Romance Audiobooks discussion

Audiobook Discussions > Hi I'm new here and need a suggestion.

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MsB (new)

MsB | 595 comments I just finished listening to the whole Outlander series and I loved it. My family has always listened to audio books when traveling. But this is the first time I've done it at home. The Outlander series was the perfect ones to start with because of their size and number of books. I would listen while doing house work, cooking, laundry etc. In the evening I would read a totally differnt book. It worked out very well for me.

My problem now is what to listen to next. I was hoping to listen to The Bronze Horesman series. But it doesn't seem to be available in an unabridged format. Actually I can't even find it at audible. Does anyone have a suggestion.

Thanks in advance.

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments do you want something long? or will shorter work?

message 3: by willaful (new)

willaful Audiobooks are a housewife's best friend! Perhaps the "In death" series? It's incredibly long and much beloved by most, though I personally don't care for the narrator.

Or if you want something Outland-ish, there's a related series by Sara Donati, that begins with Into the Wilderness. I don't know about its audiobook status.

message 4: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments not a series but I like Bryce Courtney's stuff - he has a bunch of historical fiction set mostly 1930's/40's, some during WW2 in the pacific, some in Australia

message 5: by MsB (new)

MsB | 595 comments Dee wrote: "do you want something long? or will shorter work?"

Hi Dee. I'm definitely looking for something long or/and with a number of books in the series. Initially I bought Outlander for my iPad but it was so long and slow at first I decided to listen to it. LOL....now I'm hooked on having both an audio book and different kindle book going at the same time.,

message 6: by MsB (new)

MsB | 595 comments willaful wrote: "Audiobooks are a housewife's best friend! Perhaps the "In death" series? It's incredibly long and much beloved by most, though I personally don't care for the narrator.

Or if you want something Ou..."

Thanks willful.,they sure are a housewives best friend! LOL...who knew, I always used the TV or music for noise. I will check out your suggestion

message 7: by MsB (new)

MsB | 595 comments Dee wrote: "not a series but I like Bryce Courtney's stuff - he has a bunch of historical fiction set mostly 1930's/40's, some during WW2 in the pacific, some in Australia"

thanks again Dee :)

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments In Death is def good - 36+ books and still going strong; Kresley Cole has a series with about 12/13 books (I think) that are good

message 9: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 4417 comments Mod
Dee wrote: "In Death is def good - 36+ books and still going strong; Kresley Cole has a series with about 12/13 books (I think) that are good"

Love both of these.

message 10: by MsB (new)

MsB | 595 comments Dee wrote: "In Death is def good - 36+ books and still going strong; Kresley Cole has a series with about 12/13 books (I think) that are good"

I may check out the In Death series. Although I have to admit to not reading suspense, which this seems a to be for some time. If I'm not mistaken the Kresley Cole books are imortal something or other. Which isn't my cup of tea. LOL...although right now because it's Halloween season Im reading Kristen Ashley's Ghost series.m

message 11: by MsB (new)

MsB | 595 comments Jonetta wrote: "Dee wrote: "In Death is def good - 36+ books and still going strong; Kresley Cole has a series with about 12/13 books (I think) that are good"

Love both of these."

thanks Jonetta

message 12: by Jonetta (new)

Robert Petkoff narrates the Immortals After Dark series (Kresley Cole) and he's the reason I switched to the audiobook format. He'd make a phone book sound interesting.

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1379 comments N death is mystery but the romance/relationship between eve/Rourke is dominate through-out

message 14: by MsB (new)

MsB | 595 comments Jonetta wrote: "Robert Petkoff narrates the Immortals After Dark series (Kresley Cole) and he's the reason I switched to the audiobook format. He'd make a phone book sound interesting."

Hahaha Jonette :)

message 15: by Jonetta (new)

Dee wrote: "N death is mystery but the romance/relationship between eve/Rourke is dominate through-out"

Yeah, I'd say it's mystery with strong romantic elements.

message 16: by MsB (new)

MsB | 595 comments Dee wrote: "N death is mystery but the romance/relationship between eve/Rourke is dominate through-out"

Oh good, a relationship within the mystery makes it more appealing to me.

message 17: by ElaineY (new)

ElaineY MsB wrote: "Dee wrote: "N death is mystery but the romance/relationship between eve/Rourke is dominate through-out"

Oh good, a relationship within the mystery makes it more appealing to me."

What genre are you into? I've never read the Outlander books so I don't know what they are but have the impression they are historical or a/u or even paranormal. What about just plain old, contemporary romance series like Jill Shalvis' Lucky Harbor series? I haven't read them either as I tend to read/listen mostly romantic suspense and MM romance.

message 18: by Lee (new)

Lee | 484 comments Courtney Milan's The Brothers Sinister series is very good. I love Elizabeth Hoyt's Princes series (Raven Prince, Serpent Prince, Leopard Prince). Not a series but I have enjoyed every one of Susanna Kearsley's books- they all have a bit of a time travel vibe. Anne Stuart's Ice series is also well done if you want to try contemporary.

