Start by marking “A Clubbable Woman (Dalziel & Pascoe, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Clubbable Woman (Dalziel & Pascoe, #1)

A Clubbable Woman

(Dalziel & Pascoe #1)

Home from Rugby Club after taking a nasty knock in a match, Connon finds his wife even more uncommunicative than ususal. After passing out on his bed for five hours, he comes downstairs to discover communication has been cut off forever - by a hole in the middle of her forehead. Down at the club, passions run high, on and off the field. This is a home game for Detective ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published March 1st 2004 by HarperCollins (first published 1970)

Start your review of A Clubbable Woman (Dalziel & Pascoe, #1)
Kay
Aug 29, 2007 rated it did not like it
OMG this was awful... I was positively spellbound by its awfulness. It was dreadful on so many levels -- the prose, the plot, the very assumptions that oozed out of the woodwork. Normally I don't finish books that I truly dislike, but this was an exception as I found its awfulness positively riveting.
Leah
Feb 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, re-read, 2016
A promising debut whose promise was fulfilled...

Sam Connon had been a rising star destined one day to play rugby for England, when his career was thrown off track by an injury. Still fit to play, though not at the top levels, he was a stalwart of the local rugby team in Mid Yorkshire, and still turns out occasionally for the fourth team the old-timers whose glory days are behind them. On this afternoon, he has had a kick in the head during a scrum, which has left him feeling woozy and sick. So
Carlin
Jan 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up
I read the first third of this book and gave up. It is too much of its time for me. The sexism is casual and the women not very likable. It was such a slog to get past the detective's unpleasant personality I never got to the point of caring about the crime.
LJ
A CLUBBABLE WOMAN (Pol. Proc.-Dalziel/Pascoe-England-Cont) G+
Hill, Reginald 1st in series
Felony & Mayhem, ©1970, US Paperback ISBN: 9781933397931

First Sentence: Hes all right.

Sergeant Peter Pascoe has a degree in social sciences and read criminology. His new boss is Superintendent Andrew Dalziel (Dee-ell) is big, sloppy, a copious drinker and has his own way of solving crimes. I their first case together, they investigate the murder of Mary Connon.

Mary Connon was a shrewish housewife
HBalikov
Jul 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
British mystery with a twist. Out in the hinterlands with the only writing I have recently encountered with a real effort to give us the Northlands manner of speaking. R. Hill is also talented at conveying smaller city manners, as well as, the nature and practice of the local police force. Definitely a page-turner.
rabbitprincess
May 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Dalziel and Pascoe completists
Recommended to rabbitprincess by: the Secondhand Bookstore Gods
A good enough entry to the Dalziel and Pascoe series. It is the first one, so readers more familiar with Hill's later work may be surprised by how his narrative voice feels. I don't remember Pascoe having quite so many internal monologues in later works, but it's interesting to see them in a more rambly form.

The case itself had decent twists and turns, but the atmosphere of the book was definitely saturated in rugby; the family at the heart of the case are involved with a rugby club. Not being a
Lobstergirl
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dr. Craig Spencer

Eh. The first one in the series is usually fairly bad. Hopefully they get better.

A slutty middle-aged woman of Yorkshire is found murdered and her husband, a rugby player, comes under suspicion. As does everyone at the Rugby Club. Hill's writing is not bad, but there's lots of vintage 1970 casual misogyny (starting with the double entendre title).
Mo
Mar 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
I tried 3 different times to read this book. This last time I actually made it to page 35 before bailing.
The formatting in the ebook was horrific.... it made the story jump all over the place.
I could not understand (nor care about) all the many, many, MANY references to rugby.
I intensely disliked both Dalziel and Pascoe.
Lia
Dec 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: crime
Dated. Badly written, far too slow. Too much unnecessary build up. It just wasn't a pleasurable read. I enjoyed the TV show which is why I read this book. If you like retro reads you might like it, otherwise I suggest giving it a pass.
David Highton
The book which introduces us to Andy Dalziel and Peter Pascoe, much seen on the TV version of the Hill books. First published in 1970, this is now a little dated and suffers from being too slow-moving. I hope the later books improve a little from this tale involving the local Rugby Club,
Ian Brydon
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Over the years I have read, and enjoyed, many of Reginald Hill's series of crime novels featuring Superintendent Andy Dalziel and his protégé Detective Sergeant (later Inspector) Peter Pascoe. As a pairing they formed a powerful fictional partnership: the gruff, often almost Neanderthal (and determinedly unreconstructed) Dalziel, raised in the 'school of hard knocks' complementing the younger Pascoe's university education and essentially liberal views. That contrast was, paradoxically ...more
Jules Jones
The first of the Dalziel and Pascoe novels is not as complex or thoughtful as some of the later books in the series, but it's still an entertaining mystery that lays the foundations of the relationship between two very different men who together form a formidable detective team. Even this first book displays Hill's witty style and elegant prose, if not to the same high level as later books.[return][return]The book is based around the goings-on at a rugby club that may or may not be connected ...more
Will North
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Stubborn, bloody-minded detectives are a regular feature of British detective mysteries (just think of Inspector Morse!). But Reginald Hills inspector Andrew Dalziel (pronounced Dee-al) takes the cake.

