Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1)
This topic is about Maisie Dobbs
Archive - Group Reads > Masie Dobbs - November 2014i

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chava (new)

Chava | 2788 comments This is the discussion thread for Masie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear. Our moderator is Mary, thanks Mary!

Georgia | 46 comments You all will love Maisie. I have read 8 books in the series and am curious as to your thoughts

Mary Beth  | 379 comments I am really excited for Maisie Dobbs I've heard so many great things about this book. I get my copy tomorrow! I hear that it is a really good series! I am so psyched to read it.

Kathy | -19 comments I'm up to book 4 in this series. I like Maisie Dobbs because she is not overly complicated. She's one of the first women's libbers, strong, insightful, and very professional. However, I would like to see her, at some point, involved in another good relationship with a good man. I stumbled on this series, last winter, while looking for a book to read that would not keep me up at nights. These did the trick for me. It's not that she is uninteresting; quite the contrary, but she is logical and balanced. I also do not have to worry about people in her life plotting against her, which I really enjoyed. Great background/history on WWI in England, and France. The books are not my absolute favorites ever, but they kept me interested, and entertained.

message 5: by Suzy (last edited Nov 04, 2014 10:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) I was so excited to see that Maisie Dobbs was selected as an alternative for November. This is a favorite series of mine, so comforting to read in an era where many mysteries are disturbing. Not that I don't enjoy gritty and gruesome, but I often return to Maisie after reading a particularly grim book. Like I did recently after reading Birdman. I just this morning finished #9 in the Maisie Dobbs series Elegy for Eddie.

These are not heart-stopping page-turners, but Maisie is like an old friend who lives at a distance that I want to keep in touch with. I might also add that the cover illustrations by Andrew Davidson on these books are beautiful. I tend to listen to a lot of books, but I always read Maisie in print because of this.

message 6: by Leslie (last edited Nov 05, 2014 04:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leslie (lesmorecats) | 72 comments Suzy wrote: "I was so excited to see that Maisie Dobbs was selected as an alternative for November. This is a favorite series of mine, so comforting to read in an era where many mysteries are disturbing."

Ditto and ditto and ditto. I've learned so much history of my parents' era from this series (born 1912 and 1916). I've even worried about how she'll get through WWII, but of course she'll do very well.

I wonder a bit about her inter-class associations. I very much doubt her upper class friends would be so completely welcoming. to help her along, of course, but entering the family? Rather like in America we "love our Black friends, BUT..." in too many cases.

Mary Beth  | 379 comments Maisie hangs a brass plate in her door M. Donna Trade and Personal Investigations. She soon then becomes engrossed in a mystery surrounding The Retreat, a reclusive community of wounded WW1 veterans. At first Maisie only expects foul play, but she must act quickly when Lady Rowan's son decides to sign away his fortune and takes refuge there. Maisie hurries and investigates, uncovering a disturbing mystery, she gets some courage to confront a ghost that has haunted her for years.

Mary Beth  | 379 comments I love the background of London and the vivid descriptions of the war. I also enjoy the mystery!

Suzanne | 29 comments I had never heard of this book, but it sounds interested and so far it is! I like learning about the era too, and I'm enjoying it so far!

Pamela Mclaren | 185 comments Kathy wrote: "I'm up to book 4 in this series. I like Maisie Dobbs because she is not overly complicated. She's one of the first women's libbers, strong, insightful, and very professional. However, I would li..."

I quite agree. I've read three and the very first one was my favorite of the series to date. I also like this because of the time period. You can't say enough about the fact that Maisie is a young woman who becomes an investigator during a period when women were just coming into their own (fighting ended in 1918, Treaty of Versailles was signed in June 1919, American women got the vote in February 1919 but in Great Britain, it was not until 1928 when all women over the age of 21 could vote) but no where near where we are today.

So its quite interesting that Maisie serves as a nurse but switches to private investigation after the war, and makes a go of it on her own. Women have served as investigators previously ( I believe there were a couple in the Pinkerton operation) abut I doubt that they were sole operators.

Mary Beth  | 379 comments I like how the author has structured the book; Three sections, with the middle section veering back into Maisie's past, while the first and third section revolves around the present day mystery.

message 12: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) I like how this series portrays the dramatic societal changes taking place in Great Britain its microcosm of London and environs, the cast of characters and the mysteries. It tickles me that people are wary of using something like a telephone (the dog and bone)!

Mary Beth  | 379 comments I really liked this book, how does every one else feel so far?

Mary Beth  | 379 comments What is your response to the ending of the novel, particularly the last meeting between Maisie and Simon? Is Maisie more focused on her suffering or Simon's. Is her focus where it ought to be? Does the scene resolve the tensions of the story or heighten them?

Suzanne | 29 comments I really enjoyed this book too. The last part surprised me a bit. (view spoiler) Good book!

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 9 comments I read this a while back and I loved it. It helps that it is set in one of my favorite times to read about.

But I also really liked the character and the storyline.

I also really like Charles Todd's Bess Crawford series.

Mary Beth  | 379 comments This series seems to have a lot of similarities to this book. I added it, I love to get a new author that has a great series. Especially when it's similar to this series.

Mary Beth  | 379 comments Suzanne, the ending surprised me too.

message 19: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) I can't remember the exact ending of this book, but Maisie Dobbs sets the foundation for the entire series, which I recommend be read in order. Maisie continues to grow in her profession and relationships. I like this time period too - have learned a lot from this series!

Mary Beth  | 379 comments Suzy I loved reading the history of this era also. It's fun reading a series that actually gives you knowledge! I am really interested in reading the rest of the series, I love the characters and want to get to know them even better than I do now.

message 21: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) Mary wrote: "Suzy I loved reading the history of this era also. It's fun reading a series that actually gives you knowledge! I am really interested in reading the rest of the series, I love the characters and w..."

Mary, I look forward to comparing notes about the other books in the series.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) I have read about 3 books in the Maisie Dobbs series and love them. The characters are wonderful and I like the realistic views on how soldiers and nurses are trying to survive post-WWI.

Mary Beth  | 379 comments Suzy, that's a good idea! I think it would be fun comparing notes of each book in the series. I will keep you posted.

Mary Beth  | 379 comments Kris, I loved the flashback! I felt the back and forth in the beginning was a little confusing. But it did come together after the big flashback to her life during the war. I do think the inter-war period is fascinating as well.

message 25: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt Hughes | 65 comments Just finished book one of this series. I am starting the second right away, as this is good stuff! Alternative to gruesome serial carnage that I have seemed to have been gorging on lately. Maisie is a treasure, as are the other characters. They already seem like friends.

message 26: by Suzy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) Matt wrote: "Just finished book one of this series. I am starting the second right away, as this is good stuff! Alternative to gruesome serial carnage that I have seemed to have been gorging on lately. Maisie i..."

Matt, I was just going to post that I hadn't noticed any men commenting on Maisie Dobbs. My husband loves the series as much as I do, and we read them at the same time and discuss. I agree with you about being a great contrast to the grim/gruesome crime novels so prevalent today. I often find myself turning to a Maisie after reading something difficult, like I did with the 9th Maisie after Birdman!

Mary Beth  | 379 comments One thing that I did like about the book is that I am not up all night reading it. It kept my interest, but I wasn't dying in suspense making me tired the next day. The mystery though was good.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Birdman (other topics)
Elegy for Eddie (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Charles Todd (other topics)