Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Gabaldon, Diana ; Outlander ; Informal Buddy Read ; Start Date November 17,2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 232 (232 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Oct 25, 2014 02:13AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30835 comments Mod

BE PREPARED FOR SPOILERS

What is a buddy read?

About this Buddy Read
An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book

Synopsis
The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is just back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach—an “outlander”—in a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.

Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into the intrigues of lairds and spies that may threaten her life, and shatter her heart. For here James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, shows her a love so absolute that Claire becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire—and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.(less)

NOTE: This book was read as a buddy read in 2012. The thread for that discussion is here

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30835 comments Mod
reserved

message 3: by Anita Reads (new)

Anita Reads | 1677 comments Great thank you.

message 4: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14256 comments Mod
Oh, I really want to read this and I've had it on my kindle for *forever*, but I can't get to it in November. I'll have to jump in later

message 5: by Sanskriti (new)

Sanskriti Nagar | 278 comments Me wants in on this.

message 6: by Greta (new)

Greta | 1459 comments Yes, thank you!!

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Yay!

message 8: by Clare (new)

Clare Butler | 294 comments is it called Cross Stitch in UK?

message 9: by Missy (new)

Missy (miseliz) Have this one on my nook - think I will give it a try!

message 10: by Joi (new)

Joi | 663 comments Yayyyy. I can't wait to start this book.

message 11: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1592 comments Clare wrote: "is it called Cross Stitch in UK?"

Yes it is

message 12: by James (new)

James (theadventurousbookreader) | 147 comments Yeah! I am so excited to read this book with you guys.

message 13: by Ange (new)

Ange (bentleyrise) | 484 comments My mums fav series and has been trying to get me to read forever, so I'm in ... Then I'll be able watch the TV series after :)

message 14: by Anita Reads (new)

Anita Reads | 1677 comments That's what I'm thinking too Ange:) I'll be watching the TV series after reading the books.

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3040 comments I have wanted to read this forever! I'll add this to my November list.

message 16: by Greta (new)

Greta | 1459 comments Will some of you want to continue with the series after we finish Outlander?

message 17: by jingles (new)

jingles I would love to join you guys for this one if that's okay.

I've read part of the series but it's been so long ago I think I've forgotten everything but Jamie. Lol

message 18: by Taryn (new)

Taryn | 554 comments Greta wrote: "Will some of you want to continue with the series after we finish Outlander?"

Yes definitely! One of my really good friends swears by this series, and I wouldn't feel right without just completing it lol

message 19: by Ange (new)

Ange (bentleyrise) | 484 comments I'd like to continue as well

message 20: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Ugh I am still waiting for my hold from the library. I think with the new Outlander show, everyone ran out and checked out the book.

message 21: by Taryn (new)

Taryn | 554 comments RebeccaS wrote: "Ugh I am still waiting for my hold from the library. I think with the new Outlander show, everyone ran out and checked out the book."

Yes, they definitely did. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just buy it.

message 22: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Taryn wrote "Yes, they definitely did. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just buy it. "

Me too. Atleast the kindle edition is only $4.99

message 23: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Does anyone know if this is available on Audible? I can sign up for a free 30 day trial and listen from there if it is.

message 24: by Taryn (new)

Taryn | 554 comments RebeccaS wrote: "Does anyone know if this is available on Audible? I can sign up for a free 30 day trial and listen from there if it is."

I'ms sure it must be. We start soon!

message 25: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Just got my copy from the library. Finally and just in time!

message 26: by jingles (new)

jingles RebeccaS wrote: "Does anyone know if this is available on Audible? I can sign up for a free 30 day trial and listen from there if it is."

Yes Rebecca it is. And...the narrator - Davina Porter, is absolutely fantastic!

message 27: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments Ooh I love Davina Porter! She narrates the Isabel Delhousie series that I love. I just got the audiobook from the library so I'm excited to start.

message 28: by jingles (last edited Nov 15, 2014 04:37PM) (new)

jingles That is so awesome, Rebecca. You are going to love it, I think.

