2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
This topic is about Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close
ARCHIVE 2014 > Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close: Reviews by 2014 Reading Challengers

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kara (last edited Oct 26, 2014 05:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kara (karaayako) | 3978 comments Let us know what you thought about the book! Even if you read the book outside of this group, we'd love to hear what you thought.

Please make sure to mark your spoilers by typing "[spoiler]" at the start and [/spoiler] at the end but replacing the []s with <>s.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I had no idea what this book was about before I read it. I read it just because it seemed so popular. I was surprised when it turned out to be about (view spoiler) It was interesting and engaging -- definitely glad I read it!

Claire  (claire6452) | 713 comments I knew generally what it was about, but had no idea as to the details.

I found the multiple narratives a bit confusing at first, but by the end, everything was blended into a beautiful, smooth story. I really liked the characters. They are very well developed, especially the quirky ones. And the parallels between characters are stunning, yet believable.

I gave it 4 stars.

Felicia (feliciajoe) | 566 comments To be honest, I hadn't really reserached this book very much, and I wasn't sure what I was about to read. I quickly read through the description here on Goodreads when I decided to read it, but it didn't tell me very much. I had no real expectations for it.

The book is really good and really confusing. So many things are going on at the same time, even though they are going on years apart, and in addition to Oskar, the book's main narrator, two other people narrates too, and it gets confusing, especially when you can't figure out what is true and what is story. It's both realistic and unrealistic, funny and tragic, light and heavy.

You have to concentrate a lot, because it's so confusing. At then end, I think everything tied together, but I have a need to read it again, just to make sure. And also just to figure out what I actually think about it.

I really think it's worth read, because it seriously made a lot of my emotions come to the surface.

LyndiLea Hardman (LyndiLeaHardman) | 110 comments I have nothing but praise for this book! I have been reading a lot of horror books lately so I decided it was time for a break and I ended up choosing this book. I had never heard of the book or author before so I had no idea what I was getting myself into. The book focuses on 3 peoples lives, grandson Oskar and his grandmother and grandfather. Oskar is still emotionally recovering from his father's death in the twin towers on 9/11. His grandmother is still reeling from the abandonment by her husband many years before and the loss of her son. The grandfather is still dealing with the death of his first love during the bombing of Dresden, his guilt over abandoning his wife when she was pregnant, and now the death of a son he never knew. During these years of recovery Oskar must not only help himself but also his mother, grandmother, and even the grandfather he never knew existed. A very emotional story that thankfully didn't have me in tears! I loved the interweaving of the stories and hearing about events from different perspectives. I recommend this book to everyone, a must read, 5 out of 5 stars!

Alicia | 167 comments I thought the book was engaging, wonderfully written, and imaginative. All the main characters are coping with so much loss and sadness, each in their own way, while still trying to love and support each other. (view spoiler) There were some unusual style choices in the book, like the red pen taken to the letter or the last letter from father to son running out of room, that added a lot. Overall, I'd consider this pretty good. 4/5 stars.