Start by marking “The Wolf of Wall Street (The Wolf of Wall Street, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wolf of Wall Street (The Wolf of Wall Street, #1)

The Wolf of Wall Street (The Wolf of Wall Street #1)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  23,277 Ratings  ·  1,938 Reviews
By day he made thousands of dollars a minute. By night he spent it as fast as he could, on drugs, sex, and international globe-trotting. From the binge that sank a 170-foot motor yacht and ran up a $700,000 hotel tab, to the wife and kids waiting at home, and the fast-talking, hard-partying young stockbrokers who called him king and did his bidding, here, in his own inimit ...more
Published September 25th 2007 by Bantam (first published September 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Wolf of Wall Street, please sign up.

Chris Taylor No jealousy here, but how many time can the f-word appear on every page before it becomes tiresome...?
Kingrupin If you are talking about the Duchess: - He did not take her to London for her to see her aunt
She thought that he was a bit stubborn and selfish

Leah
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
The title of Jordan Belfort's first autobiographical piece is misleading in that it compels would-be readers to think that they are picking up a memoir in which finance and market manipulation are central themes. Certainly the thickness of the paperback edition contributes to the assumption that there are some weighty ideas to be found therein and perhaps some useful insights into how Belfort became a self-made success.

Rather, this is a confessional, sensationalist tract that would have benefite
Misstea
What a fucking douchebag. Belfort is an unrepentant asshole and if I ever meet him, I'll kick him in the taint. This memoir smacks of "but it wasn't really my fault!" Lying douchebag liar.

It's people like him, stock-washing and junk-bond trading in the late 1980's onward that led to the crash in 2008. And I have a huge problem with that. He and his ilk nearly brought the planet's economy to its knees and we will be paying the price for years, while he collects royalties on this extremely poorly
Bentley ★ Bookbastion.net
See this review, and more like it at www.bookbastion.net
__________________

Reading this was an exercise both in suspension of disbelief, and complete mastery of frustration for me.

This is definitely not a book I would normally choose for myself. Most of you know by now that fiction and fantasy are my jam, my last class for University required us to read nonfiction book somewhat pertaining to ethics and business, and this one called to me.

I'd already seen the movie a few times before - it happens
Andrew Smith
I’d heard about (but not seen) the Scorsese film, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, concerning this Wall Street guy who basically made a huge amount of money, took bucket loads of drugs and ripped off a group of wealthy investors. It looked like fun… but a bit over the top. Then the opportunity to grab an audio version of the book came up and I was about to dismiss it when I glanced at the blurb and realised it was claiming to be a non-fiction piece. Could this be true? Was this guy a real life Gordon ...more
Lise
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jordan Belfort has a very limited vocabulary. The story of his rise and fall on Wall Street. The bad stuff he does wasn't his fault. The good stuff is because he's a genius. Just ask him, he'll tell you. Repeatedly! I'll list the words and phrases, you can rearrange them and save yourself the time of reading or listening to this book. (The audio version is unintentionally hilarious as the narrator attempts English, French, Swiss and Chinese accents and they all sound exactly the same.

1. Loins --
Katy Vance
Reading this book will make you feel like a a drug addict. I've never tried Quaaludes, but by the end of reading this book I wanted to cry and apologize to everyone I knew for my addiction to them... (which I should probably reiterate I've never had). He writes vividly about his drug addiction, although sometimes he leans a little too heavily on his back pain to excuse his addiction, even as he explains his back pain is no excuse.

This crazy memoir about Jordan Belfort's time working on Wall Str
Kasia
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Between Christmas preparations, presents shopping, and yelling at the kids that they are not gonna get all the shit they put on the Santa's List, I managed to read this book. It was good, better than good. It was mind bugging!!
Through Jordans Buford's simple, humorous, descriptive writing I could easily imagine the life and the struggles of the rich and dysfunctional...
So before all my charge cards bills start coming in mid-January, let me dream about a world where one million dollars a month,
Grace
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Because every book by millionaires is about their struggles to get there, I found this book refreshing because for once I don't get to read about someone's struggles but the debauchery that comes with the million dollars - a reality that a lot of millionaires try hard to keep under wraps. It's okay to be human, to be so consumed by money that you forget who you are because as humans we err, no one is perfect. I respect people that can own up to their bullshit than those who only talk about their ...more
Char
Sep 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
First off, Jordan Belfort is a douchebag to beat all douchebags. The level of douchebaggery that he attained has never before been reached. I listened to the audio book and I'm not sure how the narrator could bring himself to even talk about these things without being ashamed. (The narrator, Bobby Cannavale did an excellent job; I think he was the part of the book that I liked the best.)

