Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Outlander (Outlander, #1)
This topic is about Outlander
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Gabaldon, Diana - Outlander (Buddy Read) Start Date: 5 March (Australia); March 4th (USA) 2012

Comments Showing 1-50 of 700 (700 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

message 1: by Lisa Kay (last edited Feb 26, 2012 03:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments description Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon

The year is 1945. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon--when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach--an "outlander"--in a Scotland torn by war and raiding Highland clans in the year of Our Lord...1743.

Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into intrigues and dangers that may threaten her life...and shatter her heart. For here she meets James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, and becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire...and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀

Jill is planning a "Buddy Read" of the first in the epic Outlander series. Start date set for sometime in March, 2012.

EXPECT SPOILERS!

Feel free to join her. She and others will be posting discussion questions. You can volunteer to post some, just chose to answer (some or all), or even stop by to say "Hi!"

Preposed:
Start Date Sunday 4 March

Sunday 4 March
Part 1 Ch 1-5 (71 pgs)

Monday 5 March
Part 2 Ch 6-10 (70 pgs)

Tuesday 6 March
Part 3 Ch 11-16 (84 pgs)

Wednesday 7 March
Part 3 Ch 17-23 (91 pgs)

Thursday 8 March
Part 4 Ch 24-25 (90 pgs)

Friday 9 March
Part 5 Ch 26-33 (80 pgs)

Saturday 10 March
Part 6 Ch 34
Part 7 Ch 35-36 (64 pgs)

Sunday 11 March
Part 7 Ch 37-41 (65 pgs)

Participants So Far
Jill - Australia
Vi - Singapore
Lisarenee - Florida, USA
Tracy - Connecticut, USA
Sashana - Florida, USA
Wendy - Australia
Carrie
Anna - Arizona, USA
Jayne - Australia
Sandi - Ontario, Canada
Candace - Arizona, U.S.A.
Tai the Lioness - U.S.A.
KatLynne - U.S.A.
Baba - Switzerland
AnneOK - U.S.A.
Zina - Alberta, Canada

Lurkers
Mimi - Serbia
Karla - New Jersey, USA
Searock - California, USA
Midsummer - Singapore
Leslie - U.S.A.
Kristen - U.S.A.
Sandy - Minnesota, U.S.A.
Niq - The World at Large
DreamingofWrath - U.S.A.
- Texas, USA
Lisa Kay - U.S.A.

message 2: by Lisa Kay (last edited Feb 21, 2012 09:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Alas, there is nothing titillating under this first spoiler. This “buddy read” has changed to informal; therefore, these Discussion Questions will not be used…unless you want them as a point of reference. ☺

(view spoiler)
39b) How do you think he could have addressed her nerves
         differently?
39c) Jamie tells Claire: (view spoiler)Well, do ye?

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Reserved.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Reserved.

message 5: by Vi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vi | 1421 comments Cool! I'm in. I've wanted to read this for a while now.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Great, Vi! I put you on the list. ☺

Jill Thanks for setting this up Lisa Kay.
I'll get more details to you as soon as I can.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Sure, Jill! Wink Pictures, Images and Photos

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 54 comments How is this working Jill..a few chapters every month?Ive been wanting to re-read this,but I also have some others to finish up.

message 10: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "How is this working Jill..a few chapters every month?Ive been wanting to re-read this,but I also have some others to finish up."

Hi Sandi. No, it'll be a few chapters every day. I'm just now in the process of working out the number of chapters that might suit.

Tentative starting date is Sunday 4 March.

Hope you can join us Sandi!

message 11: by Vi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vi | 1421 comments Ohh, 4th March is the start date? Can we change the date to 9th March? I've got another chunky starting 5th March and I don't want two chunkies together..

message 12: by Lisa Kay (last edited Feb 20, 2012 03:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments I'm not in this one, so this is just a suggestion, but how about three chapters every other day? The chapters are pretty long, if I remember. That way, people can average like one and a half a day.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 54 comments Jill wrote: "Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "How is this working Jill..a few chapters every month?Ive been wanting to re-read this,but I also have some others to finish up."

Hi Sandi. No, it'll be a few cha..."

