David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

C.C. Hunter
This topic is about C.C. Hunter
Author Q&A > C.C. Hunter (Author of the Shadow Falls Series) Q&A Event--Nov 3-6th

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (last edited Nov 06, 2014 09:56AM) (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
From November 3-6th, bestselling author C.C. Hunter (author of the Shadow Falls Series) will be coming to our group to answer questions about her books, her life as an author, and about anything else you all can come up with!! So get ready for the fun and start thinking of some questions to ask her!

And if you haven't checked out her books yet, I encourage you to try them!

Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls, #1) by C.C. Hunter Chosen at Nightfall (Shadow Falls, #5) by C.C. Hunter Reborn (Shadow Falls After Dark, #1) by C.C. Hunter Eternal (Shadow Falls After Dark, #2) by C.C. Hunter

Questions:

1. Ryan--What would you do if you would be in Shadow Falls in Kylie's time or now?

2. Joycedale--What made you choose Della for a spin-off series?

3. Marianne--How does your book stand out from other vampires/werewolves/fairies stories out there?

4. Marianne--Is it difficult for you writing sequels in a series? Or does the story come naturally?

5. Lauren--Based on the Supernatural Personality Traits, are you a shapeshifter, werewolf, vampire, fae, or witch?

6. Danielle-My question pertains to shadow falls, I know we have Della's spin off, I have yet to read, but I would like to know if you would ever go back to Kylie? I felt like there was so much more to learn from her especially her supernatural personality.

7. Sam--My question could be answered above with Lauren's but if you could choose to be 'other' than human in your world what would you be and why?

8. Kathleen--I love your books! Have you thought about writing a book or novella about Miranda?

9. Joycedale-- if there will be more storyline for Derek or Perry?

10. David--What are the earliest writing inspirations you can remember (authors, books, etc)?

11. Karen--What is your favorite fan moment?

12. Karen--What surrounds you when you write?

13. Sam--Do you have a favorite moment being a fan yourself? who and when did you meet them?

14. Sherry--I love book covers. Do you design the covers or just give suggestions to a designer?

15. Chris--Characters are so important, If you started a great novel with a couple great characters and really intense interaction, how do you keep from losing the readers interest when you have to add plot, other characters, and other elements.

16. Chris-- Same question from a different angle: When writing those really boring plot elements which are critical to moving the story forward, how do you handle those, spice them up, or make them more interesting?

17. Chris-- I just read through all the questions, and will ask another. In regards to genre, I write science fiction, with teen characters and I was told my book might have space opera in it. How do you decide what to list your writing under, in order to find the right audience. I feel like my science fiction would be great for girls, but do girls even read science fiction?

18. Karen--Do you have any pets? Dog, cat, hamster? :)

19. Jenny--Do you have any projects lined up that other than Shadow Falls?

☆Joycedale☆ | 310 comments I love that series! My sister and I buddy read the whole thing.

message 3: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

That sounds like fun Joycedale! Better start thinking up questions :)

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Great to hear, Joycedale!! I'm working on my questions!! :)

message 5: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
WOW! Amazing!!! Can't wait :)

message 6: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Bada (ryanbada) What would you do if you would be in Shadow Falls in Kylie's time or now?

message 7: by Sam (new)

Sam | 9 comments Thanks for hosting David!!! Can we start asking question here or do we need to wait?

message 8: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

You can start asking questions now, Sam :) Thanks for participating!

☆Joycedale☆ | 310 comments What made you choose Della for a spin-off series?

Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)  (mariannelee) Welcome! I've heard many things from these books but haven't been able to read them yet. Now I have an excuse to :)

How does your book stand out from other vampires/werewolves/fairies stories out there?

Is it difficult for you writing sequels in a series? Or does the story come naturally?

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments Hi C.C. Thanks for visiting our group!
I've not yet had the opportunity to read the Shadow Falls series, but it sounds like it could be right up my alley.

I read the Supernatural Personality Traits available on your website and it helped give me a taste of the world you have created for the Shadow Falls series. Through those traits, I would say I'm part werewolf and part vampire. Based on the Supernatural Personality Traits, are you a shapeshifter, werewolf, vampire, fae, or witch?

Thanks!

message 12: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Sam wrote: "Thanks for hosting David!!! Can we start asking question here or do we need to wait?"

You're most welcome, although the biggest thanks goes to Jenny for connecting with C.C. and organizing the event, and C.C. Hunter for being so generous to give us some of her valuable time :)

Danielle (Danniegurl) (danniegurl4388) My question pertains to shadow falls, I know we have Della's spin off, I have yet to read, but I would like to know if you would ever go back to Kylie? I felt like there was so much more to learn from her especially her supernatural personality.

message 14: by Sam (new)

Sam | 9 comments Thanks Jenny for organising!

