What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Can't find Fantasy novel-Woman finds another world through a cottage garden. [s]

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (pyjamapanda) | 8 comments Some time ago I read a modern fantasy novel about a young woman who reads a book and falls in love with one of the characters. It's hard to remember many of the details, but I do recall that there was a garden behind the house/cottage that had some kind of gate into the book's world. The character she falls in love with is an elf, if I'm not mistaken. I THINK she worked for some kind of publishing company, too. I wish I could explain more, but it's been so long since I've read it. Any ideas?

message 2: by Julia (new)

Julia (mizzelle) | 34 comments How long ago? Five years or twenty? Any idea of the time frame? Was the book written for children or adults?

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (pyjamapanda) | 8 comments I think it was meant to be a young adult novel. I read it in high school, but am not sure of the publication date, so I'll say somewhere between 15-20 years old at my best guess.

message 4: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 186 comments What year did you read it?

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (pyjamapanda) | 8 comments I'm pretty sure I borrowed it from the library (one I no longer live near)-- it must have been sometime between 2000-2002.

message 6: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia | 186 comments If you remember the library you can probably find an online catalog of the books they have :)

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (pyjamapanda) | 8 comments Yeah, it's a lot of books to try and scroll through. I am even having a hard time remembering what the cover looked like. It's very rare that I forget the title of a book I've read, but this one has certainly managed to escape me.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39280 comments Mod
Amanda, Provide a brief description of your book in the subject line, as opposed to something vague like "Help!" or "Can't Remember This Book" and you will be more likely to catch the eye of someone familiar with your book.

message 9: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35119 comments Mod
Tinker by Wen Spencer?

Amanda, does most of the story take place in our world or the elf's world?
Is there a big crisis or conflict, or is this mostly about the romance?

message 10: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (pyjamapanda) | 8 comments Tinker- It seems to be kind of half and half. There is a conflict, I do remember that much- the romance happens, and I DO remember that at the end of the story the woman thinks the gate to the other world is closed..and then the elf/prince..guy.. shows up at the cottage.

message 11: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (pyjamapanda) | 8 comments I also remember that this is a standalone book! It's not part of a series, and I'm fairly certain it had to have been published before the year I'd read it-- it wasn't a new release. It also may not have been in the young adult section and have just been fantasy fiction.

message 12: by kvon (new)

kvon | 56 comments How about Stealing the Elf-King's Roses by Diane Duane? I remember she's an attorney working a murder, and they end up behind the elf-king's house. I think I need to reread it.

message 13: by Kagama-the Literaturevixen (last edited Oct 26, 2014 10:56AM) (new)

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 602 comments Eccentric Circles has this happen to the main character. It could be that one?

She inherits a cottage from her grandmother along with some magical responsibility.

message 14: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (pyjamapanda) | 8 comments OMG It is Eccentric Circles!!! Oh my gosh, I'm almost in tears right now I'm so happy! Thank you so much!!

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 602 comments Amanda wrote: "OMG It is Eccentric Circles!!! Oh my gosh, I'm almost in tears right now I'm so happy! Thank you so much!!"

Youre welcome. I am happy I was able to help out :)))

message 16: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (pyjamapanda) | 8 comments Kagama-the Literaturevixen wrote: "Amanda wrote: "OMG It is Eccentric Circles!!! Oh my gosh, I'm almost in tears right now I'm so happy! Thank you so much!!"

Youre welcome. I am happy I was able to help out :)))"

I'm going to be getting the kindle edition tonight! It might not be as good as I remember it, but the fact that it's been found is somehow quite relaxing. Thank you, again!