A Good Thriller discussion

Members - Please Read > An Important Message To Members Of A Good Thriller

Comments Showing 1-50 of 118 (118 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Janet , Moderator (last edited Oct 25, 2014 09:50AM) (new)

Janet  | 5670 comments Mod
Dear Members

As you know this is a friendly, inclusive and fun group that I know Sean has worked hard to build and is enormously proud of. We, as moderators, in turn, strive for this to continue.

With this in mind we thought it would be a good idea to remind everyone of the rules that are set out in place.

Please feel free to get involved in discussions, debate/chat to your hearts' content, it's what we want! But at all times:

Be courteous, respectful, mindful of other members' feelings, kind, considerate, friendly. However, please bear in mind that EVERYONE is entitled to an opinion, whether it is shared with yourself or not, it is still an opinion and important to that individual. Differences are what makes anything and everything interesting and are to be celebrated widely.

Any name calling, swearing or general disrespect will not be tolerated.

We welcome your membership wholeheartedly and value your participation greatly.

Please help us in making this group one of the best on Goodreads. With your help we're sure this can be achieved.

Thanking you all in anticipation.

A Good Thriller

message 2: by Terri Wino (new)

Terri Wino (terriwino) | 2367 comments Bravo!
I won't call you names anymore. LOL! ;)

message 3: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 9 comments This may be a great group but you are turning me off with all the messages maybe a digest is better way to go because 8 messages in less than a week is too many.

message 4: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Sean Peters | 9130 comments Mod
We do not usually send many messages at all.

But due to the end of the month and the Book Pal and I have been doing my best to sort out all the Q & A authors for the next 3-4 months and BOTM.

I have from one group I am a member of at least 8-10 messages a week, every week, some full of rubbish !

We do our best not to send many I promise!

David's special price book was the main reason for tonight message and deadline today.

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin | 172 comments Hey Sean mate, just like to say although I'm a recent member of the group, I can all ready see that you and all the moderators are doing a great job. Glad to be part of the group.

message 6: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Thanks, it means a lot.

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin | 172 comments I would find it so hard to do your job. I'd let everything go down hill. I'm too lazy to do anything else.

message 8: by Cristal (new)

Cristal Punnett | 87 comments Thanks for the message about David's book, have just ordered at the special price:-)

message 9: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Sadly as moderators we are trying to keep everybody happy a difficult job.

My message to the whole group last night was for the reason above Cristal, but I had two PM of compliant as we have sent out 8-9 group messages in one week.

But had 30-40 messages of support. But look at the membership, due to group messages we have lost 8-10 members, although had new members the last three days.

We our just trying our best for you the members and I personally saddened when members leave many that I have invited.

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin | 172 comments I can safely say that I probably participate and read through comments in this group more than any other.

message 11: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) I have to agree with MissSusie, I don't mind informative messages abour various things going on but the book pal's messages are getting to much

message 12: by Gerard (new)

Gerard Oconnell | 33 comments i think you are doing a great job sean.

message 13: by Carol (new)

Carol Jones (carolmckeejones) | 4 comments I enjoy being able to engage with the group, makes me feel more part of it. I'm relaxed about the emails - I can tell if they're roughly the same subject so it's not a problem.
Terrific group - thanks Sean

message 14: by Sean, Moderator (new)

thanks a lot

message 15: by Janet , Moderator (new)

We are mindful of the private messages that go out. Book Pals is once a month over the course of a week. The idea is to catch everybody because not everyone checks in on GR everyday and certainly not every thread is looked at by everyone at any one time. Perfectly understandable, we all have busy lives!

As far as I know a group of people (ie Book Pals) cannot be messaged as a collective, it doesn't work like email, it would have to be done on an individual basis. That would be a massively time consuming exercise for anyone.

So, what I can say is that we appreciate your support, patience and understanding and hope you continue to enjoy the group.

message 16: by Lavada (new)

Lavada (kraftyvada) | 502 comments I think great job. I dont mind messages. I have them set for daily and you have the opportunity to turn off. as for the book buddies it is only to remind people and I appreciate it.

message 17: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) I was not criticising the group in anyway and I really don't want to leave because of the messages I'll guess I'll have to disable the messages but then I miss out on what's going on, but 5 messages in 5 days just for book pals is too much

message 18: by Janet , Moderator (new)

I understand and appreciate that Rhian, however I can only reiterate what Sean has said. Keeping EVERYONE happy is an impossibly difficult task and one that is probably, sadly, unachievable. We're realistic about that.

We're just trying to do the best we can with what we have and hope that most enjoy what's being done. :)

message 19: by Sean, Moderator (last edited Oct 30, 2014 06:59AM) (new)

Rhian sadly Miss Susie did leave!

Did not stay to even read my reply.

You can set your settings differently for each group

message 20: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Thanks DianeAlice

I am pleased we are doing something right, we do all try our best for you the members.