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 486 comments If you are interested in historical mysteries then I recommend the Lady Julia Grey series by Deanna Raybourn. There are 5 books out and I actually think that the series is finished as Raybourn is working on a new series set in the 1920s.

message 20: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 535 comments For the Roses by Julie Garwood is a nice long book and a good narration. Others have already pitched In Death, but I will say the relationships that build between the characters is probably more important than the murder mysteries. Not sure what genre you are looking for, but Karen Marie Moning has a Highlander series that has 7 or 8 books in it. I think it starts with Beyond the Highland Mist. Good luck and welcome!

message 21: by Harry_ATL (new)

Harry_ATL | 40 comments While significantly different and definitely lighter than Outlander, I'm quite enjoying The Royal Spyness series by Rhys Bowen. Cosy mysteries with romantic overtones marvelously narrated by Katherine Kellgren. I think their are 8 of them now. Set in the early 1930's in Scotland and England. Kellgren's narration makes these delightful.

message 22: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments Too bad you don't read Epic Fantasy. Books in those series tend to be humongous.

Here are a few books from your TBR that are excellent in audio:
Easy (Contours of the Heart, #1) by Tammara Webber The Rosie Project (Don Tillman #1) by Graeme Simsion Flat-Out Love (Flat-Out Love, #1) by Jessica Park .

I also second the Immortals After Dark series. It's somewhat cheesy but the audiobooks are amazing. I'm in a slump and I'm re-reading the first book in audio. The narration is so phenomenal.

message 23: by MsB (new)

MsB | 595 comments ElaineY wrote: "MsB wrote: "Dee wrote: "N death is mystery but the romance/relationship between eve/Rourke is dominate through-out"

What..."

ElaineY wrote: "MsB wrote: "Dee wrote: "N death is mystery but the romance/relationship between eve/Rourke is dominate through-out"

What..."

Hi ElaineY. As far as what genre I like it is romance. Up until about a year or so ago I had never really read romance books. Now I am hooked. I've read easily 300 in the past year or so and I would say all of them have been best sellers and contemporary. As far as Outlander goes, yes it was historical and although there was the whole time travel aspect it wasn't overly done. I did buy the books on kindle to read but it was so chalk full of historical information it just seemed to time consuming. LOLA....I don't know if that makes sense. Anyway the audio version was the perfect solution. Oh and since my hubby and I were watching the show I thought he may also want to listen on long drives. So I guess what I'm looking for is again something that is big. Tha is why I thought I would like to listen to The Bronze Horseman, but no luck there, it's not available. I will check out the Lucky Harbor Series.

message 24: by MsB (new)

MsB | 595 comments Lee wrote: "Courtney Milan's The Brothers Sinister series is very good. I love Elizabeth Hoyt's Princes series (Raven Prince, Serpent Prince, Leopard Prince). Not a series but I have enjoyed every one of Susan..."

thanks lee :)

message 25: by MsB (new)

MsB | 595 comments Lauren wrote: "If you are interested in historical mysteries then I recommend the Lady Julia Grey series by Deanna Raybourn. There are 5 books out and I actually think that the series is finished as Raybourn is w..."

Thanks lauren

message 26: by MsB (new)

MsB | 595 comments Dawn wrote: "For the Roses by Julie Garwood is a nice long book and a good narration. Others have already pitched In Death, but I will say the relationships that build between the characters is probably more im..."

Hi Dawn. I think For The Roses may have also been a TV movie. It sounds familiar. Thanks

message 27: by MsB (new)

MsB | 595 comments Harry_ATL wrote: "While significantly different and definitely lighter than Outlander, I'm quite enjoying The Royal Spyness series by Rhys Bowen. Cosy mysteries with romantic overtones marvelously narrated by Kather..."

thanks Harry. I will check them out

message 28: by MsB (new)

MsB | 595 comments D.G. wrote: "Too bad you don't read Epic Fantasy. Books in those series tend to be humongous.

Here are a few books from your TBR that are excellent in audio:
Easy (Contours of the Heart, #1) by Tammara Webber[bookcover:The Rosie Proje..."

