J.D. Robb discussion

Origin in Death (In Death, #21)
This topic is about Origin in Death
Archive - In Death Buddy Reads > Buddy Read - Origin In Death (Nov. 2014) Spoiler Zone

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10266 comments Mod
Feel free to join our buddy read of Origin In Death.

A New York Times Bestselling AuthorSet in 2059 in New York City, the #1 bestselling In Death series has given fans a searing glimpse into near-future law and order. Now, as science expands the limits of technology, Detective Eve Dallas tracks the cunning, cold-blooded killer of a father and son.

Michelle | 2295 comments I'll try and start it this weekend

message 3: by TC (new) - rated it 4 stars

TC | 2 comments sorry to sound ignorant, but what exactly is a Buddy Read? Is this just the book you recommend everyone read at the same time if they are far enough in the series?

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13061 comments Mod
You're close. It's where a group of members decide to read the same book at the same time for discussion. The beauty is, however, that others can join in anytime, beyond the timeframe most are reading it.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Yeah, I love being able to post about all the books as I read them.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) What? I don't OWN Origin??? How did this happen???

The buddy reads are fun, TC. We're making our way through the series at the rate of about 2 books a month. Everyone is welcome to join in anytime. We'll read the book & then start posting comments/discussions in this thread. And so on with each book. We often pop back into one of the past BR threads to chat about a book with new readers or rereaders.

I'll be the weekend starting Origin.

Sheri Morell (smorell22) | 2165 comments i will start next week

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2288 comments I will start next week too. Is Origin the Icove book?

It is.

Looks like next week for me also.

I'm woefully behind in my reads...haven't started Origin yet. Who is reading this one? Finished it? I'll try to get it in next week for sure.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Don't have it in audiobook, so I'm waiting for my Overdrive copy.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2288 comments I started reading before bed but I was a little too tired. I'll get into it tomorrow.

Michelle | 2295 comments Had a tough and stressful week. And seem to be off my reading. Even though I know Robb will help with that I just can't seem to pick up a book yet.

message 16: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn | 3238 comments I am sorry your week was so bad Michelle...take your time and let your reading mojo come back on its own. Hope your weekend is much better

Sorry to hear that Michelle. No pressure here...I've been a little off also.

Hang in there, Michelle!

Jeez - Peabody is such a hoot! "Is my nose fat?" haha

Peabody telling Eve that she's jealous over the new Southern Belle cop that Morris likes...that she's fantasized over having sex with Morris on his table!! Eve chokes & Peabody says...something about "ok, maybe she (Peabody) was the only one that had had that fantasy". LOL I love the humorous exchanges between these two. Hilarious.

Michelle | 2295 comments Thank you ladies. I'm truly trying to turn my week around with this weekend. The cocktail are helping plenty ;-)

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2288 comments Sandra there are several great Eve &Peabody exchanges. I love the one in the beginning when Peabody talked about getting a new nose. Eve gives her eulogy saying "damn shame about Peabody but that's some mag nose in the middle of her dead face.

I know Sharon...they are LOL discussions. Other than the Roarke scenes, Eve & Peabody are my favorite part of the books. It seems Peabody thinks every part of herself is fat! That one about the nose is hilarious. Thanks for sharing. Also loved Peabody thinking about getting the hair extentions.

message 24: by Sandra (last edited Nov 09, 2014 08:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

And in this one, we get the gift from Roarke to Eve - the coat!! Loved her reaction to it...she actually loves this gift! And Peabody's reaction when she sees it..awesome!

Also love the flare of jealousy from Peabody with the Asst. District Att. is batting her eyes at McNab. She tells Eve that "she was giving him the eye"! lol Peabody has to be one of the funniest sidekicks ever! I can't think of one I love more.

Michelle | 2295 comments I also loved the fact that Peabody is thinking of fixing things while waiting. I must admit that I'm the same. Always thinking I'm fat, but that is what makes this book so human. Wouldn't most of us have started what would we reconstruct game ?

Michelle | 2295 comments Oh and Sandra is this the new season look? She's very . . . . Sweet.

Just keep looking to find the right avi, Michelle!
It is human nature to see what we perceive as our own flaws...I certainly do.

Love, love that Roarke is planning his first "family" Thanksgiving. It's heart touching to see even the mighty Roarke a little out of sync as he tries to make sure everything is perfect. Even down to wondering if he should have a playground put in for the kids who will be coming. Sweet but nervous.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2288 comments I had to laugh as Eve practiced her Summerset barbs as she was driving home. When she finally got home she tried to talk herself into going back out only to find Roarke waiting for her. Flip a coin anyone?