Hi C C Hunter! I love your shadow falls series! My question could be answered above with Lauren's but if you could choose to be 'other' than human in your world what would you be and why?

message 15: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Sam wrote: "Thanks Jenny for organising!

Hi C C Hunter! I love your shadow falls series! My question could be answered above with Lauren's but if you could choose to be 'other' than human in your world what w..."

You're so welcome, my pleasure :)

message 16: by C.C. (new)

C.C. Hunter | 22 comments Jenny wrote: "From November 3-6th, bestselling author C.C. Hunter (author of the Shadow Falls Series) will be coming to our group to answer questions about her books, her life as an author, and about anything el..."

Jenny wrote: "From November 3-6th, bestselling author C.C. Hunter (author of the Shadow Falls Series) will be coming to our group to answer questions about her books, her life as an author, and about anything el..."

Jenny wrote: "From November 3-6th, bestselling author C.C. Hunter (author of the Shadow Falls Series) will be coming to our group to answer questions about her books, her life as an author, and about anything el..."

message 17: by C.C. (new)

C.C. Hunter | 22 comments Jenny wrote: "From November 3-6th, bestselling author C.C. Hunter (author of the Shadow Falls Series) will be coming to our group to answer questions about her books, her life as an author, and about anything el..."

message 18: by C.C. (new)

C.C. Hunter | 22 comments 1. Ryan--What would you do if you would be in Shadow Falls in Kylie's time or now?

Not completely sure what you mean, but let me take a stab at it. What I do if could show up? I'd probably want to have lunch with Della, Miranda & Kylie. I'd avoid drinking blood.

message 19: by C.C. (new)

C.C. Hunter | 22 comments 2. Joycedale--What made you choose Della for a spin-off series?

Della was so guarded that I wanted to know more about her. I hadn't been asked to write the novella, Saved at Sunrise, but I felt as if I just had to write it. Then when I sent it my editor she asked me to write a spin off series with Della, because she was spunky. And I knew she had a lot of secrets. So it's fun writing about her, digging into her secrets.

message 20: by C.C. (new)

C.C. Hunter | 22 comments 3. Marianne--How does your book stand out from other vampires/werewolves/fairies stories out there?

Great question. I think Shadow Falls is different in that it includes all kinds of species. And I think it includes so many different kinds of emotions. This is part of my voice. I don't want to write a book that is all drama and tears. I want my characters to find strength in laughter. Growing up, my family had a motto. If you can laugh at it, you can live with it. Laughter is coping method. And it's one I've given all characters. What do you guys think makes Shadow Falls different?

message 21: by C.C. (new)

C.C. Hunter | 22 comments 4. Marianne--Is it difficult for you writing sequels in a series? Or does the story come naturally?

In the original series I was in Kylie's point of view and when I started Shadow Falls: After Dark, I would sometimes have to remind myself that I was in Della's head. She's sassier than Kylie. In one scene, Miranda came in and asked where Kylie was. I had written Della's answer to be: They went out to be alone. Then I realized...Wait! That's how Kylie would say it. So I changed it to read. "Her and Lucas went out to suck face."

While in a lot of ways, I'm more like Kylie, I have some Della in me, too. And I'm having fun with her story. The hardest part of writing the spin off series, is that so many people were so attached to Kylie that Della is having to win them over. Ahh, but she's doing it. She had a heart of gold.

message 22: by C.C. (new)

C.C. Hunter | 22 comments 5. Lauren--Based on the Supernatural Personality Traits, are you a shapeshifter, werewolf, vampire, fae, or witch?

I'm a fae, and maybe a bit chameleon. All my life I've been the person my friends want to talk to about their problems. I guess I'm a good listener. And I've always been able to read people really well. I'm dyslexic and I think part of my intuitiveness come from that. I'm the one who can tell if someone is upset, even when they are trying to hide it. And maybe I'm part chameleon because at different times I can be headstrong, like a vampire and when I want to write I can become a bit of a loner.. So I see a little werewolf in me, too.

message 23: by C.C. (new)

C.C. Hunter | 22 comments 6. Danielle-My question pertains to shadow falls, I know we have Della's spin off, I have yet to read, but I would like to know if you would ever go back to Kylie? I felt like there was so much more to learn from her especially her supernatural personality.

You see, another huge Kylie fan. LOL. I'm thrilled everyone loves Kylie. And I'll personally ask you to give Della a chance. Now...will I ever go back to Kylie. I can see me doing a novella about Kylie. Maybe when she's in collage. Hmm...I wonder what will be happening between her and Lucas, then?

message 24: by C.C. (new)

C.C. Hunter | 22 comments 7. Sam--My question could be answered above with Lauren's but if you could choose to be 'other' than human in your world what would you be and why?

