Space Opera Fans discussion

Reader Discussions > What are some good books about...

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kean (new)

Kean | 4 comments Humans, still restricted to the solar system, and or just starting out ( not interstellar yet). Kind of like Pushing Ice, The books with with James Holden in them, can anyone suggest some good reads?

message 2: by Rion (last edited Oct 24, 2014 05:27AM) (new)

Rion  (orion1) | 108 comments Leviathan Wakes come to mind immediately. Another I just read called Stardance is also pre-interstellar. And as I keep thinking Red Mars / Green Mars occurred to me. Or how about some classic Heinlein like The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress or Stranger in a Strange Land. And of course the extremely popular The Martian.

message 3: by Anna (last edited Oct 24, 2014 09:18PM) (new)

Anna Erishkigal (annaerishkigal) I second Rion's suggestion of the Mars Trilogy:

Red Mars (Mars Trilogy, #1) by Kim Stanley Robinson Green Mars (Mars Trilogy, #2) by Kim Stanley Robinson Blue Mars (Mars Trilogy, #3) by Kim Stanley Robinson The Martians (Mars Trilogy, #3.5) by Kim Stanley Robinson

message 4: by Kean (new)

Kean | 4 comments Ahh Levithian wakes that's the one with James Holden- read all 3 or 4 of them- last one has them jumping interstellar but still great.

Will look into the Mars ones, I'm pretty sure I started reading one where a female was outside a perimeter of a city in her suit and vaguely remember something about the sun being dangerous etc. Anyway will get them now on kindle- thanks for the suggestions

Any others please feel free to mention, I think I am a bit over jumping thousands or tens of thousands into the future, it's been fun reading sci fi when humans are still stuck in this solar system

message 5: by Kean (new)

Kean | 4 comments Ahh Levithian wakes that's the one with James Holden- read all 3 or 4 of them- last one has them jumping interstellar but still great.

Will look into the Mars ones, I'm pretty sure I started reading one where a female was outside a perimeter of a city in her suit and vaguely remember something about the sun being dangerous etc. Anyway will get them now on kindle- thanks for the suggestions

Any others please feel free to mention, I think I am a bit over jumping thousands or tens of thousands into the future, it's been fun reading sci fi when humans are still stuck in this solar system

message 6: by Kean (new)

Kean | 4 comments Ahh also Kim Stanley Robinson- I read another one of his books 'shaman', not sci fi but really good read fyi