Start by marking “Everybody Sees the Ants” as Want to Read:
Everybody Sees the Ants

Everybody Sees the Ants

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  10,493 Ratings  ·  1,845 Reviews
Lucky Linderman didn't ask for his life. He didn't ask his grandfather not to come home from the Vietnam War. He didn't ask for a father who never got over it. He didn't ask for a mother who keeps pretending their dysfunctional family is fine. And he didn't ask to be the target of Nader McMillan's relentless bullying, which has finally gone too far.

But Lucky has a secret--
Published October 3rd 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Everybody Sees the Ants, please sign up.

Stella Selznick I think it's that everyone else, in public or with other people, does something or is something and actually is, or does it. (Instead of doing foe the…moreI think it's that everyone else, in public or with other people, does something or is something and actually is, or does it. (Instead of doing foe the sake of the other people.) But Lucky is the opposite in that he pretends to be someone, but is someone else inside.

Like in a shampoo commercial where someone says they use this shampoo and in actuality some of them don't do what they do for the public eye.

I don't know if thats what Michael Wu was trying to say or not, but this is how I see it.(less)

Ariel
Oct 23, 2012 Ariel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I am not exaggerating or being dramatic when I say that this is now one of my favourite books.

It was so unbelievably poignant, and I have not loved the main character so much in a really long time.

I want everyone to read this book.
Emily May
Oct 01, 2011 Emily May rated it really liked it

A.S. King: "Everybody Sees the Ants originated from an idea that we are all prisoners. An idea that bullying is a widely ignored form of torture. An idea that only we can choose to escape from our own prisons. An idea that no one can take something from us if we don't give it."

This is a very powerful novel. It is a story for everyone because it's true that everyone has to had to face some form of shit in their lives in one way or another. Every day all over the world people are being hurt, sexu
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)
May 24, 2015 Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) rated it really liked it
Recommended to Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE) by: Wayne Barrett

Of course we are. You are. They are. Now what are we doing to change that, tell me?

Let's clear the air right away : Each and every one of the characters is complex and believable, from the teenagers to the adults in their lives. As it is, they're flawed. They're realistic. Once again I have to say that in my book that's the most important in a contemporary. I don't care about perfect people, otherwise I would read old fairytales, you know, those where the girl is waiting for her perfect guy to
Lola  Reviewer
3.5 stars.

‘‘Everybody Sees the Ants’’ deals with the subject of bullying in quite a thorough way.

Ever since he was a little boy, Lucky Linderman has been terrorised by Nader McMillan, who seems to have made it his life-goal to bring Lucky down, down, down to the ground.

After the school faculty expresses concerns about Lucky, since he asked his classmates how they would commit suicide, if they wanted to commit suicide, for a school project, everybody thinks Lucky is at risk of hurting himself.

Bu
Lora
Jan 30, 2012 Lora rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of YA realistic fiction told from a male's POV; Maja
Recommended to Lora by: Emily May
I'm so, so glad I decided to give King another try despite my mixed feelings over her Printz Honor, Please Ignore Vera Dietz. Everybody Sees the Ants is an astonishingly wonderful gift to young-adult literature, one that I feel extremely fortunate to have read.

Since the age of seven, Lucky Linderman has been having dreams in which he visits his grandfather in the prison camp where he's resided since being listed as MIA in the Vietnam War back in 1972. When his grandmother died, she asked Luck
Crowinator
Actual rating: Is it lame to say 4.5 stars?

So this review is long, inadequate, and perhaps a bit rambling and confusing. It doesn't really have plot spoilers (this is a quiet book where not a lot happens, action-wise), but it does have thematic spoilers, so read at your own peril. It's always harder to write about the books that really mean something to me, as opposed to the books I merely like a whole lot, and I can't do it without that. If you want to avoid even the thematic spoilers, just re
Catie
May 29, 2011 Catie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Catie by: Crowinator
So much of growing up is just strung together moments of disillusionment, isn’t it? As a parent, I want to shelter my children from as much as possible, but as a former child, I have to say that I wish that I had learned certain things a bit sooner. For example, I think that if there were some sort of instruction manual issued at birth, item one, paragraph one would read:

1. On Parents

i. The adults in your life may think that they know everything, but in reality, they are just people. And the gen
Spencer
Jun 17, 2014 Spencer rated it really liked it

“Everybody sees the ants?"
He looks at me and says, "Well, how many people do you think live perfect lives, son? Aren't we all victims of something at some time or another?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is my first novel I've read by A.S. King, and I can say with full confidence that this won't be my last. Everybody Sees the Ants is a coming of age-novel that is insanely cool, insanely funny, sad at times, and insane in all the best ways.

1) The Plot

Lucky, our main character, lives in Pennsylv
Sarah Churchill
I had heard a lot of hype about the book, but didn't really know what it was about beyond what a vague synopsis. So I went in fairly blind, which is how I like it, and I am now a BIG fan of this book.