Thanks for the support

And also the many PM of support from many members

message 21: by Ty (new)

Ty Patterson | 542 comments i don't see the big deal about private messages.

the subject is evident and the reader has the option to not read!

message 22: by Ty (new)

Ty Patterson | 542 comments what should be better done is archiving of old threads.

no one likes scrolling down and i think anything over two months should be archived.

message 23: by Janet , Moderator (new)

DianeAlice wrote: "I don't mind the messages, after all if you can see immediately that you're not interested in them you can just delete them. This was an unusual week for so a lot of messages, we don't normally ge..."

Thanks, DA! You know I luv ya!! ;)

message 24: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Ty wrote: "what should be better done is archiving of old threads.

no one likes scrolling down and i think anything over two months should be archived."

Three months is the timescale that I now give to threads then they get archived.

message 25: by Malia (new)

Malia (calypso007) | 27 comments Janet wrote: "We are mindful of the private messages that go out. Book Pals is once a month over the course of a week. The idea is to catch everybody because not everyone checks in on GR everyday and certainly n..."

I don't really mind them. I'm sure it's tough to keep a balance of informing everyone, but not overloading.

message 26: by Janet , Moderator (new)

It is that, Malia, thanks for saying! :)

message 27: by L.E. (new)

L.E. Fraser | 70 comments I moderated a group in LinkedIn once. It was an incredible amount of work and I had to bow out. I truly appreciate all the effort and time that the moderators of this group put into running an informative and fun discussion forum. Thank you.

message 28: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments I love this group; the mods and the nice people I have made friends with over time.

message 29: by Janet , Moderator (new)

That's exactly what we're aiming for, the family, comfortable feel. Thanks so much for your kind comments. :)

Makes it worthwhile!

message 30: by Ter'e (new)

Ter'e Crow Lindsay (terecrow) | 1047 comments Sean wrote: "thanks a lot"

Sean,
Theres those of us who love all of you!!! And appreciate all of you. You can't please all of the people, all of the time.

For me, I am pleased 99.99% of the time!!!!
I can't thank you enough, for brightening my day.

message 31: by Sean, Moderator (new)

A Great family and friendly, fun feel.

message 32: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments Me, too.

message 33: by Ter'e (new)

Ter'e Crow Lindsay (terecrow) | 1047 comments Skye Skye..........for sure...........you too!!!!

message 34: by Marian (new)

Marian | 968 comments Me to:)

message 35: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments Group huggies---where are Sue and big momma Chris?

message 36: by Jay (new)

Jay | 2 comments I'm very glad to have found this group
i am new to good read so i need to learn a lot ..
any help will help ..
thanks in advance

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura Poppins You're doing a great job guys! Thank you all for that! It is an amazing group and I am glad I am in it!

message 38: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Jay, any questions just ask away, and please do go to introduce yourself page, you will get's lots of welcomes.

Laura, thanks and pleased you are happy here, let your friends know.

message 39: by Robin (new)

Robin Roughley (robroughley) | 4 comments H I am new to the group and to be honest I am not quite sure how this works, any advice would be great.
Rob Roughley

message 40: by Aymen (new)

Aymen Ben cheikh Keep calm and have fun :)

message 41: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Ron, go to the please introduce yourself page, and just go to the latest threads and tell us a little about yourself.

message 42: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments Hi Rob and welcome to this nice group.

message 43: by Robin (new)

Robin Roughley (robroughley) | 4 comments Skye wrote: "Hi Rob and welcome to this nice group."

Thanks Skye, any pointers on how to get involved?

message 44: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Hi Rob and welcome to the group. If you work your way down the home page you can see all the folders and discussion threads within them. Just peruse and get a feel and join in where you can if you like. Please do introduce yourself on the introductions thread. Don't hesitate in asking questions if it feels a bit overwhelming.

message 45: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 1242 comments Hi Rob. The hot seat thread will be a good place to visit, once you've introduced yourself. Just don't feel awkward about joining in. Everyone is friendly here.

message 46: by Dawn (new)

Dawn G | 908 comments DianeAlice and Ty hit the nail on the head! If the message doesn't apply or interest you, delete it. What is the big deal? If someone is going to leave this wonerful group because of a few messages then nothing would have pleased him/her anyway. Some people just like to complain so it seems.

I think you guys do an awesome job keeping us informed, involving yourselves in all the threads, and most importantly I think, making each one of us feel welcome, respected and part of the family. I may be a tad overprotective of this group, you think? GRRRRRR!

message 47: by Skye (new)

Skye | 814 comments Hi again, Rob: Dawn, Diane and Ty said it. Read the comments and jump in whenever you want. No one is judgmental everyone is very kind.

message 48: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5582 comments Dawn wrote: "DianeAlice and Ty hit the nail on the head! If the message doesn't apply or interest you, delete it. What is the big deal? If someone is going to leave this wonerful group because of a few messages..."

I ditto what Dawn says. All of it.

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* (sandyj21) | 4522 comments Robin wrote: "Hey Sean mate, just like to say although I'm a recent member of the group, I can all ready see that you and all the moderators are doing a great job. Glad to be part of the group."

Well said Robin, and I agree 100% with you! 8:D

message 50: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisamary) This looks like a great group! A big thanks to Christine for the invite! I love a good thriller. I look forward to chatting with the group and picking up some good recommendations. Thanks to the mods for the warm welcome! :)

« previous 1 3