Something Old, Something New discussion

Monthly Challenges > November 2014 TBR Takedown Challenge

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Michelle (shelld79) | 754 comments Mod
Well, it's November already, can anyone believe it? I know I certainly can't.

So, here are the challenges for November to reduce that never-ending TBR pile!

1) November 3 - On this day the Soviet Union launched the spacecraft Sputnik Two in 1957. Read a book about space travel or that features space in some form (planets, aliens, etc).

2) November 4 - The entrance to King Tutankhamen's tomb was discovered in 1922. Read a book that takes place in Egypt, where someone makes a great discovery or one that features a King or other royalty as a main character.

3) November 8 - The French museum 'The Louvre' was opened to the public in 1793. Read a historical fiction book or one that features France, a museum or art in some way.

4) November 13 - Artificial snow was first used by skiers in 1946. Read a book that takes place in winter or is centered around a country that typically has a lot of snow.

5) November 26 - Captain Cook discovered Maui in 1778. Read a book that takes place on a tropical island or another exotic holiday destination you've always wanted to go.

6) November 30 - The first documented occurrence of a person struck by a meteor happened in 1952. Read a book that contains an unbelievable event or that has a main character with really bad luck.

Score 10 points for the first book from each category read, then an additional 5 points for any others from the same category.

Eg: Read a book for (6) that contains an unbelievable event = 10 points
Read another book for (6) that contains a character with bad luck = 5 points, etc

Happy Reading!!

message 2: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

Reserved for scores!

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky 1) November 3 - On this day the Soviet Union launched the spacecraft Sputnik Two in 1957. Read a book about space travel or that features space in some form (planets, aliens, etc).

2) November 4 - The entrance to King Tutankhamen's tomb was discovered in 1922. Read a book that takes place in Egypt, where someone makes a great discovery or one that features a King or other royalty as a main character.

3) November 8 - The French museum 'The Louvre' was opened to the public in 1793. Read a historical fiction book or one that features France, a museum or art in some way.

4) November 13 - Artificial snow was first used by skiers in 1946. Read a book that takes place in winter or is centered around a country that typically has a lot of snow.

5) November 26 - Captain Cook discovered Maui in 1778. Read a book that takes place on a tropical island or another exotic holiday destination you've always wanted to go.

6) November 30 - The first documented occurrence of a person struck by a meteor happened in 1952. Read a book that contains an unbelievable event or that has a main character with really bad luck.

Score 10 points for the first book from each category read, then an additional 5 points for any others from the same category.

Read another book for (6) that contains a character with bad luck = 5 points, etc

message 4: by Colleen (last edited Nov 24, 2014 10:25AM) (new)

Colleen 1) November 3 - On this day the Soviet Union launched the spacecraft Sputnik Two in 1957. Read a book about space travel or that features space in some form (planets, aliens, etc). Cinder

3) November 8 - The French museum 'The Louvre' was opened to the public in 1793. Read a historical fiction book or one that features France, a museum or art in some way. Me Before You

4) November 13 - Artificial snow was first used by skiers in 1946. Read a book that takes place in winter or is centered around a country that typically has a lot of snow. At the Mountains of Madness

6) November 30 - The first documented occurrence of a person struck by a meteor happened in 1952. Read a book that contains an unbelievable event or that has a main character with really bad luck. Left Neglected

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol Brill (goodreadscomuser_carolbrill) Colleen wrote: "1) November 3 - On this day the Soviet Union launched the spacecraft Sputnik Two in 1957. Read a book about space travel or that features space in some form (planets, aliens, etc).

2) November 4 -..."

I picked #6 because Nov. 30 was also my mom's birthday and I was born in 1952.
) November 30 - The first documented occurrence of a person struck by a meteor happened in 1952. Read a book that contains an unbelievable event or that has a main character with really bad luck.
On the way to a very hope-filled ending, there's lot's of bad luck for the main characters, Vivian and Molly in Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline

10 points

message 6: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (last edited Nov 12, 2014 05:43PM) (new)

1) November 3 - On this day the Soviet Union launched the spacecraft Sputnik Two in 1957. Read a book about space travel or that features space in some form (planets, aliens, etc).

Outback Blaze - finished 10/11/14 - takes place during winter

Total points = 10

message 7: by Michelle, Too many books, too little time! (new)

So I only managed to read one book that fit the challenge this month.
It was a slow reading month for me in general so I think I'm lucky to even have that! Lol!