2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Monthly Challenges > November: The History of Fireworks Mini Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kara (last edited Oct 27, 2014 07:31AM) (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3978 comments THE HISTORY OF FIREWORKS MINI CHALLENGE
Duration: November 1 - 30, 2014

The theme for November is fireworks, and this challenge explores the history of fireworks through different settings.

1. Fireworks were invented in China in the 7th century. Read a book with a character of Chinese origin or a book that takes place in China.

2. Fireworks were often use to entertain emperors. Read a book about royalty or a book that takes place in an empire.

3. Skyrockets (aerial fireworks that provide their own propulsion). Read a book about war or a book that takes place in a war-torn country.

4. In the 13th century, fireworks spread to the Arabian peninsula, then in the 17th and 18th centuries, fireworks spread to Europe. Read a book that has to do with travel or a book that takes place in either an Arabic country or Europe.

-----

Cassandra has volunteered to be the leader for this challenge. Thank you, Cassandra!

message 2: by Megan BG (last edited Dec 09, 2014 07:09AM) (new)

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1397 comments 2.

1. Read a book with a character of Chinese origin or a book that takes place in China.

2. Read a book about royalty or a book that takes place in an empire.
King Lear - 12/9

3. Read a book about war or a book that takes place in a war-torn country.
Hollow City - 11/23

4. Read a book that has to do with travel or a book that takes place in either an Arabic country or Europe.
The Wolf of Wall Street - 11/25

3/2

message 3: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Mongillo | 310 comments I'll try for one . .

message 4: by Cassandra (last edited Nov 27, 2014 03:59PM) (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments I'd be happy to lead this challenge!

Participants:
Megan | 2/2
Carrie | 0/1
Emily | 0/4
Elsbeth | 3/3
Chris | 4/4
Brian | 0/1
Cassandra | 4/4
Brianna | 0/4
Danielle | 0/2
Reija | 0/1
Daphne | 2/4
Robin | 4/4
Emily~ | 0/3

TOTAL | 19/35
54% complete

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Put me down for 4

1. Read a book with a character of Chinese origin or a book that takes place in China.

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (I beleive a part of it takes place in China, although please correct me if I'm wrong)

2. Read a book about royalty or a book that takes place in an empire.

A Game of Thrones

3. Read a book about war or a book that takes place in a war-torn country.

A Thousand Splendid Suns

4. Read a book that has to do with travel or a book that takes place in either an Arabic country or Europe.

The Summer of France

Progress: 0/4

message 6: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 242 comments I want to try 3!

message 7: by ChrisP (new)

ChrisP Poyner | 385 comments Put me down for two.

message 8: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Welcome to the challenge, everyone!

message 9: by Brian (last edited Oct 29, 2014 08:57PM) (new)

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments I'll try for one just because the book I am reading for it is very long and will take me forever to finish.

3. Skyrockets (aerial fireworks that provide their own propulsion). Read a book about war or a book that takes place in a war-torn country.

Winter of the World

Progress 0/1

message 10: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments I added you, Brian!

One of the books I'm planning to read this month is Fall of Giants. I've heard so much about these books, and now that I'm done with the Song of Ice and Fire books for now, I can finally start to read some other long books. You'll have to share what you think of Winter of the World.

message 11: by Brian (last edited Oct 29, 2014 11:20PM) (new)

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments I definitely will! I just donated a bunch of my books that I've read this past year to a book drive at work today because there will be a used book sale next week and Fall of Giants was one of them. I love Ken Follett and it's such a great series that teaches you so much about history while also weaving in multiple storylines and characters you care about.

message 12: by Brianna Andreda (new)

Brianna Andreda | 268 comments I'll try all 4

message 13: by Elsbeth (last edited Oct 31, 2014 11:07AM) (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 242 comments I really love those historical novels by Ken Follett! I haven't read the last one, yet. But I can assure you that Fall of Giants is a great book (and so is #2 of the series)! I read part 2 a while after I read the first, so I was afraid I wouldn't remember the personages any more. But while reading, everything from part 1 came back to me. So I'm really curious as to what part 3 will be like...
Happy reading, Cassandra!

message 14: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellecobbaertbe) | 468 comments I try to do two.

message 15: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Welcome to the challenge, Brianna and Danielle!

message 16: by Reija (last edited Nov 15, 2014 02:30AM) (new)

Reija | 307 comments Just one for me, this time.

