Sci-Fi, fantasy and speculative Indie Authors Review discussion

The Betterreads Project > Stage 2: Books For Reviewing

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Richard (last edited Oct 29, 2014 03:59PM) (new)

Richard | 490 comments Mod
(Books which have survived the appraisal stage will be moved here and are available for reviewing).

message 2: by Richard (last edited Nov 02, 2014 06:19AM) (new)

message 4: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Ironside (julesanneironside) | 653 comments Mod
Brush with Darkness by Jamie Maltman is now up for review. It is currently on promotion for a few days so if you want to review this book, grab your copy now ;)

Will add link later when I make it to my laptop!

message 5: by Richard (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments OK, so anyone willing to review The Dark Colony, please send me a private message on here, I'll send you a pdf or epub.

message 6: by Kara (new)

Kara Jorgensen (karajorgensen) | 97 comments I'm going to do the same thing as Richard. Send me a message if you would like to review it, and I can send a mobi or pdf file for The Earl of Brass.

message 7: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Maltman (jamiemaltman) | 156 comments Mod
J. A. wrote: "Brush with Darkness by Jamie Maltman is now up for review. It is currently on promotion for a few days so if you want to review this book, grab your copy now ;)

Will add link later when I make it..."

Brush With Darkness (Arts Reborn, #1) by Jamie Maltman
http://www.amazon.com/Brush-With-Dark...

message 8: by Turhan (last edited Nov 02, 2014 02:49AM) (new)

Turhan Halil | 270 comments I'd like to review 'Robots Like Blue' https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

How do I get a copy, do I have to buy it, or does the author provide a mobi epub etc. Also what are the time limits for the reviewing process?

message 9: by Richard (last edited Nov 03, 2014 03:10PM) (new)

At the moment, Turhan, you direct message the author for a free copy - and the time limit on reviews (at your own suggestion) is now two months.

message 10: by J.A. (new)

Robots like Blue by Anthony J Deeney has recieved 5 thumbs up and is also up for review.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 11: by Anthony Deeney (last edited Nov 04, 2014 12:48PM) (new)

Anthony Deeney | 81 comments If anyone wants to review "Robots Like Blue," it is free on the kindle, on Wednesday 5th November. If you miss this date email me.

http://www.amazon.com/Robots-Like-Blu...

message 12: by Keith (new)

Keith Owens | 22 comments Just made a note to myself. Thanks Anthony.

message 13: by Keith (new)

Keith Owens | 22 comments J. A. wrote: "Robots like Blue by Anthony J Deeney has recieved 5 thumbs up and is also up for review.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2..."

Hey J.A. did you know this link goes to Harry Poter and the Order of the Phoenix? Not Robots like Blue? Thought you'd want to know.

message 14: by Keith (new)

Keith Owens | 22 comments Keith wrote: "J. A. wrote: "Robots like Blue by Anthony J Deeney has recieved 5 thumbs up and is also up for review.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2..."

Hey J.A. did you know this link goes to Harry Pot..."

I meant Harry Potter. Sorry...

message 15: by J.A. (new)

That is really bizarre since I copied the link!

message 16: by Keith (new)

Keith Owens | 22 comments That's better! Thanks much Jelena.

message 17: by Richard (last edited Nov 04, 2014 03:02PM) (new)

I've corrected it Jelena - for the second time in fact; I changed it to the 22616382 version yesterday evening! I'm beginning to wonder whether there's a problem with these book links since quite a few people seem to be having trouble with them.

message 18: by Richard (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments I've seen this in the past, complained to both Goodreads and Amazon, and the support dudes try it out, and it's fine. Some sort of intermittent problem.

message 19: by Jeno (new)

Jeno (jenomarz) | 52 comments Richard wrote: "I've corrected it Jelena - for the second time in fact; I changed it to the 22616382 version yesterday evening! I'm beginning to wonder whether there's a problem with these book links since quite a..."

I had had my links mysteriously switched to Harry Potter book a couple of times, so I get it. Ever since Amazon acquired Goodreads, they started fixing the system that wasn't broken. The result is this.

message 20: by Anthony Deeney (new)

Anthony Deeney | 81 comments J.K.Rowling Must love it! Wish the links would send you all to "Robots Like Blue!"

message 21: by Kara (new)

Kara Jorgensen (karajorgensen) | 97 comments The Earl of Brass is free today 11/9/14 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L...

message 22: by Richard (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments Not to be a whiner, but I'm not getting a lot of requests for review copies of The Dark Colony by Richard Penn - as I understand the process I can't put the sequel into appraisal until I get five reviews on the first one? I've only had one so far.

message 23: by Turhan (new)

Turhan Halil | 270 comments Richard 2060 wrote: "Not to be a whiner, but I'm not getting a lot of requests for review copies of The Dark Colony by Richard Penn - as I understand the process I can't put the sequel into appraisal until I get f..."

Hey Richard.

I'm not so sure that you or anyone for that matter will ever reach that magical number of reviews (obviously you, or others, might do) but I would assume that readers may or may not choose to read books that have gone through the appraisal process based on several factors. Reviewing books is a very organic process and can be influenced by just about anything. If it turns out that you don't get 5 reviews, at least you've had some great feedback about the blurb, cover and sample, plus the one review you mentioned.

