David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)
This topic is about The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Archives (Book of the Month) > November 2014 Book of the Month - The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1) by Michelle Hodkin won for the November Book of the Month!

Edit: Spoilers are welcome but please hide them with spoiler tabs for those who have not read this book yet. :)

You can discuss here! :) ENJOY!!

message 2: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
I'm really going to try to get this one this month!

message 3: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
I found it on my Kindle!! YAY! I'd forgotten I'd bought it! So will definitely read this one :)

kynndra-jo (kynnroo) Love, love this one! It has mixed reviews (depends on the reader really) but honestly - love it c:

Crystal (cgk22) Excited that this one is the book of the month, have it in my stash just haven't read. Will be reading in November!

message 6: by Zoe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoe Cannon (zoecannon) This looks like it's going to be either the type of YA I love or the type I hate. I put off buying it for ages because I just wasn't sure, but I picked it up a couple of months ago when it was the Kindle Daily Deal. This will be a good excuse to finally read it.

Alice Reeds (alice_reeds) I LOVE this book! It's one of my favorite ones out there so I'm happy to see that it's the book of the month and that even more people might pick it up and read it :D

kynndra-jo (kynnroo) I agree, Alice!!

I just got my copy from the elibrary! :)

message 10: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

Wow, thanks for chiming in everyone, sounds like this discussion could be very lively! You convinced me, I'm going to get it VERY soon :)

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 295 comments Oh, sorry just noticed this... but I REALLY liked it. Snarky and fun, and honestly... I didn't see some of that stuff coming. I'm a little nervous to start the next book until the 3rd is already out... *which is soon!*

kynndra-jo (kynnroo) This book series has to be one of my favorites. Alana, the second is even better. Gaaah I cannot wait for the third one!

message 13: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

Every time I've gone to the library, they've had this book. I went yesterday and it was checked out LOL. Hopefully they'll have it in a couple of weeks so I can discuss with you all!

message 14: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 4 stars

David wrote: "Every time I've gone to the library, they've had this book. I went yesterday and it was checked out LOL. Hopefully they'll have it in a couple of weeks so I can discuss with you all!"

That's the way the world works sometimes! LOL

message 15: by Zoe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoe Cannon (zoecannon) I'm about 40% through this book, and so far it's not at all what I expected. I expected either a style-heavy book like Shatter Me (which I was hoping it would be), or a cliche-ridden paranormal romance (which I was afraid it would be). Instead it's a horror novel! Now, I don't read horror - this is pretty much an absolute rule. But I'm actually finding myself enjoying this one, and not being too badly creeped out by it.

The only part I'm iffy on is Noah. It may partly be that I just finished In the Afterlight and so I'm comparing Noah to Liam, but Noah makes me yawn. The creepy mystery around Mara, though, is enough to make up for that. (And anyway, I have a theory that (view spoiler))

message 16: by kynndra-jo (last edited Nov 03, 2014 07:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

kynndra-jo (kynnroo) Zoe I have to agree - at first Noah is kind of a prick and is given a bad image.. But don't lose hope yet! After like 70% of the book I fell in love with him. He's like in the top 3 of my book boyfriends. And yes, I love the creep factor in TUOMD, it's unique and tantalizing. I loved the second one, and am dying for the third which comes out soon! Can't wait to see what you think of it at the end, people either hate it or love it usually.

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 295 comments I don't care if he's a douche... I adore Noah

message 18: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

Zoe wrote: "I'm about 40% through this book, and so far it's not at all what I expected. I expected either a style-heavy book like Shatter Me (which I was hoping it would be), or a cliche-ridden paranormal rom..."

This comment REALLY makes me want to read it now LOL!

Same here!!

message 20: by Zoe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoe Cannon (zoecannon) I ended up zipping through the book and finishing it last night... and now I'm conflicted about it. There were some parts I really loved. There were some parts I really didn't. (My review is here.) I will say, though, that this is the only book I've read where the creepy horror-like atmosphere has made me want to keep reading rather than put the book down! So the author must have done something right :)

(I never did warm up to Noah, though!)

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 295 comments I'm curious to see what everyone thinks. It's different, that's for sure. And that plot twist or whatever you want to call it... it was a difficult pill to swallow... but I was won over by Noah and I guess I really like that snarky teenage tone through the book.

I finally started this and am 26% in. I'm surprised by how much I like it so far.

