Time Travel discussion

Time's Edge (The Chronos Files, #2)
This topic is about Time's Edge
Official Monthly Group Giveaways > Winner Declared November "Time's Edge" by Rysa Walker

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

Lincoln | 1290 comments Mod

THE CHRONOS FILES!! This month we are in for a sweet treat not a single book for our monthly giveaway, but the entire series!

Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1) by Rysa Walker Timebound is book one of the series, Time's Edge (The CHRONOS Files, #2) by Rysa Walker Time's Edge is book 2 and Time's Echo (The Chronos Files, #1.5) by Rysa Walker Time's Echo is a novella that lands between them.

The series is written by our very own Rysa Walker Rysa Walker

One lucky winner will be walking away with signed copies of Timebound and Time's Edge and will have a choice of format for Time's Echo either kindle or audio.

For a chance to be randomly selected to win simply answer the following discussion question:

Prudence, one of the characters in The CHRONOS Files series, frequently travels back to give her younger self advice and, on occasion, direct orders to change some course of action. If you could be assured that there would be no major consequences beyond your own life, would you go back in time and talk yourself out of the single worst mistake you ever made? Why or why not?

message 2: by Melinda (new) - added it

Melinda | 1 comments You know, I would go back and tell myself to really savor the time with my kids as they were growing up. I feel like I did so, and yet I could have done more. And I would tell my husband not to start the remodeling project that has been going on for years now, or tell him to scale it back.

message 3: by Glen (new)

Glen | 4 comments Absolutely, no question about it.I never ever thought my life would turn out like it has. Neither good nor bad just different, limited in many ways. So yes definitely.

message 4: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

I think you always want to make the best decisions for yourself, and hard decisions especially those that lack experience in yourself need help from others. Whether it be from parents, a trusted expert, or even God himself, in some aspects of your life. If it was such a critical decision what comfort it would be to get the go ahead from your future self. Also, the fact that doing so would not cause paradoxes or any other time travel mayhem.

On the other hand, if my mother was told not to drive on my birthday, when she was in a car accident while pregnant with me, leaving me disabled my entire life...would I change that? Some people would say absolutely why would you not?

Yes I think I wonder what it would be like to have a "normal" life. But to take away my whole life experience away from me as it was, is to take away who I am and who I have become.

So, Yes, and absolutely NOT!

Candace (cprimackqcom) Lincoln, you may be a better time traveler than me! My disability is genetic, passed down to me from my maternal grandfather. One way that I could go back and get rid of this painful disease is to do an opposite Back to the Future plan. I could make sure my grandmother and grandfather never meet!

I don't think theirs was a "love" match if that helps....but no... That is a LOT of ripples and you're right, in this case it would literally take away who I am (different DNA). I wish I could think of a plan B with smaller ripples, could I go back and somehow influence an earlier discovery of the disease, therefore earlier research and more medications at this stage, hmmmm

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 427 comments Yes, I made a few very poor choices in my early twenties, that I would love to travel back in time and talk myself out of. However, I have bounced back from those mistakes, and who knows what kind of a different life "undoing" those choices would have made. If I don't like the outcome, can I go back and unfix it? Sounds like the Butterfly Effect to me-which didn't turn out so well.

Jessica (dreamerj) I would love to go back and advise myself prior to the worst mistake I've ever made, however that would change a good 6-10 years of my life, and I don't know what would have happened instead. This question specifies "consequences", do those have to be necessarily negative? Or do we mean more "results"? If those 6-10 years went differently but not necessarily more negatively, then I would intervene if given the chance.

message 8: by Karen’s Library (last edited Nov 08, 2014 11:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karen’s Library | 11 comments I agree with both Heather and Jessica! If I change those awful choices I made in my past, I may not be the person I am today and I really love myself and my life now. I guess I would have to keep everything as is.

message 9: by Craig (new)

Craig Seymour | 19 comments I can't imagine taking any chance at losing what I have. Even a small change could end up causing one of my boys not to be born. No problem I have encountered could possibly be as bad as losing one or both of them.
In Time Skip my protagonist struggles with just this problem, only he doesn't really have a choice.

message 10: by Paul (new)

Paul (paulstevens) | 0 comments Absolutely!

A short list of things to tell my younger self:
Eat your vegetables
Pay more attention in Math class
Don't eat the cream buns from the school tuck shop (refectory)
Get out of that Christian Brothers school at any cost.

message 11: by Jacklyn (new)

Jacklyn Lo (jacklyn_a_lo) | 12 comments How to win the "Time's Edge"?

message 12: by Nels (new)

Nels (nelswadycki) | 11 comments I think this question is one of those that makes Time Travel such an interesting topic... I could think of several extremely stressful situations that I could probably go back and change without really affecting anyone besides me, but are any of those really that important that it would be worth the risk that somehow that was actually an event that impacted me much more than I think it did?

