The Reading Challenge Group discussion

A Quest for Answers > Question 41 - Reading Snacks

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
Do you snack while you read? What are some of your favourite reading-time foods/beverages?

message 2: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
Iasa wrote: "Sometimes I think it would be nice to snuggle up with a hot toddy and a fire with the snow outside and read away the night, but then I remember I've spent my whole life in the southern US and the Caribbean, I get cold at 50°"

Aw, you're missing out, Iasa! Nothing's better than a hot drink, a blanket, and a good book. :)

Although the hammock and juice thing would be a very close second. ;)

message 3: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne | 1224 comments OMG all the time! This is so funny because my daughter was reading my copy of The Wizard of Oz that I had when I was a kid and she was giving me a hard time because popcorn crumbs were falling out of the book. The crumbs are over 30 years old!

I read when I drink my coffee, I have snacks and I even have whole meals while I read.

message 4: by A (new)

A H What's better than chocolates? ^.^
And if it's a rainy day, nothing can be better then a cup of hot coffee....:))

message 5: by Cristal (new)

Cristal Punnett Biscuits and tea yum

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Coyle | 1557 comments Lol, Iasa, too funny! I think I like the image of reading on the beach, but I've lived in the northern climate all my life and fall apart over 80 degrees.

As for food and drinks, all depends on my mood and the type of book. I can eat cookies, pop corn, ice cream, chips, drink tea or nothing at all. Sometimes my mood and of the book and with the combination of the two will bring on the munchies.

Iasa, sometime we will have to have a drink together, you can have a hot toddy and I'll have a Pina Colada.

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather | 97 comments This time of year I often make a cup of tea before sitting down to read, but my problem is I get so engrossed in my book that it ends up sitting there going cold! oh well... off to put the kettle on again!

message 8: by Mayme (new)

Mayme (theladymaym) | 104 comments i can't tell you how many t-shirts/blouses/tops a month i spoil whilst using an improper food-shovelling-whilst-book-reading technique. (the important thing is that I almost never get it on the book?)

message 9: by Faye, The Dickens Junkie (new)

Faye | 1415 comments Mod
Mayme wrote: "i can't tell you how many t-shirts/blouses/tops a month i spoil whilst using an improper food-shovelling-whilst-book-reading technique. (the important thing is that I almost never get it on the book?)"

I so relate to that...

message 10: by dely (new)

dely I never eat while reading, I wouldn't be able to manage to hold the book with one hand and eat with the other; and while turning the page I could soil it. I also wouldn't be able to concentrate on the reading if I have something to chew or must reach out to take cookies, chips or something else. When I read I like to be absorbed by the book and don't want to be distracted by anything. Sometimes I drink a cup of tea, above all during the winter but not always.

message 11: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 916 comments I don't usually snack while reading, but more because I'm picky about where food gets eaten in this house:

1 - No food on the couch/chaise (they're fairly new)
2 - No food in the bedroom (because I find that gross and dont want crumbs in the bed)

Oh, and I guess the metro has a "no food" rule too... if people listened to that.

Those rules take food out of my primary reading places, so unless I'm sitting on the floor or at the dining table, I usually am not eating while I read. And if I am sitting in those places, it's usually reading paired with popcorn.

message 12: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne | 1224 comments I read a lot at my kitchen table so there is no issue with their being food in places food is not suppose to be.

message 13: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (bd200789) Yes, but only if the book is mine, and is one I bought used. I would never eat while read a new book, or one that belonged to someone else.

message 14: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4727 comments Mod
No. Which I had to really think about, since I live by the motto, "Reading makes Everything Better." I will quaff a beverage on occasion. But, since my favored reading position is supine, that can get kinda messy.

I suspect it's a lack-of-dexterity thing, because I'll watch a video while eating. Or listen to an audio book. When I was younger, I'd read while walking, but there were a few near death close calls so I had to stop doing that. Yep. Definitely a lack-of-dexterity thing.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael (micky74007) a cup of tea, perhaps some cookies or something I can eat with my hands. don't want to be messing around with a fork or spoon.

message 16: by Raquel (new)

Raquel Romero (raqueljeannie) | 35 comments Yes. I'll eat my chips and just drink my soda, water, or coffee.
I'll actually eat whatever while I'm reading just as long as I don't get it on my book.

I like to drink wine or beer while I'm reading too if I'm staying in for the night.

message 17: by Happy (new)

Happy (worldhasteeth) I usually read in the bath, so no eating there. In bed, often, because my husband has it firmly fixed in his psyche that food = love, so he is always bringing me bits of dinner as he's preparing it, tea and biscuits, fresh hot bread, etc. I'm pretty dexterous at keeping it off the Kindle.

message 18: by Karolyn (new)

Karolyn | 112 comments I'll often have tea or coffee. And in the evening, wine. Wine makes everything better.

message 19: by Emma (new)

Emma | 3 comments Chocolate biscuits and a cup of tea for me

message 20: by Brandilyn (new)

Brandilyn | 11 comments I now do my pleasure reading on an electronic device, and I like to keep the touch screen clean - so snacking is impractical :-) I do, however, enjoy a cup of coffee, a latte, cappuccino, or hot tea while I read!

message 21: by Noam (new)

Noam | 13 comments hot tea and walker's shortbread yum

message 22: by James (last edited Jan 18, 2015 09:02AM) (new)

James (jimmyconnors) coffee. I do not eat while reading (if I can avoid it)

message 23: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 17 comments I drink peppermint tea during freezing temperatures!

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) Hot tea with chocolate
Cubes of cheese
Potato Chips

message 25: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Oh, if I'm by myself I will eat lunches and dinners while reading :-) I know there's a far chance I will spoil the book (but I'm very careful), but I just can't eat all alone without the company of a good book.

message 26: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Pickstone | 563 comments Late evening - cheese and crackers is the most likely thing - and an orange. Once in a blue moon I may even have a square of chocolate - but I don't have much of a sweet tooth.

message 27: by Clare (last edited Jan 16, 2016 03:47PM) (new)

Clare (-clare-) | 98 comments I like to munch on crisps when i'm reading. Pringles seem to just disappear in minutes :\

message 28: by PinkieFairy (new)

PinkieFairy (pinkifairy) I don't really eat anything while I read however when I curl up on my couch/bed to do a 'long haul' reading I Will do it with a cup of tea.

message 29: by Colleen (last edited Nov 10, 2015 04:52PM) (new)

Colleen Lunchtime at work - always nice to read & take a break. :)get some extra pages in.

message 30: by Brandilyn (new)

Brandilyn | 11 comments Lately my reading snack has been hot tea because it is chilly!

message 31: by Clare (new)

Clare  (clarebears) | 275 comments I don't really eat when i am reading but i do like a cigarette.

message 32: by Agnik (new)

Agnik | 52 comments I never eat but sometimes I have a drink- tea, juice or simply water.