Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Rosie Effect (Don Tillman, #2)
This topic is about The Rosie Effect
Previous BRs - Authors; Q - T > Simsion, Graeme - The Rosie Effect - Informal Buddy Read; Start date January 7, 2015

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30835 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion

Book Synopsis:
THE ROSIE PROJECT WAS COMPLETE BUT I WAS UNPREPARED FOR THE ROSIE EFFECT.

GREETINGS. My name is Don Tillman. I am forty-one years old. I have been married to Rosie Jarman, world's most perfect woman, for ten months and ten days.

Marriage added significant complexity to my life. When we relocated to New York City, Rosie brought three maximum-size suitcases. We abandoned the Standardised Meal System and agreed that sex should not be scheduled in advance.

Then Rosie told me we had 'something to celebrate', and I was faced with a challenge even greater than finding a partner.

I have attempted to follow traditional protocols and have sourced advice from all six of my friends, plus a therapist and the internet.

The result has been a web of deceit. I am now in danger of prosecution, deportation and professional disgrace.

And of losing Rosie forever.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Is this book already released in the UK? In the US it says it won't be published until December 30th.

message 5: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments I have no idea. I saw they made a deal on a date and set up a thread. :P
It looks like e-editions are out

Renee (reneeconoulty) | 3309 comments Is out in Australia. I've already borrows it from the library, read it and returned it. No points for me :( Great book though :)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Thanks Tea. I think you're right. Amazon says I can buy it in kindle format, but the hardback won't be released until Dec 30th.

message 8: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Renee wrote: "Is out in Australia. I've already borrows it from the library, read it and returned it. No points for me :( Great book though :)"

*cough*change a date*cough*

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments I will have to wait for the library to offer this one in January. If anyone wants to start late (early January) I'll join!

ZaraS  *book reviewer Definitely in on this one. I bought my own copy because it was so cheap and I'm having difficulty not beginning it before the 1st November.

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments Ooohh, so tempting! I loved the first book.
I have already signed up for another BR on the same date but I'll see if I can make this work anyway.

message 12: by Kristie (new) - added it

Kristie | 3206 comments Sorry about that everyone! I forgot that it's not released in the US until Dec 30. It is a BOM in one of my other groups, so when Zara suggested it I thought it would be perfect. I got an e-copy through Netgalley. It's still available there, if anyone wants to try to get it that way.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments I'm good with Jan. It isn't coming out until Dec 30th so I'll wait until my library has it for me and it will give a chance to read the first book since I've purchased it but never read it, LOL. So RebeccaS if you want I'm in :)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments So is this going to be a Jan. BR?

ZaraS  *book reviewer Jan. would be fine. I've already read the book but I would be happy to participate in the discussion if that's OK.

I'm sorry for the problem with release date. I'm so used to books being released in the US before Australia that I thought the US would have had it available already. It was released here on the 30th September.

message 16: by Kristie (new) - added it

Kristie | 3206 comments I don't mind changing to January either. Should we pick a date in January and ask the mods to change it in the thread title, so others know too? When in January works for everyone? I can read it pretty much whenever it works for everyone else.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments That would be great. I don't care what day in January. Any day is fine.

message 18: by Kristie (new) - added it

Kristie | 3206 comments Ok, well since it comes out on Dec 30th, how about we say we'll give everyone a week or so to get the book then start? I'll suggest Jan 7th. What does everyone think about that date?

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Ohh please make it January as I can then join this one without feeling any pangs of guilt! ;)

Sorry Zara. I know you were looking forward to this one and I wouldn't mind squeezing it as it is already available on Kindle and I have it. However, the lure of January is just too tempting :)

ZaraS  *book reviewer Srividya wrote: "Ohh please make it January as I can then join this one without feeling any pangs of guilt! ;)

Sorry Zara. I know you were looking forward to this one and I wouldn't mind squeezing it as it is alre..."

Srividya, no need to apologise. I completely understand. The 7th January would still work for me. It will still be fresh enough in my mind to remember what went on. Please let the mods know to change the start date to the 7th January.

message 21: by Kristie (new) - added it

Kristie | 3206 comments Ok, I left a message for the mods in the buddy request thread.

ZaraS  *book reviewer Kristie (~ Gaildis, of the Elves ~) wrote: "Ok, I left a message for the mods in the buddy request thread."

