Flights of Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Books & Discussions > What are you reading in November 2014?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Felina (new)

Felina | 821 comments I'm reading Soulless and having a good time with it so far.

message 2: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments After a disappointing October (I spent more time coughing than reading), I'm hoping to break out and have a productive month.

I'm working on Artful, a sequel of sorts to Oliver Twist. It's pretty cool, written by Peter David. He's written some of the best Star Trek, X-Factor, and Incredible Hulk out there. He also is the writer to the Dark Tower comic series.

Still easing through The Goldfinch and I'm sick that as much time as I've spent on The Magician's Land, I'm not even halfway.

message 3: by Katrina (new)

Katrina I am currently reading You Shall Know Our Velocity!...I am super anxious to get through it, but don't want to abandon it. Just antsy because my next reads are going to be The Slow Regard of Silent ThingsWizard and Glass!

message 4: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I'm rereading Belgarath the Sorcerer

message 5: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Chris wrote: "After a disappointing October (I spent more time coughing than reading), I'm hoping to break out and have a productive month.

I'm working on Artful, a sequel of sorts to Oliver Twi..."

Hope you're feeling better, Chris.

message 6: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Thanks, Laurel. I think I'm just about over this stuff.

message 7: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Wait. You're still sick, Chris? I thought you were better.

message 8: by Paolo (last edited Nov 01, 2014 05:47PM) (new)

Paolo (ppiazzesi) | 166 comments Started reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? today, and I'm about 30 pages from finishing it. This is my first PKD book and I'm glad I picked it up.

Also still reading Acceptance and The Midnight Queen.

message 9: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Wait. You're still sick, Chris? I thought you were better."

I had two colds in October. They hit me hard for about three days, then leave me with a lingering cough for two weeks. Just when I finished the one, the second one got me.

message 10: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments :(

Have you had hot toddy's?

message 11: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments MrsJoseph wrote: ":(

Have you had hot toddy's?"

No..is that my problem? heh

message 12: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments lol

Well, I'm a firm believer in them BUT I've been told thats my love of liquor.

My cocktail is peppermint or chamomile tea withe the juice & pulp of a whole lemon, honey and rum. I loved putting TheraFlu in it but they don't sell it anymore.

message 13: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments I'd be willing to try it...has to be better than NyQuil.

message 14: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Oh, it is, Chris. It really is.

message 15: by Michelle Von (new)

Michelle Von  (catsandfantasy) | 123 comments I'm currently focused on Rump: The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin. 78% through, and it's just OK (to me).

message 16: by Thaddeus (new)

Thaddeus White | 69 comments Just begun King of Thorns. Too early to give a proper judgement, but I am enjoying what I've read so far. It's an interesting setting, a sort of second Dark Age centuries after a nuclear apocalypse, with a mix of magic and technology (but mostly medieval society and weapons).

message 17: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Started The Scavengers this morning, which I won as a first read a month or so back, and which got put on hold by vacation and then Horrortober. Not bad so far.

message 18: by Dominic (last edited Nov 04, 2014 04:46PM) (new)

Dominic | 3 comments I just started reading Steven King's new(ish) book Joyland yesterday . I am not a huge king fan, once I discovered Clive Barker as a kid I pretty much took that path in the horror world. I have read a bunch of his short fiction and a couple book (fav being the Regulators and the first watchtower book) but man I am loving this book. I have been pretty obsessed with theme parks/carnivals for my entire life so that is why I decided to pick it up but now I can't stop reading it. It is a great coming of age story with some really good writing, not just your average junk horror but not really horror at all (besides the horrors of everyday life, love loss etc..) so I havea feeling those who want straight horror king were disapointed, the more Shawshank/Green mile crowd probably enjoyed Joyland. The supernatural and mystery (it really looks like a mystery novel from the 40s based on the cover and is in the "hard case crime" series of books) is put in the backseat for a really well told story about life. It makes me wish I worked in an east coast theme park as a kid, I probably would have if they were around but growing up in Arizona I was out of luck!

Anyone else read this title, I am trying to pace it out so I don't rip through the whole things in 2 days but man, I really want to keep going!

Sorry this is so long, I am kinda new here and excited to talk books with others, Birdbox was the first book I read with the group but did not really comment on it but really liked that one as well, would not have known about it otherwise!

message 19: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) LOL - I think you meant the Dark Tower. "Watchtower" is... not quite the same. ;)

I enjoyed Joyland, though after reading it one of my GR friends pointed out a lot of issues with the carnival detailing... but having no knowledge of that stuff going in, I enjoyed it. I liked the characters and the general feel of the story. It was definitely a quick read!

Welcome to the group, by the way. :D

message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Chris wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: "Wait. You're still sick, Chris? I thought you were better."

I had two colds in October. They hit me hard for about three days, then leave me with a lingering cough for two week..."

Dude. Me too. I'm suffering through my second round this month. It's freaking irritating! I can't breathe, my head hurts, and I'm exhausted all the time.

