Secret Santa gift exchange! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2014 Gift Exchange > Technical questions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 219 (219 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Heather K (dentist in my spare time) (last edited Oct 24, 2014 11:51AM) (new)

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) (dentistinmysparetime) | 1751 comments Mod
Having an issue with something? Post it here.

Oh- and don't forget to sign up at out Elfster site!

http://www.elfster.com/exchange/view/...

message 2: by MLE (new)

MLE   | 127 comments I tried, and it's telling me access denied.

MLE wrote: "I tried, and it's telling me access denied."

What about this link?
http://www.elfster.com/exchange/view/...

message 4: by MLE (new)

MLE   | 127 comments Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "MLE wrote: "I tried, and it's telling me access denied."

What about this link?
http://www.elfster.com/exchange/view/..."

Perfect. Thank you.

message 5: by finecat (new)

finecat | 91 comments Hi Heather, Is the site completely anonymous? In other words, would the giver and recipient have access to each other's personal information, such as their mailing address, real name, email, etc.? Sounds like so much fun, and I want to participate; but I'm not comfortable with giving my personal data out to someone I have never met in-person. I looked at the site, but couldn't find a direct answer to my question.

message 6: by Teodora (new)

Teodora Kostova (teodora_kostova) Thanks for the invite, Heather! This looks like a lot of fun! I have a question before I register - is it for US only? I live in London...

finecat wrote: "Hi Heather, Is the site completely anonymous? In other words, would the giver and recipient have access to each other's personal information, such as their mailing address, real name, email, etc.? ..."

You don't have to give out any personal information. As long as you have an email address with which to send ebook gifts, you're good! You can make up an email just for the occasion.

Teodora wrote: "Thanks for the invite, Heather! This looks like a lot of fun! I have a question before I register - is it for US only? I live in London..."

Nope, not US only! But you should specify that with your elfster wishlist. It matters with Amazon but not with some other sites. My Secret Santa was not from the US last year.

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "finecat wrote: "Hi Heather, Is the site completely anonymous? In other words, would the giver and recipient have access to each other's personal information, such as their mailing address, real nam..."

I don't put my mailing address or anything. I don't want physical gifts, and most people don't. In fact, we encourage ebook gifts.

message 10: by Demi (new)

Demi (thebestbanana) | 5 comments Hi! I am interested in all things shopping but I live in Jamaica. How does this work exactly?

Demoria wrote: "Hi! I am interested in all things shopping but I live in Jamaica. How does this work exactly?"

You put things you want on a wishlist on Elfster, via the link above, then someone gets you in an exchange and sends you gifts and you get someone and send them gifts. Usually, with people from other countries, AllRomance or publishers work. Someone can gift you a book from ARe or a publisher. The country difference should be fine.

message 12: by finecat (new)

finecat | 91 comments Thanks, Heather :) I'll look into it a bit more. Seems like we would have to, at least, provide an email address, correct?

message 13: by Heather K (dentist in my spare time) (last edited Oct 24, 2014 03:22PM) (new)

finecat wrote: "Thanks, Heather :) I'll look into it a bit more. Seems like we would have to, at least, provide an email address, correct?"

Yes, you do, or else no one would be able to get a gift to you! :)

Here is my profile on Elfster in case anyone is wondering
http://www.elfster.com/profile/view/9...

message 15: by finecat (new)

finecat | 91 comments Heather - Lol, that's what I thought :-) So, we just provide a regular email address (not a kindle email, for example), and the rest just works out between the givers and receivers, right? Sorry for all the questions!

finecat wrote: "Heather - Lol, that's what I thought :-) So, we just provide a regular email address (not a kindle email, for example), and the rest just works out between the givers and receivers, right? Sorry fo..."

Yup! Just a regular email. It is actually best if you sign up (through whatever log in) at All Romance Ebooks, and then it is really easy to gift through there using email. Or i think you can gift to any email through Amazon.

message 17: by AliciaJ (new)

AliciaJ | 152 comments Ok, so how do we add the books to our wishlist? We copy the link to the book and paste it to elfster? And it doesn't matter which website it's from? Do I have all that right?

message 18: by Meep (new)

Meep I've never done anything like this before, what's the basics? how do we find who to buy for and how much do we spend ie one book/two/extras?
Is it generally ebooks or physical gifts?

message 19: by finecat (new)

finecat | 91 comments Thanks Heather! :-)))

message 20: by AliciaJ (new)

AliciaJ | 152 comments Ok, so I found the super duper special elfster button that goes on my bookmarks! that is just awesome. Just push that sucker when I see a book I want, and tada! it goes on my wishlist. Very cool. :D

Alicia wrote: "Ok, so I found the super duper special elfster button that goes on my bookmarks! that is just awesome. Just push that sucker when I see a book I want, and tada! it goes on my wishlist. Very cool. :D"

Oh fun!

