A Good Thriller discussion

Hobbies & Sports > Which Sport Would You Like To Know More About?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5714 comments Mod
Cricket, baseball, American football, whatever it may be, you can talk all things sport here and teach us a thing or two!!

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin | 172 comments As an Englishman I feel it's my duty to educate the rest of the world about the game of football. So come to me with all the questions you want answered. I'm also into formula 1, rugby, cricket and tennis. If there's one sport I can't get into it's snooker. I have absolutely no understanding of the sport.

message 3: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Excellent, Robin, thank you! :)

message 4: by Janet , Moderator (new)

New we need some American experts! ;)

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin | 172 comments We do indeed, although talking to American experts about their sports will invariably lead to me teasing and irritating them which I might add will be totally unintentional. *innocent face*

message 6: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Sean Peters | 9350 comments Mod
Well Robin,

I can help you on the snooker as I play for my club (tennis club)2-3 times a week.

Play tennis 2-3 times a week, and have played for over 30 years for the Island of Jersey.

Play singles, doubles and mixed doubles, but do still enjoy my singles althou a super vet now(over 55's)

Love boxing, watch the golf, darts, formula when time allows.

message 7: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Do not understand....

Baseball

Ice Hockey

American Football

Baseball (although a little I guess as I played rounders as a kid)

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin | 172 comments For any Americans who read this, baseball is just glorified rounders. BUHAHAHA!

message 9: by Robin (new)

Robin | 172 comments Sean wrote: "Well Robin,

I can help you on the snooker as I play for my club (tennis club)2-3 times a week.

Play tennis 2-3 times a week, and have played for over 30 years for the Island of Jersey.

Play sing..."

Hey Sean who's your favourite tennis player?

message 10: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Many favourites, male and female over the years.

Sadly just watched Andy Murray lose tonight, he just run out of steam after the last great six weeks.

I loved Jimmy Connors, Andy Murray, Roger Federer, but really is the match ups that make the matches.

Just enjoy certain players playing each other and battle to the end !!

You can tell I was a boxer for years, eleven years when I was younger, that has given me the fight and toughness to win.

Loved Monica Seles and Steffi Graf.

message 11: by Robin (new)

Robin | 172 comments Wow Murray's defeat is a shame. But I think he's still qualified for the end of season ATP tournament in London. Personally my current favourite is nadal, although he seems to always have some sort of injury.

message 12: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Sadly too many. In for surgery now, appendix.

Out for the year.

Murray has qualified, still places left with the semi-finals in Paris Indoors.

message 13: by Robin (new)

Robin | 172 comments What do you think about Murray's choice of coach?

message 14: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Not sure.

Liked Lendl, but he wanted to stop coaching.

But saying that Murray has become more aggressive and attacking player which he should be, going for his shots more, this is Mauresmo.

McEnroe would be good for him, maybe Agassi.

message 15: by Robin (new)

Robin | 172 comments Before Mauresmo took the job, there were speculations about McEnroe, so in the future Mc is still a possibility.

message 16: by Sean, Moderator (new)

We will see....

message 17: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Mccall woohoo a sport thread am now officially a very happy bunny - its my favourite subject :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I watch
tennis
ice hockey
rugby (union and league)
formula 1
American football
athletics
ski jumping

I play
field hockey

I have played
volleyball
football (soccer)
netball
tennis
badminton
squash
golf

cant understand
cricket

don't see the point of
snooker
darts

message 18: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Mccall Sean wrote: "Not sure.

Liked Lendl, but he wanted to stop coaching.

But saying that Murray has become more aggressive and attacking player which he should be, going for his shots more, this is Mauresmo.

McEn..."

unfortunately with McEnroe and Agassi there would be the same issues as there was with lendl which is that they don't want to spend a huge amount of time on the tour - although for different reasons - lendl wanted to start playing more while the other two don't want to spend that much time away from family

message 19: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Excellent!! Sharon is happy!!

Now we need to talk sports!!

That's a lot. of different sports, Sharon, have you played since childhood?

message 20: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Mccall pretty much since high school. had a gap of a few years after I left the navy but took it back up again to get out of house and meet folk.

I played a lot of sport in the navy cos it got me out of actual work LOL

message 21: by Freda (new)

Freda Malone | 421 comments I would like to someday take the time to learn how cricket is played. Didn't have the time or inclination to pick up a book on it.

message 22: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Mccall oh I also cycle once did a 4 day cycle challenge and managed over 150 miles :)

message 23: by Aymen (new)

Aymen Ben cheikh Baseball, a player throws a ball, another hit it , then starts running around... no i don t get it.

message 24: by Robin (new)

Robin | 172 comments Anybody catch the women's singles final for the Australian open tennis today? If so what did you think.

message 25: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Mccall robin have to say I didn't I don't particularly like women's tennis mainly because I hate the grunting and the squealing and sharapova is a big culprit of this

message 26: by Dawn (new)

Dawn G | 908 comments I love, love, love professional basketball. I have a favorite team, LA Lakers, but I mostly have favorite players that I follow. I also like professional volleyball. I think baseball is the most boring, uneventful game on the face of the earth.

message 27: by Robin (new)

Robin | 172 comments Sharon wrote: "robin have to say I didn't I don't particularly like women's tennis mainly because I hate the grunting and the squealing and sharapova is a big culprit of this"