Michelle | 2295 comments All that and then not use them. And it's finished off by Roarke saying that nothing has changed then. ;-)

She was disappointed to not use them after practicing them all! But then her "awareness" of Roarke takes over. He rights her world.

message 31: by Ness (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ness (ness-reads) | 222 comments Hi guys, hope all is well:), I missed the BR of the last 2 books, college is brutal this semester..

Vision and Survivor in death were so intense..

I'll try to start this one tomorrow and keep up now:)

Welcome back, Ness. We missed you!

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2288 comments Poor Eve having problems with Dr. Mira. Neither of them like arguing.

I know, Sharon. That was a hard scene for both of them. It's rare to see Dr. Mira react that way.

Michelle | 2295 comments I so hate Summerset !!! He know just where to hit her where it hurt. And this was really when she was just so , so tired

Yes, he did Michelle. He does realize it later but that doesn't excuse the cruelness of his words. It's one of the only times that I've not liked him...most of the time, I think it's an equal exchange of snarliness between them!

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2288 comments Michelle & Sandra, I agree. After Eve took that bullet for him their verbal sparing was a way to show affection (not sure how to explain it) but this exchange made me angry with him.

I love the murder in this case.(Are we supposed to love murders?) It is one of the few that are really scifi like. Most of the murder are something we might read in the news today but this one is spooky.

Also agree, Sharon. This one does have the scifi feel to it...And still it's creepy to think about all those girls.

Seeing 3 of Avery sitting side by side answering as one has to be creepy...I was creeped out just reading it.

Loved Eve's reaction to coming home with a houseful of Roarke's Irish relatives there - with kids everywhere. She is so out of her element handling that. But she'll do it for Roarke. I loved the talk Roarke's aunt had with her...talking about Roarke's mother, her twin.

Gotta love his aunt.

One of the things that troubled me about this story was the paradigm that just sent me into a brain freeze. When you think about all these clones and how they're related...I just couldn't keep it straight.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2288 comments I love Roarke's family and how they love him and Eve. Your right the conversation Siobhan is beautiful.

Michelle | 2295 comments That was special Sandra. Loved the granny as well. Laughing all the while !!

@ Sharon. It was odd. I was just as freaked out by the three. But this whole case just made me realize that this is futuristic. Because most of the cases is something we could still have happening today it just made me think of what else medical advances could bring about.

I think I hated Summerset that much more because she cried. She never breaks down like that. That goodness for Roarke. He makes everything better. Loved the next morning as well. So husbandly ;-)

The cloning did get to be a little much. The thought of all those girls...& for Eve to break Code Blue & give that info to Nadine was huge! Our Eve is usually by the book.

The big argument between her & Dr. Mira was something else also....wow. Eve ordered her out of there & she refused - reminding Eve that she could not interview any of the children without her there (or someone else certified to do it). Dr. Mira really had a hard time accepting what was done there - by someone she respected so much.

Michelle | 2295 comments That was intense!!!!! But it showed the human element. What would you do if the man you looked up , had such good relation with , did this. How do you reconcile the monster with the man? Many monster is too strong a word , maybe God complex?
I was so glad that she broke code blue. But we know that she would have done everything possible to have put a stop to the cruelty that was the lives of these women and girls. And who better to know what that life is like than Eve.

It was a very intense scene. Also loved with Dr. Mira told Eve she was the only person who could get her worked up like that other than her husband & children...very telling of their relationship. It did, indeed, show the very human, emotional side of this controversy. Bottom line was that they both wanted to protect these children but Dr. Mira had to come to terms with what her idol had done, accept it, & move on to do her job. And she did but it was hard.

Even with the flying vehicles, off planet sites, autochef, droids, etc., this is the book that drives home the futuristic aspect of this series to me. I'm actually glad that most of the books are not like this one. It's a bit creepy to think that life could be like that in the future. And I actually prefer the books with psycho serial killers over this one personally.

Maybe that's why this one fell flat for me. I loved all of the other stuff but the science was just too far out there.

And I think the realization that all the children who did not measure up were destroyed served to open Dr. Mira's eyes quickly also.

Jonetta wrote: "Maybe that's why this one fell flat for me. I loved all of the other stuff but the science was just too far out there."

Yes, for me too.

Michelle | 2295 comments This book was just full. The creepy factor. Eve and Mira on opposite sides. Roarke and his Irish family. Let's not forget Trina was also thrown in , and for a change Roarke and Eve hardly argue , that is also a record.

Michelle | 2295 comments Jonetta wrote: "Maybe that's why this one fell flat for me. I loved all of the other stuff but the science was just too far out there."

Maybe Robb was trying something . . .? It didn't work so she return to tried and loved

« previous 1