Update.

4. In the 13th century, fireworks spread to the Arabian peninsula, then in the 17th and 18th centuries, fireworks spread to Europe. Read a book that has to do with travel or a book that takes place in either an Arabic country or Europe.
Port-Soudan

1/1 **DONE

message 17: by Brian (new)

Brian (brianfinn) | 638 comments Elsbeth wrote: "I really love those historical novels by Ken Follett! I haven't read the last one, yet. But I can assure you that Fall of Giants is a great book (and so is #2 of the se..."

I'm in the middle of reading part 2 and I was also worried that I would ahve forgotten a lot of the characters and events from the first book, but it really does come back! Glad to see another fan :]

message 18: by Daphne (last edited Nov 02, 2014 05:02AM) (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 312 comments Sign me up for all 4 please!

Already getting off to a pretty decent start too. I finished World War Z yesterday and listened to all of the 2nd discworld's last night at work.

2/4

1. Fireworks were invented in China in the 7th century. Read a book with a character of Chinese origin or a book that takes place in China. World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks - Several of the characters are Chinese and several sections take place in China. Finished 11/1
World War Z An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks

2. Fireworks were often use to entertain emperors. Read a book about royalty or a book that takes place in an empire.

4. In the 13th century, fireworks spread to the Arabian peninsula, then in the 17th and 18th centuries, fireworks spread to Europe. Read a book that has to do with travel or a book that takes place in either an Arabic country or Europe. The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett - One of the main characters is Discworld's 1st ever tourist. Finished 11/2
The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2) by Terry Pratchett

message 19: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Welcome to the challenge, Reija and Daphne!

You're sure off to a good start. What did you think of World War Z?

message 20: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnesm) | 312 comments Cassandra wrote: "Welcome to the challenge, Reija and Daphne!

You're sure off to a good start. What did you think of World War Z?"

I don't think I would have enjoyed reading it as much, but I listened to the audio version. It was done with a full cast, and it was done incredibly well.

message 21: by Robin (last edited Nov 05, 2014 09:31AM) (new)

Robin Helman | 10 comments Looks like fun, I'm in for all 4!

For no. 3 on the list I read: A Brief History of the Spanish American War written by Miss Francis Cugle in 1898. I selected this book because I have read and/or done genealogical research on most of the other wars and really did not know much about this one.

This led to my remembering a coat my mom gave me several years ago that belonged to my Great Grandfather who had supposedly fought in the Spanish American War.

This led to Ancestry and some research and was pleased to discover since my last trip through my family tree a cousin had posted pictures of three generations of my ancestors!

I am always amazed at how simply reading one book can lead down other roads and finding the pots of gold waiting at the end.

message 22: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments That's so cool, Robin! I don't know anything about my ancestors, and I wish I did. Did you finish the book for the #3 task, then?

message 23: by Robin (new)

Robin Helman | 10 comments Yes ma'am I did :)

message 24: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 242 comments Brian wrote: "Elsbeth wrote: "I really love those historical novels by Ken Follett! I haven't read the last one, yet. But I can assure you that Fall of Giants is a great book (and so..."

Enjoy! Yes, always nice to see another fan!

message 25: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Nice going, Robin! I updated you.

message 26: by ChrisP (new)

ChrisP Poyner | 385 comments 2. Fireworks were often use to entertain emperors. Read a book about royalty or a book that takes place in an empire.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Pride and Prejudice**** This book took place in the early 19th in England during the British Empire.

Read 1/2

message 27: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Good choice, Chris! I still need to read Pride and Prejudice.

message 28: by Emily~ (new)

Emily~  | 62 comments Sign me up for 3 please. :)

message 29: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Sure thing! I added you, Emily.

message 30: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 242 comments I also finished a book which takes place in the British Empire:
The Woman in White - it takes place in 1850.

1/3

message 31: by Robin (new)

Robin Helman | 10 comments For challenge number 4 I finished the book "Our Little Egyptian Cousin" by Blanche McManus, written in 1908.

For challenge #2, I am currently reading "King Robert the Bruce" by A. F. Murison written about 1899. Will post when I am finished.

message 32: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Updated to here!

message 33: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments 3. Skyrockets (aerial fireworks that provide their own propulsion). Read a book about war or a book that takes place in a war-torn country.
The Desert Spear (Demon Cycle, #2) by Peter V. Brett
Finished December 12
3 stars.

