Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Looking for a certain type of book recommendation!

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (bibliophileforlife) | 14 comments I'm really wanting to read a Scottish vampire or werewolf/shifter book! Any you all can suggest??

message 2: by Grace (new)

Grace (Calcat) | 99 comments Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series has Scottish werewolves. You get the first on in A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2) by Kresley Cole and another in Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night (Immortals After Dark, #4) by Kresley Cole

Donna Grant's Dark Sword series is a Scottish Pranormal series you might enjoy, not exactly Werewolves or Vamps but along those paranormal lines. Dangerous Highlander (Dark Sword, #1) by Donna Grant

Lanie (Lanies Book Thoughts) (lanieadamsk) | 93 comments Alex's Destiny (Defender's Blood, #1) by A.K. Michaels starts out in Scotland, MC is Scottish.

Finding the Dragon (Dásreach Council, #1) by Josette Reuel pretty sure MC is Scottish as well.

If I think of more ill add;)

message 4: by Vixen (new)

Vixen (thesilentfox) | 11 comments I can only think of that show wolfblood haha. even though its not really scottish, it has some accents. XDDD

message 5: by Grace (new)

Grace (Calcat) | 99 comments Oh just remembered the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriager. Lord Macon is a Scottish Werewolf. Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger

Karen Marie Moning's Highlander series is very good. Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander, #1) by Karen Marie Moning

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Oct 24, 2014 11:41AM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
One of Christine Warren's The Others series has a Scottish werewolf. I think you'd like this series anyway, even without all of the males being Scottish. There is humour, romance and a bit of danger in all of them.

The YA "prequel" series Etiquette & Espionage, which is set in the same world as Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series has at least one Scottish werewolf in it.

message 7: by Debi (last edited Oct 24, 2014 06:08PM) (new)

Debi (debisattic) | 157 comments Totally agree with Post on Karen Marie Moning's Highlander series...very good and a lead in to her fever series. Love those MacKelters! Kiss of the Highlander (Highlander, #4) by Karen Marie Moning

Donna Grant has several series that have Scots. Dragon shifters in Dark Kings Dark Craving (Dark Kings, #0.1) by Donna Grant

Love the Imortals After Dark series MacRieve (Immortals After Dark, #13) by Kresley Cole and Christine Warren's the Others.

Try My Immortal Highlander (MacNachton Vampires, #3) by Hannah Howell to sample Hannah Howell and Lindsey Sands.

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (bibliophileforlife) | 14 comments Thank you all so much!

message 9: by hIpnoticraQs (new)

hIpnoticraQs (raqnbelly) | 47 comments Hannah Howell
Has one

message 10: by Rinou (new)

Rinou | 44 comments Lucy Monroe has a historical series with Scottish werewolves, the first one is Moon Awakening

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

A Highlander's Obsession by Vonnie Davis A Highlander's Obsession (Highlander's Beloved, #1) by Vonnie Davis

message 13: by Salisa (new)

Salisa (salisawaheed) | 12 comments Hey guys!! I've got a friend here looking for a time travel novel preferably to victorian era or the second world war one.

Any of you have any suggestions???

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (phonebooklady) Salisa wrote: "Hey guys!! I've got a friend here looking for a time travel novel preferably to victorian era or the second world war one.

Any of you have any suggestions???"

Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Recently read Ilona Andrews' Burn for Me and am crazy about this new series. Looking for other new series with a similar blend of humor and badassery. Suggestions?

message 16: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Anderson (goodreadscomsharon_anderson) | 40 comments Have you ever read The Iron Druid by Kevin Hearne? There are some shifting that happens, but from a Druid's pov. Very engaging. =)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Will check it out, Erika. Thanks. :)

Sharon, I checked out Iron Druid, but it looks like a male MC. Because I review books with strong heroines and I only have so much time to read, I usually don't read books with a male MC. (I like them. It's just...never enough time!)

Thanks!
Zen

message 18: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Anderson (goodreadscomsharon_anderson) | 40 comments I totally understand - I normally love strong female leads, too. It's just so darn entertaining! =)

message 19: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 53 comments Womenofbadassery wrote: "Recently read Ilona Andrews' Burn for Me and am crazy about this new series. Looking for other new series with a similar blend of humor and badassery. Suggestions?"

For humor, a strong heroine, and general baddassery (not to be confused with asshattery), you gotta check out Semi-Charmed by Isabel Jordan I loved it! Also loved Blaze (Phoenix Rising, #2) by Joan Swan

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Sharon wrote: "I totally understand - I normally love strong female leads, too. It's just so darn entertaining! =)"

I only wish I could squeeze more hours out of the day for all the reading I'd -like- to do. Prioritizing is tough! :)

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Erika wrote: "If you like strong female leads, those highlander books may not be the best. The women aren't weak exactly, but they are a little immature.

