Beyond Reality discussion

A Fire Upon the Deep (Zones of Thought, #1)
This topic is about A Fire Upon the Deep
Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > A FIRE UPON THE DEEP: Roll Call and First Impressions (*NO SPOILERS*)

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Please let us know if you've read or are planning to read A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge .

Please, **NO SPOILERS!!**

message 2: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 480 comments Read it some years ago and all of Vinge's subsequent work as well. This one is one of my all time favorites.

message 3: by Shel, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shel (shel99) | 2139 comments Mod
Ditto here. I would like to re-read this one this month if I have time, so I can contribute more to the discussion than my hazy memory.

Philip Athans (philathans) | 67 comments Okay, I'm in on this one. It was on my "to read" shelf and has been so often and so heartily recommended to me I'm excited to dig in!

message 5: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathi | 3103 comments Mod
I read this near the end of last month and am looking forward to the discussion. I recently started the next book, A Deepness in the Sky.

Jason Bullman | 2 comments About half way in and really enjoying it. All three of the settings/perspectives are pretty compelling.

message 7: by Kammera (new) - added it

Kammera | 25 comments What is wrong with me? I am really hating this one.

Nick (doily) | 966 comments Interesting comments. I am just starting this one.

message 9: by Janny (new) - added it

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Read this book awhile back - the ideas in it are never more pertinent, and have stuck with me for a very long time. The story is interesting in its own right, but it has been the powerful ideas that stuck with me, unforgettably.

Philip Athans (philathans) | 67 comments Kammera wrote: "What is wrong with me? I am really hating this one."

I don't think anything's wrong with you. I can't say I'm _hating_ it, but I'm finding it to be a lot of work. I'll share some gripes over in the other thread. I have some issues with the writing, but so far the book has some great ideas, and very robust (too robust?) worldbuilding.

Daniel (dward526) I wont be able to start this one until December, but that is ok

message 12: by Bill (last edited Dec 06, 2014 07:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill (kernos) | 334 comments I read this and others in the series when 1st published and this again about 6 years ago, but don't remember it at all. Even looking at the character names does not ring my bell. Sigh...

Janny, remind me of the 'powerful ideas' please.

Philip Athans (philathans) | 67 comments I really wanted to actually finish this book along with the group, but was overwhelmed by work in December and couldn't finish it--barely started, in fact. It was slow going for me--an awful lot of information packed way too densely, so densely the characters seemed to be buried most of the time. Still, there was some next-level worldbuilding going on. I'll give this one a second chance in the months ahead.

message 14: by Gord (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gord James (claymore) | 2 comments This is definitely one of my favorite books. I've read it a while ago and the story is still with me. Since, I've tried to recapture the enjoyment with Vinge's later works, but to no avail.

message 15: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments Agreed Gord. Deepness in the Sky came close and Children of the Sky just didnt have it at all.

Richard Dowling Just started this and love the ambition he shows. The aliens are really well depicted--so far, at least!