Personally, if I ever get to the review stage, I'd be incredibly grateful that I even reached it! :)

BTW, where is that review posted?

message 24: by Richard (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments Hi Turhan. When I said I'd only had one, I meant I'd only been asked for one review copy. I have a couple of reviews on here, but I can't recall if they came out of this process. And you're right of course, I did get excellent feedback in the appraisal stage, improving both blurb and cover.

message 25: by Turhan (new)

Turhan Halil | 270 comments Richard 2060 wrote: "Hi Turhan. When I said I'd only had one, I meant I'd only been asked for one review copy. I have a couple of reviews on here, but I can't recall if they came out of this process. And you're right o..."

Ah, I see. I look forward to reading the review if the person that asked for it ends up posting it. It'll be nice to see the Bettereads Project achieving its purpose of helping indie authors produce stellar work.

message 26: by J.A. (new)

Don't be too put off by the number of review copies you get asked for, Richard. Some of us went and bought the book ;)

message 27: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 1213 comments Mod
And some of us will be buying books in December. Seriously, I've made the executive decision to devote the entire month to reading and knitting.

message 28: by Richard (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments Good for you all (not y'all, that's something else entirely) and thank you. I applaud the reading/knitting decision. If I spent less time on the crack cocaine of social media (twitter) I'd do more writing.

message 29: by J.A. (new)

My tired brain completely omitted the words 'of social media (twitter)' from that sentence on first reading it, Richard. That made me sit up lol

message 30: by K.P. (last edited Nov 19, 2014 01:45PM) (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 189 comments Richard 2060 wrote: "Not to be a whiner, but I'm not getting a lot of requests for review copies of The Dark Colony by Richard Penn - as I understand the process I can't put the sequel into appraisal until..."

I bought a hard copy back on the 3rd. If i had known you were giving review copies i would've saved 10$ :p

message 31: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) | 1213 comments Mod
J. A. wrote: "My tired brain completely omitted the words 'of social media (twitter)' from that sentence on first reading it, Richard. That made me sit up lol"

I first saw 'and' rather than 'of.' Had to do a double take.

message 32: by Richard (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments You'se guys are fabulous. Thanks. Hey, KP, I don't give out hard-copies, that actually costs me money. I'm a pensioner, you know...

message 33: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 189 comments Richard 2060 wrote: "You'se guys are fabulous. Thanks. Hey, KP, I don't give out hard-copies, that actually costs me money. I'm a pensioner, you know..."

I know; i was being facetuous. :)

message 34: by Hákon (new)

Hákon Gunnarsson | 283 comments A review of The Earl of Brass: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 36: by P.E. (new)

P.E. (eric2014) | 54 comments Here's my review for The Earl of Brass: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

(hopefully I did this correctly and the link works)

message 37: by Kara (new)

Kara Jorgensen (karajorgensen) | 97 comments Eric wrote: "Here's my review for The Earl of Brass: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

(hopefully I did this correctly and the link works)"

Thanks, Eric =) I wish Goodreads had half stars as well. It drives me crazy that I cannot give things, especially 3.5 or 4.5.

message 38: by P.E. (new)

P.E. (eric2014) | 54 comments I guess they have to draw the line. People like me would then say: "how about quarter stars or tenths of stars" and then where would we be?

message 39: by Kara (new)

Kara Jorgensen (karajorgensen) | 97 comments True, but half stars usually suffice for most people. Still though, I wish you could do that. Some books aren't a solid 4 or 5. I feel like half of what I read is a 3.5

message 40: by P.E. (new)

P.E. (eric2014) | 54 comments I agree. I always feel bad when I have to settle for the next lowest whole star. On the other hand, I don't feel like I'm being honest if I round up. Kinda anal, huh?

message 41: by Kara (new)

Kara Jorgensen (karajorgensen) | 97 comments I get what you mean. I don't like to give people 3s, so usually if I thought it was a 3.5, but I enjoyed it, I round to 5. If it was 3.5 and I dragged my heels through it, it gets a 3. That tends to be my train of thought. I only do that with 3s though. If it was a 4.5, it's usually a 4.

message 42: by P.E. (new)

P.E. (eric2014) | 54 comments That's a good way to do it. I think I'll steal your methodology. Thanks.

message 43: by Richard (new)

Silverblood Demons

Silverblood Demons (Daughters of Darkness #1) by Turhan Halil

book link:Silverblood Demons

message 44: by Turhan (new)

Turhan Halil | 270 comments Richard wrote: "Silverblood Demons

Silverblood Demons (Daughters of Darkness #1) by Turhan Halil

book link:Silverblood Demons"

I just created a mobi, epub, and a PDF for this. If anyone is considering reviewing it, please let me know, I will glady provide you with a copy :)

message 45: by Turhan (last edited Dec 20, 2014 05:30AM) (new)

Turhan Halil | 270 comments For anyone that is interested, my book titled Silverblood Demons (Daughters of Darkness #1) by Turhan Halil
will be available for free Dec 20th through Dec 24th at Amazon books.

message 46: by Richard (new)

My review of Lamikorda: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 47: by Richard (new)

Nica of Los Angeles

Nica of Los Angeles (Frames, #1) by Sue Perry

book link: Nica of Los Angeles

message 48: by Richard (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments Well, I'm up to four reviews now on The Dark Colony (assuming unfavourable reviews count), so there is light at the end of the tunnel :=)

message 49: by K. (new)

Caffee K. (kcaffee) | 461 comments Richard, you should have your fifth this weekend. I've got it open, just got slightly distracted yesterday getting a rash of reviews written on books I'd just finished.

message 50: by Richard (new)

Richard Penn (richardpenn) | 758 comments Thanks K. Mods, was there any limit on the star-ratings of reviews, for them to be counted? I got one where the reader really didn't like the book. Two stars.

« previous 1