Im going to try and fit this in Jill..will you be reading the rest as well?

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 54 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "I'm not in this one, so this is just a suggestion, but how about three chapters every other day? The chapters are pretty long, if I remember. That way, people can average like one and a half a day."

I like that idea Lisa Kay..then one who is behind or reading others can catch up.

message 15: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill @ Vi
See what we can do. If this is going to take longer that I'd expected we might be able to rearrange dates.

message 16: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Lisa Kay wrote: "I'm not in this one, so this is just a suggestion, but how about three chapters every other day? The chapters are pretty long, if I remember. That way, people can average like one and a half a day."

@ Lisa Kay
Is that what was proposed before when Outlander was suggested as a buddy-read? It just means that it'll take approx 4 weeks to finish the book at that rate.

Mind you, if that's what everyone's happy with, I'm easy. But I'll see what others think first.

message 17: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "Jill wrote: "Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "How is this working Jill..a few chapters every month?Ive been wanting to re-read this,but I also have some others to finish up."

Hi Sandi. No, it'..."

@ Sandi
Love you to join us if you can Sandi.
<>
Do you mean the rest of the series Sandi? If so, no not at this stage. Only Outlander for now.

message 18: by Vi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vi | 1421 comments Um, if we're doing the every other day thing, then maybe we could increase the number of chapters? 4 weeks seems too long a time to read a book..

message 19: by Lisa Kay (last edited Feb 20, 2012 05:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments I think the other group was two chapters a day; but no one could keep up and the group disbanded. Granted, there were not a lot of fast readers in that group (but there were some). And this book isn't what I would call a "fast read".

EDIT: Sorry, my mistake. They did three chapters a day.

message 20: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Vi wrote: "Um, if we're doing the every other day thing, then maybe we could increase the number of chapters? 4 weeks seems too long a time to read a book.."

Have to agree Vi. I read pretty fast. But was going to 'slow' this down to about 4-5 chapters/day for everyone. LOL!

What could you reasonably manage per day? And are you slow/medium/fast reader?

message 21: by Vi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vi | 1421 comments I'm a fast reader - I could manage say, 100 pages a day without any difficulty.

message 22: by Vi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vi | 1421 comments Though I have to mention that if I'm too into the book, I tend to read ahead. I'm not acquainted well moderation or control. :|

message 23: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill @ Vi
I was thinking around 70-80 pages per day which works out around 5 chps per day. At that rate it would be read over 8 days. Looks like you'd be okay with that.

I'm waiting to see what one of the slower readers can manage. Then I'll get back with a firm date and number pages/chapters. Okay?

message 24: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill @ Sandi
Could you manage 70-80 pages per day??

message 25: by Vi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vi | 1421 comments Jill, yes, I'd be ok with that. My library has the ebook and I'm already on the waiting list. Hopefully I'll get it in time!

message 26: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Okay then Vi, I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

message 27: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I got this from Amazon free a while back. I'm in.Let me know the start date.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments That's all I've got as far as DQs, ladies. At about 629 pages, it should be enough to get you started.

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Sandi, I made you a participant; let me know if you want to change to lurker. ☺

Tracy (tracyisreading) Hi- just joined. Outlanders is on my favorites list. I've read the whole series and the first book twice. I'm home on maternity leave and just started " reading" again on audio... Would love to join the discussion.

message 31: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I'm in! I was just talking with Niq about this book yesterday and I already requested it from my library. How come you guys already have questions?

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Added you, Tracy! Is that your newborn in your avatar? Sweet! ☺

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Added you too, Sashana! Those are from another "buddy read" - but that is all I have. The rest of the DQs are up to you all. Posted them now b/c my life is every changing. ☺

Tracy (tracyisreading) Lisa Kay wrote: "Added you, Tracy! Is that your newborn in your avatar? Sweet! ☺"

Thanks, that is my newbie...her name is Kalley Madison. She's 8 weeks old now. Her " big sister" Zoey Carmella is 22 mos. That explains the audio book... Otherwise I could never join in LOL...

message 35: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill @ Vi
Outlander is going to take around 8 days to read. I'd planned on the 4th or 5th March to start as I'll be unavailable the week after. (Due to work). I've tried to shift things around in my work schedule but I'm going to be tied up from around the 13th through to the end of March.