Old school, coarse, even vulgar when necessary to make a point, Fat Andy is a thorn in everyones sidewhich is exactly what he wants to be. Hes tenacious as a terrier, rude, and perpetually underestimated by the more cultivated suspects hes investigating. Being so is his modus operandi. Its a trap.
David Gooch
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well I have to say that this was a pleasant read and considering this was Hill's first Dalziel & Pascoe novel it is pretty good.
Ok it doesn't have hundreds of twists and turns but the writing presents some colourful characters and Hill brings them alive well. His two detectives certainly start in this book with a bit of a love/hate relationship. Dalziel has acerbic wit which is delivered quite well by the author and try as I might I couldn't help but picture Warren Clarke in the TV role as I
Homerun2
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it

This is a tough review. I read all the Dalziel and Pascoes years ago and loved the series, although some of them were downright odd. I decided to pick up the debut book with an eye toward re-reading the series from book one.

And at first, I didn't love it as much as I expected to. Being the first book, the characters are not fully developed, and to me, both Pascoe and Fat Andy are somewhat shallow. And I admit, the casual sexist attitudes made this one feel dated.

However, by the time I
Karen C
Feb 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
I did not like this book at all. The author was recommended to me by someone who knows I love British mysteries and series characters. However, this one was not good. Boring, too many references that, I assume, must pertain to the UK or even that time period when the book was written. Most of my reading is by foreign authors (British, Scottish, Norwegian, Swiss) and occasionally there may be a reference that I might not understand. But this one had too many of them. Plus I didn't care for any of ...more
Amanda Patterson
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Reginald Hill's award-winning Dalziel and Pascoe novels have been adapted into a BBC mini-series.
Dalziel is the boor, the 'fatman' who doesn't care what he says or does. Pascoe is university educated, intelligent with a beautiful wife. They are described as Laurel & Hardy. The first in the series introduces these characters when a rugby star's wife is found murdered at the club.
The two manage to investigate crime after crime, battling personality clashes and changes in their personal lives.
cloudyskye
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad at all for a first work. Interesting side characters, if a little too many for me to remember (I was interrupted a few times), and I'm looking forward to reading more about Dalziel and Pascoe, our coppers. I also enjoyed a little time travel into early 70s Britain, which was really well described.
And more nostalgia: gay meaning merry. Pascoe, quite one for the ladies, describes himself as "bachelor gay". ;)
Ronja
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointing. The Woodcutter was really good, I thought, but this one was really weak. Don't know what the fuss is all about (unless he gets better in the next 21 volumes...)
Deb Jones
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
I found this a thoroughly enjoyable read and look forward to reading more titles in this series along with other works by author Reginald Hill. A comfortable read.

A police procedural that focuses on the characters and their interactions as much as the unwinding of the murder investigation.
Sally Sharamitaro
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just beginning the series Dalziel & Pascoe, and have to admit I do love the relationship between them and will continue the series.
Abhishek
A man arrives home late at night with a headache and finds his wife dead. And the suspense begins... A Clubbable Woman by Reginald Hill does not waste time in getting to the point of the matter. It brings forth its characters quickly, does not dwell too much outside of the murder case's requirement, and moves at a bright pace though in a soothing manner without any excessive drama. Is that a good thing or not? Well, the boundaries of the book do limit the reader's involvement in the plot. There ...more
Mike
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: detective
Sometimes you just want some pulp fiction, a "whodunnit", an easy to read detective novel. That's my excuse for spending time reading this book. I've given it 2 stars, but it could easily be one star. Really it's rubbish, but I have to admit I kept reading it to see "whodunnit?".

I've only occasionally caught bits of TV episodes of "Dalziel and Pascoe", who are the detectives in this novel. I've heard positive reviews of it, and of the books. This book was the first in the D&P series.

It was
Suzanne
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
If this had been the first Dalziel & Pascoe that I had read, I probably wouldn't read any others, but it was checked out of the library, so I started with a later book and recommend that others do the same. While the writing is technically good, the characters are fairly flat and uninteresting and there are far too many of them. One problem is that the victim is murdered in the first chapter, so we don't really care. Another is that the work is as casually sexist as only a work published in ...more
Gavin
Mar 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: detective
The first in Reginlad Hill's Dalziel & Pascoe series of novels. The two protagonists are intorduced investigating a murder linked to a Rugby Club, where they both enjoy hanging around drinking with the players and their women.