If I could just erase an event from my life without any impact on where I am right now, then that would be a much easier choice.

message 13: by Craig (new)

Craig Seymour | 19 comments Nels wrote: "If I could just erase an event from my life without any impact on where I am right now, then that would be a much easier choice."

I think if an event is relevant enough that you would bother changing it, then you could probably count on repercussions down the line.

message 14: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 32 comments I would love this. I would tell my younger self to not get so upset about the small things. It all works out in the end and time spent thinking about small problems is time wasted.

message 15: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

Jacklyn wrote: "How to win the "Time's Edge"?"

Jacklyn please read the first post at the top of this thread it asks a discussion question. If you are interested in having a chance to win simply post an answer to the question.

Thanks for participating and welcome to the time travel group!!

message 16: by Tej (new)

Tej (theycallmemrglass) | 1725 comments Mod
Bloody heck, two sequels already to an excellent first book in the series!? Where the hell have I been? Well actually I know where I have been which meant my time on here severely suffered so I missed all these announcements of my all of my favourite books and missing out in taking part in so many cool discussions in the group.

So perhaps that's what I will do in answer to the prize question. I will go back in time to earlier this year and tell myself...look here, Tej, this was and always was your favourite hangout discussing your favourite genre...so pay more bloody attention to it and read more books instead of faffing around with all that blasted cricket and astronomy.

Of course it may not work because very likely I would suffer a heart attack at the sight of me appearing in front of me.

message 17: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

Tej wrote: "Bloody heck, two sequels already to an excellent first book in the series!? Where the hell have I been? Well actually I know where I have been which meant my time on here severely suffered so I m..."

Sure missed you Tej, glad to see you comment and get more involved again. The astronomy however is Awesome! and I know how busy one can get...I just wished I was a faster reader so I could keep up with every awesome book that comes my way!

message 18: by Bob (new)

Bob (armycop) | 5 comments I've often considered this question. I don't think I would change anything about my life, at least in the far to middling distance, because it's the life I've lead and to change it would start a cascading effect that may not guarantee a better life than the one I've had so far.

That being said, I would probably risk it for the recent past of a year or less, especially to give myself those winning lottery numbers on a big Powerball the week before it was won. :)

message 19: by Rysa (last edited Nov 30, 2014 08:52AM) (new) - added it

Rysa Walker (rysawalker) | 86 comments Hello, everyone! Love the interesting ideas that popped up in this discussion. I apologize for not stopping by earlier, but this has been an insanely busy month and I've been hiding in the writing cave, hoping to meet my deadline for the final book in the series.

Jean Luc Picard summed up my own personal feelings on this in the ST:TNG episode "Tapestry": "There were many things in my youth that I'm not proud of... they were loose threads... untidy parts of myself that I wanted to remove. But when I pulled on one of those threads... I unravelled the tapestry of my life."

I have a family and a career that I love, so nope...not tugging on any of the threads in my tapestry! :)

I put the names into an online randomizer and the winner of the signed set is Jessica! I'll drop you a message so that you can let me know your mailing address. Congrats--and thanks to everyone for participating.

message 20: by Rysa (new) - added it

Rysa Walker (rysawalker) | 86 comments Tej wrote: "Bloody heck, two sequels already to an excellent first book in the series!? Where the hell have I been? Well actually I know where I have been which meant my time on here severely suffered so I m..."

Well, technically one and *1/3* sequels. :) Time's Echo is a novella, so not sure that I can count it as a full-blown sequel. And I completely agree with your point about carving out more time for this group...and in my case, for Goodreads and reading in general!

message 21: by Paul (new)

Paul Wandason (tadpaul353) | 142 comments Tej wrote: "...faffing around with all that blasted cricket and astronomy.

Of course it may not work because very likely I would suffer a heart attack at the sight of me appearing in front of me. "

I agree that that would be a bit more serious than a leg before wicket!

message 22: by Jeny (new)

Jeny Lincoln wrote: "THE CHRONOS FILES!! This month we are in for a sweet treat not a single book for our monthly giveaway, but the entire series!

Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1) by Rysa WalkerTimebound is book one o..."

It would have to be something super important. Like this one event changes me completely and puts me in a dark place and I cannot escape. I will absolutely go back and fix it.