8-9 ENG 2014 discussion

October Reading Stacks 2014

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paula (last edited Oct 28, 2014 07:25PM) (new)

Paula (mspau) | 5 comments Mod
Welcome back! So, how did your reading during the break go? Did it match what you intended? From how long it would take you to the number of books? I planned to read 8 but got to read 6 which made me really happy. In our discussion below, tell us how your reading went...

Here are my titles -

Word Nerd
Noodle Pie
The Snow Queen
13: Thirteen Stories That Capture the Agony and Ecstasy of Being Thirteen
Maggot MoonThe Boat

I will book talk these one at a time through the week.

message 2: by Nishta (new)

Nishta Vaishampayan Little Bee
Night
The Dark Road
The Boy Who Harnessed The Wind
The Secret Life Of Bees

These are the books I read over the break. I think I read quite steadily and with a good pace. My aim was volume, and to target books that were quite mature and made me think. My favourite book out of this stack was Little Bee; it's language, plot, and style of writing all bound together seamlessly. Next break I want to focus more on reading dark, thorough books with depth that can enhance my reading collection and book knowledge.
I would like to read more than 6 books next break!

message 3: by Moe (new)

Moe | 3 comments I only got to read 2 books over the break.
I read Wonder and I also re-read If I stay.
I could have read Wonder in about a two days, but I did not want it to end because it was a book that I thought would be good to think about, then read the rest. The reason why I re-read If I stay was because I rushed through the book to watch the movie. I like to read the book before watching the movie because the books are more interesting and the movies sometimes cut out parts that are in the book.

message 4: by Savanah (new)

Savanah Brezac | 3 comments This break, I read 2-3 almost books , I actually intended to read 4 at the beginning, It took me the 2 weeks to read those books and i'm actually happy because i take super long to read books but i think i've improved..

My titles are: Eleanor and park, Divergent, when you reach me + catching fire which i kind of started but didn't continue, I think ill read that one in the future (:

message 5: by Fahim (new)

Fahim Hossain | 4 comments well I was planning on reading 3-4 stretch books, I ended up busy but still was able to read 2 and also one comfort book which only took a day. I was happy with that and was near what my goal was. Here are my titles :-
The Old Man and the Sea
Inheritance
Code Name Verity

message 6: by Rosie (new)

Rosie Worrall | 4 comments I did my reading every night, I think it went quite well. I am halfway through "Into the wild" now which is new to me but is quite interesting. I think that it is a "Just right" book. I also read some easy comfort books as well. Next I want to read an adventure book.

message 7: by Suk Woo (new)

Suk Woo Han | 4 comments I think that my reading went fine during the two week break. I planned to read around 3-4 and I read 3 books. I reread one book and read 2 new books. I think that I am happy with what I had read during the break.

My Titles-

Four: A Divergent Story Collection
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal

message 8: by Alice (new)

Alice Jennings I didn't really read as often as I would have liked, I was really busy but I will try to read more and find some good books to read. The book I am reading now is called Raven Stole the Moon. It's interesting and I like it a lot.

message 9: by Massimo (new)

Massimo Galli Zugaro | 3 comments I think that the books that I chose this time were ok, I read three books and two top gear magazines and I am happy with my reading however I did not like one of my books.

message 10: by Shivani (new)

Shivani Dayal | 4 comments My reading this break:

Columbine - Dave Cullen
Eve and Adam - Michael Grant
He Said She Said - Kwame Alexander
The Wedding Diaries - Sam Binnie (still reading this one)
Epic Fail - LaZebnik
The Dust of 100 Dogs - A. S. King
Tiger Lily - Jodi Lynn Anderson

I read as much as I wanted to, and my reading went well this break. :) Most of them were "just right" books, and 1 of them was a "comfort" book.

message 11: by Alex (new)

Alex Windheim | 3 comments I wanted to read 3 really long books but I wasn't able to read as much as I thought I could so I could only manage to finish one of them which is Death Cloud, but I'm still reading the rest now.

message 12: by Jodie (new)

Jodie (3JoJo3) Over the break I read 4-5 books, The books that I read where Attachments, Landline,and Eleanor and Park all by Rainbow Rowell, I also read Pivot point and a prequel to the summer unplugged serries. I think that I could have read more and longer books like maybe the storyteller.

message 13: by Hannah (last edited Oct 28, 2014 07:28PM) (new)

Hannah Jones | 3 comments These are the books I read:
Of Monsters and Men (Chaos Walking)
Four (Divergent series)
Solitaire
Love Letters to the Dead (I'm still reading this one)

I spent a lot of time reading over the holiday, but I read pretty slowly, so I didnt get to finish all the books I wanted to read. I read 3 and a half books, and 2 of them were part of a series. When I read the last book of the Chaos Walking series I reread the last couple of chapters so I could understand it better, but it was my favourite one I read this break.

message 14: by Dhir (last edited Oct 28, 2014 07:28PM) (new)

Dhir Baxi | 3 comments This break I read a couple books, I finished one of my books, re-read one and started another.

I am quite a slow reader so it was really difficult for me to finish a book in just a couple days. I read the The Battle Hymn Of the Tiger Mother. Im am quite happy with what I read considering the time I had, I could have done better though.

I started to read Where She Went (If I stay 2) I am not that far into the book so I cant say if its that good, but I'm excited to get into it! I think this book is a Just right book as it isn't too complicated but not easy either.

This break I intended to read around three books, I chose this according to the amount of time I had and my level. I don't think I achieves this but I read about that much so its okay.

message 15: by Karan (new)

Karan Dasgupta I think that the books that I chose were interesting and fun to read. I read three books and I am happy with the books that I read.

message 16: by Haruki (new)

Haruki Yoshida | 2 comments In the break I read A little history of the world and book 5 of the Cherub series and now I want to challenge myself to bigger books like Guns,Germs,And Steel and Heroes of olympus books

message 17: by Liam (new)

Liam Postlethwaite | 3 comments Boy Nobody
Oath-breaker
Prince Among Killers
The Nethergrim
Blood of Olympus
I am the Mission
Steel-heart

I enjoyed all these book except Oath-breaker and Prince Among Killers which were very confusing. These are really good books and I recommend to all.

message 18: by Yuji (new)

Yuji Go | 4 comments I think I did pretty well on reading. I didn't have a book stack but I had books in my house. I read 2 stretch/just right english books and many comfort japanese books.