Thanks Kristie

Skandia (sfgirl) | 1724 comments I'm going to join you in January. I loved the first book!

message 24: by Kristie (new) - added it

Kristie | 3206 comments Zara wrote: "Kristie (~ Gaildis, of the Elves ~) wrote: "Ok, I left a message for the mods in the buddy request thread."

Thanks Kristie"

You're welcome. I'm glad more people will be able to join us in our discussion.

message 25: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Nov 12, 2014 07:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Kristie (~ Gaildis, of the Elves ~) wrote: "Ok, well since it comes out on Dec 30th, how about we say we'll give everyone a week or so to get the book then start? I'll suggest Jan 7th. What does everyone think about that date?"

Fine by me, thanks Kristie :)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Zara wrote: "Srividya wrote: "Ohh please make it January as I can then join this one without feeling any pangs of guilt! ;)

Sorry Zara. I know you were looking forward to this one and I wouldn't mind squeezing..."

Okay Zara. One more to my list, I guess ;)

Srividya Vijapure (theinkedmermaid) | 1160 comments Kristie (~ Gaildis, of the Elves ~) wrote: "Ok, I left a message for the mods in the buddy request thread."

Thanks Kristie :)

ZaraS  *book reviewer Srividya wrote: "Zara wrote: "Srividya wrote: "Ohh please make it January as I can then join this one without feeling any pangs of guilt! ;)

Sorry Zara. I know you were looking forward to this one and I wouldn't m..."

Already added Srividya. You're up to 16 BRs so far.

message 29: by Kristie (new) - added it

Kristie | 3206 comments Topic has been updated to Jan 7th. Thanks mods!!

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 4961 comments I'll be joining too.

message 32: by Shan ~A~ (new) - added it

Shan ~A~ (thebookglutton) | 697 comments I definitely want in. I loved The Rosie Project and have been waiting, very impatiently for The Rosie Effect. Love you, Don.

Sarah | 3273 comments I might try to join if I can get a copy, hopefully the audio on Overdrive. We will see?

K~Terror (k-terror) | 5600 comments I'm finishing a book today/tomorrow and plan to start this one next if others are ready to begin reading too!

ZaraS  *book reviewer Kristin ~ Experiment in Terror Junkie wrote: "I'm finishing a book today/tomorrow and plan to start this one next if others are ready to begin reading too!"

I read this book a month or so ago but I'm ready to discuss it with others

Sarah | 3273 comments I will have to start later - it is still on hold:-(

message 37: by Shan ~A~ (new) - added it

Shan ~A~ (thebookglutton) | 697 comments Still waiting for my copy.

message 38: by Kristie (new) - added it

Kristie | 3206 comments I'm still finishing up another read before this one. I'll join a bit later too. Let me know when you're all ready to start.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 4961 comments I will be starting around Sunday/ Monday.

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments I'm still waiting for my copy from the library as well. I'm 66 right now.

message 41: by Kristie (new) - added it

Kristie | 3206 comments Sarah & Shan - Any idea when you'll get your copies?

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 4961 comments I started it. Good to see the same old Don and still madly in love with Rosie.

Sarah | 3273 comments God, I wish I could start right now. I have a few days before my next audio BR.

I am #2 on the wait list, but there is only one copy. Technically someone has up to three weeks to check it out. But usually people will return as soon as they finish...I am hoping.

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Man I am dying to start this one. The first book was one of my very favorites of 2014.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 4961 comments The Blue Fin Tuna Incident... poor Don. (view spoiler)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 4961 comments And Don's reaction to finding out Rosie's news. (view spoiler)

Cynthia (cynthiab) Sarah wrote: "God, I wish I could start right now. I have a few days before my next audio BR.

I am #2 on the wait list, but there is only one copy. Technically someone has up to three weeks to check it out. Bu..."

I'm #2 on the waitlist, too. There are 5 copies, but none of them are due until 2/4. Maybe someone will turn it in early. Our lending period is 4 weeks, and it shouldn't take that long to read it!

I'm so glad my library doesn't have a hold limit. If it's an ILL request, I think those are limited to 10. But anything in the library catalog has no limit.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 4961 comments Up to Chapter 12.

(view spoiler)

message 49: by Cynthia (last edited Jan 13, 2015 11:36PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cynthia (cynthiab) Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Up to Chapter 12.

[spoilers removed]"

Just tell me this book is better than the last BR we attempted together. (5 minutes ago) Save me the disappointment!

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 4961 comments LOL - Literally!

Well, it's pretty fun, light and edited....

Not my usual thing but quite enjoyable.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Rosie Effect (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Graeme Simsion (other topics)