2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
This topic is about Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
ARCHIVE 2014 > Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close: Chapters 13 - End (Contains Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kara, TBR Twins (last edited Oct 26, 2014 05:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Here, we will discuss the last chapters in the book, chapter 13 to the end.

And don't forget to post your review of the book here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Claire  (claire6452) | 691 comments Okay, I'm skipping right to the end here, without posting on the middle section. This is largely because I borrowed the book from the library for my kindle, and it's been returned, so I'm not sure what's included in the borderline chapters, and I don't want to spoil anything for anybody...

I have to admit to being somewhat confused at the beginning of this book. I really couldn't see how all the narratives were going to be connected. Having finished it, I am amazed at how everything dovetailed and all the stories blended so smoothly!

The parallels between Oskar and his grandfather are most striking. Both lost loved ones in devastating attacks; Thomas lost his ability to speak, while Oskar deliberately does not speak about his true feelings, and especially not about his secret with the phone. That they went together to the cemetery to resolve their feelings about Thomas Jr. was poetic.

Oskar's meeting with Mr. Black was very moving. One chose to not see his father until it was too late, the other will never have that choice.

I also loved the last thing we read from Oskar's grandmother, about how she never told her sister that she loved her, because she didn't think it was necessary, and then closed the letter to Oskar by telling him it's always necessary, and then, for what I believe was the first time, that she loved him.

All of it ties together so beautifully!

Felicia (feliciajoe) | 562 comments I litteraly just finished the book.

You were confused in the beginning? I was confused up until the end. I think I need to re-read it, in fact, just for everything to make sense. But I too was impressed by how everything tied together.

I was so excited when William Black finally told Charlie all about the key that we have been waiting the entire book to find out about. Even if it really had nothing to do with his father, I was satisfied. I had been so nervous that we wouldn't get the answers I was craving.

message 4: by Alicia (last edited Nov 21, 2014 04:58PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alicia | 167 comments Just finished. I really loved the last letter Thomas wrote to his son. I loved how gradually the lines became closer and closer together, so subtly at first that you don't even realize it's happening, until they are literally overlapping. Oskar's realization about and connection with his mother at the end was beautiful, and a perfect way to end the story. Oskar's grandmother was probably the most tragic figure in the story and I wish she could have found happiness. How did people feel about the ending? What do you make of Oskar's big secret? Did anyone else notice that his grandmother was never given a name? Why do you think that is?