It does get rather irritating I have to admit. I'm very much looking forward to the men's final tomorrow. Going back to the grunting, most women happily play with an acceptable level of noise. But Sharapova's shrieking is very distracting. I'm just glad I've never watched her live. Can you imagine the racket an Azarenka and Sharapova match would cause?It would be a screeching match as opposed to a tennis match.

message 28: by Aymen (new)

Aymen Ben cheikh I love football( Soccer) and basketball, i also like watching mma.

message 29: by Dawn (new)

Dawn G | 908 comments Aymen, this may be a stupid question and I will probably slap myself when you answer, but what is mma?

message 30: by Dawn (new)

Dawn G | 908 comments Martial arts???

message 31: by Robin (new)

Robin | 172 comments MMA is mixed martial arts. It's basically when the fighters use a bunch of different martial arts styles such as judo for ground work,or styles from various other martial arts such as karate for striking.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts

message 32: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Mccall I love mma - did some muai thai and kickboxing previously

robin on the thought of azarenka and sharapova that would be a complete nightmare

looking forward to andy and novak in the morning

message 33: by Robin (new)

Robin | 172 comments Sharon wrote: "I love mma - did some muai thai and kickboxing previously

robin on the thought of azarenka and sharapova that would be a complete nightmare

looking forward to andy and novak in the morning"

Kick boxing eh, wouldn't like to get on your wrong side LOL. As for Murray's match I'm gonna have to get up early to watch it. *sigh*

message 34: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Mccall LOL probably forgotten more moves now than I can do

tell me about it!! its a sunday for crying out loud I don't do early

message 35: by Robin (new)

Robin | 172 comments I don't do early any day!! My family and friends can attest to my cranky and irritating mood whenever I get woken up too early. Which admittedly is most days, so they've learnt to simply ignore me after numerous incidents of me biting their heads off!

message 36: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Mccall yeah lol until I have at least two cups of tea no one in my house speaks to me

message 37: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Yes as mentioned I watched The Australian Ladies final, my whole day is planned around The Mens Tennis final tomorrow.

Which I think will be a long 4 or 5 set match.

Murray to win in 5 I think.

I watch every tennis match I can, and wake up at 4.00 AM in the UK to watch tennis for 2 hours before going to work.

I was a tennis coach for eighteen years and have played for the island of Jersey for thirty years, now in the super vets.

I follow and watch tennis throughout the year, and play 2-3 times a week, in between the snooker (that Sharon hates... LOL)

Played against Heather Watson twice in Mixed doubles matches, as she played for Guernsey against our island of Jersey.

These two keep sports keep me busy in between all the house work/gardening cleaning.

So I won't give you a early morning call Sharon, while I am watching the tennis, but as you say it's on quite late 8.30 a.m

Well finished tomorrow, till the next Tournament that starts on Monday !

Love Wimbledon have been 17-18 times.

A boxer for ten years from 11 years old, till 21 years old

message 38: by Robin (new)

Robin | 172 comments Your a sports nut Sean! I'm kind of the same but rather than participating I only watch LOL. I love watching tennis and boxing,snooker not so much! Hopefully Murray's match will be a drawn out contest! Wow can't believe you played againstHeather Watson, love the casual name-dropping mate.

message 39: by Sean, Moderator (new)

LOL

Sadly a great match for three sets !!

Murray went mentally mad !

Concentration went, started getting annoyed and lost 11 out of the next 12 games !!

Frustrating as was playing the best for most of the first 2 and half sets !

message 40: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Mccall he gave up after I stopped watching! unfortunately I had a gym appointment and didn't get to see past the second set.

early ice hockey games which I am hoping are on tv and then the superbowl this evening guess for a change I have to pretend to be a seattle fan

message 41: by Aymen (new)

Aymen Ben cheikh Hey Dawn, you're right Mixed Martial Arts, don t worry i learned about it few years ago.

message 42: by Robin (new)

Robin | 172 comments The first set of the final was some of the most gripping and thrilling set of tennis I've ever seen! A shame it didn't go all the way to five! Hopefully Murray wins a slam this year.

message 43: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 32 comments The only sport I've pursued seriously as an adult was sailing. Sure do miss the water living in Iowa.

Found watching cricket actually helped me enjoy baseball more too - sort of the same way studying a foreign language makes you more aware of features of your own.

message 44: by Robin (new)

Robin | 172 comments Did you enjoy watching cricket?

message 45: by Sean, Moderator (new)

I hate cricket, rugby !

message 46: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Mccall I love rugby - I am a season pass holder for the Scotland international team and cant wait til the six nations starts next weekend

message 47: by Robin (new)

Robin | 172 comments I'm eagerly anticipating the start of the six nations. England haven't got a hope, too many of the key players have some sort of injury. Hopefully these injuries will be sorted out when the world cup starts. @Sean

I'm making it my mission to convert you to watching cricket and rugby!

message 48: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Mccall no one should be made to watch cricket!!!!

message 49: by Paul (new)

Paul  Elias | 17 comments don't like cricket and not a massive rugby fan , sorry but wrong shaped ball lol . I am a swimming teacher / coach , what a technical sport . Get great pleasure teaching it , find it a rewarding job

message 50: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Mccall see paul that's the way I feel about football but to each their own

swimming is good although I am not the strongest swimmer but I used to enjoy it

« previous 1