A highly entertaining series this is and not one that has to be read in sequence because, unlike some, there's little or no exposition on the main characters' personal lives. And that's the way I like my detective novels. The personal lives tends to grate for me, but
Patience
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Wow, times change! I have to keep reminding myself that Hill started writing in the late 1960s and early 1970s, well before feminism changed EVERYTHING. His early books are sexist in the extreme, but as a 65-year old woman I well remember the casual sexism of the era. Hill seems to have progressed over the decades --- he is clearly an educated man --- but the early books, with their leering references to breasts and behinds, are hard to stomach. Still, if you can get past the sexism
(I know, I
Pamela Mclaren
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Bought the book to find out about Reginald Hill and enjoyed the story about a man who comes home from a soccer match and finds his wife dead and then the list of suspects grows. Although, I think the two main characters are very stereotypical (hopefully, the antagonism will become less in the following books), I did enjoy reading Dalziel and Pascoe's interaction and each character stays true to their background and storyline. The writing and the pace are very good.

Advancement of Learning was
Ed
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
#1 of the Superintendent Andrew Dalziel and Inspector Peter Pascoe series. In this debut novel of the long running series, Pascoe is still a sergeant. Although I tend to find British police procedurals podding by U.S. standards, the interaction between the two leads brings this series up a notch.

Superintendent Andrew Dalziel and Sergeant Peter Pascoe investigate the murder of Mary Connon. Her husband is the faded star of the local rugby club and much of the novel rotates around the politics and
Debbie Lamb
Oct 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I love the tv series so decided to delve into the audio books available around this series. Brian Glover as the narrator completely nails the attitudes of the characters and I can see how perfectly cast Warren Clarke was as Dalziel and Colin Buchanan as Pascoe.

I was brought up in Yorkshire so had no difficulties relating to any of the colloquial references or the attitudes of the people in that era but can see how others may disengage from the story.

A very easy book to listen to with a
Aine
Re-read after about 10 years.
The first of the Dalziel and Pascoe detective novels. Very clever and entertaining, although this first one mightn't be his best.
Having once been a contender, these days Connie struggles to line out for the rugby fourths. After an onfield collision, he returns home to find his wife particularly uncommunicative in the lounge. He retires to sleep it off; but, when he wakes he discovers that his wife isn't just unresponsive, she's dead.
The investigators are Dalziel - a
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Last Bus to Woodstock (Inspector Morse, #1)
  • Gallows View (Inspector Banks, #1)
  • From Doon With Death (Inspector Wexford, #1)
  • The Religious Body (Inspector Sloan #1)
  • The Babes in the Wood (Inspector Wexford, #19)
  • Surfeit of Suspects (Chief Inspector Littlejohn, #41)
  • Frost at Christmas (Inspector Frost, #1)
  • The Scold's Bridle
  • A Blunt Instrument (Inspectors Hannasyde & Hemingway, #4)
  • A Man Lay Dead (Roderick Alleyn #1)
  • A Silent Death
  • A Dedicated Man  (Inspector Banks, #2)
  • Death of a Ghost (Albert Campion Mystery, #6)
  • The Marx Sisters (Brock & Kolla, #1)
  • A Shilling for Candles (Inspector Alan Grant, #2)
  • The Killings at Badger's Drift (Chief Inspector Barnaby #1)
  • The Man With a Load of Mischief (Richard Jury, #1)
  • On Eden Street (Kings Lake #2)
Reginald Charles Hill is a contemporary English crime writer, and the winner in 1995 of the Crime Writers' Association Cartier Diamond Dagger for Lifetime Achievement.

After National Service (1955-57) and studying English at St Catherine's College, Oxford University (1957-60) he worked as a teacher for many years, rising to Senior Lecturer at Doncaster College of Education. In 1980 he retired from

Dalziel & Pascoe (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • An Advancement of Learning (Dalziel & Pascoe, #2)
  • Ruling Passion (Dalziel & Pascoe, #3)
  • An April Shroud (Dalziel & Pascoe, #4)
  • A Pinch of Snuff (Dalziel & Pascoe, #5)
  • A Killing Kindness (Dalziel & Pascoe, #6)
  • Deadheads (Dalziel & Pascoe, #7)
  • Exit Lines (Dalziel & Pascoe, #8)
  • Child's Play (Dalziel & Pascoe, #9)
  • Under World (Dalziel & Pascoe, #10)
  • Bones and Silence (Dalziel & Pascoe, #11)