Space Opera Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Previous BOTM Threads > [BOTM] - November nominations

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (last edited Oct 25, 2014 09:57AM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Greetings Space Opera Fans!

It's that time of the month where we nominate what books we'll read as a group during the month of November. The categories we have open this month are:

READER PICK - this is for a mass-market, widely available book that you can get at most libraries, bookstores, and for the e-book version, at least three (3) major ebook distribution platforms in a variety of formats.

INDIE PICK - this is our edgy, new voices category specifically for independently published books. This category is for indie books, indie collaboratives, and legacy authors who've gotten their rights back. This is your chance to help all the little guys out there, slogging through the Muad'dib desert, all alone without any help, by nominating their awesome edgy books. Ebook-only editions published by major publishing house sub-imprints are not allowed.

SERIES PICK - after 5 glorious Old Man's War books it's time to move on to a brand-new series. There must be at least three (3) books currently out in a series to be considered, the books must be available in both print and ebook on all major distribution platforms, and the first book in the series must have at least 100 reviews on Amazon and/or Goodreads with a rating of 4-star or above. Yes ... this means there are a few 'indie pros' who might meet these new criteria, but not many.

MOD PICK - and to round it all off, your Borg Queen will select a book at random that piques her interest. Might be one a lot of your nominated that didn't win the Randomizer. Might be something that just caught my eye. It will always be available on Nook, though, 'cause your Borg Queen owns a Nook and doesn't give the exclusivity ring to anybody but her Locutus. :-)

So drop your nomination in the comment thread below! Community members are allowed to nominate ONE book in EACH category (i.e., one reader, one indie, one series pick). Authors may nominate their own books -if- it fits the criteria. On November 1st, all books in each category will be tallied and then a winner picked using Random.org to pick a winner. May the force be with you!

Be epic!
Anna Erishkigal
SOF Borg Queen

message 2: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) For a SERIES PICK, may I suggest Jack McDevitt's Academy series starting with The Engines of God The Engines of God (The Academy, #1) by Jack McDevitt ? Or have we done those?

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol Natta (carol_vannatta) | 28 comments For an Indie pick, may I suggest my novel, Overload Flux (A Central Galactic Concordance Novel) ?
Overload Flux

message 4: by Tom (last edited Oct 25, 2014 10:55AM) (new)

Tom Mathews I nominate Ancillary Justice for Reader's pick and Leviathan Wakes, book 1 of the Expanse, for the series.

Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch, #1) by Ann Leckie Leviathan Wakes (Expanse, #1) by James S.A. Corey

message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve Haldeman | 2 comments Series pick: The Expanse series by James S. A. Corey

message 6: by Anna (last edited Oct 25, 2014 11:31AM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) Okay Kirsten, Carol, Tom & Steve ... got your nominations! We have not under my tenure done Engines of God, Kirsten, so I put it in my spreadsheet.

message 7: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Cuti | 7 comments Moonie and the Spider Queen by Nicola Cuti Moonie is sexy and can live in outer space without any life support. Her adventures make Barbarella seem like Snow White.I nominate her for the Indie Pick.

message 8: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Thanks, Anna! My dad loved the series and always insisted I read it. I've read the first 3 and would love to read more. It's so sad that my daddy will never insist I read another science fiction or war book again. (We lost him August of last year. Cancer is bad!) Unless, of course, if his ghost starts throwing books at me in the local used bookstore.

message 9: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Goldin (stephengoldin) | 114 comments For series, I'll recommend Elizabeth Moons VATTA'S WAR pentalogy.

Can I list my The Eternity Brigade Final Edition by Stephen Goldin The Eternity Brigade: Final Edition for READER PICK, since it was traditionally published?

And I'd like to suggest Scavenger Hunt by Stephen Goldin Scavenger Hunt for INDIE PICK.

message 10: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) For a readers' pick I'd like to suggest The Stainless Steel Rat The Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4) by Harry Harrison by Harry Harrison

message 11: by Martin (new)

Martin Milhomme | 1 comments I would recommend House Of Suns by Alastair Reynolds.
Readers' pick.

message 12: by T.D. (new)

T.D. Wilson (tdwilson) | 9 comments Indie Pick: My Other Car is a Spaceship

Series pick The Star Force Series by B.V. Larson

Reader Pick: Darth Plagueis

message 13: by James (new)

James Bisceglia | 19 comments I would like to nominate my recently released novel Ancient Treasure for the indie pick.

Ancient Treasure

message 14: by Rion (new)

Rion  (orion1) | 108 comments Reader Pick: Cyteen (Cyteen #1-3) by C.J. Cherryh

message 15: by EJ (new)

EJ Fisch (ejfisch) | 117 comments I'll nominate my own novel Dakiti Dakiti (Ziva Payvan, #1) by E.J. Fisch for the indie pick!

message 16: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Mason I recommend A Hero for the Empire for indie pick

A Hero for the Empire (The Dragon's Bidding, #1) by Christina Westcott

message 17: by Packi (new)

Packi | 106 comments I nominate House of Suns as reader pick, and A Fire Upon the Deep as series pick.

message 18: by Conal (new)

Conal (conalo) | 143 comments I nominate Fluency by Jennifer Foehner Wells for indie pick and
Splinter of the Mind's Eye by Alan Dean Foster for reader pick

message 19: by T.D. (new)

T.D. Wilson (tdwilson) | 9 comments There's one I haven't heard in a while. I remember reading Splinter of the Mind's Eye when in first came out. Wasn't it supposed to happen between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back? The timeline was wrong since Vader and Luke didn't meet until later.

message 20: by Les (new)

Les | 53 comments My nomination for Reader pick is The Abyss Beyond Dreams by Peter F. Hamilton
The Abyss Beyond Dreams A Novel of the Commonwealth by Peter F. Hamilton

message 21: by Conal (new)

Conal (conalo) | 143 comments T.D. wrote: "There's one I haven't heard in a while. I remember reading Splinter of the Mind's Eye when in first came out. Wasn't it supposed to happen between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back?..."

I read this about the same time frame you did so details are not real crystal clear (though looking forward to reading it again at some point). Synopsis shows that you have the correct time line. Foster also ghost wrote the movie novelization for A New Hope and this was written as a story line for a lower budget second movie if the Star War IV was not a success. This didn't happen and this novel became the 1st ever book published in the extended universe.

message 22: by Reg (new)

Reg Davey (regdavey) | 4 comments Indie pick - Zero: An Orbit Novel by J.S. Collyer.

message 23: by Pete (new)

Pete Cruickshank | 26 comments series pick — I'd like to nominate 'In her name name - First Contact' by Michael R Hicks

Indie pick - 'The Kinsmen book 1: Between gods and Mortals' by Pete Cruickshank

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I would also like to nominate The Engines of God for series pick.

message 25: by Valery (new)

Valery (valerygolsen) | 2 comments Indie pick- Last of the Chosen by Lawrence P White; http://www.amazon.com/Last-Chosen-Spi...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.