And I haven't read a single page in weeks. Though I have been watching a lot of stuff that the boy wouldn't really enjoy. So, there is that. Of course, he comes back tonight, so I'll be back to no TVing it soon.

message 21: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments There was a lady at the train station giving out Watchtowers today...

message 22: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments finished 'The Scavengers' - my first reads win. It was a pretty good MG dystopian adventure... I almost went 3.5 stars, but the ending fizzled a bit, so just went with 3.

Started The Unbound, book two of the Archived, and I'm realizing how little I remember of the first book, but it's doing a decent job of filling in the blanks without being too "previously on... " about it.

I meant to give props to Chris for this one, as I discovered the series through him, and it's one of the few recommendations (of sorts) that I've actually enjoyed. ;)

message 23: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Maybe I should read it, then. Heh.

And I'm still coughing some, though mostly from habit at this point.

message 24: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I'm not entirely sure you would like it, actually. Bit too romancey, maybe.

message 25: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Hmmm...We'll see then..

message 26: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments In fairness to the book, there's other stuff to like about it... I'm just not sure of your romance/other stuff ratio. :>

message 27: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments I can handle some. I'm actually more likely to read Vicious, and go from there.

message 28: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I didn't like Vicious so much... so, yeah, you'll probably like it. :>

message 29: by Paolo (new)

Paolo (ppiazzesi) | 166 comments I liked Vicious a lot! Victor is such a great character. I love stories that are about, as the book puts it, the battle between bad and worse.

message 30: by Sinistmer (new)

Sinistmer | 212 comments Currently reading the group read, Maplecroft. It's fun--I'm not wildly enthusiastic, but the horror elements and the "scientific" narrative aspects are enough to keep me entertained.

message 31: by Dominic (last edited Nov 06, 2014 09:42AM) (new)

Dominic | 3 comments haha yeah, Darktower not watchtower, I thought that sounded kinda weird when I typed it out. I am not reading Jehovahs Witness pamphlets by King, though those may be interesting haha... I am not sure how correct the carnival aspects of the story are but I dig it, seems believable to me but I have no experience, just as a visitor not an employee. Thanks for the welcome, look forward to talking about more books in the future!

message 32: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I've recently picked up again with the two books I was reading before my October reading break - The Company & Asylum.

Not really loving either one, but I feel like I should finish them anyway.

message 33: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Becky wrote: "I've recently picked up again with the two books I was reading before my October reading break - The Company & Asylum.

Not really loving either one, but I feel like I..."

Reject them with prejudice.

message 34: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) LOL I know, right? I want to read something that I can just get caught up in and love. But nothing is calling me. *sigh*

At least Asylum is read by Sir Ian McKellan, which is reason enough to finish that one right there.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 1381 comments I've been burning through library books this month plus some nonfiction including e for different church groups. I'm a little burned out suddenly. The nonfictions I'll have to stay with, but I may just send some library books back. I've got a couple of "military science fiction" books I want to get into...I also don't want anything too deep for a while.

message 36: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "I've been burning through library books this month plus some nonfiction including e for different church groups. I'm a little burned out suddenly. The nonfictions I'll have to stay with, but I may ..."

I know that feeling...

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 1381 comments :) Using audio books, more time to worki on my leather as I listen.

The knob on my front door just came off in my hand...center shaft is broken. Need a new one.

sigh.

message 38: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: ":) Using audio books, more time to worki on my leather as I listen.

The knob on my front door just came off in my hand...center shaft is broken. Need a new one.

sigh."

That sucks. :(

Sure it can't be taken apart and reassembled?

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 1381 comments I did. The shaft is broken. I called the apartment maintenance guy and the property manager he should be here soon. The one good thing about renting.

message 40: by Chris , cookie guilt (last edited Nov 14, 2014 07:43PM) (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments I finally finished The Magician's Land. I was still mired at around 2/3 and found the audiobook, ftw. One afternoon later, and I'm finished at last....

The only thing I didn't like was that the narrator made Poppy sound like the Geico lizard.

message 41: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Chris wrote: "I finally finished The Magician's Land. I was still mired at around 2/3 and found the audiobook, ftw. One afternoon later, and I'm finished at last....

The only thing I didn't like..."

Yaaay?

message 42: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Now I'm doing the same thing with The Goldfinch. Seems like audio is the only way I can push through a book these days.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 1381 comments I listen to a lot of audio books. They allow me to "read" as I do other "stuff".

message 44: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Exactly. Since I find myself constantly doing other stuff.

message 45: by Kat (new)

message 46: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Katrina wrote: "I'm about to start Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders :)"

That's a great collection. :)

message 47: by Sinistmer (new)

Sinistmer | 212 comments Becky wrote: "Katrina wrote: "I'm about to start Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders :)"

That's a great collection. :)"

I need to read it!

I am planning to read Warbreakersoon.

message 48: by Paolo (new)

Paolo (ppiazzesi) | 166 comments I've been reading.... not much at all!

message 49: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Paolo wrote: "I've been reading.... not much at all!"

Join the club! :P

message 50: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I'm currently reading Sanctum by Madeleine Roux, sequel to Asylum.

I know some of you read Asylum, and the reception seemed lukewarm, at best, so this may be a moot point - but if anyone was considering on continuing with Sanctum, I'm gonna go ahead and suggest you don't.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.