The Feral Warriors heroines are strong IMO. However, ..."

So agree about snark not = strong. I've read way too many books that go that way. It can accompany strong, but simply being stubborn or difficult is not the same as being strong.

Also agree about physical and mental strength being different things. I like my heroines to worry about their looks, sexuality, and love life no more than the men in the story do.

Sent myself a sample of Feral Warriors. Fingers crossed! :)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Womenofbadassery wrote: "Recently read Ilona Andrews' Burn for Me and am crazy about this new series. Looking for other new series with a similar blend of humor and badassery. Suggestions?"

For hu..."

Thanks, got samples of both of those. I'll admit, I shy away from covers with half-naked people but I'll give it a shot! :)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Erika. That's good to know about Feral Warriors. Sometimes that kind of thing makes all the difference in working through a series.

Put Wicked Wind on my Kindle. I have KU, and yay for that!

Thanks so much for the suggestions!! I really appreciate it. It is -not- easy to find heroines that are strong, independent, and not mired down in cliches of patriarchy or what it means to be a woman.

message 24: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 53 comments Womenofbadassery wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Womenofbadassery wrote: "Recently read Ilona Andrews' Burn for Me and am crazy about this new series. Looking for other new series with a similar blend of humor and badassery. Sugg..."

I'm with you regarding the half naked people on covers. I wish publishers would stop doing that, frankly. I've started completely ignoring the covers. For example, I think the cover of Burn for Me is very misleading. You'd think the book was typical romance based on the cover, but it was so much more!

message 25: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Anderson (goodreadscomsharon_anderson) | 40 comments Jennifer wrote: "Womenofbadassery wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Womenofbadassery wrote: "Recently read Ilona Andrews' Burn for Me and am crazy about this new series. Looking for other new series with a similar blend of ..."
Well, you know the #1 seller is sex,(followed closely by finance & then weight loss) so that's why half naked people populate romance covers. It is tough though, because if you're book has to do with MORE, but also romance... I guess the bottom line is, writers want to sell their books. My characters have clothes on... mostly...

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Sharon wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Womenofbadassery wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Womenofbadassery wrote: "Recently read Ilona Andrews' Burn for Me and am crazy about this new series. Looking for other new series with a ..."

I get why romance covers have the nakey people because the relationship is the sell point. But there's a strange trend for paranormal and other urban fiction to look like old-school bodice-rippers when they're anything but. I think it scares off the book's actual audience.

message 27: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Anderson (goodreadscomsharon_anderson) | 40 comments Good point, well taken.

message 28: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Anderson (goodreadscomsharon_anderson) | 40 comments Gunnar is a cool name! I love cool names too - and really watch to make sure the cool names match the characters. I have a problem with the monster stack of books next to my bed! Let's see... I'm reading the latest horror anthology, Nightmares, Bedtime Stories for the Wicked by Mark Souza (uh, not romance), A Land More Kind Than Home by Wiley Cash (again, not PR...)
I think I might pick up the Immortals After Dark series -- that sounded good. I'm sure I have a TON of stuff on my Kindle... I forget what I download! But that doesn't bother me toooo much LOL

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Erika wrote: "@Womenofbadassery

Hey there! I wondered what you decided to read? I must admit to you that I never finished Wicked Wind. When I suggested it, I had only read a little more than half and then h..."

I have started Blaze , which has been really good when it focuses on the MCs for this book but it went on a side tangent with MCs from previous books in the series and I lost interst. Will get back to it, eventually.

Also had a couple review requests I had to check out, but those did not work.

Oh, and Night Shift with Ilona Andrews et. al came out (I'd pre-ordered) but it was not a good fit for me so I only read part of each story.

I'm tough to please! I will wade through some more review requests, then maybe get back to Blaze. Or something else. ;)

message 30: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Anderson (goodreadscomsharon_anderson) | 40 comments Erika wrote: "@ Sharon

Holy moly!! Your stack of books would stress me out because my number one character flaw is indecisiveness. How in the heck do you pick what to read next?

LOL. I really hate weak, indecisive female leads as well. So, i'll get into a book, then figure out that I don't really care about the characters, then instead of deleting it, I go on to the next. That might be why I have so many books on my kindle! Ha! #insearchofstrongfemaleleads =)

Dino-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮ (deliah_wilson) Grace wrote: "Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series has Scottish werewolves. You get the first on in A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2) by Kresley Coleand another inWicked Deeds on a Winter's Night (Immortals After Dark, #4) by Kresley Cole..."

Thank you Grace - I screamed through A Hunger Like No Other last night. I am absolutely hooked and have the rest of the series downloaded on my e-reader ready to go.

Also looking forward to checking out many more of the suggestions in this thread!

Thank you all!