Well, Lauren's question was what am I? But what would I like to be? Not werewolf. I hate shaving my legs and I can't imagine how much hair would be left over from a full moon. Now, the idea of drinking blood . . . That would be hard, but I would love to fly. I have had dreams where I could fly and I loved those dreams. So maybe I could tolerate the blood just to fly.

message 25: by C.C. (new)

C.C. Hunter | 22 comments ☆Joycedale☆ wrote: "I love that series! My sister and I buddy read the whole thing."

Thanks Joycedale!!

message 26: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Adey | 2 comments I love your books! Have you thought about writing a book or novella about Miranda?

message 27: by ☆Joycedale☆ (new)

☆Joycedale☆ | 310 comments Lol I just had the same question Kathleen and came over here to ask. My sister wants to know if there will be more storyline for Derek or Perry?

message 28: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Wow, awesome answers so far C.C.! My question is:

What are the earliest writing inspirations you can remember (authors, books, etc)? Thanks!

message 29: by C.C. (new)

C.C. Hunter | 22 comments Kathleen wrote: "I love your books! Have you thought about writing a book or novella about Miranda?"

Kathleen, guess what I'm doing right now? Yup, you guessed it. I'm writing a novella about Miranda. Poor thing, she's getting herself into lots of trouble.

message 30: by C.C. (new)

C.C. Hunter | 22 comments ☆Joycedale☆ wrote: "Lol I just had the same question Kathleen and came over here to ask. My sister wants to know if there will be more storyline for Derek or Perry?"

Well, I try not to forget any of my characters. Keeping checking my website. Soon there is going to be some unpublished scenes from Derek's point of view. As for Perry. Oh, yeah, we'll see more from that shape-shifter.

message 31: by C.C. (new)

C.C. Hunter | 22 comments David wrote: "Wow, awesome answers so far C.C.! My question is:

What are the earliest writing inspirations you can remember (authors, books, etc)? Thanks!"

I'm southern, and in the south we kind of grew up telling stories. Because I'm dyslexic, I didn't grow up reading that much. But I would find me a quiet spot and I would dream up stories. I didn't even consider that I might grow up and write. It wasn't until I was 23 that I finally admitted that I had spent a lot my life creating stories in my head. I took me ten years to get my first published.

That said, I do remember one book that I read. Charlotte's Web. I hated the ending though. So I would go in my head and write a different ending.

message 32: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

C.c. wrote: "7. Sam--My question could be answered above with Lauren's but if you could choose to be 'other' than human in your world what would you be and why?

Well, Lauren's question was what am I? But wha..."

Best. Answer. Ever! LOL

Thanks so much, C.C. for joining us!! :)

What is your favorite fan moment?

What surrounds you when you write?

message 34: by C.C. (new)

C.C. Hunter | 22 comments Karen wrote: "Thanks so much, C.C. for joining us!! :)

What surrounds you when you write?"

Oh, I have two: One just happened in my hometown in Al. a couple of weeks ago. I was shopping with my dad and the lady behind the cash register kept looking at me funny. I thought she suspected I might be a shoplifter the way she kept her eye on me. But then when I handed her my credit card, she said, "Wow. I thought it was you. I'm reading your book right now."

The next one was when I was away on book tour and the limo driver asked what I wrote. I told him and he said he had a daughter and asked if I had a bookmark. He told me that I would have a different driven on my return to the airport, but then the same limo driver picked me up. When I told him I didn't think it would be him, he said, "I had to, my daughter begged me to give you this letter. Turns out she's your biggest fan."

I love my fans. I love it when they come to my events. Without you guys, I wouldn't have this career that I love. So I kind of owe you. So a big think you to all my guys.

message 35: by C.C. (new)

C.C. Hunter | 22 comments Karen wrote: "Thanks so much, C.C. for joining us!! :)

What surrounds you when you write?"

What surrounds me. I mostly write in my office. This is a new office/new home. I've only lived here a year. I have tons of books, toys, and inspiration. I actually did a blog post about my office. You can pop over and see pictures of my office. http://cchunterbooks.com/blog/2014/08...

message 36: by Sam (new)

Sam | 9 comments Do you have a favorite moment being a fan yourself? who and when did you meet them?

I LOVED hearing your favorite fan moments, C.C.!! They gave me chills.

And I get a kick out of seeing what's in your office! Thanks for sharing!!

message 38: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Fundin | 10 comments I love book covers. Do you design the covers or just give suggestions to a designer?

message 39: by Chris (new)

Chris Bieniek | 8 comments 1. Characters are so important, If you started a great novel with a couple great characters and really intense interaction, how do you keep from losing the readers interest when you have to add plot, other characters, and other elements.
2. Same question from a different angle: When writing those really boring plot elements which are critical to moving the story forward, how do you handle those, spice them up, or make them more interesting?

message 40: by Chris (new)

Chris Bieniek | 8 comments 3. I just read through all the questions, and will ask another. In regards to genre, I write science fiction, with teen characters and I was told my book might have space opera in it. How do you decide what to list your writing under, in order to find the right audience. I feel like my science fiction would be great for girls, but do girls even read science fiction? that's 2 questions. thanks.