Thank D.G. Actually before getting into romance all I read was fantasy, historical fiction, Arthurian legends and some sci if.

message 29: by MsB (new)

MsB | 595 comments OH....I thought of something else that I would like in a book. I've come to prefer my characters to be a bit older. So many romance books are about 20 something's and yes I read them. But I definitely prefer when the characters are older, 40s, 50s, or more. I think authors are missing out on a whole group of readers by not writing more romances involving :::cough::: cough:::: seasoned lovers :)

message 30: by Moriah (new)

Moriah | 497 comments The Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig has one title in particular that has a romance with older characters, The Passion of the Purple Plumeria. The series is set mainly in the Napoleonic war, but it also tells the ongoing story of Eloise and Colin in the current day.

message 31: by MsB (new)

MsB | 595 comments Moriah wrote: "The Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig has one title in particular that has a romance with older characters, The Passion of the Purple Plumeria. The series is set mainly in the..."

Thanks Moriah. I will check it out :)

message 32: by Jane (PS) (last edited Oct 24, 2014 06:14PM) (new)

Jane (PS) D.G. wrote: "The Rosie Project (Don Tillman #1) by Graeme Simsion..."

I've just listening to The Rosie Project and LOVED it. One MC is a little older - late 30s; and most of the supporting characters are older.

message 33: by MsB (new)

MsB | 595 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "D.G. wrote: "The Rosie Project (Don Tillman #1) by Graeme Simsion..."

I've just listening to The Rosie Project and LOVED it. One MC is a little older - late 30s; and most of the supporting char..."

Thanks Jane. I have that on my list to read. But maybe I should consider reading it. I'm going to continue looking this weekend to see if I can find some long winded epic love story to listen to. One that I would love but would want to sit and read :)

message 34: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments If you like urban fantasy you could try the Mercedes Thompson series by Patricia Briggs, narrated by Lorelei King. Or the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews, narrated by Renee Raudman. Hands down some of my favorite listening ever.

message 35: by Lee (new)

Lee | 484 comments Moriah wrote: "The Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig has one title in particular that has a romance with older characters, The Passion of the Purple Plumeria. The series is set mainly in the..."

Really is a great series, both to read and to listen.

message 36: by Christina (new)

Christina | 54 comments Or if you want something Outland-ish, there's a related series by Sara Donati, that begins with Into the Wilderness. I don't know about its audiobook status.

I second the recommendation of the Sara Donati books. I listened to them all, and they are very good historical fiction. Good narrations by Kate Reading.

message 37: by V_Nerdbooks (new)

V_Nerdbooks | 58 comments I loved Flat Out Love in audio, really good.

message 38: by Jonetta (new)

What about Jean M. Auel's Earth Children series, beginning with The Clan of the Cave Bear? I've only listened to this series (first four books) and loved them. It's a bit different and they are huge stories in length.
The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children, #1) by Jean M. Auel

message 39: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 486 comments Another option for lengthy audiobooks is the All Souls trilogy by Deborah Harkness. They are a mix of historical fiction and urban fantasy. Excellent writing and very detailed historical background. Each book is about 24 hours in listening time.

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy, #2) by Deborah Harkness The Book of Life (All Souls Trilogy, #3) by Deborah Harkness

message 40: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 2008 comments Mod
I'm listening to book 1 now. They are very lengthy. I agree.

message 41: by ⚓ Basil ⚓ (new)

⚓ Basil ⚓ Since you are reading the Ghost series, you might check out Kristen Ashley's Rock Chick series. It's is pretty good on audio. I also liked The Gamble, and it's long.

My personal opinion here, but I didn't like the reader for the Dream Man series (Wild Man, Motorcycle Man). She has a pleasant, animated voice, but she doesn't get the cadence of KA's material. She pauses at weird times and stresses wrong words. That said, the books have great "performance" reviews on Audible, so it could be just me.

message 42: by ⚓ Basil ⚓ (new)

⚓ Basil ⚓ JaneA wrote: "If you like urban fantasy you could try the Mercedes Thompson series by Patricia Briggs, narrated by Lorelei King. Or the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews, narrated by Renee Raudman. Hands down..."

Mercedes Thompson is one of my re-listens. It's wonderful.

message 43: by JaneA (new)

JaneA | 485 comments ៚☠Basil☠៚ wrote: "My personal opinion here, but I didn't like the reader for the Dream Man series (Wild Man, Motorcycle Man). She has a pleasant, animated voice, but she doesn't get the cadence of KA's material. She pauses at weird times and stresses wrong words. That said, the books have great "performance" reviews on Audible, so it could be just me. ..."

No, it's not just you! I loathed this narrator (Kate Russell) and Motorcycle Man was one of the few books I returned to Audible with a DNF. I've said it before, but giving her West Coast and Colorado natives a Jersey accent is just wrong, wrong, wrong.

message 44: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Great discussion!

I'm moving this thread to Audiobook Discussions.

message 45: by V_Nerdbooks (new)

V_Nerdbooks | 58 comments I love the Rock Chick series on audio, I'm up to book #4 and loving each book better than the last.