Just realized that this book fits for this task!

1/4

message 34: by ChrisP (new)

ChrisP Poyner | 385 comments 4. In the 13th century, fireworks spread to the Arabian peninsula, then in the 17th and 18th centuries, fireworks spread to Europe. Read a book that has to do with travel or a book that takes place in either an Arabic country or Europe.

The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon, #2) by Dan Brown
The Da Vinci Code*** This book takes place in France and England

Please update my challenge all of them. I'm feeling it this month.

2/4 Complete

message 35: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Awesome, Chris! Congratulations on meeting (and updating) your goal. :)

message 36: by ChrisP (last edited Nov 16, 2014 12:01PM) (new)

ChrisP Poyner | 385 comments 1. Fireworks were invented in China in the 7th century. Read a book with a character of Chinese origin or a book that takes place in China.

World War Z An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War - took place in China in a few parts of the book and had a few different Chinese characters.

3/4 Complete

message 37: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments You're on a roll! Updated again.

message 38: by Robin (new)

Robin Helman | 10 comments For Challenge number 2, I finished "King Robert the Bruce" by A. F. Murison.

For number 1, I am reading Legacies, A Chinese Mosaic by Bette Bao Lord.

This has been such fun!

message 39: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 242 comments I finished my second one: The Crystal Key by T.L. Howard for #4. It has a lot to do with travel. The main characters make 2 long (a few months on the way) journeys on horseback: from Mirah's home to the capital and from the capital to the place of The Choosing.

message 40: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments 4. In the 13th century, fireworks spread to the Arabian peninsula, then in the 17th and 18th centuries, fireworks spread to Europe. Read a book that has to do with travel or a book that takes place in either an Arabic country or Europe.
The Other Boleyn Girl (The Tudor Court, #2) by Philippa Gregory
Finished November 19
3 stars.

2/4

Updated to here!

message 41: by Robin (new)

Robin Helman | 10 comments Finished Legacies, A Chinese Mosaic by Bette Bao Lord, and I cannot recommend this book enough! It is amazing what the Chinese went through during the Cultural Revolution 60's and survived to tell their stories. Heart wrenching at times, but also inspiring!

This was fun, can't wait to see what challenges are up for next month!

message 42: by ChrisP (last edited Nov 22, 2014 10:07AM) (new)

ChrisP Poyner | 385 comments 3. Skyrockets (aerial fireworks that provide their own propulsion). Read a book about war or a book that takes place in a war-torn country.

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
All Quiet on the Western Front**** This book was about what life was like on the front during WWI.

4/4 Complete

message 43: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Robin, I'm currently reading Life and Death in Shanghai, which is one woman's story of being imprisoned during the Cultural Revolution. How interesting that we picked books on such similar topics for this challenge!

Congratulations to Chris and Robin for finishing their challenges, and all four tasks to boot!

message 44: by ChrisP (last edited Nov 22, 2014 03:49PM) (new)

ChrisP Poyner | 385 comments Robin wrote: "Finished Legacies, A Chinese Mosaic by Bette Bao Lord, and I cannot recommend this book enough! It is amazing what the Chinese went through during the Cultural Revolution 60's and survived to tell ..."

Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China
You may like this book, it taught me more about 20th century China than my history class.

message 45: by Robin (last edited Nov 22, 2014 02:40PM) (new)

Robin Helman | 10 comments Thanks Cassandra and Chris, I will check into those books :)

Two of my kids are Cassandra and Chris, interesting coincidence :)

message 46: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China is one of my all-time favorite books. The three (real) women are perfectly positioned in time to capture three completely different and interesting periods in Chinese history. The grandmother was a concubine to a warlord general, the mom was a Red Guard, and the daughter (the author) was one of the first people to be allowed to study abroad after China opened up its policies under Deng Xiaoping.

message 47: by Megan BG (new)

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1397 comments Finished 1!

message 48: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments 1. Fireworks were invented in China in the 7th century. Read a book with a character of Chinese origin or a book that takes place in China.
Life and Death in Shanghai by Nien Cheng
Finished November 23.
4 stars.

3/4

Updated to here!

message 49: by Megan BG (new)

Megan BG (meganbgreads) | 1397 comments Finished 2!

message 50: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 5832 comments Congratulations on finishing the monthly challenge, Megan!

« previous 1