She is just such an awesome narrator. Combine that with a great story, and it's a win win situation.

I will probably use the Kindle version this time, but I may use the audio with it, and just let Davina read me a story :)

I'm so excited to get started.

message 29: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1592 comments Can't wait to start too. Any idea how many pages a day you will want to read?

message 30: by Taryn (new)

Taryn | 554 comments We can set up a little schedule if guys want to. So we can put break days in between, etc. like BOM.

message 31: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1592 comments I like idea of schedule gets me to be more accountable to getting finished.

message 32: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1592 comments I like idea of schedule gets me to be more accountable to getting finished.

message 33: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14256 comments Mod
There is a book breakdown on the old BR thread for this book if you want to use it:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 34: by James (new)

James (theadventurousbookreader) | 147 comments Taryn wrote: "We can set up a little schedule if guys want to. So we can put break days in between, etc. like BOM."

I would be so happy for a book schedule, since this book is really huge.

message 35: by Taryn (new)

Taryn | 554 comments So it looks like they averaged ~75-80 pages a day. We could do the same, except maybe have a break day in the middle?

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I kind of want to join but I doubt I'd be able to read along because of school but would it be okay if I sort of sneak in near the end?

message 37: by Taryn (new)

Taryn | 554 comments Here is something tentative...you guys let me know what you think:

Outlander Schedule
Dates indicate the day the pages are due.

November 18th: Chapters 1-5 (All of Part I)

November 19th: Chapters 6-10 (All of Part II)

November 20th: Chapters 11-16 (Beginning of Part III)

November 21st: Chapters 17-21 (Rest of Part III)

November 22nd: Day of Rest, no pages due

November 23rd: Chapters 24-25 (Part IV)

November 24th: Chapters 26-33 (Part V)

November 25th: Chapters 34-36 (Part VI and beginning of Part VII)

November 26th: Chapters 37-41 (Rest of Part VII)

We would be finished right before Thanksgiving! I realized that the schedule you put up is exactly the same lol Well...guess that means it's doable. What do you guys think?

message 38: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments I think this should work for me. I have the audiobook and will be listening throughout the day, so my pages may vary from fay to day based on how much time I have to listen, but I'll try to stick!

message 39: by Taryn (new)

Taryn | 554 comments RebeccaS wrote: "I think this should work for me. I have the audiobook and will be listening throughout the day, so my pages may vary from fay to day based on how much time I have to listen, but I'll try to stick!"

The rest day is a Saturday, so I thought it might be easier for people to catch up on that day rather than any other. Because I have a feeling I might fall behind a little too.

message 40: by Greta (new)

Greta | 1459 comments Looks fine to me!!

message 41: by James (new)

James (theadventurousbookreader) | 147 comments I like the schedule a lot and I will try my best to be with the reading schedule, but I might be behind a little bit.

message 42: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1592 comments I will try to keep up but I have a few other reads going on so I might stretch it out to end on Nov 30.

message 43: by jingles (new)

jingles Looks good. I'm anxious to get started.

message 44: by Ange (new)

Ange (bentleyrise) | 484 comments Time to start reading :)

message 45: by Shan ~A~ (new)

Shan ~A~ (thebookglutton) | 696 comments So many people have recommended this book. I guess it's time to see what all the hypes about.

message 46: by Anita Reads (new)

Anita Reads | 1677 comments A schedule looks good. I don't know if I'll be able to start it today as I have an audio to finish. I only have 4 hours left on that audio, so I might listen to the last bit at work today.

message 47: by Joi (new)

Joi | 663 comments Oh yessss. I'm so ready.!

message 48: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (rebeccasg) | 3321 comments I am hoping to start today! I need to find a stupid AAA battery so I can listen using this play-away thing from the library. Grrr

message 49: by Shan ~A~ (new)

Shan ~A~ (thebookglutton) | 696 comments I'm starting later today.

message 50: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (countessmom) | 4087 comments Schedule looks great!

I started this morning.

« previous 1 3 4 5