The Slow Regard of Silent Things (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2.5) The Slow Regard of Silent Things discussion

Auri Grinned

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Auri sure grins a lot.

grin grin grin grin grin. would be nice if she could show her pleasure in some other way than grin

grin

grin

grinnnnn ack.

message 2: by K (new) - rated it 5 stars

K I think there is a point in the repetition.

Gandalfgrijs I didn't notice she grinned that much.

message 4: by Kim (last edited Oct 31, 2014 02:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I noticed the grinning too since I'm kinda pattern-sensitive. She also giggles, laughs and hums. I think the humming might've only happened once, but I've only just finished read #1.

I agree with Kelila; I think all of the repetition is a part of the point, maybe even the emotes. Auri is all about safe, and repetition can create that appearance.

Even the deviations from the patterns had an impact to me on the first read.

She washed her face and hands and feet.

She washed her face. She washed her hands and feet.

The deviation and return were a brilliant, subtle bellwether of her level of anxiety... at least that's how I internalized it.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Tolkien, Lucas, and JK Rowling never had to tell people that they had to be especially broken or "special snowflake" people to like their stories/books. It's baffling he's categorizing his fans like this as if to create a sense of insecurity in us about honestly critiquing the shortcomings of the story. It's like there's an attempt being made at creating a demographic of fan he feels comfortable with reading his book. The Demographic is epic fantasy and he well knows it.

It is my belief that an epic fantasy Author who apologizes for his work knows deep down inside there is a voice called his conscience he is not listening to ......That voice or instinct is the part of himself that once had a taste for what he was doing. The part of him that knew he was making a huge mistake releasing this book.

Don't get me wrong........a very good attempt at making a silk purse out of a sow's ear was made here, but no matter how poetic, it's still a sow's ear.

Even with the apology and excuses I would diplomatically suggest.....

When you claim to have written a 3 book series of epic fantasy and you have released 2 of those books, you have set up the expectations of your epic fantasy fans yourself for book 3. It comes off especially pretentious to explain away that expectation by writing in comments by friends who defend the letdown of that expectation in the last chapter of the disappointing book, itself.

I've never heard of any author doing this so there is no precedent.

But say somehow you didn't think "The Slow Regard of Silent things" had anything to do with book 3 prior to reading it....

A decent human being would know his fans were buying his book because they liked the previous works. Heck, I would have been satisfied simply getting some good background story about Auri and some insight into the part she is playing in the KKC. Or, just something about why she ended up where she did......Was she the Princess rescued from the Barrow King? A Fae? But, that wasn't the case....I still don't have a clue about those aspects of her character. I paid 10 bucks andI got her finding things and making soap and I really know nothing more about her character than I did previously. Nothing.

The only justice I perceive for this gross disrespect of my time and money is the entertainment value I get from calling out what I believe to be a hack author.

And............I was a fan. I told people who got me into fantasy and sci fi, ......."hey you should check this Rothfuss guy out." I compared him to the best. I believe the utter deflation here will be legend amongst a certain group of fantasy fans.

Maybe not the "specials".

But according to Amazon, 1 of every 3 people who were big enough fans to buy the book in the first few days are willing to be ostracized as un-special and accept the ridicule of their un-specialness. 1 out of every 3. It's only a matter of time before a certain percentage of the specials, after introspection, admit they feel duped and reveal they simply wanted to be included in the Author's special snowflake group fan club.

Ultimately, absolutely everyone will know they are duped in a few years....when book 3 never comes to fruition, or it reveals itself to be another lazy poetic brain fart.

The ultimate proof of my estimation. I think we all see it coming.

Perhaps P. Rothfuss will be headlining a spoken word poetry marathon in San Fran begging for pennies at that point.

message 6: by Sara (last edited Nov 01, 2014 07:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sara Kim wrote: "I noticed the grinning too since I'm kinda pattern-sensitive. She also giggles, laughs and hums. I think the humming might've only happened once, but I've only just finished read #1.

I agree with ..."

I also think the repetition is deliberate. Both because I have read Rothfuss' write about this editing process and he is very aware of those sorts of things in his writing, and also because a smile is different in feeling than a grin. A grin has a more aggressive suggestion than a smile. Its wilder, more guttural. To me, you grin when its a free bounding expression of your emotion, often too freely expressed, you smile when its a choice, in context and appropriately. Its more Auri to grin.

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 01, 2014 02:04PM) (new)

It's far less work on the mind to come up with "she grinned".....

than it is to come up with an actual story. Go ahead, try it, seriously. It like takes no mental energy at all and if people will pay 10 bucks just the same, its a great idea.

I think we all want to make our jobs easier and P. Rothfuss did just that. When you were reading the Harry Potter series by JK Rowling were you forced to sit back and ponder the facial dynamics of Hagrid?

I remember in the "making of" Star Wars they showed us how much work they had to put into the expressions they made on CG Yoda, but they knew they shouldn't make that into a narrative movie, itself. It was given away for free as a DVD option for people who were interested in how the movie was made.

Think about it. This is absurd. We are actually asking, "Was Auri a mental defected grinner?" .........

Is it more appropriate for the mentally challenged to grin slightly, intently, or sternly?

is what we are left with after reading "The Slow Regard of Silent Things". It's actually quite funny when you think about it,

Maybe we should have a whole book on Denna's dressing style?
Elodin's shoe wearing habits?
The Chronicler's favorite fonts?

I will admit, J.R.R. Tolkien did have a lot of extra semi-boring stuff that came out long after his epic series had become epic. But it was mostly released after he was dead and everyone was happy just to get his notes at that point.

This kind of release right now ..........instead of the promised book 3........ in P. Rothfuss' series and career only serves to antagonize the expectant fan.......and lower the sales on Book 3.

idcboobs "Hey pat, you know you've been pushing back book three for years now, get this, what if instead of book 3, you sold everyone a short little novel about a character with an already developed personality? It would take you like a week to write and with your amount of fans you could make a ton of money in time for christmas. Best part? You can take a character that has a past surrounded in mystery and is a obviously a major plot character, someone seen in almost every theory about the books AND WE MAKE HER A NORMAL GIRL WITH A QUIRKY MENTAL ILLNESS"

John Vasilakis Don't forget about her feet. The girl needs some shoes if she feels the need to wash her feet every other paragraph. My God was this book dull, a complete waste of time.