Survey of Literature Pd. 9 discussion

2nd Marking Period Questions > Reading Response #7- due 10/31

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms. (new)

Ms. Gentekos (tgentekoskhs) | 10 comments Small details helps to add interest to your writing and makes your writing easier to understand.

Select a passage where your author uses small details. Explain the effect small details has on the passage (Hint:images in your mind or easier to understand)

You must include:

- Link to the cover of your book
- A quote or passage of at least 20 words
- Explanation of the quote

message 2: by Jordanp56 (last edited Nov 05, 2014 09:04AM) (new)

Jordanp56 | 9 comments Monster Monster by Walter Dean Myers by Walter Dean Myers. "He moves in slow motion. he is pale, glancing nervously at a point out of sight of camera" (67). The person he is talking about is nervous to talk at the stand and you can tell because the author is saying that he is pale like scared and he is trying to hide from the camera and is looking nervous.

message 3: by Cristianl12 (new)

Cristianl12 | 7 comments El Diego: The Autobiography of the World's Greatest Footballer

'' i think i could have played in the world cup i was up for it i was readier than i had ever been'' i think that it shows that he is really posited and ready.

message 4: by Odalyss (last edited Oct 29, 2014 11:20AM) (new)

Odalyss | 4 comments Heaven Changes Everything: Living Every Day with Eternity in Mind

"If you need a friend, start praying, and watch for God to bring someone into your life who can be that friend you need. Then you be the friend she needs as well."page.55
This quote is saying that when ever one of your friends is feeling down and all to be there for them to be with them and to give them some advice if they need it just as they would do to you if your feeling down one day.

message 5: by Breannah (new)

Breannah | 9 comments Cracked "oh god there he is the animal that tryed to kill me"page 75. i picked this quote because victor is calling bull a animal because bull tryed to kill him at lunch and tryed to hurt his mom and victor saw bull when he was in the car with his mom and he said mom theres the animal that tryed to kill me.

message 6: by Antonio (new)

Antonio M | 7 comments Street Pharm Once, when I was nine, I went with him to a run-down apartment building in East Flatbush. It was a cold night in January, and I tried to keep my Jordans out of the slush as I got out of the car and followed him up the sidewalk. He is trying not to get his J's wet or dirty.

message 7: by Natalia (last edited Nov 05, 2014 08:18AM) (new)

Natalia A | 10 comments True believer by Virginia Euwer Wolff
"I got an apple from the fridge and took it up to my room, passing by the picture on the wall of Jody and me dancing,and blowing a private kiss like somebody in a movie. Nobody is watching. I can blow a kiss to anybody I want. I sat on my bed and ate the apple. I gave myself five minutes before starting my homework piled in my backpack. I laid on my bed and I looked up at the birds' nest among the branches."(116). This shows what LaVaughn does as she is going to her room and what she is doing in her room. This is helping me create an image in my mind of what she is doing.

message 8: by Moises (new)

Moises Almanza | 9 comments Goal 2 living the dream

The BMW drew to the halt in the wide driveway of the new house and santiago switched off the engine and stepped from the vehicle. this shows that santiago has a lot of money because he has a BMW and BMW's are really expensive.

message 9: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro | 9 comments The Hunger Games
''Then i just lie curled up on the bed, stroking the silken sheets,watching the sun set over the artificial candy capitol'' This shows lots of details because it gives alot of meaning to it curled up touching the bed sheets looking at the sun set over the city.

message 10: by Luis (last edited Nov 05, 2014 07:01AM) (new)

Luis F | 10 comments Homeboyz
"The school bell rang, sending thousands of middle-school kids pouring out through the doors of their classrooms. Across the yard, through a crowd of students, Teddy spotted Micah". This is showing the end of the day at Micah's school, and Teddy is looking for Micah in the midst of all the other kids. I think Teddy might want to talk to him about something.

message 11: by Ana (last edited Nov 05, 2014 07:04AM) (new)

Ana Corona | 10 comments Clockwork Princess
Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare
"She had been warned the boy coming to the Institute from Shanghai was not well, but she had still been startled when he had stepped from the carriage, pale and swaying like a reed in the wind, his curling dark hair streaked with silver as if he were a man in his eighties, not a boy of twelve" (6). This illustrates how sickly Jem is, and helps the reader to have a better understanding and to create an image about how bad he looks.

message 12: by David (new)

David Carbajal | 10 comments Response by Paul Volponi By Paul Volpon " He'd seen his uncle hot-wire his aunts car after she lost the keys, and said it was too easy" this shows that his family has a history of stealing things if he can hot-wire a car

message 13: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Almanza | 10 comments Sunrise Over Fallujah''you know,the iraqis are talking about how they let the UN inspectors in how their people are suffering from the sanctions.''This shows that robin wants to know more about who his uncle is and why he is joining the army plus its showing that he is a part of the army and is important.

message 14: by Luis (last edited Jan 21, 2015 05:49AM) (new)

Luis  sanchez | 10 comments Beautiful Redemption
"can't eat or drink over there, back in the mortal realm but you can move things"(37) this quote explains that death people cant eat or drink but they can move things in the mortal world that is awesome

message 15: by Daniela (new)

Daniela S | 8 comments Incantation

"something's always about to happen, I said. This will be different. it will start with one sorrow and then build into a thousand. there will be so many sorrows, they will be like the stars in the sky." page 97-98 I choose this because people have alot of things going on and they build up intill you dont even know what to do anymore.

message 16: by Cristina (new)

Cristina Avellaneda | 6 comments Silence " for the entire fifteen-minute walk, Cole's hand was wound firmly around mine. I didn't want to let go. I felt safe." page 21. i chose this passage because i got an idea of cole and oakley's friendship. they are really close and she feels safe around and she doesn't feel that way with anybody else so far in the book. maybe she will speak up to cole since it seems like she can trust him with anything .

message 17: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Navarro | 10 comments Everybody Sees the Ants
Book: Everybody Sees the Ants
Author: A. S. King
Quotation: "Here, son," someone said in a hushed and husked voice. I looked up, and there was a skinny man with a bushy gray beard holding his hands out of me. -Page 27.
In this part the grandfather is talking with Lucky, and the author describe the voice and how the man looks with small details, like the gray pajama...

message 18: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (ChungLee) | 8 comments The Reptile Room "The room, as violet suspected, was a dirty mess. The bed was unmade and had cracker crumbs and bits of hair all over it. discarded newspapers and mail-order catalogs lay on the floor in untidy piles. on top of the dresser was a small assortment of half- empty wine bottles." page 115. in this moment violet is having trouble looking for evidence that Count Olaf is devising a plan of some sort to get the Baudelaire Fortune.