A Good Thriller discussion

Suggestions/Comments > Post Your Thoughts On Future BOTM Ideas

Comments Showing 1-50 of 166 (166 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Sean Peters | 9635 comments Mod
Hello members,

I am hoping here we can have a huge amount of posts on your thoughts of the future ideas for a BOTM.

Recently the popularity for this has dropped, as our Book Pal has become more successful, and also the great success of the Q & A's as well.

So I will message the whole group and ask YOU for your thoughts.

message 2: by Christine (last edited Oct 24, 2014 12:55PM) (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5657 comments I would think that a BOTM could be combined with a Q&A event. For example, Creep could be the Nov or Dec BOTM (whenever Jennifer is coming). Then when our group member does his or her Q&A, a book from that author could be BOTM. If no Q&A is scheduled, then any thriller could be voted on for BOTM. I think a BOTM plus a Q&A book both could really cut reader involvement for both discussions.

Personally, I think when there is no big name author available for a Q&A, we might want to reward our own group authors who are posting on our threads with Q&A slots versus those authors that are hit and run.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I completely agree with Christine's suggestion. I personally really like the idea of a BOTM.

message 4: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) | 823 comments Yeah great idea Christine. :)

message 5: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5765 comments Mod
Something along the lines of what I was thinking, Christine!;)

message 6: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Yes I am hoping members will read Creep and Freak for when Jennifer Hillier comes in mid November.

This does make sense as we hopefully will have more members ask questions for the author.

Active authors here should get a chance to do a Q & A if they would like to, hopefully some will let me know.

But I guess I will not persuade you Janet to read the book again....... LOL, no running away !

message 7: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5657 comments Sean wrote: "Yes I am hoping members will read Creep and Freak for when Jennifer Hillier comes in mid November.

This does make sense as we hopefully will have more members ask questions for the author.

Active..."

So, Sean, are you saying that if an author is active with our group and would like to do a Q&A, he/she should let you know? If that is what you are saying, maybe a group message should go out to that effect rather than count on everyone to read this thread.

message 8: by Perri (new)

Perri Yes, I had Freak in mind for my BOTM for November, and agree with Christine that too many book dilutes the response. I also think being consistent and clear about what book we're reading and when would help. Maybe at the end of the month, when you send out notices for people to sign up for Book Pal, you could invite members to vote on a poll, and to announce the book winner with the book pal selections. I think it would be fun to mix up books we vote on-one month horror, psych thriller, classic, new release, Swedish thriller, just a few off the top of my head.. mixed up with the Q and As from authors.

message 9: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Some good ideas there Perri!

message 10: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 1242 comments I've just requested Creep from the library. Hopefully it will have arrived and been read in time.

message 11: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5657 comments Perri wrote: "Yes, I had Freak in mind for my BOTM for November, and agree with Christine that too many book dilutes the response. I also think being consistent and clear about what book we're reading and when w..."

Some really good thoughts there, Perri.

message 12: by Sean, Moderator (last edited Oct 25, 2014 09:57AM) (new)

Yes all good points.

One reason for sending a group message for suggestions were for a few reasons.

1. Our book of the month has fallen a little, sadly something Lorrea looked after but is unable to at the moment.

2. I want to encourage author members to be "more" part of the group, some are like Ty, David, Victoria, but some join promote their book then disappear, although I do understand the importance of promoting their own books I want them to be part of the group.

This makes authors look at the books by other author members and makes them more active in the group.

3. As we have a membership of 1,400 odd members to hope that more members would reply to give their ideas and options.

4. I think, personally the top author Q & A is a major part of the success of the group and I also think that our own authors Q & A could be as well.

But when Mark Sennen did a Q & A for us he got 3-4 questions and was pretty let down, which I understand, so this shows we must give good notice for all Q & A for members to take part and read books.

Also I have a difficult time to confirm dates for major authors as often away promoting/signing books, so replies can be often delayed.

Karin Slaughter a lovely lady but her publishing team sent a total of 14-15 e-mails to confirm
everything.

Reading Creep and Freak is going to be good for our next month read as I know Jennifer Hillier has agreed.

Also trying to read David Staniforth book as David has also agreed to do a Q & A, and his book is on special with Amazon at the moment.

