi, Ellie, my name is Kelvin and i am a writer who used to be an avaricious reader and found that he has a talent for telling stories .. this is my first comment .. i read every thing you guys write in an effort to understand the modern readers' mindset, or what have you .. research one might say, so i can produce for a more diverse community of readers .. right now i want to suggest that you ignore comments that hurt .. they are meaningless, in truth .. every writer who has experienced rejections, then have the rejected win awards, every employee who has seen her suggestion rejected then employed by the supervisor, will attest to this .. don't make a difference really, you're the one w talent, your day will come on by .. karma is . . . so stay strong

message 5: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 756 comments Winter is coming ........ but for me retirement is still some years away.

message 6: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 756 comments Christmas is coming .......... just as well as my tbr at home is down to 4 books.

message 7: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2334 comments congratulations IB what an acheivement. i notice for every tbr book i can move to read, i have a few new titles to add.
Today returning to the difficult Train in Winter to honor remembrance day today.

message 8: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 756 comments Discovered 6 unread books in back room, rowing backwards.

message 9: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2334 comments My reading is like my life right now....determined by extraneous factors. The library! I finally got hold of the bookKrakenfor my very first ever group read, but no sooner did I get into it when I had to put it down for a book that needs returning tomorrow.
Then theres the Lethem and the Heideggar and Pessoa....and the train in Winter....

message 10: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 756 comments Struggling through Bright Empires where 1 book was probably enough not 5 The Shadow Lamp. First in the library queue for A Dance with Dragons: Dreams and Dust having been 8 of 15 at one stage. In the meantime a classic Wuthering Heights.

message 11: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2334 comments its a bit of a dilemma, these series that lose their compellingness. Does one bail asap or read on to the bitter end?

I adored Wuthering Heights

message 12: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 756 comments Continuing to grind through Asimov's Foundation books, have been distracted to crime A Clubbable Woman by Reginald Hill and Sidney Chambers and the Problem of Evil by James Runcie a local based crime series. And all because Santa is bringing more Game of Thrones books.

message 13: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2334 comments grinding through doesnt sound like you are enjoying much. i have been waiting for the right moment to get to Asimovs famous series...maybe it cant hold up to some of the more sophisticated stuff more recent