Chris, I've loved Sci Fi for as long as I can remember!! Since I was a tween!! Over 4 decades ago. ;)

message 42: by C.C. (new)

C.C. Hunter | 22 comments Sam wrote: "Do you have a favorite moment being a fan yourself? who and when did you meet them?"

Oh, yes! I love Kelly Armstrong and when I met her, I told her I really enjoyed her books, and then my tongue got thick and my brain went dead and I just walked away. And I love Susan E. Phillips and I fan girl each and every time I see her.

message 43: by C.C. (new)

C.C. Hunter | 22 comments Sherry wrote: "I love book covers. Do you design the covers or just give suggestions to a designer?"

When you are with a publisher, they do the cover designs. You hear authors complain that they don't get any say in covers. But I haven't found that to be true with St. Martins. Yes, they design it, but then they send it to me and ask for my opinion. The first cover for Born at Midnight was sent to me and I panicked. The cover was just like it is now, but the girl on the cover looked eleven years old. I told them..."You can't put an eleven year old on the cover. She's making out with a werewolf in the book." They found me another girl and I was so happy. Then they kind of asked me for a suggestion for the next covers. I like all of them. My only complaint about the Shadow Falls covers were that they had a different girl on each cover. Yes, they tried to make it look the same, but I could tell it wasn't and I think a lot of my readers could to. So when they started working on the covers for Shadow Falls: After Dark, I asked them to use the same girl. And I love the covers. For the cover of Unspoken they sent their first design and it was of the same girl, but I didn't like the pose Della had. I gave a thumbs down and they went back to the drawing board. I'm glad they did. Because now I love the cover of Unspoken. LOVE IT. They also did the cover of Unbreakable and I wasn't in love with it. My editor asked me what look I was looking for and I told her to give me guy, looking mysterious on the front. So they redid it and I love it, too. So while I don't come up with the designs, I do get a vote. And I appreciate my publisher listening to my ideas.

message 44: by C.C. (new)

C.C. Hunter | 22 comments Chris wrote: "1. Characters are so important, If you started a great novel with a couple great characters and really intense interaction, how do you keep from losing the readers interest when you have to add plo..."

Okay, basically, there shouldn't be boring scenes. Yes, there is information you have to give but you need to find a way to make it interesting. The best advice I can give is to make sure those scenes are filled to the brim with conflict. Conflict is what makes a scene interesting. So find a way to up that tension by adding a story problem. Even if you are just introducing a new character, there should be conflict. What can this character say or do that could cause your main character to have a problem? There is a saying that a writer's job is to run their character up a tree and then throw rocks at them. When a character doesn't have a problem, the book is boring. So the more problems the better the book.

message 45: by C.C. (new)

C.C. Hunter | 22 comments Chris wrote: "3. I just read through all the questions, and will ask another. In regards to genre, I write science fiction, with teen characters and I was told my book might have space opera in it. How do you de..."

Well, you might be asking the wrong person this question. I'm famous for blending genres. My books are paranormal, with a little mystery, some humor, and they are often considered urban fantasy. If you are writing for a publisher and not self-publishing, you need to make sure you have a handle on what genre you are writing in. And yes, this means making sure your genre will fit your audience. But here's the thing. Harry Potter didn't fit any genre, or the popular genre. But it made it because it was a great story. Write a great story.

If you are self-publishing, you can write the book the way you see it. Most readers don't care--they just want a good story, but publishers can be picky. I would suggest you write the book the way it feels right to you and then have some people you respect read it and ask them what genre they feel this book best fits. I hope I helped. This is a hard one.

message 46: by Sherry (new)

Sherry Fundin | 10 comments C.c. wrote: "Sherry wrote: "I love book covers. Do you design the covers or just give suggestions to a designer?"

When you are with a publisher, they do the cover designs. You hear authors complain that they d..."

That's great that they consider your input. I would think they would want you happy so you can concentrate on writing. lol I'm happy they took the 11 year old off too. Even I wouldn't want a werewolf messing with an underage girl. Not that the werewolf would care.lol I love the covers, especially the ones for Shadow Falls.

message 47: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Adey | 2 comments What about a Miranda book? Have you considered writing the adorable little witch's story?

Ohmygosh, C.C., I am LOVING your answers!!!

Do you have any pets? Dog, cat, hamster? :)

message 49: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Do you have any projects lined up that other than Shadow Falls?

message 50: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Kathleen wrote: "What about a Miranda book? Have you considered writing the adorable little witch's story?"

C.C. answered this already Kathleen :)

« previous 1