It felt easy to read and follow, but at the same time almost every supporting character had their own story, so it's a woven web of philosophy and psychology. In the main this is a book about a boy (ironically called 'Lucky') who is tormented by a vile bully and haunted by the 'memory' of a grandfat
Raeleen Lemay
May 22, 2012 Raeleen Lemay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
FREAKING AMAZING, YOU GUYS. I might actually do a book review/discussion on this.... we'll see.
Lala BooksandLala
Sep 12, 2015 Lala BooksandLala rated it it was amazing
Shelves: magical-realism
4.5 out of 5. I don't think I can even express the way this book moved me.
Feb 02, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it

A.S. King has been popping up on my reading radar and to-read lists for a long time. I can’t believe I waited this long to hear her voice! Everybody Sees the Ants is a story with tough subjects, but one told with humor, imagination, and honesty. A voice, style and lesson I will never forget. A young man I will never forget.

Lucky Linderman is just trying to survive the battle of the high school halls. But a bully targeted him years before filling his days with fear and dread. Told in cuts and fla
Vitor Martins
"The world is full of assholes. What are you doing to make sure you're not one of them?"

Mais uma vez a A.S. King pegou um tema que pode ser encontrado em um monte de outros livros YA (nesse caso, o bullying) e contou uma história incrível sob uma perspectiva super diferente!

O que eu mais gostei em Everybody Sees the Ants foi o relacionamento do Lucky com a família (principalmente com a mãe). Geralmente a literatura YA aborda muito relacionamenos românticos e a família acaba ficando como plano de
Barry Pierce
My first foray in YA in two and a half years. And I enjoyed it! I read this on personal recommendation from Ariel Bissett so thank you dearie! I enjoyed the plot, the characters, and it's written in very simple/basic prose. There were some points at which it kept reminding me that it was a YA novel (instant romances for instance) but they weren't so common to put me off. This is a nice, light, and very quick read. Am I a YA convert? No of course not calm down. But I might venture into the genre ...more
Eric Novello
Feels. "O mundo está cheio de babacas. O que você está fazendo para ter certeza de que não é um deles?"
Em 2016 descobri A.S. King. Me pediram para traduzir "Glory O'Brien's History of the Future", que é um dos livros mais interessantes que eu já li dentro de Y.A. Então eu estava com expectativa alta para "Todo Mundo Vê Formigas".

Esse livro trata de vários assuntos, mas um deles é central para a personalidade do protagonista, um menino chamado Lucky que não se sente nem um pouco sortudo. Lucky
Muhammad Ahmed Siddiqui
5 SURPRISING STARS

This book started as a casual read for humor and it suddenly changed into a completely different experience.
It was there on my to-read shelf for so long and I regret that I delayed reading it and you guys should not delay.

A quote from the book on how we can tackle our problems:

“The simplest answer is to act.”

This book deals with topics like:

- Bullying
- Abuse
- Impact on the family of dead soldiers after war

The topics of this book are difficult to discuss for any author but
Mickie
Oct 07, 2011 Mickie rated it it was amazing
***EDIT***
This is how much I love this book. I read it and immediately sat it on my 16yr old son's bed. In our house this means: Read this, you'll like it. He said... "ehhhh...I would read that IF you made me a paper craft of My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic character, Rainbow Dash." Oh, did he think that was clever. I spent two hours cutting tiny rainbow pony legs out and trying to convince a glue stick that it should do my bidding. But I made the damn horse and he is reading the damn book.
Wayne Barrett
Wow! I liked this book so much that I am immediately going to browse A,S. King's other books and pick more to read. For me, this was reminiscent of Donna Tart's 'Goldfinch' but without the 300 pages of dead space.
"The world is full of assholes. What are you going to do to make sure you are not one of them?"
This story, surrounding a young man names Lucky, is a tale of bullying...but so much more. I read this from beginning to end in a 24 hour span and closed the last page with glassy eyes.
I ima
Jacob McCabe
May 22, 2012 Jacob McCabe rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book for many reasons. I'm a fan of the main character, Lucky, and his struggles. The book heavily focuses on bullying in a relatively realistic way, which is often disconcerting, because books/movies usually portray bullying in an exaggerated way. A.S. King made me feel like I was Lucky, and boy, do I know some Naders in my life.

My main problem with the book, which is the reason I docked a star, is because I felt disconnected from both the writing and the direction of the story.
mich

I've only read one other book by King - Please Ignore Vera Dietz - and it was a very similar experience for me as this one. Both stories contained an odd mixture of humor, extremely fucked up shit, and a weird surreal strangeness that, for me, just works.

Martitara
3.5
Tiene un ritmo algo fragmentado, y un puntito de realismo mágico del que creo que no he terminado de entender todo el significado. Pero tiene un protagonista muy bien definido, y aunque creo que ganaría si también se diera voz a otros personajes, lo cierto es que todos adquieren profundidad gracias al reflejo de su relación con Lucky.
Creo que dentro del realismo de una mala situación, consigue dar un mensaje optimista.
Ellen Hopkins
Sep 06, 2012 Ellen Hopkins rated it it was amazing
Deserving of its many honors. Amy King is a writers' writer.
Cassi aka Snow White Haggard

I always appreciate books that contain intelligent discussion about depression. So often that conversation is trite, trivial and about how you can fix your life if you just do a, b, and c. Then it's always the goth or the emo kid who's depressed, never the smart or pretty people. Depression doesn't happen to them!