Crystal (cgk22) I finished it Saturday night, late. Was shocked by how it ended. Not my typical kind of book but I did enjoy it. Very well written and the twists and turns kept me interested. I happened to like Noah as well, but I do think there is something strange with him that he's maybe not completely telling Mara. I thought the snarky, smart ass tone of the book was hilarious. Loved the asscrown discussion..."No," I said, louder this time. "I mean asscrown. The crown on top of the asshat that covers the asshole of the assclown. The very zenith in the hierarchy of asses," I said, as though I was reading from a dictionary of modern profanity."

Well written and enjoyable. It did leave me a little confused as to whether or not I want to read on. I have added the next 2 on my sounds interesting list, we shall see.

Seriously enjoying this book. I'm 49% in. And to be honest, Noah pretty much had me when he helped save Mabel.

Whoever nominated this for BotM, well done. I'm not sure I would have picked it up because it's not really my typical genre. I love being surprised!! :)

kynndra-jo (kynnroo) That's why I nominated it. It's so unique and amazing, something I know will shock people. There's nothing like it. So happy you love it, Karen. It only gets better. It took me a bit (20%) to get really into Retribution (the 3rd book) but ugh it's captured me! Can't wait to hear your thoughts when you finish! c:

I'm into the romance part right now and it's feeling a bit like the same scene from Twilight. ;) Hope we move past that pretty quickly.

Wish granted. We have officially moved on to FREAKY!!

Alana ~ The Book Pimp (loonyalana) | 295 comments Karen wrote: "Wish granted. We have officially moved on to FREAKY!!"

Hahahaha!

Crystal (cgk22) Karen wrote: "I'm into the romance part right now and it's feeling a bit like the same scene from Twilight. ;) Hope we move past that pretty quickly."

I felt a little Twilight deja vu as well with the romance between Mara and Noah. But then yes it does get, interesting!

message 30: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

Finally got my copy! I'll start it as soon as I finish Blood of my Blood, which I just started. Can't wait to read your spoilers and join in the conversation :)

message 31: by Karen’s Library (last edited Nov 14, 2014 08:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Well dang, my ecopy got sucked back to the library. I'm back on hold but I'm next. :) I had just hit the really interesting parts too! I think I was at a bit over 50% (view spoiler) Some freaky things are going on...! I want my book back!!

message 32: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

Oh wow, I didn't know that's the way ecopies at the library worked, just getting sucked back and all that LOL

message 33: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 4 stars

I just started reading today, and I'm already at 57%! Very hooked so far! I kind of like Noah despite myself, I can see why Mara is falling for him! I kind of hate Mara's mom at this point, like both her brothers, and so far through the flashbacks, DO NOT like Jude at all! Or Claire of course!

kynndra-jo (kynnroo) I loved Daniel - Mara's older brother. Such an amazing character throughout all three novels c':

message 35: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finished it! Couldn't put this one down! Very very freaky, loved the read! (view spoiler) I'll have to read the next book soon!

message 36: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh one question I have (view spoiler)

Laken | 3 comments I just picked this one up from the library, but my copy of Undivided also came available today so that obviously will take priority :) After reading the comments on here I can't wait to read it though!

kynndra-jo (kynnroo) Jenny; (view spoiler)

Just finished. Did not see that coming! (view spoiler)

I also love Daniel and Noah!

message 40: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kynndra wrote: "Jenny; [spoilers removed]"

Thanks Kynndra, good to know!

message 41: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

Starting tonight! FINALLY

Yay, David! :)

message 43: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

:)

message 44: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

Just started it and wow, I'm totally sucked into the story already. So much unexpected craziness so far. Starting chapter 8 now :)

message 45: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 4 stars

I was totally hooked by this one too! Read it all in one day!!

It does draw you right in!!

Crystal (cgk22) Kynndra wrote: "I loved Daniel - Mara's older brother. Such an amazing character throughout all three novels c':"

I agree Daniel is a great character. I think he seems the most level headed, even more so than her parents.

Crystal (cgk22) Jenny wrote: "Kynndra wrote: "Jenny; [spoilers removed]"

Thanks Kynndra, good to know!"

Good question, I had forgotten about poor Jamie, I liked him as well!

message 49: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new) - added it

I am also liking Daniel. I'm at page 130 now. The Noah/Mara banter is a bit cliché, but some of it is really funny too. More than anything though, what's keeping me reading is the mystery/paranormal aspect to it, like (view spoiler)

message 50: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new) - rated it 4 stars

YES!!! Exactly, David this is what kept me reading, had to know!! It gets even more crazy, too! And by the end, I really liked Noah, even more than Mara actually. Lots of twists in this one!

« previous 1

David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (other topics)