~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ (leilanilives2read) | 345 comments @finecat, I never listed my mailing address, only want ebooks anyway so no need as far as I'm concerned.

message 23: by finecat (new)

finecat | 91 comments @ ~ Lei ~ Thanks for the info :)

Kynthos-the-Archer (Kyn) (kynthosyuat) | 48 comments I've just signed up. Hope my registration got through. Thanks :D

message 25: by Anne (new)

Anne Kynthos-the-Archer wrote: "I've just signed up. Hope my registration got through. Thanks :D"

Yeah? I was already following you. :s

message 26: by NReads (new)

NReads Heather are gifts only ebooks? Because I don't have an ereader and I like physical books.

Etnik wrote: "Heather are gifts only ebooks? Because I don't have an ereader and I like physical books."

Nope, you can ask for whatever you want, but if you want a physical book then you need to provide an address!

~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ (leilanilives2read) | 345 comments Etnik wrote: "Heather are gifts only ebooks? Because I don't have an ereader and I like physical books."

And probably make sure to make mention of it - see what I did on elfster: http://www.elfster.com/profile/view/

~Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ wrote: "Etnik wrote: "Heather are gifts only ebooks? Because I don't have an ereader and I like physical books."

And probably make sure to make mention of it - see what I did on elfster: http://www.elfst..."

That link just brings people to their own profiles!

~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ (leilanilives2read) | 345 comments I just meant to show that I said that I preferred mobi/prc so Etnik could state she preferred physical books.

~Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ wrote: "I just meant to show that I said that I preferred mobi/prc so Etnik could state she preferred physical books."

Yeah, but what I'm saying is that when I click on the link I see my OWN profile, not yours. I can't see what you said you preferred. :)

~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ (leilanilives2read) | 345 comments oh, lol. http://www.elfster.com/profile/view/6...

if that doesn't work - this is what it says:

MM+ / MMF Dirty, sexy reads.Prefer Amazon but some might not be available at Amazon (censoring bastids!). I prefer mobi/prc but do have Calibre and can convert so have purchased from Kobo, Torquere, Dreamspinner, Smashwords etc.

Last year, MMF was first but MM has beaten that out.

~Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ wrote: "oh, lol. http://www.elfster.com/profile/view/6...

if that doesn't work - this is what it says:

MM+ / MMF Dirty, sexy reads.Prefer Amazon but some might not be available at Amazon (censoring ..."

That link worked!

message 34: by Krista (new)

Krista (kristaray) | 6 comments You may have already answered this - if so I'm sorry - but do we just pick someone to give a gift to from their elfster wish list or do you pair us up with someone? Thanks Heather

message 35: by Krista (new)

Krista (kristaray) | 6 comments You may have already answered this - if so I'm sorry - but do we just pick someone to give a gift to from their elfster wish list or do you pair us up with someone? Thanks Heather

Krista wrote: "You may have already answered this - if so I'm sorry - but do we just pick someone to give a gift to from their elfster wish list or do you pair us up with someone? Thanks Heather"

You will get matched up randomly on the assigned date (I think it is December 1st). It will tell you on elfster who you got matched up with!

message 37: by AliciaJ (new)

AliciaJ | 152 comments Hi Heather, not sure if someone already asked this one, but can we buy our partner more than one book if we stay within the cost limit?

Alicia wrote: "Hi Heather, not sure if someone already asked this one, but can we buy our partner more than one book if we stay within the cost limit?"

Oh yeah. Last year, people bought 3-4 books or more, if the prices were right. I bought a ton because I found some good sales.

message 39: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Is there a cost limit? How many books should we have listed on elf?

message 40: by Heather K (dentist in my spare time) (last edited Oct 30, 2014 06:28PM) (new)

Victoria wrote: "Is there a cost limit? How many books should we have listed on elf?"

There is. It is $15. I put a lot of books on my Elfster wish list so people could shop around and find deals. Last year, ARe had a great sale in the beginning of December and lots of people bought for their Secret Santa then.

I also don't mind surprise gifts so I told people to look through my to-read shelf on GRs.

message 42: by AliciaJ (last edited Oct 30, 2014 06:35PM) (new)

AliciaJ | 152 comments Oh yeah I often find really good deals at ARe and amazon too.

~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~ (leilanilives2read) | 345 comments The ARE deal was great - I got enough rebates between the Exchange and books for me to buy a couple more books.

message 44: by Wart (new)

Wart Hill | 6 comments Why does it need my gender?!

Wart wrote: "Why does it need my gender?!"

What needs your gender? Elfster?

I don't remember putting my gender anywhere...

message 47: by Wart (new)

Wart Hill | 6 comments It wouldn't let me join if I didn't select a gender.

Oh well

Wart wrote: "It wouldn't let me join if I didn't select a gender.

Oh well"

Elfster wouldn't let you? That's so strange! I would sent them an email.

message 49: by Wart (new)

Wart Hill | 6 comments I'm having some trouble with the finding stuff. Like. I just want to browse m/m and queer romance, but I'm not sure what to search to get a good selection to look over!

Wart wrote: "I'm having some trouble with the finding stuff. Like. I just want to browse m/m and queer romance, but I'm not sure what to search to get a good selection to look over!"

I just entered books that I wanted from my to-read list and then clicked on them. I don't know if elfster is a great site for browsing. Or are you talking about ARe?

« previous 1 3 4 5
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.