All this book consists of is scene after scene of reckless living, snorting massive amounts of cocaine, (20 gr
Apr 09, 2008 rated it it was ok
I picked up this book after hearing that my main man Marty Scorsese was going to make it into a movie. I think it'll be one of those rare books that will be better as a movie, as the writing is subpar and the author (and main protaganist) is thoroughly unlikable. It's about the rise and fall of a luded and coked-out, hooker-obsessed stock trader. I know, sounds sweet, right? Eh, not so much.
Aug 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
What did I think? I thought this book was terrible.

I read "The Wolf of Wall Street" after my husband finished (and assured me I would enjoy it), while on holiday far far away from a decent bookshop.

This whole book read like the wet dreams of an aspiring stock market king. There is no self reflection, no sense of remorse- Jordan seems unwilling or unable to take responsibility for his actions. Which I probably would have been able to deal with, had the story been interesting enough and well writt
Heatherblakely
Aug 17, 2013 rated it did not like it
The fact that Belfort thanks his literary agent in the acknowledgements, who apparently read three pages and told Belfort to "drop everything I was doing and become a full-time writer" is a complete joke. The writing was immature, informal, and unrealistic. There were too many exclamation points, and sometimes one person would talk for multiple pages. Belfort makes himself seem like a god and a victim, and the fact that he's a vile human being would almost be acceptable if he could write a damn ...more
Cameran
Oct 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
I would have never read this book if it were not for a movie featuring Leonardo di Caprio being released soon based on this memoir. Truthfully, I have very little interest in anything having to deal with stocks or Wall Street. So maybe the best advertising this book could have had was that a movie was being made on it, and that I am stickler for reading the book before I see the movie. I gave this book a shot, and I am glad that I did.

The Wolf of Wall Street is compulsive reading. The people who
Stephanie
I liked, but did not love this book. The story is one of the excesses of Wall Street in the 1980's, including a bunch of drugs, alcohol, and sex -- in addition to the heavy spending (generally on senseless stuff)... I found myself torn between being intrigued and disgusted throughout the book (mainly disgusted).

(view spoiler)

Belfort does not reflect any remor
Dustin
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
I bought this in hardback in 2007. I'll never know why it took me six years to finally read a book I over payed for.
I should have saved my money, because owning this is a waste. I really didn't care for it at all. Basically, Jordan Belfort is every horrible Wall Street broker stereotype from the late 80's you can imagine, and this memoir is him retelling the period of his life that marks the seeds of his eventual downfall. This memoir was rare, in that I found myself hating him the deeper into
David
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the type of book that you will either love or hate--there is no middle ground. It is a psuedo-autobiography of Jordan Belfort, the guy about whom the movie was made. I haven't seen the movie yet. The book is hilarious, very entertaining, if you can get past the profanity, and the totally debauched behavior. Jordan Belfort wrote this book as a sort of autobiography, or memoirs. As he writes in the book, this is the story of the "rich and dysfunctional."

Belfort was a drug addict and earned
Bridget
Jan 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
Fun drinking game: try to read The Wolf of Wall Street and drinking for when one or more of the following appears on the page: 1) mention of erections; 2) how much something costs; 3) the use of the acronym WASP. Take a shot if the phrase "loamy loins" is used. By the time you are done you should be thoroughly sloshed enough to put up reading this piece of crap.
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was thoroughly entertained by this audiobook. The narrator was almost as good as watching the movie. This lifestyle is so over-the-top that it just has be true! I don't begrudge him his money, because he lived hard. Too, too hard.
Rebecca McNutt
The Wolf of Wall Street offers an eye-opening and at times harrowing glimpse at the cutthroat world of big business, and how one man found himself wrapped up in the underlying corruption and greed of his day-to-day life.
Vicho
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No puedo decir que me haya encantado, me gustó, pero definitivamente no es un libro que considere digno de una relectura. No me malinterpreten, la narrativa es fluída, pero siento que el relato es un poco desordenado, es como si estuvieses en una reu y Jordan estuviese por más de 1hr contándo sobre sus estafas, aventuras y adicción a las drogas, puede ser muy interesante todo su relato, pero llega un momento que te aburres de tanta perorata.
Considero que es un libro que debes leer solo si te in
Chris Reeves
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It is rare that I praise a book the way I will praise Wolf of Wall Street. The protagonist and author - same person - is a complete degenerate. The storyline is appalling and will make you shake your fist.

But for all the outrage, this is a superbly written book that killed me - I laughed a lot and often. Ranging from wild tales of drug use, treatment of stock brokers, rigging the system and how to engineer a stock run, the Wolf of Wall Street gives you the real ins and outs to what went wrong in

Leslie Collins
Dec 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
I rarely ever give up on books, but I put this one down about 1/3 of the way through. Belfort is a very poor writer ("luscious loamy loans" is a repetitive descriptor), he repeatedly refers to himself in the third person, and is a thoroughly unlikeable protagonist. I hope Scorsese does a better job telling the story on film than he does in this book.
M.
Oct 12, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Basically what I expected. The tag lines on the cover say it all.