Sorry if this doesn't suit. Please let me know if you're still able to join us. Hope so!

message 36: by Sashana (new)

Sashana How many pages will we read per day?

message 37: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Sashana wrote: "How many pages will we read per day?"

@ Sashana
Average 80 pages. That'll be over 8 days. May be too slow for some, too fast for others. But I think it's about an average most should manage.

I'll have the details up a little later.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 54 comments @ Jill..Im a slow reader :( well getting home late from work then dinner then other stuff to do..that leaves 1-2 hours if I dont fall asleep! But I can try for 80..90 maybe,just wish there were more hours in the day..

@ Lisa Kay..I cant "lurk" its been since 1991 since I read this..so Ive forgotten alot...III try to keep up,and avoid any spoilers :)

message 39: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill @ Sandi
I know it's a bit of a commitment but she's a big 'un. Hope you can read it with us Sandi.
And btw, you must have read it in its first year of release in 1991.

message 40: by Vi (last edited Feb 20, 2012 07:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vi | 1421 comments Hi Jill! It's ok, I'll manage the two BR somehow. Might lag a bit in either one but that's fine. I like BRing the big ones. It's more fun.

Sandi, would you be joining the Symphony of Ages, book #2 - Prophecy buddy read too?

message 41: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I'm also a slow reader but I'll try to keep up.

message 42: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Vi wrote: "Hi Jill! It's ok, I'll manage the two BR somehow. Might lag a bit in either one but that's fine. I like BRing the big ones. It's more fun.

Sandi, would you be joining the Symphony of Ages, book #2..."

@ Vi
Thanks! Glad you're joining us!

@ Sashana
That's great! I do realise it's going to be a little bit difficult for some readers. But appreciate that you'll be there.

message 43: by Jill (last edited Feb 20, 2012 09:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill @ Lisa Kay
Please add the following names -

Participants:
Wendy
Midsummer
Carrie
Anna

Lurkers:
Mimi
Karla
Searock
Jayne

Thanks.

message 44: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill @ Everyone

Originally I was going to do a buddy-read with a few readers who were a little daunted by the size of Outlander and who aren't keen on answering/writing questions. But who wanted to read with some friends and just casually discuss things at the end of the set number of chapters each day.

Does anyone have any objection to the buddy-read being a bit more informal and without so many set questions? Perhaps just a question or two to start a discussion.

Please let me know.

Start Date Sunday 4 March

Sunday 4 March
Part 1 Ch 1-5 (71 pgs)

Monday 5 March
Part 2 Ch 6-10 (70 pgs)

Tuesday 6 March
Part 3 Ch 11-16 (84 pgs)

Wednesday 7 March
Part 3 Ch 17-23 (91 pgs)

Thursday 8 March
Part 4 Ch 24-25 (90 pgs)

Friday 9 March
Part 5 Ch 26-33 (80 pgs)

Saturday 10 March
Part 6 Ch 34
Part 7 Ch 35-36 (64 pgs)

Sunday 11 March
Part 7 Ch 37-41 (65 pgs)

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Hello everyone! There are many rave reviews for Outlander and a buddy read seems like a fun way to finally approach it.

I'm a fast reader. (Will probably read ahead to make time for a book releasing on the 6th.) Can't wait to see what the fuss is about Jamie. :)

Searock Yay. Totally looking forward to this :)
Favorite book ever!

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) @Jill...informal is good. Seeing all the buddy read questions was overwhelming. I still remember all the work that went into the KA reading q&a.

message 48: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill @ Anna
Good to see you here.
<> Thanks Anna. I know a couple of ladies really were a little worried about questions, etc. And yeah, SD was fun but a bit of work.

message 49: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Searock wrote: "Yay. Totally looking forward to this :)
Favorite book ever!"

@ Searock
Great to see you SR!

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 15159 comments Jill wrote: "@ Lisa Kay
Please add the following names"

I think I got them all, and with all the correct hyperlinks to their profiles. LMK if I messed up.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14