Member author Dawn Whidden has asked to do a Q & A as well.

Ty, I know many have read his two books and I hope he will offer to do a Q & A as well (tried to buy the paperback version on Amazon yesterday for sale at £118.00)(first book).

Since yesterday's group message quite a few private messages to go through as well.

Waiting for more to get more varied thoughts.

I just would like more active members, more thoughts and try to keep this group active, fun and friendly and do things just a little different from other groups.

message 13: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 1242 comments As a relatively unknown Author, your point on Mark Sennen, is a bit of a fear for me. Hopefully, though, it will work with enough notice. Obviously fame has a big magnetic draw.

Is Ty's paperback really £118, Sean or is that a typo.

If not, mine's a real bargain at £5.15 :~)

message 14: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Just to add to Sean's comments. One of the main things we want to find out is if members want BOTM? How much interest is there? We understand about the cost implications (a big reason for Book Pals working so well, it is a great concept). And we understand that members have commitments elsewhere, but if we could just gauge what is wanted, what ideas you have, it would help enormously.

message 15: by Sean, Moderator (new)

I do not know why, I tried to buy both his books, paperback, did buy Freak by Jennifer Hillier.

It was £118.00, a little expensive, Ty help!

David, your agent Christine will help you out, is already actually.

message 16: by Janet , Moderator (new)

David wrote: "As a relatively unknown Author, your point on Mark Sennen, is a bit of a fear for me. Hopefully, though, it will work with enough notice. Obviously fame has a big magnetic draw.

Is Ty's paperback..."

Lol!

I can understand your fears, David, it's worrying enough with the bigger names.

I have some questions, so I'm ready!! ;)

message 17: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Sean wrote: "I do not know why, I tried to buy both his books, paperback, did buy Freak by Jennifer Hillier.

It was £118.00, a little expensive, Ty help!

David, your agent Christine will help you out, is alre..."

I've seen one author's book at nearly a thousand, even he flipped!!!

message 18: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 1242 comments I'm sure you have. All fantasy related, no doubt ;~)

message 19: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Lol! Obviously!! ;)

message 20: by Sean, Moderator (last edited Oct 25, 2014 10:20AM) (new)

The Warrior22 Jun 2013

by Ty Patterson

Paperback

£118.00 used & new(1 offer)

Ty help.....

From Amazon page

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I would like to say that I LOVE the idea of a BOTM, Infact, even more so than the Book pals between 2 people.

BOTM, everybody reads it, there is more people to discuss opinions etc with and also, nobody is left out (i.e.; people being partnered up with someone and being let down/ or not particularly getting along with that book pal.)

Just my opinion :)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Also I think it brings everybody together more as a group as we're all reading the same book, offering opinions, having discussions, getting to know others in the group! :)

message 23: by Sean, Moderator (new)

I agree !

message 24: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Perfectly valid reasons, Kimberley, but it's getting numbers involved, that's what makes it a worthwhile experience. :)

message 25: by Janet , Moderator (new)

I would love to see HUGE participation!! :0)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes that's very true Janet! :)

message 27: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 1242 comments Would be nice to have big names join in with more than their own Q&A, unless they already have?

message 28: by Janet , Moderator (new)

It would be nice and I'm guessing some peruse when they can, but time must be a big issue for them. Especially, like when Sean said, through promotional tours, etc.

message 29: by Ty (new)

Ty Patterson | 542 comments Happy to do a Q&A whenever.

Pls don't buy my 1st book paperback right now. There is a pricing issue that Amazon has been trying to resolve since time began.

I have honestly never bothered about the paperback since all my readers are readers, but will nudge Amazon and see what can be done.

message 30: by Lavada (new)

Lavada (kraftyvada) | 502 comments I like the BOTM. But as with everything it takes participation. some groups have very active participation and I havent figured out why. people have the choice to read or not, participate with commentsb or not. But it is a lot more fun if you do! I have read several books out of my comfort zone and have been glad I did! Like the Bone House! BOTMs are one way I expanded my reading genre. If you dont like the book you dont have to read it. I also won't read it if it is expensive.
Everyone has some good ideas. I hope it comes back!

message 31: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5657 comments Lavada wrote: "I like the BOTM. But as with everything it takes participation. some groups have very active participation and I havent figured out why. people have the choice to read or not, participate with co..."