Full review moved to http://covers2covers.wordpress.com/
Josh
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Well, you’re either going to love this book or hate it. It’s not going to give you an education on the mechanics of the stock market. However, it will give you an entertaining education on what took place on Wallstreet in the 90’s and the over the top characters that flourished within it.

I personally loved the book and I couldn’t put it down. From the start it takes you on a nonstop ride of debauchery and Quaaludes. Maybe it’s because I work in a similar industry and these type of characters and
Caidyn (BW Book Reviews)
DNF at 33%

Let me start off by explaining myself. I absolutely love the movie. I thought Leo did great as Jordan Belfort, same with everyone else who featured in it. However, if you've seen the movie, you know the book already. From what I listened to (and the narrator was hilarious; he really knew how to do some acting as well, which made me feel like I was really in the arguments, which were hilarious) it's the same stuff as in the movie. A bit more explicit in some ways, but nothing different.
Pabel Lopez
Aug 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book begins with a disclaimer of sorts by Belfort about his memories of the events. He says that the events are to his best recollection. This gives him a certain degree of deniability if he is ever called on his memories about some of these events. It seems to be perfectly in line with the actions of the persona he uses throughout the rest of the book, lying about himself and even when he is doing terrible things still talking down to everyone.
One of my main problems with this book is the
Briar's Reviews
Jenny
Dec 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
I tried with this one but I had to stop before I finished. I just didn't care. I don't mind reading about an anti-hero but this guy does not think he's an anti-hero. He's an ass but throughout all of his antics is his bro humor. He's just so so impressed with himself.

Also, it's just terribly written. He uses the word "loins" so many times. If I got a dollar for every "loins" I would have made a killing. I wonder if Jordan wrote this with a thesaurus nearby. He uses big words when not necessary.
Brady
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
1. The Wolf of Wall Street

2. Jordan Belfort

3.Jordan Belfort came to Wall Street as a young boy with a lot of ambition to become successful. By the time Jordan was 25 he was running the largest brokerage firm in the world and is making obscene amounts of money through the manipulation of stocks. He and his trophy wife(Nadine) live a celebrity lifestyle for almost almost a decade until Jordan became engulfed in his drug addiction. Jordan chose to stop using drugs in order to get his wife and two k
ddri
Apr 15, 2012 rated it did not like it
A case study for the value of a talented ghost writer, The Wolf Of Wall Street misses the mark on so many levels. One of the few books that I have abandoned in the last few years.

The story telling starts with promise, as a young Belfort is inducted into the Wall Street community in expected fashion, but the insider narrative is neglected from this moment on. The appeal of The Wolf Of Wall Street is to explore how Belfort's experience differs from the reader. For those of us from corporate backg
Barlow College Re...: Recommendations 1 9 Sep 23, 2016 06:00AM
Bookworm Bitches : October 2015: The Wolf of Wallstreet 10 42 Dec 09, 2015 08:08PM
BEP090T1: characters 6 11 Oct 08, 2014 09:26PM
BEP090T1: setting 1 3 Oct 08, 2014 07:48PM
  • The Buy Side: A Wall Street Trader's Tale of Spectacular Excess
  • Serena
  • Ugly Americans: The True Story of the Ivy League Cowboys Who Raided the Asian Markets for Millions
  • The Match King: Ivar Kreuger, The Financial Genius Behind a Century of Wall Street Scandals
  • Ponzi's Scheme: The True Story of a Financial Legend
  • Mr. Untouchable
  • The Spectacular Now
  • The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History
  • The Company You Keep
  • Inside the House of Money: Top Hedge Fund Traders on Profiting in a Global Market
  • The Outfit: The Role of Chicago's Underworld in the Shaping of Modern America
  • Don't You Know Who I Am?
  • Beyond Greed and Fear: Understanding Behavioral Finance and the Psychology of Investing
  • Spent
  • Dallas Buyers Club
  • Why I Left Goldman Sachs: A Wall Street Story
  • King of Capital: The Remarkable Rise, Fall, and Rise Again of Steve Schwarzman and Blackstone
  • I Met the Walrus: How One Day with John Lennon Changed My Life Forever

The Wolf of Wall Street (2 books)
  • Catching the Wolf of Wall Street: More Incredible True Stories of Fortunes, Schemes, Parties, and Prison (The Wolf Of Wall Street, #2)
“Act as if! Act as if you're a wealthy man, rich already, and then you'll surely become rich. Act as if you have unmatched confidence and then people will surely have confidence in you. Act as if you have unmatched experience and then people will follow your advice. And act as if you are already a tremendous success, and as sure as I stand here today - you will become successful.” 140 likes
“You don’t choose who you fall in love with, do you? And once you do fall in love—that obsessive sort of love, that all-consuming love, where two people can’t stand to be apart from each other for even a moment—how are you supposed to let a love like that pass you by?” 68 likes