Except that it can happen to anyone.

Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King doesn't talk down to people struggling with depression or bullying. It takes more of a conversational tone. This
Aaron Vincent
Jun 21, 2012 Aaron Vincent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Aaron Vincent by: Patrick
When I was challenged to finish a YA novel in basically 24 hours, I selected A.S. King's Everybody Sees The Ants. Seeing its page count at 280 pages, I thought it will be quick and easy but because the universe loves to kick you in the nuts with irony, it turned out to be the opposite. It's a very difficult book to read and even harder to write a review about. It hit a little too close to home.

Everybody Sees The Ants is about a boy named Lucky who is dealing with some not particularly fortunate
Suad Shamma
Nov 23, 2012 Suad Shamma rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, 2012
I first bought Everybody Sees the Ants because it had such great reviews and an even better synopsis.

A boy that retreats into his dreams to escape reality, and finds himself in war-ridden jungles? A place where he can be anyone he wants to be, a better version of himself even? A place where it becomes so easy to submerge yourself into, rather than live your life? How awesome does that sound? I thought for sure this book is going to be worth the read.

Sadly, it wasn't.

Yes, as many reviewers have s
Andrewfink
Sep 17, 2013 Andrewfink rated it really liked it
I can barely sit still I'm so excited to see wether Lucky will save his Grandpa from the jungles; even save himself from the wrath of Nader McMillan. I feel very close to Lucky, as if he's my best friend and has been for many years. I can't stand his aunt. The book has had awesome character development.

After reading the book review:
Oh sigh. Tears are streaming down my face. After reading halfway through the book I thought it was good, I couldn't wait too see what would happen to Lucky. I was mo
Masooma
Jul 15, 2015 Masooma rated it liked it
Recommended to Masooma by: Jawad Khan
Everybody Can See The Ants is a brilliant read. It is intriguing and captivating. For me, the novel was a recommendation thoroughly enjoyed.

The writing is incredible. From the first page onwards, it engaged me straight into the story. For a very heavy subject matter, A S King chose the lightest style and the finest words to deliver it. Just when I was thinking that the tragedy wasn't big enough, he unveiled the biggest deal, in a simple way which left me totally surprised.

Lucky Linderman is the
Isamlq
Dec 02, 2011 Isamlq rated it really liked it
A.S. King has a knack for writing Quirky Characters. His mom, his dad, the bully, his grandfather, Uncle Dave and, Aunt Jodi and Lucky in particular: all are very different from what I am used to.

Squids and Turtles… I love how the boy thinks. How he’s put the people in his life in certain boxes and thinks of them that way and yet all at once he’s is completely right about what he thinks and funny, if veering a little toward the oversimplified. His parents: they not be perfect. It was incredibly
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
A social studies assignment of creating a survey question and evaluating the data has Lucky excited for the easy A he’s sure to receive. His question: “If you were going to commit suicide, what method would you choose?” is viewed quite differently by the school administration. They want Lucky evaluated to make sure he isn’t a danger to himself or others.

I went in to this book with no expectations and was very pleasantly surprised. I’m always impressed when a writer can create such a realistic ch
Bruna Miranda
A.S. King e seu realismo fantástico <3 Não acostumada com o gênero, ainda fico um pouco confusa com os elementos surreais na história, mas tudo se conecta. Everybody Sees the Ants é uma história sobre bullying, acima de tudo; o Lucky não é um personagem muito aberto e como ele fala sobre as coisas realmente pode fingir que não é grande coisa, mas é. Muito.
Até certo ponto da história eu achei que tava okay, nada demais... e aí um detalhe é revelado e eu fiquei: WOW. É muito fácil a gente conhe
  • Leverage
  • Blink and Caution
  • Boy21
  • The Last Summer of the Death Warriors
  • Where Things Come Back
  • Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick (Perry & Gobi, #1)
  • The Things a Brother Knows
  • The Pull of Gravity
  • Stupid Fast (Stupid Fast, #1)
  • Beneath a Meth Moon
  • Orchards
  • Personal Effects
  • Now Is the Time for Running
  • Bronxwood (Tyrell, #2)
A.S. King is the author of the highly-acclaimed I CRAWL THROUGH IT, Walden Award winner GLORY O'BRIEN'S HISTORY OF THE FUTURE, REALITY BOY, 2013 LA Times Book Prize winner ASK THE PASSENGERS, 2012 ALA Top Ten Book for Young Adults EVERYBODY SEES THE ANTS, and 2011 Michael L. Printz Honor Book PLEASE IGNORE VERA DIETZ and THE DUST OF 100 DOGS as well as a collection of award-winning short stories f ...more
More about A.S. King...

“The world is full of assholes. What are you doing to make sure you're not one of them?” 335 likes
“Listen to me. They may control what you do, but no one can pee on your soul without your permission.” 106 likes