Sean wrote: "The Warrior22 Jun 2013

by Ty Patterson

Paperback

£118.00 used & new(1 offer)

Ty help.....

From Amazon page"

Sean, get with the program! The Warrior is $2.99 kindle version. K-I-N-D-L-E!

Chris, Ty's Agent

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol Christine!! :D

message 33: by Ty (new)

Ty Patterson | 542 comments Thank you Christine.

btw, the first book is FREE (yeah, that's right, Kindle or epub edition) to those who sign up to my mailing list, here: http://eepurl.com/09nyf

message 34: by Sean, Moderator (new)

Hopefully a kindle will arrive next year, but I have many books on my bookshelf to get through yet.

message 35: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5657 comments Sean wrote: "Hopefully a kindle will arrive next year, but I have many books on my bookshelf to get through yet."

Well, OK, Sean, a step in the right direction. I swore never to use a reader device as I truly love real books a lot more, but I would have missed so many good books without my iPad Kindle app.

message 36: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 1242 comments Sean wrote: "Hopefully a kindle will arrive next year, but I have many books on my bookshelf to get through yet."

Kindle app is free, Sean, as a stop gap.

message 37: by Sean, Moderator (last edited Oct 26, 2014 06:09AM) (new)

So are you saying I could put an app on my smart phone and have enough room for a few books?

message 38: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 1242 comments Depending on the size of your sd card, yes. Plenty of people reading on phones, my wife included :~)

message 39: by Sean, Moderator (new)

About 2.6 gb left on phone.

Quite a few apps and photos as well on my phone.

message 40: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 1242 comments Sounds good to go :~)

message 41: by Ty (new)

Ty Patterson | 542 comments I used to read on an iPhome 3G on a Kindle app before finally migrating to reading on the iPad Mini. That device is my reading device now for good.

message 42: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5657 comments Ty wrote: "I used to read on an iPhome 3G on a Kindle app before finally migrating to reading on the iPad Mini. That device is my reading device now for good."

Why not a kindle with the long battery life, Ty? I finally preordered the new Kindle coming out next month.

message 43: by Dana (new)

Dana ****Reads Alot**** | 100 comments Well my kindle broke. And Ty reading on your phone will kill your dang eyes. I use my nook tablet that has a mini crack.

message 44: by Janet , Moderator (last edited Oct 26, 2014 06:56PM) (new)

A phone is ok if you want a quick half an hour read. You can keep your books in the kindle cloud and download the book you're reading. I wouldn't read on a device other than a kindle for long periods, hard on the eyes. Sometimes I can read 5 hours or more in one sitting, not often, but easily 2-3 hours.

message 45: by Christine (new)

Christine (clt04) | 5657 comments Janet wrote: "A phone is ok if you want a quick half a hour read. You can keep your books in a cloud and download the book you're reading. I wouldn't read on a device other than that a kindle for long periods..."

Janet, it's 3 AM at your house. Now reading at 3 AM Is hard on the eyes!

message 46: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Clocks went back an hour Christine, it's 2 am!!! Not tired, had a good sleep last couple of nights, I'm now zinging!! Still downstairs, contemplating downloading a show to watch!

message 47: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Must be that extra hour we gained!! ;0)

message 48: by Dawn (new)

Dawn G | 908 comments When I first became active in the group, I thought the BOTM had been done away with in lieu of Book Pals. I'm happy to hear that it just kind of got put to the side because I really like having a BOTM. I am all for it and think Christine's suggestions were great. (Hey sis!) Everyone's were great. It seems that we all read enough that it wouldn't be too much.

message 49: by Ty (new)

Ty Patterson | 542 comments Christine wrote: "Ty wrote: "I used to read on an iPhome 3G on a Kindle app before finally migrating to reading on the iPad Mini. That device is my reading device now for good."

Why not a kindle with the long batte..."

The iPad Mini give me multipurpose functionality and hence.

message 50: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 183 comments I have the kindle fire - but because I can't read outside in the sun on it, I tend to use that for things like cookery books that have pretty pictures in, and stick to the ordinary kindle for fiction.

« previous 1 3 4